• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I didn't play Shenmue for the mini-games, but it does seem to have the same look and feel. I'm not sure if that's impressive or not, but I probably won't be playing most of these.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Took some screencaps from the gameplay B-roll for funsies. This game does colour so fucking well.

sequence08.00_06_28_244j1u.jpg

sequence08.00_13_20_069j0l.jpg

sequence08.00_19_59_0w5kqd.jpg

sequence08.00_20_04_104jir.jpg

sequence08.00_20_13_1rwkto.jpg
It looks so damn good. Take your time Suzuki.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Suzuki says he feels pretty confident about making the November deadline the team has set for themselves. Though development was tough, Shenmue 3 has come a long ways from where it was to start.​
"To be honest, at the very beginning of the project, we thought that we may not be able to do a full Shenmue," says Suzuki. "But now I can say I'm confident it's a full Shenmue. This is Shenmue."

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Those pics are great! I can't view everything at work, but I am loving the feel of Shenmue 3 through those pics.

Also, RE the combat from 1 and 2:

The combat in 1 and 2 wasn't a whole lot of fun for me, but was improved dramatically in S2. Personally, I found kicks to leave you too exposed. I preferred a combination of dodging, throws, and punches. The the throws could get really powerful, and the punches were fast. Once the dodging function was powered up in S2, you could do a lot of damage without being too exposed.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Suzuki says he feels pretty confident about making the November deadline the team has set for themselves. Though development was tough, Shenmue 3 has come a long ways from where it was to start.​
"To be honest, at the very beginning of the project, we thought that we may not be able to do a full Shenmue," says Suzuki. "But now I can say I'm confident it's a full Shenmue. This is Shenmue."

An interesting read. Thanks for sharing it!

XodiousBlack

Aug 16, 2018
Loving everything I've seen so far! Feels like Shenmue and like home. Thank goodness there's one thread left regarding this game that is not plagued with negativity

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go. Raw English translation for the Gamespot interview with Yu Suzuki from Phantom River Stone:

Transcript here:

A few here:

Q: What is your current vision for Shenmue III?

YS:
My vision for Shenmue has not changed at all from what it was 20 years ago. I have an ideal in mind, and aim towards that by considering what is feasible with the technologies of the time.

Q: What is your ideal Shenmue 3?

YS:
Ah, my ideal one? Hmm. My ideal game is one that you can play at a slow pace. One where you don't hurry, and you have a lot of freedom. If you want to take your time in a town, you can. Or if you want to move the story on, you can. I think being a game that allows a lot of freedom is the best part about Shenmue.

Also what's important in Shenmue is everyday life. Portraying people's daily life and ordinary activities in great detail leads to a sense of reality and I think that's what Shenmue does well.

Q: If you can say, is there anything you'd like to work on before the release?

YS:
I'd like to polish up the game as much as possible.

Nothing groundbreaking that we didn't know but it's nice to have the proper translation.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I have to say the whole EGS has pissed me off, and not for the obvious reasons. I mean everybody was over the moon when this Kickstarter came about, almost disbelief that we could actually be getting a 3rd game, now roll on to today where people are clamouring for refunds and acting disgusted that Steam is no longer the PC platform of choice, yes it should have been Steam as that was in the text when pledges were taken, but on the other hand the game is still fucking playable on EGS right? And obviously things changed when DS took the reigns, injected a load of money, now we are getting the 'full experience'......so they are clawing some cash back, can we blame them? We as Shenmue fans are the winners.

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
I have to say the whole EGS has pissed me off, and not for the obvious reasons. I mean everybody was over the moon when this Kickstarter came about, almost disbelief that we could actually be getting a 3rd game, now roll on to today where people are clamouring for refunds and acting disgusted that Steam is no longer the PC platform of choice, yes it should have been Steam as that was in the text when pledges were taken, but on the other hand the game is still fucking playable on EGS right? And obviously things changed when DS took the reigns, injected a load of money, now we are getting the 'full experience'......so they are clawing some cash back, can we blame them? We as Shenmue fans are the winners.

