• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
No

x0kvxarkzjb3.jpg
Thank you for posting that again but i fail to see what that has to do with my opinion that even a disc packed full of Shemue 3 goodness would still be a coaster in a cheap plastic case.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just to add to why I think "Shenmue 3 is going to flop now, everyone is getting a refund" is hyperbole, here are some numbers. We, unfortunately, don't have the slacker backer numbers, so these are from the Kickstarter.

$6,333,295 raised

26,238 backers for a digital copy (PC and PS4, so I'll assume everyone was PC for the sake of this) at $29
If every single backer at this tier asks for a refund, that'd be $760,902.

382 backers for $39 digital upgrade tier
$14,898 refund for everyone

4,671 backers for $60 physical PC
$280,260 refund

2,062 backers for $80 in-game DLC tier (assuming everyone is PC and will refund)
$164,960 refund

6,539 backers for $100 trial version tier
$653,900

So far, if EVERY single backer for these tiers (regardless of PC or PS4) requested a refund, they'd be refunding $1,874,920 out of the original $6,333,295. While this is significant, in no way is it even semi-accurate considering this includes PS4 backers and PC backers that don't have an issue with the situation, plus the money that has been contributed from Epic and Deep Silver.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But if you do that, another person will *probably* create that Epic account and increase its userbase.

You should ensure you sell it to someone who does not intend to play the game whatsoever. They will feel good because they could play it but are boycotting Epic instead.
A person lacking an EGS account who is interested in buying an EGS key, will become a new user regardless or where they buy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Hmm, gonna have to disagree with you there, chief. I think adult men getting angry on the internet about which online store they can download a game from is the worse look here.

Look, perhaps a metaphor might help you understand why people are angry and why that anger is quite legitimate and hardly a "bad look"

Imagine a person who decides to buy a house. They're investing a lot of money, but they want a nice home to live in and they've waited a long time for this opportunity. So they search around and they find a house they REALLY like. It's got the features they want, even if it isn't perfect, it's in a nice area that has the conveniences they are looking for, so they take out a mortgage and buy the house. The money fully changes hands, the contracts are signed, the house is theirs. Only problem is that just a couple of weeks before they officially move in, the mortgage company informs them that they're physically moving their new house to another location that isn't as nice as the one the house was originally on. It's lacking in the conveniences the previous area offered, despite the house being the same. They find out it's because this area is desperate for more people to live there so they paid off the bank they got the mortgage from to move the house to their lot instead.

"Why are you so angry? You're still getting the same house, right???" the mortgage lenders argue, seemingly bewildered as if they invested this much money ONLY because of the house itself. So they say "Okay, okay, we get it, we'll either offer you a different home or build a new home in the same spot as before, it might even be a touch nicer and newer, but you're gonna have to wait a year before you can move in,"

Now, no one who's brain is located in their skull would wonder why a person would want a refund on this bait and switch. Because when one invests this much money, it's not just the house, it's the environment the house exists in as well.

"LOL YOU'RE LITERALLY COMPARING GAMES TO HOUSES WHAT A DUMMY" I hear you thinking. First of all, again, it's a metaphor. Secondly, I can provide a gaming example as well. During the 7th gen of consoles, many gamers in the west constantly groaned when an interesting Japanese game was announced for a portable system like the DS or PSP rather than PC or a "proper" console. "You're still getting the game right?" Well, people were pissed anyway because it's not just the game itself, it's the environment gamers play their games on. People didn't want to play on a small screen and hunched over to see what they're doing, they wanted to sit on a couch and play on a nice, large TV screen or PC monitor. They wanted the flexibility to use different controllers (which wasn't possible on portables) or mod games on their PCs. I still, to this day, remember the goddamn fallout when Dragon Quest IX was announced for the Nintendo DS. I still remember people complaining that they'd rather play Kingdom Hearts BBS or Valkyria Chronicles 2 on a console rather than the PSP. And no, it wasn't just "LOL graphix" it was the environment of couch/PC gaming that people prefer. The game isn't the only factor in the decision to buy a game; the environment matters to.

