• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If I'm not mistaken haven't the last two high profile games of the month, Death Stranding and Star Wars, had day one review embargos? Why are we choosing to pick on this game?

Death Stranding's review was launch day?! Man, you missed one hell of a thread. It was a full week before release, with code being out there for around 3 weeks before that.

So it seems he indeed made up the two day delay:

Or.... The initial email stated the later date and they reviewed it & changed it?

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding's review was launch day?! Man, you missed one hell of a thread. It was a full week before release, with code being out there for around 3 weeks before that.

Or.... The initial email stated the later date and they reviewed it & changed it?
It's Shenmue, so that's not possible.

Side note: Does that happen?

Jun 12, 2018
So the guy was spreading lies and people tried to jump on it and make it a big deal?

Im not even surprised at this point. Bring on the next phony story. Gotta get those clicks, likes and attention. We can all then create another pretend drama for the sake of it.

Tbf i have heard vg247 have done this before.

This thread should be closed. What a joke this entire situation is

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So it seems he indeed made up the two day delay:

Why am I not surprised?
8Q3fcRV.jpg

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wish I had my copy of the game. :-(

So the guy was spreading lies and people tried to jump on it and make it a big deal?

Im not even surprised at this point. Bring on the next phony story. Gotta get those clicks, likes and attention. We can all then create another pretend drama for the sake of it.

Tbf i have heard vg247 have done this before.

This thread should be closed. What a joke this entire situation is
Wait, made up what? The 21st embargo thing was real but changed back to the 19th.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy. The slipcase is lame as hell. Doesn't even have anything on the spine. The disappointment has already started and I'm gonna absorb every last drop of it.

Hopefully not but you know, low expectations lol

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Got my copy. The slipcase is lame as hell. Doesn't even have anything on the spine. The disappointment has already started and I'm gonna absorb every last drop of it.

Hopefully not but you know, low expectations lol
I got it digitally because my copy's running late, and I went from binging Shenmue II (what an epic game) straight into III, and it doesn't miss a beat...the game is awesome.

They retcon a certain aspect of Shenmue II's ending in the opening scene, but not completely...which is interesting. I kinda get why.

Anyway, if I didn't have tomorrow off work to play I'd still be wandering Bailu Village right now but it's getting late here. First impressions though, very strong. Playing in Japanese as well.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Wonder if the original 21st date sent to a few outlets was just a typo. Seems like it was always supposed to be 19th.

Jun 17, 2018
The target audience probably don't give a shit anyway. Most of us are over the moon that this game even exists and don't care if reviews badly. We just need to know where this story is going!

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm neutral over the whole embargo thing, be it the original date or the revised one. That said, I'm a backer too.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
God knows what score this is going to end up with on Metacritic. I think impressions will ultimately run the gamut and be all over the place. I probably shouldn't care at all and just be grateful that Shenmue III exists and I'm playing it, but I can't help myself. I want it to review well.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
God knows what score this is going to end up with on Metacritic. I think impressions will ultimately run the gamut and be all over the place. I probably shouldn't care at all and just be grateful that Shenmue III exists and I'm playing it, but I can't help myself. I want it to review well.
It currently has an average score prediction of 75 on Opencritic.

In a fair world, if it's better than Shenmue I & II, it should land at 75 or above.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit worrying that this author here doesn't realise that Shenmue III isn't the final game in the series, and will probably hold it against it when it comes to the final review because of their own expectations.

Someone already called him out about that in the comments and his answere there isn't really convincing either. Probably was too busy throwing a tantrum on Twitter instead of brushing up his basic knowledge about part 3...