I am shaking my head about this. The Shenmue fans are certainly not winners in this scenario.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I am shaking my head about this. The Shenmue fans are certainly not winners in this scenario.
If the rumors about Epic refunding hundred of thousands of 60$ priced copies are true, then yes, Shenmue fans are definitely the winners here since that will definitely make the fourth game a concrete reality.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors about Epic refunding hundred of thousands of 60$ priced copies are true, then yes, Shenmue fans are definitely the winners here since that will definitely make the fourth game a concrete reality.
On top of that the game still releases on PS4 worldwide and China on PC/PS4. The Collectors edition is almost sold out in Europe. Fans are going to buy the game no matter what some critics or anybody says.
With that being said I hope Deep Silver/Ys Net can come up with a solution on the steam issue.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I will remain cautiously optimistic, there are some REALLY questionable character design choices, some of the npcs don't look like they come from the same game and it is pretty jarring, they seem to have nailed the general atmosphere pretty well.

The combat looks way off, weirdly stiff and jerky, i booted up shenmue 2 to compare now and in many ways it looks worse than the combat in the earlier games, i really hope they have time too salvage the combat.

Overall i am still really looking forward to playing this, if nothing else just to get closure for the longest cliff hanger in videogame history.

This looks absolutely terrible, and that's fine, because that's exactly how I want my Shenmue.

This doesn't make any sense at all, the shenmue games looked amazing at launch, they where true state of the art technical achievements.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Listening to Huber talk about the game from the Easy Allies E3 coverage and how much he loved it, is all the confirmation I need to know this game will be awesome, at least to us die hard Shenmue fans.

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
Is Shenmue III 60GB now? According to the official FAQ's PC specifications, it is. However, the EGS page still lists at 100GB.

Also note, the EGS page has a "mature content" warning for Shenmue III, suitable for ages "18+." This is not the same as the AU's rating of "Mature" which only suggests those of the ages of 15 and above view the content and legally permits those who are younger to have access.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The english dub voice actor's voice acting doesn't sound the same as in the originals. The way he speaks is a bit different. There's just something off about it

Always played the originals in english but this one's defenitly going to be played in japanese by me. The english dub really was a waste of time and money when I consider this.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The english dub voice actor's voice acting doesn't sound the same as in the originals. The way he speaks is a bit different. There's just something off about it

Always played the originals in english but this one's defenitly going to be played in japanese by me. The english dub really was a waste of time and money when I consider this.

The english dub always sucked. Nostalgia made it sounds decent back then. And yes, I agree. It feels bad to say that because I know they hired some legitimate people to do the dub but overall ... It's a waste of money that could've gone to the game.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Corey sounds weird, like he just had some dental work, and his mouth has been anesthetized

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
Can't wait to get a new highly detailed world to explore again. Really enjoyed the first two games. Glad minigames are still in.
But I have to say, those animations during the fight are pretty bad, a noticeable step down from what I remember of the first two games. Transitions between moves are basically nonexsistent.
And the super ultra hardcore Shenmue fans really need to step back and not be so ultra defensive about everything with this game.
It's obvious yu suzuki and his team are quite inexperienced when it comes to modern game production and that's perfectly fine. They're doing their best. But at a certain point, "it's an early build!" is just not going to fly anymore. I don't think I've never seen the amount of defense for a game by it's superfans like this before. It's getting tiresome.
It's a fact that the game is rough in spots. Don't take it so personal.
Just be glad we're actually getting a new Shenmue! :)

I would love to see what other devs can do with their franchises with the budget Shenmue got - built from the ground up.

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
And the super ultra hardcore Shenmue fans really need to step back and not be so ultra defensive about everything with this game.
It's obvious yu suzuki and his team are quite inexperienced when it comes to modern game production and that's perfectly fine. They're doing their best. ...

Don't take it so personal.
Just be glad we're actually getting a new Shenmue! :)

yesyesyes

Oct 30, 2017
My least favorite thing about the demo footage is the old dude in the wood chopping video screaming something every time Ryo chops wood. It gets really annoying about halfway through, especially once the lines start repeating. Anyone else with me!? I guess we needed more Delin-esque goodness.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
My least favorite thing about the demo footage is the old dude in the wood chopping video screaming something every time Ryo chops wood. It gets really annoying about halfway through, especially once the lines start repeating. Anyone else with me!? I guess we needed more Delin-esque goodness.
I mean if you're a fan of shenmue 1&2 it's not that strange and should be kind of the humor (crate carrying job in shenmue 2). I guess maybe they're staying too true to the originals XD

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I know they were going to keep Ryo's dogshit actor, but I thought Suzuki would hire actual actors for everyone else, but it sounds like they picked people off the street again.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
TBH if the EGS deal guarantees a Shenmue 4 and 5, I'm okay with it.

