• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That one room with physics and destructable stuff was pretty cool looking. Having seen the scope of the game, i think sequels are very much a possibility, it's certainly not about over-ambition in this day and age.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That ending is flat out insulting considering the game was supposed to give the conclusion to the franchise since the last game ended on a cliffhanger too.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
That ending is flat out insulting considering the game was supposed to give the conclusion to the franchise since the last game ended on a cliffhanger too.
No it wasn't. It's been known for years that 3 wouldn't finish the story.

I enjoyed Shenmue 3. It's far from perfect. Era will continue to think it's the worst thing ever despite the majority of fans being reasonably happy with it.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017

It was never supposed to do that, they said several times it was only a certain percentage of the story.

I was let down by 3, I enjoyed my time with it but I honestly can't say I will even revisit it.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe people asked for more of this, it was like asking for another Colonial Marines and wanting it to be just as shitty
Colonial Marines was a widely acclaimed series that was considered a pioneer in various areas? Cuz I don't remember that at all. I think it's better to not say things if you have no idea what you're talking about.

But Shenmue 3. Yeah, it didn't turn out too great. Disappointing in many ways, unfortunately.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game seriously end like that? After 20 years and a kickstarter that's how they end it?
They leave the story open. I don't know if Shenmue 4 will be made, you just met the second most important character Shenhua and it wouldn't make sense for the story to end it there. An ending would need more build up. Lan Di isn't the last boss, he's an interactive cutscene and the red snakes' leader is the last boss who hound you during the game.

I didn't really watch the video, Shenmue is often goofy with its dialogue and QTEs but it makes you smile and it's boring to bash it. It's also an often poignant and fun series to explore its rich towns and try out its activities.

Oct 30, 2017
One of his best videos in years. The failed QTE stuff is gut-busting.

For anyone who finished...how long is that game? Like how much else is there besides what happened in this video? If this game goes on for like 10-15 hours that's criminal.
It probably took me about 35-40 hours. It's extremely tedious and very little happens. I know people could say the same about the first two games, but this is completely different IMO.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Big fan of 1 & 2 but I just couldn't get into this one at all. Really didn't like it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

For anyone who finished...how long is that game? Like how much else is there besides what happened in this video? If this game goes on for like 10-15 hours that's criminal.

I'm so sad he didn't fail the little kid QTE.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I think it took me about 4-5 days, about 20-25 hours. I haven't watched the video, it's often a goofy game, but it's fun. There is a different experience than what happens in a quick edited you tube video of gags, yes. Sometimes in the game I just sat on a Chinese country cliffside practising ku fu. It was a nice atmosphere.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people asked for more of this, it was like asking for another Colonial Marines and wanting it to be just as shitty
It's fun for me, even with the goofiness which I found charming (especially the QTEs and chickens), but you don't need to belittle people who were invested, especially because you know the series was well received and just made up the worst possible comparison to get a response.

Shenmue 2 was a lot better to me, but I smiled a lot playing 3.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is ass butter. I legit forgot that it had already came out until I saw this video.

Oct 30, 2017
It's hard to understand why anyone would enjoy these games while watching the worst bits of the games edited together for maximum laughs, but some of us enjoy the sense of place, atmosphere, slow pace, aesthetic, and slowly developing story of these games. They were very exciting games for me 20 years ago. I won't deny Shenmue 3 didn't deliver, but it would've been unappealing to Dunkey had it even been as good as the first two games.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao and this was one of the three pillars that set E3 2015 on fire??
What a shitshow.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Shenmue 3 is better than its worst moments edited together but the Dreams logo is such a good gag

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Shenmue 3 is better than its worst moments edited together but the Dreams logo is such a good gag
I haven't watched the video but I've seen some videos mocking the QTEs, the turtle racing and chicken catching when that's all part of the quirkiness and fun. Some of the dialogue is lost in translation, which is very nostalgic and funny though but it didn't ruin it for me lol.