When Shenmue 3 was announced, we were super excited to finally get a sequel, and many others contributed more than they might otherwise (myself included) because we knew a PC version (and in 2015 that meant Steam) was coming. And sure enough, it was announced for Steam, the nice PC platform we feel most comfortable playing our PC games on. And then the proverbial mortgage company moved the house we've fully invested our money into, to a new lot that's frankly a fucking shitshow. Fuck. That. We paid our money already, and telling us we have to wait another year to get it where we want it is fucking bullshit. I don't care just because I can "get the game" ,it's a bait and switch. And it will kill Shenmue along with it. III won't sell enough on its own, and many of us will not fund a Shenmue IV after this so the money they are getting from Epic isn't worth the damage it's done to the franchise. The fact they couldn't piece this together tells me it's about the money and not the fans. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just as a reminder from the last thread, we are asking members to please observe these guidelines while posting in this thread:

Official Staff Communication

Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.

• Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
  • As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
  • Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.
Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage"). We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.

Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Genuine question for a Kickstarter expert (I am not). In these cases, are the refunds managed through the Kickstarter platform? So, will we get, down the line, any info about how many people really refunded the game and how much money did that represent?

It would be really interesting to know, at the end of the day.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
That PC physical.... SMH, what a disaster. Refund it is then.

And even the refund comes with as asterisk. Might not get all my money back. Complete shit show

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for posting that again but i fail to see what that has to do with my opinion that even a disc packed full of Shemue 3 goodness would still be a coaster in a cheap plastic case.

Your opinion is, of course, 100% irrelevant. A physical version that allows you to play Shenmue III on any PC with the appropriate reader is, objectively, more valuable than a physical version that just contains EGSinstaller.exe. Upon seeing a $30 price difference between the game and the physical version, a normal person would naturally assume that they are paying for the former, as one of the people responsible for the Shenmue III kickstarter confirmed. Thus, people like the posters replying to Tart Toters would no doubt find it darkly humourous when it turns out that no, it's going to be the latter after all. I hope I have successfully walked you through the thought process of a rational person.

Oct 30, 2017
Just to add to why I think "Shenmue 3 is going to flop now, everyone is getting a refund" is hyperbole, here are some numbers. We, unfortunately, don't have the slacker backer numbers, so these are from the Kickstarter.

$6,333,295 raised

26,238 backers for a digital copy (PC and PS4, so I'll assume everyone was PC for the sake of this) at $29
If every single backer at this tier asks for a refund, that'd be $760,902.

382 backers for $39 digital upgrade tier
$14,898 refund for everyone

4,671 backers for $60 physical PC
$280,260 refund

2,062 backers for $80 in-game DLC tier (assuming everyone is PC and will refund)
$164,960 refund

6,539 backers for $100 trial version tier
$653,900

So far, if EVERY single backer for these tiers (regardless of PC or PS4) requested a refund, they'd be refunding $1,874,920 out of the original $6,333,295. While this is significant, in no way is it even semi-accurate considering this includes PS4 backers and PC backers that don't have an issue with the situation, plus the money that has been contributed from Epic and Deep Silver.
The Phoenix Point dev claims Epic's exclusivity covered the cost of them refunding every single one of their backers. I assume that arrangement stands here. I also imagine only a percentage of PC backers are looped in enough to understand what is going on or request a refund.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The physical PC disc solution is insulting. They would have been better off sticking with a digital code. Now they have acknowledged the issue of no disc but double-down on not delivering game data. It's an aggressive "fuck you". They should not have offered PC physical AT ALL but that is besides the point. They simply could not deliver on their promise.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the data was on disc it would still be a coaster in a cheap plastic case at the time of release let alone in four years so when i see people shocked that its a launcher code on a disc it comes across like its the first time theyve encountered such a thing.
You come across as someone who just can't believe other people have different preferences, and live in different circumstances as you. It's bewildering.

No one is suggesting this is some new thing. I don't see why it has to be a new thing for people to complain. People were promised a disk with the game data on it. A disk that some of us may want because not everyone has super fast internet, installing from a disk can still be quicker for me with how large new games are. Something which we aren't getting anymore because of the limitations of the Epic Game Store, their store just doesn't support installing from a disk, thus all we get is a shitty epic game store client on a disk instead.

There's a point of a disk with game data on. There's zero point of a disk with some 30mb epic game store client download.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to refund people's entire pledge, if they ask for it? Like if you kicked in $500 are you going to get all $500 back?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So to be clear....

