• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I get excited
cfeGeN.gif

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't see why they wouldn't let all backers get a refund. Someone might have originally gone for PS4, but ended up buying a gaming PC in the 18 months that the game has been delayed by.
Wow...what planet are we living on in which a change of delivery method for the PC version is grounds for a refund...on the PS4 version?! Absolute fantasy.

If it's only "throwaway" why are Ys Net insisting on withholding it from backers unless they buy another copy of the game?
You can keep parroting the same line all day -- doesn't change the fact that digital backers paid $29, and that backers at $80 and above are all getting content that is better than what's on offer here.

Deleted member 1441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season Pass is kinda meh, but pre-order offers are a bit of a different conversation topic. Especially if its platform/retail specific. The publisher makes a deal with them for those incentives and its meant to be a driving factor, so not offering them to backers is not surprising. Is it cool? Nah, but its the way it is.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
ok? Most normal preorders didn't get that either but I am specifically talking about digital preorder goods.

Isn't that the same case here ? Depending on which store you preorder you get different bonuses. Also backers had to pay $20 more for a phyiscal copy. The game only retailed for $40.

Season Pass is kinda meh, but pre-order offers are a bit of a different conversation topic. Especially if its platform/retail specific. The publisher makes a deal with them for those incentives and its meant to be a driving factor, so not offering them to backers is not surprising. Is it cool? Nah, but its the way it is.

This.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game's publishing has been handled as well as the series' sales. At this point I don't care about it. I will way the year or two until it's discounted and on Steam and try to avoid this PR mess that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to treat your earliest and most ardent supporters this way then don't expect to get a second Kickstarter funded.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The lack of goodwill to include preorder bonuses to Kickstarter is sad and stupid. C'mon, ysnet edit: deep silver.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the feigned outrage of not being giving what you were promised.

But the pre-order good or the Season pass was not promised in any tier. I get that its kinda shitty , but retailer exclusive deals are made all the time. If the DLC isn't exclusive then how do you even make the deal ?

The only one that mentions something close is the $160 tier. The $120 tier has a toy.
Pledge US$ 160 or more
BONUS PACK
A backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll + 20 Capsule Toy Tickets + An mp3 download of the original soundtrack with unreleased tracks + A digital artbook filled with unreleased illustrations + An original Shenmue 3 T-shirt.
Includes the $120 Reward.

The lack of goodwill to include preorder bonuses to Kickstarter is sad and stupid. C'mon, ysnet.

I don't think they will add these preorder bonuses. It might be possible to add other bonuses exclusive to backers. Outside of what they are already getting.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man now ya'll mad you ain't getting something that was never promised?

Smh

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
But the pre-order good or the Season pass was not promised in any tier. I get that its kinda shitty , but retailer exclusive deals are made all the time. If the DLC isn't exclusive then how do you even make the deal ?

The only one that mentions something close is the $160 tier. The $120 tier has a toy.
Pledge US$ 160 or more
BONUS PACK
A backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll + 20 Capsule Toy Tickets + An mp3 download of the original soundtrack with unreleased tracks + A digital artbook filled with unreleased illustrations + An original Shenmue 3 T-shirt.
Includes the $120 Reward.
They're not retailer exclusive though, it's the same pre-orders everywhere.

Consequently it's not a deal between them and a retailer it's just them trying to give people an incentive to pre-order.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are some people so adamant on making this an Era only problem?

Especially when I see comments on both Twitter and the Kickstarter comments page talking about similar if not the same things? Why is this only "Era being Era"?

It's fine being excited for this game. It's also acceptable to be upset that pre-order bonuses aren't coming to the original pre-orderers. This may be a Deep Silver thing but who agreed to join up with them? Who works with them? Are they not able to say no to something that Deep Silver does? Are their hands tied or something? That doesn't make sense to me.

