• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad really how much noise and negative press there has been about this whole situation. I backed 250$, and I just care about getting the game. When I backed Shenmue III, I only asked for a physical copy of Shenmue III for ps4. I may very well douple dip on pc, but I just do not care if that is Steam or Epics game store. I used to think Shenmue fans were just super thirsty for some continuation of the Shenmue story, Even if it means getting a book. Or a manga. So getting a game, outdated as it may be, or with lots of problems with distribution, and anything else... It's still something that blows my mind. 10 years ago I felt helpless and sad that I would never see anything related to Shenmue ever again.

Maybe I just have low expectations.

Well, there it is. It's always easier to handwave issues that doesn't impact you.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the data on the disc is important than do a refund. All this pearl clutching over something thats been going on since Obama first walked into the White House is laughable though.
Hmmm...pearl clutching, right.

I'd love to deal with you as a corp. You promise something to your investors, deliver something else that isn't remotely what was promised, yet the consumer eat the shit and say thanks and will attack unsatisfied customers as pearl clutchers.

"Excellent!"

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
In other news...

"We have in effect been able to achieve a scale greater than that of Shenmue II and bring the fun of an "open world" to life."

HYPE!!! HYPE!!! HYPE!!!

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least now refunds are an option for people who feel strongly about the PC version.
This whole approach by Epic is so counterproductive. At best it gets them a bit more inflated account numbers from people who begrudgingly install their client just for the time necessary to play the game and uninstall it asap and never to touch it again.
Also, hopefully the Kickstarter PC version gets a few extras to justify tier price difference for the backers who still choose to go forward with the PC physical.
With all this said I'm a backer at a very high tier and I'm still excited for the game. I just can't blame those who feel sour with all this mess.

In other news...

"We have in effect been able to achieve a scale greater than that of Shenmue II and bring the fun of an "open world" to life."

HYPE!!! HYPE!!! HYPE!!!
HYPE!!

Last edited:

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
okhAsrC.png

Rockstar Social Club sure takes up a lot of space.

I'm aware of these 2 games and I'm honestly just curious. These are two of the biggest games ever made and arguably two of the best of the last decade so I'm not surprised they had releases like this.

Is there a database or list of physical PC games released over the last few years that include the full game on the disk? I've been trying to find something like that but can't find anything. Most physical PC games I find either require a partial download or something like that so I'm genuinely curious to see what PC games had full game on disk releases.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You know YS Net did the right thing when not getting the game on-disc is the now the hot issue. At least they've addressed it and you can get a refund if you don't like it. I think that's fair.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
But man, Shenmue's probably gonna be toast after this. What a shame
They sold the possibility of a future release on getting some money in on the current one. Even if the game did come out implementing stretch goals it didn't reach thanks to that Epic money, hope it was worth it to sully the name of the franchise and potentially the chance of another game in the series.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in the boat of PS4 backers hoping we can ask for a refund. They have literally scammed PC backers and I refuse to support this project any longer if I can get a refund. If I can't, I'm selling it.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They sold the possibility of a future release on getting some money in on the current one. Even if the game did come out implementing stretch goals it didn't reach thanks to that Epic money, hope it was worth it to sully the name of the franchise and potentially the chance of another game in the series.

When will people learn that ResetERA doesn't speak for the general populace? Remember how Day's Gone was clearly going to flop because "no one" on here was interested?

Could it flop? Sure! It's ridiculous to write it off already. I'm not defending this take, but there are tons of people out there going, "so what, it's just a different launcher." Again, not defending it, but I've read that a ton when looking at comments and articles on different sites.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a database or list of physical PC games released over the last few years that include the full game on the disk? I've been trying to find something like that but can't find anything. Most physical PC games I find either require a partial download or something like that so I'm genuinely curious to see what PC games had full game on disk releases.
Majority of the stuff (if not all) released by Limited Run, iam8bit and any other niche companies releasing digital-only titles on physical media.

Know one of the reasons people buy those games? Because when the online stores have shutdown and the consoles are gathering dust, their games will still work offline thanks to the game being entirely on the media. But good luck with that happening for Shenmue 3 on PC.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i would have thought this thread to be much more celebratory on the news of both refund and Steam keys.

Hmmm...pearl clutching, right.

I'd love to deal with you as a corp. You promise something to you investors, deliver something else that isn't remotely what was promised, yet the consumer eat the shit and say thanks and will attack unsatisfied customers as pearl clutchers.

"Excellent!"
Being an unsatisfied customer has nothing to do with being laughed at because they think a launcher on disc is a new development brought to PC gaming in 2019 by EGS.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there's no reality in which you should not refund. the only backer they need is epic.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would have thought this thread to be much more celebratory on the news of both refund and Steam keys.

Being an unsatisfied customer has nothing to do with being laughed at because they think a launcher on disc is a new development brought to PC gaming in 2019 by EGS.

The problem is that you're mixing actual delivery promise made to backers versus a standard with nowadays retail PC releases.

The problem is that if you specifically promise that you will deliver disc that won't simply have a download launcher in those, under normal circumstances, you shouldn't deliver a disc that will simply have a download launcher in those. They haven't failed their promise because of the standards in PC game deliveries changed, it was the same five years ago. It changed because EPIC forced its launcher in those physical releases.

Am I clear or do I need to be clearer?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Never, ever underestimate hardcore Shenmue fans. We're all prepared to buy like 3 copies of the game.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Because I'd never create an Epic account and redeem that key.
I would say the EGS key has no value to me, but... Might get myself a partial refund by selling it. And a second hand EGS key either given away or sold, is one not acquired from EGS at full price. Undercutting Epic will feel good, and also slightly weird since it's Epic that's letting me do it.
But if you do that, another person will *probably* create that Epic account and increase its userbase.

