• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Huber not feeling the combat has me a little concerned, tbh. I trust his judgment on that
In fairness it's the part of the demo he got the least amount of time with, in a fight Yu Suzuki said most players would lose first time around.

There's also a progression angle with Ryo's stats and individual moves we're not fully aware of the impact on. Yu said fully mastered moves would have a lot more oomph to them, to the point they could knock opponents out of arena boundaries sometimes. Ryo's move set is Level 1 across the board in the demo, it looks like.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea Shenmue 1 is very much that type of game. But the way you are describing your issues I think Shenmue 2 will be much better suited to your tastes. I am also a huge yakuza fan and just got into Shenmue series last year with remasters, and I was struggling to finish Shenmue 1 for a long time. But the moment I started 2 I was hooked from beginning to end. There is a much larger scale to it and you can explore the whole city at your own pace. And it has much more combat sections as well. By the time I finished 2 I was glad I played 1 as well and experienced the whole adventure. It took me 2-3 months to finish 1 but as I said, I was hooked on Shenmue 2 so much that I finished it in 4-5 days.
So I would say give Shenmue 2 a try if you weren't into 1 that much. They are quite different in terms of exploration and scale.
That's encouraging to hear but I'm not gonna lie I probably won't be going back to Shenmue since I don't think this series is for me.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 30 minutes until Shenmue 3 is on the Gamespot E3 stage:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Some alternate b-roll being shown here.

- Ine San, Chai and Nozomi capsule toys

- Footage of larger Lucky Hit stands.

Last edited:

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Getting on my high horse here but this interpreter is putting a lot of words in Yu's mouth here.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how he's getting capsule toys of Shenmue characters. Makes no sense — though they obviously don't have access to Sega's IPs anymore.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
This guy looks 1980s as fuck and I'm ALL about it.

gSDlbAY.jpg

Video of the extra bits of B-roll coming from the Shenmue Dojo soon.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Nothing really gleamed from that 'Interview'. Still hope they can polish this as much as possible before release.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not the greatest preview new-footage-wise, but it was nice to have Yu field some questions. Really excited to play the game in November.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Supercut from James Reiner of the B-roll footage with some added music and traditional loading screens.

It's pretty spooky how music really kicks it a notch further into "Shenmue"ness, I wouldn't have expected it to have that much of an impact but goddamn.

Superb job from James there, loved the music chosen for turtle racing. That whole cut really sells the idea that this is a true to form Shenmue game that is also going to feel great to play by modern standards as well as satisfy those cravings for the next chapter in the story.

Apparently the B-roll footage in the OP is from an old build, according to Michael Huber and Ian Hinck over at Easy Allies.

Game supposedly looks better in the demo they played + there are some UI changes too.

Having thought about it, the footage released sounds a lot like what some of the earlier previews were based on, so not totally inconceivable.
Not sure if they're playing it smart at this point. It's risky to show footage at E3 of all places that doesn't represent the game with its best foot forward. We still have 5 months left of the marketing cycle to turn the perception around though.

I can imagine it scales up at some point, but I love how Huber describes Bailu Village as cosy like Yokosuka.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I pledged a stupid amount of money into this expecting a really watered down (though still enjoyable) Shenmue experience and I'm kind of amazed at how they seem to have nailed everything that made Shenmue special. Obviously we won't know for sure until November, but my expectations going in are a lot higher now.

The EGS stuff is still a pretty big bummer and I think it will cause a lot of damage if they need crowdfunding for their next game, but at least it seems like they've done a great job with the game itself.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
The way everyone looks veeery distinct has me amazed. They put a lot of work into the npc's and did their research.

Also after looking at the combat, I'd like to see a another yu suzuki Virtua Fighter one day. Makes me sad.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Huber's description is really good. Kind of just marks the fighting as the rough point, which it looks like in the videos. Not sure you totally feel the block/guards and things. A lot of things sound great though. Excited how spot on the voice acting, mini games, returning characters and things all feel. Regarding the walmart shenmue promo video tweet from the past couple weeks (which features some character/plot details)

Ren and Chai look spot on in their character models. So it really feels like Shenhua looking like she does is a stylistic choice, and Ryo as well possibly. Although Ryo is a lot closer to how he looked than Shenhua

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop laughing at the turtle racing. It's so stupid. It's so boring. It's so mundane. It's so charming.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Took some screencaps from the gameplay B-roll for funsies. This game does colour so fucking well.

sequence08.00_06_28_244j1u.jpg

sequence08.00_13_20_069j0l.jpg

sequence08.00_19_59_0w5kqd.jpg

sequence08.00_20_04_104jir.jpg

sequence08.00_20_13_1rwkto.jpg

Ren and Chai look spot on in their character models. So it really feels like Shenhua looking like she does is a stylistic choice, and Ryo as well possibly. Although Ryo is a lot closer to how he looked than Shenhua
R.E Shenhua, this was explained a bit in an interview Yu did in March I think. The explanation is along the lines of: they were having a tough time giving her a tomboy vibe visually, so they decided to swing it a bit the other direction into what we have now instead; which is a bit more of a feminine looking Shenhua.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is probably the first time footage has gotten me a bit hyped.
It still looks so incredibly cheesy, but I hope the pacing is more like Shenmue 2 over 1.

