• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind folks this doesn't mean you're all getting a full refund. Read the fine print!

To be fair, most of the folks here asking for a refund likely didn't pledge for the higher tiers where in game content would be created specifically for you. However, they didn't mention about the physical rewards (not the game but the art book, collectibles, etc.), and that could impact people.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
They should be sued for this. Promising A while behind closed doors agreeing to B is lying to your backers at best.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
PC Physical version

The PC Physical version will be delivered on disk. However,
the disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

I think the thread's title should be updated to include this, it's a big issue

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Refund for me. Fuck them. We'll see how much they give back since there's the asterisk "*In the case rewards within your reward tier, such as in-game content, have already been created and implemented, a full refund may not be possible."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I could totally see it being the case that the amount if refunds for phoenix point were higher than they had expected and epic thus tried to find a different solution with the developers for this instance but couldn't.

Either that or deepsilver really, really didn't wanted to
I mean:
Concerning Refunds

Along with Deep Silver and Epic Games, we have agreed that should the above proposal not be acceptable to backers, refund requests will be honored.

Details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update. We ask for your patience until that time.

*In the case rewards within your reward tier, such as in-game content, have already been created and implemented, a full refund may not be possible.
This clearly points out that the agreement between Ys and Epic was dependent on the number of people, as they had to ask Epic if refunds were a possibility.

Oct 29, 2017
That physical PC stuff is a disaster but I'm glad to see refunds being offered properly. A shame it took them so long to accept that they would have to given the previous advertising

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Honoring refunds is great, specially when they just told people who paid for a physical copy to go fuck themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
This game was already appealing to a niche audience, but this whole debacle is clearly pushing some of those folk away.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the disc thing kind of standard by now? Years ago when i bought Dawn of War 2 i made posts asking if it were normal to put the disc in and have it go right to download the game instead of pulling data off the disc. Is it just a problem because its EGS and not Steam?

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Needless hostility towards other members.
Great update, finally addressing all of the issues whilst also saying if you are not happy, we will honour your refunds.

But STILL people say fuck them, its a scam, they should sue. To those people i respectfully say fuck you. Get your refund and piss off, along with your entitled misinformed comments. 2019, the entitled, whiney generation of gamers.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing response and really happy to see them break down the stretch goals too, they put a lot in the game that wasn't even reached. Can't wait for Shenmue 3 and happy to see a physical disk for the PC version is happening along with refunds.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Great update, finally addressing all of the issues whilst also saying if you are not happy, we will honour your refunds.

But STILL people say fuck them, its a scam, they should sue. To those people i respectfully say fuck you. Get your refund and piss off, along with your entitled misinformed comments. 2019, the entitled, whiney generation of gamers.

x0kvxarkzjb3.jpg

Username:
@ShenmueGuru

giphy.gif

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Won't expect any better than a Shenmue Guru.

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
While I'm still mega pissed about the switcharoo, I REALLY want to play Shenmue III when it comes out so I'll be switching to PS4 to avoid EGS and then just wait for a deep Steam sale a year or so later to get my real version.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the disc thing kind of standard by now? Years ago when i bought Dawn of War 2 i made posts asking if it were normal to put the disc in and have it go right to download the game instead of pulling data off the disc. Is it just a problem because its EGS and not Steam?

Nah.

X0kvXaR.png

Nah, People like you should are the ones who should fuck off. This was the bare minimum response and we still had to drag them kicking and screaming during three weeks to get it. Plenty of people still aren't getting what they paid for until one year later or at all.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I switched to PS4. I backed after the kickstarter campaign through the Ysnet website at the $500 tier. I want this game and I don't want to wait. I want all my physical goodies. I don't want to use EGS.

I'm glad they are issuing refunds and this whole thing has been a shame.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019

Yeah fuck me, my only options right now are waiting a year or submitting a refund and hurting Ys Net. Epic is great

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
How stupid can you be to upset those who would have been the only ones who could carry the franchise to a potential shenmue 4. I'd say enjoy shenmue 3 cuz it's the last one. Let's hope it's at least a good game

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Golly @ShenmueGuru, in a bit too deep don't ya think?

I actually hope they suffer financially. Makes that 88/12 split irrelevant for two companies that are doing damage to PC gaming.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Ok. I'm out then; I wasn't even a fan in the first place, I just wanted to help Yu Suzuki to make this game. But after all that happened, now I just want to forget about everything. I guess I'll use that money for another game.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I kind of didn't expect the refund option to be so easily fulfilled. Hopefully Epic is the one eating those, since more than likely they're a big part of why this is happening since it seems like it keeps happening and it's the same song and dance. At least the game itself is still looking like it'll be the sequel fans wanted. PS4 fans also seem largely unaffected, which is great that they're going to allow backers to switch to that platform if they so choose.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this is a blessing in disguise tbh. EGS would be fine by me but i'm not passing on the chance to get my money back after seeing the game lol.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

I suggest a less revealing username next time.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
To be fair, most of the folks here asking for a refund likely didn't pledge for the higher tiers where in game content would be created specifically for you. However, they didn't mention about the physical rewards (not the game but the art book, collectibles, etc.), and that could impact people.

Says in the fine print they probably won't be aside for refunds for the game itself.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Also what guarantee do backers have that they'll get the Steam key? If they can't keep their word on the physical disc and Epic can alter the deal at their whim, what's stopping them from fucking over people that asked for the Steam version a year later?

Taking the refund and buying the game later sounds way less risky if you're not planning on playing the game on the EGS.
It's still a physical disk and a physical case? Sure it's shitty that the disk has the launcher on it but it's 2019, full games on a disk are a rarity for PC. This is better than no disk at all for me.
How is this better than no disk? If people wanted just a printed disc burned with the EGS installer file and a box with some art, you can make that yourself for less than 30 USD.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Good. Gonna get my refund and wash my hands of the franchise and anyone involved in this mess including EGS.

Got to draw the line somewhere.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017

With you on this, some people going way over the top. You *can* put your pitchforks away once they've been unleashed. That time is now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory accusations; Trolling
Man, these folks with Shenmue avatars and names really want to sweep this and THQNordic debacle under the rug, eh?

What's wrong? Your darling series is getting tainted? Someone, please think of the franchise and the corporations behind them!!1! We waited decades for this!1! Don't you dare ruin this HYPE for me!

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Posted by ShenmueGuru

I mean:

This clearly points out that the agreement between Ys and Epic was dependent on the number of people, as they had to ask Epic if refunds were a possibility.

Didn't even notice that, yea that's pretty much a confirmation

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How stupid can you be to upset those who would have been the only ones who could carry the franchise to a potential shenmue 4. I'd say enjoy shenmue 3 cuz it's the last one. Let's hope it's at least a good game
this was pretty much my take from the beginning of the whole epic stuff

someone really didn't understand what they were doing or were totally okay taking the money and running

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Entitled because you want what you were promised and what you paid for?

That's a weird take but you do you.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
The disc just contains an exe for installing EGS? That's hilarious. Put it on a CD.

Keeping my physical PC copy because whatever.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I just feel that they should have stuck to their original vision and stayed with Steam.

This entire situation just seems pointless.