Regardless of how much you love a developer or a company, someone screwed this process up with this Kickstarter. And even though you might not care at all, don't push an argument of "Era being Era" just cause you don't like the thread. Especially since this isn't an Era only thing.
Any complaints towards gaming companies will be perceived as toxic and unnecessary by some people here.

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, now we're making arguments they should offer refunds because the game was delayed?

Yikes.

I may just be a deluded fanboy with a Shenmue avatar, but I think some of you could stand to be a little more realistic as well.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Any complaints towards gaming companies will be perceived as toxic and unnecessary by some people here.

The reason its toxic is because you have to be upset at the companies. Because if you aren't and don't consider it an issue. you are immediately labeled "Stupid" "Shill" or the new one in this thread " battered wife syndrome".
I mean literally the first post is a passive aggressive comment that people who don't find this an issue are "Friends with corporations".

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason its toxic is because you have to e upset. Because if you are ok with it and don't consider an issue. you are immediately labeled "Stupid" "Shill" or the new one in this thread " battered wife syndrome".
I mean literally the first post is a passive aggressive comment that people who don't find this an issue are "Friends with corporations".
The problem is you're doing the same thing, labeling anyone who has a problem with this sort of stuff as toxic instead of just the few that actually are. I don't see how one generalization is better than the other. And it's not just that. Posts like these from you:
Or just learn what Kickstarter/Crowdfunding means.
Basically imply people that disagree with you all don't know what they are talking about. If you can't see how some may think backing a project should deserve preorder bonuses then I can't help you.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully people start to learn to not crowdfund games, no matter what they are
I mean that's unfair. I have a lot of fondness for Kickstarters, and a lot of great games have been made because of them. As much as I'm massively disappointed in what transpired from this particular one, I'm still goint to participate in kickstarters.

The problem here is Ys Net decided to sell out the backers to a publisher who doesn't give a damn about said backers.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Refund option can't come soon enough.

Yikes at this project. I have Shenmue 1/2 in my Steam library but looks like I'll be sticking with Yakuza.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you're doing the same thing, labeling anyone who has a problem with this sort of stuff as toxic instead of just the few that actually are. I don't see how one generalization is better than the other.

Its not , am not calling the people who have an issue with this as toxic. If you feel like you are entitled to the pre-order goods by all means complain about it and call it BS. But calling other people dumb or shills for not being upset IS Toxic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to this company ever kickstarting anything again.

On one hand you have companies like Team Cherry and Yacht Club Games offering FREE content to their backers years after the original releases of their games. TC turned a DLC character incentive into a full-fledged game, and it will still be free for backers.

On the other hand, you have YsNet and Deep Silver. Trash companies.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Was the season pass explicitly included at the time of backing? If yes, then this is indeed BS. If not, then one can have many beefs with how Shenmue 3 has been handled, but this is NOT one of them.

Also, were this game not inexorably linked with the EGS, this thread would not have been nearly as outlandish.

Come on. I was sure Era had taught us, through multiple Shenmue threads, that explicitness is overrated. It's what backers expected to be included what matters, not what was actually written!

Such an old-fashioned and anti-consumer reasoning of yours...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry the smart backers that knew 100% what they were getting into and are fine with the situation unlike the dumb backers that feel entitled to be treated like how some of the best kickstarters have treated their backers will cover for them /s xD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its not , am not calling the people who have an issue with this as toxic. If you feel like you are entitled to the pre-order goods by all means complain about it and call it BS. But calling other people dumb or shills for not being upset IS Toxic.
I just looked at the first post and it's just someone saying "companies are not your friends". How the hell is that calling anyone a shill or dumb? If that's calling people dumb, what is this post from you then?
Or just learn what Kickstarter/Crowdfunding means.
Reads pretty damn condescending to me. Seriously, stop reading into things and then do the exact thing you accuse others of. It's annoying.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Here are the things that I would say about the situation:

The Kickstarter has been badly handled ever since the Epic stuff came in
The Epic stuff coming in clearly put a target on this Kickstarter/game for people to nitpick and throw down on to ensure it fails
They should offer refunds for the PC version for that reason
Deep Silver clearly gives zero shits about the Kickstarter backers
You aren't likely to get a refund because you didn't get preorder DLC that is some of the more miniscule preorder DLC I've seen in a game
You definitely aren't going to get one because you didn't get the season pass
I wish people cared about things more important than this with the amount of passion and fervor they do about not getting one spin kick and one jacket in this video game

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, now we're making arguments they should offer refunds because the game was delayed?