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't watched the video but I've seen some videos mocking the QTEs, the turtle racing and chicken catching when that's all part of the quirkiness and fun. Some of the dialogue is lost in translation, which is very nostalgic and funny though but it didn't ruin it for me lol.
The problem for me is there's very little meaningful dialogue in this game. It's like they extracted every tedious and boring thing you could do in the first two games and kind of forgot to include anything that motivates you to keep going. I struggled to get to the end. You can say what you want about how cheesy and campy the first two games are, but they have lots of great set pieces and plot development. This game is a total holding pattern.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like the first time I've heard about it in 6 months. People lost their shit about the Kickstarter, people raged about the Epic Store deal, but few actually care about the game itself.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Two Era memes, a clash of super heroes, hating Shenmue and Dunkey pedestrian cleverness.
Shenmue got bashed in 2000 because of its voice acting and pacing but people remember and loved it because of its attention to details and great towns as well as quirky characters. The Shenmue hate isn't exclusive here, because it was also a cult classic with rough edges with a bit of campiness.

However I do find Shenmue 2 a masterpiece, it was a very well crafted game that improved a lot over 1.

This feels like the first time I've heard about it in 6 months. People lost their shit about the Kickstarter, people raged about the Epic Store deal, but few actually care about the game itself.
Yeah it's a cool cult series, for a number of reasons, that was well known with the mainstream gaming community because it was very advanced at the time and a third entry was cancelled and you know the rest.

Oct 28, 2019
Finally a decent video.Dunkey has been putting out real trash recently. I'm glad he went back to what he does best. He should say there.

Oct 30, 2017
Shenmue got bashed in 2000 because of its voice acting and pacing but people remember and loved it because of its attention to details and great towns as well as quirky characters. The Shenmue hate isn't exclusive here, because it was also a cult classic with rough edges with a bit of campiness.

However I do find Shenmue 2 a masterpiece, it was a very well crafted game that improved a lot over 1.
What's aggravating are the 14 year olds who want to do things like compare the Shenmue series to Colonial Marines. Hate the series all you want, but those types of comments are beyond inane.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Shenmue 3 is a particularly good game, though I really like the first two. Though it's a dunkey video, like calm down.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hahaha, that part with the pig picture, is that for real? How utterly bad can your dialogue be in a game? Jesus. And those reactions by people, good lord.

Please tell me there's at least a option for Japanese voices?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The problem for me is there's very little meaningful dialogue in this game. It's like they extracted every tedious and boring thing you could do in the first two games and kind of forgot to include anything that motivates you to keep going. I struggled to get to the end. You can say what you want about how cheesy and campy the first two games are, but they have lots of great set pieces and plot development. This game is a total holding pattern.
To be honest I think that was to do with money, less set pieces. I smiled a lot playing it, but you can tell what they could afford.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Finally a decent video.Dunkey has been putting out real trash recently. I'm glad he went back to what he does best. He should say there.

Huh? He's had a number of "what he does best" videos lately, assuming you mean just playing games and commenting over them.

www.youtube.com

Mom Hid My Game

Youtube donkey played titled deer game to qualify for EVO week. dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/

www.youtube.com

Dreams

Us gamers make our own games now, sorry playsystem.dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/

www.youtube.com

More Dreams

"Dream on" - Will Smith from Aerosmith. dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/

Oct 28, 2019
Huh? He's had a number of "what he does best" videos lately, assuming you mean just playing games and commenting over them.

www.youtube.com

Mom Hid My Game

Youtube donkey played titled deer game to qualify for EVO week. dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/

www.youtube.com

Dreams

Us gamers make our own games now, sorry playsystem.dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/

www.youtube.com

More Dreams

"Dream on" - Will Smith from Aerosmith. dunk store https://dunkeyscastle.com/
Nah nah I'm talking about the covid-19 video, the Tekken 7 vidory, the Twitter video and the videogame structure video. Basically anytime he leaves his wheelhouse. Tekken 7 just wasn't funny, felt like he didn't have anything to really say but made a video anyway.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I do like how Dunkey is glum about the recast of Lan Di

It feels like VAs could change without a fuss and that sucks

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I legit thought it was some clips from Dreams at first. Took me way to long to realize that was just the game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really end like that? Did that cause a big backlash at launch?
A lot of people criticized Suzuki about the fact that 3 - according to him - only covers 40% of the story and that he plans for a bunch more games, even though the state of the game and its commercial performance makes it really hard to get any hopes up about that.