*If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available. Backers must manually select this option in the survey to receive the Steam key.

Does this mean you get BOTH a steam key and epic key, a la Phoenix Point?

It's not ideal, but between that and refunds, it's better than some of the alternative scenarios.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The worst thing out of this whole fiasco is that it completely soured me on the series as a whole despite being a big fan of it, as well as on Yu Suzuki and put me off PC Game Kickstarters for the foreseeable future.

I guess mission accomplished for Timmy T., Deep Silver and Ys.net. Hope the $2mil was worth alienating fans and ruining Kickstarter as a crowdfunding platform for PC indie games.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to be clear....

Does this mean you get BOTH a steam key and epic key, a la Phoenix Point?

It's not ideal, but between that and refunds, it's better than some of the alternative scenarios.
Yeap, that's my understanding as well. You get a epic key at launch and a steam key once the exclusivity deal expires. You do have to make sure the correct option is selected in your backer survey.

Wickio

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing out of this whole fiasco is that it completely soured me on the series as a whole despite being a big fan of it, as well as on Yu Suzuki and put me off PC Game Kickstarters for the foreseeable future.

I guess mission accomplished for Timmy T., Deep Silver and Ys.net. Hope the $2mil was worth alienating fans and ruining Kickstarter as a crowdfunding platform for PC indie games.
Where is this $2 million figure coming from, out of interest?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

This. I will spend my time and money on an other game. Full refund.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Overall I'm happy with this. A bit surprised the Character Perspective System didn't make it as that sounded like something Suzuki was very keen on implementing, but I guess it would've taken more time and resources than expected. From the IGN Japan interview it sounds like it may still come in the form of DLC? https://jp.ign.com/shenmue-3/36804/news/iiisteam

So DLC for Shenmue III sounds like it will be content that genuinely was unable to be produced during the initial development time, and not just arbitrarily locked off, which is a good thing 👍

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile, you can expect these Epic Store controversies to continue at least until Valve relents on that 70-30% split, which might affect their yearly company-wide Hawaii vacations but would probably make game developers' lives a whole lot better.

I must say that i didn't expect comment like this from somebody who is for unionization and better treatment for game industry employees. Especially when Epic is on other side overworking developers.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I still question if I'm going to get my SIM card DLC on Steam, and it I'll have an option to purchase the Kickstarter exclusive jacket cosmetic that they changed to a preorder DLC (I didn't back the threshold for that one but would like it now)

I know a lot of people are really upset about this still all the same, and rightfully so, but this compromise at least has me calmed down on this one. I'll just be selling my EGS copy and treating this like a one year delay on the PC port of the game.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Explain to me how this: A. Is an acceptable solution? B. Builds trust in the game or Epic store?

The ONLY acceptable solution was to offer Steam keys at launch.

IMO there was another acceptable solution: a stand alone, DRM free release for backers. As we're not getting that, and the physical release is completely worthless, I'll be requesting my refund.

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
I want to see real images of our physical rewards now. They must be ready, considering the original planned release in August. THEN, and only then one can reasonably decide whether this whole fiasco justifies a partial refund for high-tier backers.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

I must say that i didn't expect comment like this from somebody who is for unionization and better treatment for game industry employees. Especially when Epic is on other side overworking developers.

Apparently Kotaku doesn't remember the Fortnite crunch which is perpetual considering it's a 'live service'? I mean it was only a month and a half ago. But the real villain in all this... Gabe eating crackers again. Sony, MS, Nintendo, and mobile are justified in their 30% cut though because... reasons... reasons. Fucking Games Press...

It's too fucking eerie how the outlets are in lock step with this specific narrative no matter how contradictory it is.

Edit: Wait a fucking second... this is from Jason!?! Oh come the fuck on, Jason. You are better than this...

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What an awful piece of work and yeah sure Epic is interested in making the industry a better place (for shareholder).

Imagine being more concerned about bigger devs making bigger cash rather than smaller devs litterally not allowed to release the fruits of their hardwork. Yup, that's what Jason is rooting for right now. Gotta love the "vacation for devs" jab though.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

I dont get why they keep pretending as if steam is the only digital store to take the 30% cut. I mean it's been clear that tim sweeney's petty moves are aimed at steam with metro exodus coming to the xbox store recently. But for journos also making this mistake makes them look easily manipulated

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see real images of our physical rewards now. They must be ready, considering the original planned release in August. THEN, and only then one can reasonably decide whether this whole fiasco justifies a partial refund for high-tier backers.