Yikes.

I may just be a deluded fanboy with a Shenmue avatar, but I think some of you could stand to be a little more realistic as well.

I'm not saying that alone should mean they offer refunds.

I'm saying that the delay would reasonably impact which format people want.

Like I backed Sportsfriends, and by the time they came around to delivering the game I had bought a PS4, so I asked to switch to a PS4 version. They let me because they didn't have total contempt for their backers.

In fact they actually just gave me a PS4 code in addition to my steam code, which was obviously very nice of them but not at all required.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully people start to learn to not crowdfund games, no matter what they are
Not every kickstarter treat their fan/backer as sub-consumer who are only good enough to give them loan a 0% interest while they hunt for proper investor who will require contract to protect their interest at the cost of those who kickstarted the game with little to no protection.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Basically imply people that disagree with you all don't know what they are talking about. If you can't see how some may think backing a project should deserve preorder bonuses then I can't help you.

I backed Bloodstained , paid MORE money than the standard retail $40 copy which had a pre order bonus of a steelbook. All I got was a backer exclusive cardboard sleeve and whatever was mentioned in my tier.
Yet I don't find any issue with it , The KS campaign mentioned nothing about a steelbook.

And no thats not what I implied. I implied that kickstarter is not the same as preordering. I can pre order on Amazon then cancel and buy on Best Buy if their reward is better. On KS you only get what you pick and there is no refunds ( Unless you don't get what is mentioned )

Reads pretty damn condescending to me. Seriously, stop reading into things and then do the exact thing you accuse others of. It's annoying.

Nice edit there. You are acting like the person I quoted wasn't condescending.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Not every kickstarter treat their fan/backer as sub-consumer who are only good enough to give them loan a 0% interest while they hunt for proper investor with who will require contract to protect their interest at the cost of those who kickstarted the game with little to no protection.
But Epic is constantly waiting in the wings to attempt to antagonise the relationship between player and developer, and there's no way to know which games this will happen to.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I backed Bloodstained , paid MORE money than the standard retail $40 copy which had a pre order bonus of a steelbook. All I got was a backer exclusive cardboard sleeve and whatever was mentioned in my tier.
Yet I don't find any issue with it , The KS campaign mentioned nothing about a steelbook.
Did the devs of Bloodstained sell their publishing rights to a different storefront and made the keys for backers unavailable for at least a year? I don't think so. It's almost like issues like this don't exist in a vacuum. It would cost them nothing, and backing is a far huger investment than preordering. Both from a monetary and trust perspective. Obviously they aren't legally obliged to do it, it would just be the bare minimum for a decent company to do after the shitshow that happened before.

It's cool that you don't care, good for you, but don't be condescending towards people that do.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason its toxic is because you have to be upset at the companies. Because if you aren't and don't consider it an issue. you are immediately labeled "Stupid" "Shill" or the new one in this thread " battered wife syndrome".

You're a rare sane voice in this thread. Solidarity. Though I got banned for 'antagonising' people who were complaining about Shenmue 3 last week so be careful.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Did the devs of Bloodstained sell their publishing rights to a different storefront and made the keys for backers unavailable for at least a year? I don't think so. It's almost like issues like this don't exist in a vacuum. It would cost them nothing, and backing is a far huger investment than preordering. Both from a monetary and trust perspective. Obviously they aren't legally obliged to do it, it would just be the bare minimum for a decent company to do after the shitshow that happened before.