Yeah same, at least a Shenmue 4.

Also does a physical steam disc actually have the full game contents on it or is it basically just an activation for the digital version? Seems pointless to if it's the latter.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

That bothered me as well. Reminded me of book carrying duty in Shenmue 2, where every time you reached a table one of those temple workers would make a comment. I know this is the definition of nitpicking, but we really don't need a generic soundbite for successfully completing EVERY step of an errand.

CODEMASTERS' F1 director seemed to enjoy the demo:

This is nice.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I think I'm the only one who likes the English voice acting. I know it's terrible but I'm glad they took the time to bring Corey back and at least get the original Ryo voice. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if that didn't happen. It's 100% nostalgia and I know it's terrible by today's standards but it's charming and actually suits the Ryo character I think. I'm really pleased there's dual audio though.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lol I think I'm the only one who likes the English voice acting. I know it's terrible but I'm glad they took the time to bring Corey back and at least get the original Ryo voice. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if that didn't happen. It's 100% nostalgia and I know it's terrible by today's standards but it's charming and actually suits the Ryo character I think. I'm really pleased there's dual audio though.

*Username checks out*

(I agree)

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
You know, I think today is the only time since E3 I've really sat and enjoyed the content we've been shown.

I'm really excited by the look of the game. I hope it's not too short - that's my only worry. Like Shenmue 1, I'm hoping there are a lot of different things happening in the small locations and a sense of discovery - like finding Master Chen at the docks, then a whole segment later finally out about, and locating the Mad Angels. Or going back to the home and finding out there is a basement even though you were there everyday.

I am hoping that we get to uncover some shady behind the scenes mafia stuff, but like really uncover it. Fingers cross eh?

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
I always love the English dub. Reminded me of watching martial art movies with my uncle so yea ill be playing that way again lol

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Nothing wrong with Corey's work in the originals. His sort of cold and flat way of speaking is appropriate to the story, but he just sounds weird now in shenmue 3. I mean 20 years have passed so everything can change in so many years. As an english dub lover I am going to play the japanese VA now which says it all.

Oct 30, 2017
They actually did hire "legitimate" actors, though. They even hired an American director with a lengthy resume this time. No idea what the story with the dub is. Perhaps an intentional recreation of the originals?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Is Shenmue III 60GB now? According to the official FAQ's PC specifications, it is. However, the EGS page still lists at 100GB.

Also note, the EGS page has a "mature content" warning for Shenmue III, suitable for ages "18+." This is not the same as the AU's rating of "Mature" which only suggests those of the ages of 15 and above view the content and legally permits those who are younger to have access.
ryo fucks in this game

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Corey sounds radically different, at least from the little we've heard. Part of it might also have to do with it being higher quality audio than we're used to.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think Corey sounds radically different, at least from the little we've heard. Part of it might also have to do with it being higher quality audio than we're used to.

There were a couple of lines where he sounded like he had something in his mouth. I guess it doesn't really matter, it would have fit with the quality of voice over in the other two games.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool to see the Shenmue Collector Edition selling out in the EU on a lot of online retailers. It only went up on Amazon UK the other day and it reached number 3 on the best seller list at one point. Still bounces around the top 10. It's sold out in a lot of stores that put it up last week.

g7nv5Rt.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty cool to see the Shenmue Collector Edition selling out in the EU on a lot of online retailers. It only went up on Amazon UK the other day and it reached number 3 on the best seller list at one point. Still bounces around the top 10. It's sold out in a lot of stores that put it up last week.

g7nv5Rt.jpg

This is a really encouraging sign. I mean, people led me to believe there'd be very few sales outside the 'sales' from Kickstarter. Who knows what hanging out in the Amazon top 10 for the week actually translates to in sales, but it sure shows there's interest.