But the physical rewards aren't related to the refunds? It's for in-game assets for high tier rewards like name inscriptions on temples, personal in-game capsule toy model, character model faces etc etc I'd imagine. Even so, it's also not uncommon for physical rewards to be sent after the game release so it's unlikely they're all ready now.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The PC Physical version will be delivered on disk. However, the disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

Physical that isn't physical, won't contain the actual game.

What a huge mess. At least they realized that themselves and are doing refunds.

Really didn't want to see Shenmue 3 subjected to something like this.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Jason is really losing the plot with the whole Epic thing. I'm SURE the second Valve lowers the cut, that will be the second Epic doesn't moneyhat anymore. I'm SURE they won't continue to do this to bring in people to their more lackluster service by continuing to buy exclusives.

Has he just lost his damned mind or something?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jason is really losing the plot with the whole Epic thing. I'm SURE the second Valve lowers the cut, that will be the second Epic doesn't moneyhat anymore. I'm SURE they won't continue to do this to bring in people to their more lackluster service by continuing to buy exclusives.

Has he just lost his damned mind or something?
I have no idea, but it should be basic common knowledge and common sense that Epic isn't doing what they're doing for any altruistic reasons, and if Valve suddenly gave developers a 90% cut, Epic wouldn't suddenly cease moneyhatting store exclusives. It's cold, ruthless business.

And I honestly don't fault Epic for that, even as they lie through their teeth about the reasons they do what they do. It's always about money.

Same for developers that accept their deals. Money makes the world (and game development) go round and round. Good deals pay employees and fund development.

The ISSUE is the fans and players - especially for a Kickstarter - who have become investors in funding the game and were promised certain content and a certain product who were utterly disregarded. They were not getting what they were promised, and that is a MAJOR issue.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I dont get why they keep pretending as if steam is the only digital store to take the 30% cut. I mean it's been clear that tim sweeney's petty moves are aimed at steam with metro exodus coming to the xbox store recently. But for journos also making this mistake makes them look easily manipulated
because they don't care about actually doing any critical thinking they just like watching the cock fight happen

whether their readers are caught in the middle or not, or whether it impacts the future of the industry who gives a shit let's just stick snide remarks everywhere

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is about the best solution YsNet can offer given the circumstances, I hope they don't take too much of a hit from all this.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I have no idea, but it should be basic common knowledge and common sense that Epic isn't doing what they're doing for any altruistic reasons, and if Valve suddenly gave developers a 90% cut, Epic wouldn't suddenly cease moneyhatting store exclusives. It's cold, ruthless business.

And I honestly don't fault Epic for that, even as they lie through their teeth about the reasons they do what they do. It's always about money.

Same for developers that accept their deals. Money makes the world (and game development) go round and round. Good deals pay employees and fund development.

The ISSUE is the fans and players - especially for a Kickstarter - who have become investors in funding the game and were promised certain content and a certain product who were utterly disregarded. They were not getting what they were promised, and that is a MAJOR issue.
Sweeney said he would stop it if valve changed the cut

i for one believe him!

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Wow. Didn't expect that from him. And never in that article does he mention the absolute screw job the backers of the PC physical are getting. There are legitimate reasons to be angry here and he totally missed the point. Unbelievable.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Wow. Didn't expect that from him. And never in that article does he mention the absolute screw job the backers of the PC physical are getting. There are legitimate reasons to be angry here and he totally missed the point. Unbelievable.
It's absolutely believable considering the garbage job any games media have done with anything regarding the epic games store.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, you can expect these Epic Store controversies to continue at least until Valve relents on that 70-30% split, which might affect their yearly company-wide Hawaii vacations but would probably make game developers' lives a whole lot better.

Jason must have somehow missed the multiple signs that the 88-12 split aren't sustainable - either from Valve themselves with the prepaid card-type scenario, or the fact that Epic is hoisting off fees in certain countries to make the split 'feasible'.

edit: Seriously, Jason, put a little more effort into it than this, lmao.