See this another thing people do in this thread. WTF does EGS have to do with any of this ? I never once mentioned EGS.
I am talking specifically about the preorder goods and what was promised on the backer tier.

It's cool that you don't care, good for you, but don't be condescending towards people that do.

Am not defending EGS shit which is a completely different issue.

I backed Bloodstained for $100 I got the regular Physical PS4 copy , Backer sleeve and whatever rewards promised for my tier. Others were able to pay $40 and get a free Steelbook. This is a similar situation here , the backers get their own exclusive rewards.

Am not exactly going to call them saints for not doing this , but its nowhere near the EGS issue. EGS is a completely different scenario where they legit lied to people because they said you will get the Steam version in Surveys.

Last edited:

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Countdown to thread becoming Epic exclusive.

The lack of goodwill to include preorder bonuses to Kickstarter is sad and stupid. C'mon, ysnet.
YS Net have nothing to do with preorder bonuses. As far as the retail version is concerned, YS Net are just the developer. Unfortunately, Deep Silver have not taken backers into account in any of their decisions.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

And no thats not what I implied. I implied that kickstarter is not the same as preordering. I can pre order on Amazon then cancel and buy on Best Buy if their reward is better. On KS you only get what you pick and there is no refunds ( Unless you don't get what is mentioned )
I don't think you really get why this was an issue. This is more than just people being annoyed at not getting the pre-order bonus. I don't think anyone here actually cares about the shitty jacket, or the rubbish scroll, the reason people are pissed off because of the sheer lack of care they have for their backers. They poured salt into an already large wound.

People are already pissed off after what happened with the EGS debacle. I backed for a PC physical copy which I'm not going to properly get anymore because EGS doesn't support installing from disk(and before you ask, I don't have fast internet, so yes I like disk copies thank you very much). The trial ended up being a lie too, they specified "be the first of anyone to play it", tell that to all the press people who played it at e3. Now they don't even care enough to give said backers a measily code for a scroll and a jacket?

The fact it's such a tiny insignificant pre-order bonus if anything just proves the point, it wouldn't even cost them much to give it to backers, but they just don't care at all.

People are tired of being walked all over by Deep Silver.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Don't worry the smart backers that knew 100% what they were getting into and are fine with the situation unlike the dumb backers that feel entitled to be treated like how some of the best kickstarters have treated their backers will cover for them /s xD

Luckily, there are other kinds of backers in addition to those two.

For example, there are the ones that are moderately bummed about not getting the preorder bonus but don't need to see the world burning for that. Or others who really wanted the game to be done and don't really care that much about what extras they get. Or others who understand that different kinds of KS campaigns might exist, ones more generous than others. And that Oculus giving away free headsets for its backers doesn't mean all the other ones are obliged to reach that bar from that point on.

The world is a complex and varied place!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See this another thing people do in this thread. WTF does EGS have to do with any of this ? I never once mentioned EGS.
I am talking specifically about the preorder goods and what was promised on the backer tier.
Pretty much every backer that got the game on PC wanted it for steam and didn't get it for steam. And now after all that back and forth about the key issue they can't even include something for the people they screwed over and would cost them nothing.

It doesn't matter what you mentioned, the people complaining aren't looking at this in a vaccum, and they shouldn't. If you tell others they should learn how Kickstarter works, maybe you should learn how context works.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ysnet sold their backers to Deep Silver which sold those fans to the EGS where they got thrown under the bus / thrown into the EGS cage.
It's amazing how fast Shenmue dropped from one of the most beloved (niche) franchises to this utter mess and it seems like the downfall ain't slowing down soon.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
But Epic is constantly waiting in the wings to attempt to antagonise the relationship between player and developer, and there's no way to know which games this will happen to.
Oh I'm not saying I'll kickstart as many things as I did up until now, both epic and Deep silver poisoned the well.
I'm just saying kickstating things isn't in itself a bad idea, because not everyone will hunt profit at every turn, some people/company have some level of decency and it's not absurd to expect as much.