The actual short clips of fighting we have seen seems pretty damn rough so far though, which is pretty disappointing.
I loved training and fighting in the octagon, etc. in the old games but was hoping that would be the one thing they actually evolved.
I wasn't expecting VF5 Final Showdown intricacy or anything, but so far it looks fairly underwhelming. Hopefully it's just because I haven't seen enough...

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
R.E Shenhua, this was explained a bit in an interview Yu did in March I think. The explanation is along the lines of: they were having a tough time giving her a tomboy vibe visually, so they decided to swing it a bit the other direction into what we have now instead; which is a bit more of a feminine looking Shenhua.

Yeah, I'm still not a fan. I like visual continuity there. It feels like Dark Knight when Rachael got recast somewhat.

Sick pics from the b-roll there btw

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The actual short clips of fighting we have seen seems pretty damn rough so far though, which is pretty disappointing.
I loved training and fighting in the octagon, etc. in the old games but was hoping that would be the one thing they actually evolved.

I wasn't expecting VF5 Final Showdown intricacy or anything, but so far it looks fairly underwhelming. Hopefully it's just because I haven't seen enough...
I mean... it's been rebuilt from the ground up, has a bunch of new RPG mechanics bolted onto it, totally new control methods, and has been remade with 3D fighting spaces in mind rather than cramming the VF engine into a 3D space. Opinions on it aside, it's basically new rather than evolved or not evolved from the originals.

We haven't really seen the full extent of what goes on in combat, though. Moves will have greater impact at higher levels, we've not seen any multi-man fights, or potentially the environmental physics interactions if that stuff made it past the early prototyping. The B-roll available is maybe just a fraction of what the fighting could be about ultimately, or at least only representative of what it's like starting from Level 1.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The fighting is going to be better than the original I can already say

Anyone who played the originals know that the camera during battles was a pain in the fucking ass. It is awful.

Not only that but the moves are unbalanced af. Most are useless and your best bet is the one elbow move which destroys every foe.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The fighting is going to be better than the original I can already say

Anyone who played the originals know that the camera during battles was a pain in the fucking ass. It is awful.

Not only that but the moves are unbalanced af. Most are useless and your best bet is the one elbow move which destroys every foe.
Love the combat in the originals, but fuck yes I agree on both points.

Seeing the Tornado Kick being actually useful in Shenmue III filled my heart with many merry memories of Tom and his hotdog truck. The windup on it in the originals just makes it impractical, you either whiff hitting the enemy because they move out the way, or you're just straight punched out of the animation half the time. In the first game you'd just be better off using other kicks, or better yet Brutal Tiger for that 360 degree arc of attack. In the second, I'd swap it out for Double Storm Kick the first chance I got.

Stripping the VF out of Shenmue's combat was a necessity of practicality, but what they've rebuilt in its place does address common complaints of the old combat at least. It's not got the depth of a fighting game-based engine, at least not at Level 1 during the early game, but it's definitely looking above serviceable and they didn't retreat into something safe like just making a diet version of Arkham combat either.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Huber says: "A woman cooking in her house and there's food everywhere. There's such an attention to detail like the older games. I just wanted to look at everything and pick everything up.

There were kids practicing martial arts and running around and playing tag. Just...vibes. The vibes are there. The vibes are right."

That's all I needed to hear to know that this game is in the right hands and gonna deliver. Can. Not. Wait!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
This is the perspective many long term fans have been wanting to see Shenmue 3 from for a very long time! Really enjoying the colours, setting and how it's coming together, especially when you consider where we came from.
Oh legit. It's come a long, long way from the days of the prototype.

The environment design, I think, is giving games with way larger budgets a run for their money in terms of raw aesthetics.

That's all I needed to hear to know that this game is in the right hands and gonna deliver. Can. Not. Wait!
It's definitely the real deal, and shows the benefit of having Yu Suzuki direct the game. He knew what to pick and choose under a restrictive budget to keep Shenmue's flavour.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
After seeing all this I feel completely relaxed about it now, it looks fantastic with dialogue and visuals sounding and looking on point, and VERY Shenmue.

Can't wait.