You should ensure you sell it to someone who does not intend to play the game whatsoever. They will feel good because they could play it but are boycotting Epic instead.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really matter to me since I was always going to play this on the PS4 but man, this is such a silly mess. Good that they're offering refunds but it's still a stupid situation to be in, I hope Epic's money has been worth it for Ys Net because that's a fine way to burn all the goodwill you could have had.

Oct 25, 2017
the fact you think people are acting like launchers on disc is a new thing is really showing how much of a fucking idiot you are, when the entire point has been about what they promised versus what is being delivered

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This was VERY poorly handle. Offers to change the codes or ask for refunds should have been there alongside the announcement of the EPIC store shit.

This really hurts the game's image. It will now be associated with THIS way more than anything the game provides itself. And will also color any future projects.

I'll be changing my code for a PS4 digital one... you guys will get ShenMue 3 but i really hope you weren't expecting a Shen Mue 4.....

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy it on PS4 or Epic Store and do my part to make it hopefully a little success so we see Shenmue 4 in the future. Good they give disappointed backers the choice to refund it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
great, now i just have to wait until post e3 2020 for the refund update.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you're mixing actual delivery promise made to backers versus a standard with nowadays retail PC releases.
Actually im comparing it to 2009 physical releases.

The problem is that if you specifically promise that you will deliver disc that won't simply have a download launcher in those, under normal circumstances, you should deliver a disc that will simply have a download launcher in those.

Am I clear or do I need to be clearer?
i get it. If not having the data on disc is a deal breaker, or any other reason is a deal breaker, take the refund.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So true. Went all to 0

I respect your decision. Nothing would prevent me from playing this game truthfully - but I understand where you are coming from.

Never, ever underestimate hardcore Shenmue fans. We're all prepared to buy like 3 copies of the game.

At this point I'm just waiting with bated breath for the Limited Run collector's edition to become available so that I can preorder that! I've been tempted to just order the EU version so that I don't miss it lol

Sorry to the Shenmue fans.
They really didn't consider you at all...

What do you mean? They continue to improve the game and it looks great. Deep Silver clearly doesn't care, but they don't care about their actual properties any more than this (see Metro EGS deal). YsNet and Yu Suzuki are very dedicated to making this the best game possible. The reason they even accepted Deep Silver as a partner was to get more money to make the game better.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GDs8Es4.png

So the difference between these two tiers is that the 60$ tier gives you a CD containing the epic game store!? 🤣
I guess this proves that EGS is at least worth about 30$ 😉

Yeah... This is bullshit.

I'm not even a big fan, barely played the first two, but I backed this... And I'm a little pissed about how this has been handled. Thank God Bloodstained is awesome, otherwise I would forever stay away from KS games from here on out.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
When will people learn that ResetERA doesn't speak for the general populace? Remember how Day's Gone was clearly going to flop because "no one" on here was interested?

Could it flop? Sure! It's ridiculous to write it off already. I'm not defending this take, but there are tons of people out there going, "so what, it's just a different launcher." Again, not defending it, but I've read that a ton when looking at comments and articles on different sites.

Mmm, don't exaggerate, not everyone here thinks like that. A previous poster considered the possibility that, perhaps, Japan might not be against EGS. Direct quote (the bolding is mine):

Not sure if Shenmue does well in Japan or not, but are they really against EGS as well? Anybody know?

Last edited:

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Shenmue has a long a proud history of changing platform exclusivity at the last moment. I still remember the impotent rage displayed when Shenmue 2 was announced to be an Xbox exclusive. The rage this time is even more hilarious since you don't have to buy an entirely new console to play the game, but merely use a different form of DRM. Never change internet, never change.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I find it really disrespectful that people are saying things like "I'm sorry for you Shenmue fans". I'm an adult and make the choices I make. Your platitudes don't make me feel any better. They are condescending more than anything.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I really fell off following this. So from what I can tell, TLDR they fucked over Steam people and are offering them refunds, but PS4 people are still stuck with it for the time being?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Given the caveat regarding refunds, what circumstances do we think they'll withhold full refunds?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
How do you feel about this, fellow Outrun avatar-haver? Kinda stings that Yu would get tied up in this sort of bullshit fiasco :/

For sure. Suzuki needs a lot of things. A publisher that will fund his creativity, like Sega did it their golden age.

He doesn't need this mess with publishing.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
the fact you think people are acting like launchers on disc is a new thing is really showing how much of a fucking idiot you are, when the entire point has been about what they promised versus what is being delivered
Okay thank you.

find me posts saying they think it's a new thing
Nobody is actually reacting to that, though.
The posts responding to Tart Toters post about how the difference in the tier pricing between digital/physical sure come across like that to me.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Given the caveat regarding refunds, what circumstances do we think they'll withhold full refunds?

I anticipate they'll refund backers either the $29 for a digital version or $60 for the physical version, and then potentially the $80 (extra in game content tier) and $100 (trial version) levels as well, but no more as anything additional was for physical goods or in-game content created especially for you.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay thank you.

The posts responding to Tart Toters post about how the difference in the tier pricing between digital/physical sure come across like that to me.

Yes, the posts laughing at "pay an extra $30 for what will turn out to be a coaster and a cheap plastic case in four years" sure come across as "woah i've never seen this strange launcher-only phenomenon before".

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Hopefully they will refund the "eat access" on Steam portion either. I paid quite a bit just to have that. Meh, going to refund and done with this project.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the posts laughing at "pay an extra $30 for what will turn out to be a coaster and a cheap plastic case in four years" sure come across as "woah i've never seen this strange launcher-only phenomenon before".
Even if the data was on disc it would still be a coaster in a cheap plastic case at the time of release let alone in four years so when i see people shocked that its a launcher code on a disc it comes across like its the first time theyve encountered such a thing.