Just a few month ago I had to contact the company behind U-boot ( boardgame ) because I made a mistake with the language I selected on the backerkit, and only saw that when I got the delivery notice. I asked if I could get a replacement, and directly said I was willing to eat any additional delivery cost, yet they did it for free.
Some company will go an extra step to help their backer, some other company ( or their publisher ) will kick you in the balls and tell you it's for your own good.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every backer that got the game on PC wanted it for steam and didn't get it for steam. And now after all that back and forth about the key issue they can't even include something for the people they screwed over and would cost them nothing.

It doesn't matter what you mentioned, the people complaining aren't looking at this in a vaccum, and they shouldn't. If you tell others they should learn how Kickstarter works, maybe you should learn how context works.

Ok I get that Steam/PC users are pissed. And I don't really have an issue with people complaining about it , you can read my posts on this thread and its mostly only been that I am not upset at this. But people do need to understand how kickstarter works. It is not the same as preordering. The product barely exists outside of being an idea. 90% of the time you are going to get a worse deal than the rest of the people.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

On one hand you have companies like Team Cherry and Yacht Club Games offering FREE content to their backers years after the original releases of their games. TC turned a DLC character incentive into a full-fledged game, and it will still be free for backers.

I mean, in the case of Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight, the updates have been stretch goals. It would be trash if it weren't free for backers.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I get that Steam/PC users are pissed. And I don't really have an issue with people complaining about it , you can read my posts on this thread and its mostly only been that I am not upset at this. But people do need to understand how kickstarter works. It is not the same as preordering. The product barely exists outside of being an idea. 90% of the time you are going to get a worse deal than the rest of the people.
Exactly. And the very fact these people are risking to put their trust and money into an idea, making the whole thing possible in the first place, is worth more than preorders.
You can bet that if this whole nonsense before didn't happen nobody would care, either. Nobody is claiming they are legally owed any of these contents. It would just be the right thing for them to do after what happened. But they don't, which leaves people disappointed and leads us back to when that first poster said companies aren't your friends. That's a simple fact, as evidenced by their non-action regarding this topic.

You're a rare sane voice in this thread. Solidarity. Though I got banned for 'antagonising' people who were complaining about Shenmue 3 last week so be careful.
This is getting hilarious. Maybe sometimes there's a little need for self reflection and telling others they are toxic just because they are complaining about something is indeed 'antagonising' people.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily, there are other kinds of backers in addition to those two.

For example, there are the ones that are moderately bummed about not getting the preorder bonus but don't need to see the world burning for that. Or others who really wanted the game to be done and don't really care that much about what extras they get. Or others who understand that different kinds of KS campaigns might exist, ones more generous than others. And that Oculus giving away free headsets for its backers doesn't mean all the other ones are obliged to reach that bar from that point on.

The world is a complex and varied place!
As I said smart backers no need to split hairs *eye roll*.
Going to look forward when all these smart backers rise up and bring 10 million to the shenmue 4 kickstarter. That'll show all the dumb backers to adjust their expectations properly.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017

My comment was in regards to how the same people who told us the Epic deal wasn't an issue are saying anything related to this game's mismanagement isn't an issue.

Even if this is a minor thing that doesn't matter -- and I'm inclined to agree -- I don't trust like that.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eh, not a good look, but if the season pass content wasn't part of the kickstarter and something later on when deep silver came on board or such, then whatever. Would be a nice gesture, but I probably wouldn't hold it up to them as much as say Bloodstained devs, who did have all of this extra content for that game as stretch goals.

Still, this kickstarter has certainly been tainted in multiple ways.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I still don't get how Yacht Club even stayed profitable. Plague of Shadows already took them a year or something, then they slapped another campaign on it for free that had completely different gameplay and levels, and now they are still working on another one. It's kind of crazy tbh.

Team Cherry is going there, but I think they will actually stop giving stuff away fro free once Silksong is out.