• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Supercut from James Reiner of the B-roll footage with some added music and traditional loading screens.

It's pretty spooky how music really kicks it a notch further into "Shenmue"ness, I wouldn't have expected it to have that much of an impact but goddamn.

This is easily the best representation of the new gameplay. Better arranged and put into one video to watch all at once.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
Juicy 🤤

Game is looking tight. Can't wait to play.
The music is soo good. Fighting looks good as well, was a little concerned early on.

I'm just worried that the voice actors will be too old to reprise their roles when Shenmue 4 starts development haha

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I can tell you right now that 3 won't be the end of the saga, we know that already. Shenmue's story was designed to be told over multiple games. I think the original plan was for it to encompass about 10 games, maybe more. Obviously that number will be drastically shortened now, but it's still going to be more than three installments.

Originally Shenmue was planned for the Sega Saturn as Virtua Fighter RPG. Ryo was suppose to be Akira from Virtua Fighter.

VIRTUA_FIGHTER_RPG_CHAPTERS.jpg

Because of the smaller CD ROM storage size, it was initially planed to have 10 parts. But when it was moved to the Sega Dreamcast, the game was cut down to 5 chapters. The Dreamcast GDROM's hold 1GB of data instead of 512MB's per CD. I think Yu Suzuki said that 5 games would be ideal, but he can also work with 4. Shenmue III was never meant to be the ending. Not even during the Sony 2015 pitch video.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Originally Shenmue was planned for the Sega Saturn as Virtua Fighter RPG. Ryo was suppose to be Akira from Virtua Fighter.

Because of the smaller CD ROM storage size, it was initially planed to have 10 parts. But when it was moved to the Sega Dreamcast, the game was cut down to 5 chapters. The Dreamcast GDROM's hold 1GB of data instead of 512MB's per CD. I think Yu Suzuki said that 5 games would be ideal, but he can also work with 4. Shenmue III was never meant to be the ending. Not even during the Sony 2015 pitch video.

He looks like Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho in a couple of these.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
As a Yakuza fan who has heard time and time again about how great Shenmue is/was and how Yakuza is a poor man's Shenmue, I don't think I'll even be able to play this game even if you gave it to me for free. I saw all the footage in the OP btw, not just the mini-game one.

I'm glad that fans are getting this after they had to wait for so long (still remember when we used to cry for Y5, so I get this) but man, in the hindsight those discussions about Yakuza and Shenmue feel really weird and extremely biased/rose tainted.

Anyway, I was keeping an eye on this because of the constant Yakuza comparisons but after seeing those videos I think I'm good. Hopefully this is everything that the fans wanted it to be tho.

I really enjoy both series, but Yakuza is verrrry far from a 'poor man's Shenmue'. I think the comparisons really put people off.
Think Yakuza meets Life is Strange is the best way I have been able to put it. Lots of focus on slow deliberate character moments, exploration of a smaller area and interacting with that area to search for clues.

Just throw in the fight scenes from Yakuza and set it in the Far East and you get the vibe.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt Yu Suzuki hired different people that do indie shenmue work and are hardcore fans across all these developement years?

This looks like to be the ultimate "by the fans, for the fans" game.

I hope at least in it's niche, the game has success.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
There is genuinely more that unites us than divides us, even if the games truly do move in different circles.

Honestly I blame some elements of the games press who've come fairly late to Yakuza for creating this rivalry with weak attempts at comparisons based on hugely superficial elements, and trying to build a false narrative that there's only room for one or the other.

Many longtime fans of either series love or mostly like both, and as you said have a mutual sense of loss over getting shafted by SEGA in the past. At some point the dark times for Shenmue fans and dark times for Yakuza fans crossed over, and I seem to remember a lot of "hands across the water" when it came to organising and petitioning for both series to get the attention they deserve.

100 percent agree.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Didnt Yu Suzuki hired different people that do indie shenmue work and are hardcore fans across all these developement years?
There are some fans on the team, notably KidNocon - a Korean Shenmue fan who did some location recreations in UE3 and UE4. He's on the environment team. There might be a few more, but he's the most recognisable example.

Otherwise the team is made out of AM2 alumni, various freelancers, permanent staff at YsNet, people at partner studios like Neilo, outsourcing companies, etc. The main team at YsNet is about 45 people.

Oct 30, 2017
I like both series, but Shenmue came out at the later stages of my wide-eyed gaming adolescence so it's managed to grow in my heart over the years. Shenmue 2 also brought me to tears; mostly because I knew Shenmue 3 would never exist. Age and a decline in interest in gaming has probably made me a little more critical of Shenmue 3 than i should be, but I still think this is starting to capture the essence of Shenmue. The game can't be judged until we get into the story, in my opinion. I've always loved the story, even if it's told a little stiffly.

Now, if you're a Yakuza fan, imagine if Yakuza 1 had been the only entry in the series for 15+ years because it flopped horribly in the states and featured a horrible English dub, except this dub cost millions because they hired Hollywood talent for some misguided reason. Nagoshi pops up and says he'll make you a new Yakuza but you need to help him because Sega won't back him. He starts releasing footage and it looks a whole lot like Yakuza 1 but with a slightly new coat of paint. He had a choice: make a sequel that's totally modern but lacking in the spirit of Yakuza 1, or make a Yakuza game. Honestly, that's all Yakuza was for several years, except Nagoshi got his chance to keep refining the formula and making the best Yakuza experience possible. He didn't have to wait 15 years to meet his fans' expectations.

Shenmue 3 is a game for Shenmue fans. Obviously the series will live and die on sales, so I hope there's enough here to capture a new audience, but I give Suzuki credit for making the most Shenmue Shenmue 3 possible. That's what the fans have wanted for nearly two decades. Is a game about a kind young boy traveling to the Chinese countryside as exciting about a game where you're in the Japanese criminal underground? Well... that's up to you. What Shenmue lacks in excitement it makes up for in soul and spirit. This is a series that reflects the blood, sweat and tears of a tireless developer.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
i love the fact it looks like nothing else improved within the gaming industry besides rendering techniques and shaders. like it's design philosophies where found in a time capsule and rendered on the latest hardware. i was honestly worried they would modernise the game and effectively turn it into "yakuza : shenmue edition", but i'm so glad they haven't.

An interesting take. Especially from the poster I remember saying the following about Crackdown 3.…..

I was really looking forward to a crackdown sequel. Even bought an xbone to play it back in 2016 when it was supposed to release.... I though they were going to take the franchise forward in leaps and bounds (pun intended) but what we got is a relic. Playing it reminds me of playing Duke Nukem Forever. Another game that seemed to be developed in an isolated vacuum where time stood still. It almost feels surreal that something like it can exist in 2019.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting take. Especially from the poster I remember saying the following about Crackdown 3.…..

Lmao come on. This is completely disingenuous. Isn't Sumo a 500+ person studio with millions behind it? Crackdown 3 was even published by Microsoft.

How is it even remotely close to compare expectations for a Crackdown game and Shenmue 3 which has essentially been made by an indie studio and funded mostly by Kickstarter? Like what?

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao come on. This is completely disingenuous. Isn't Sumo a 500+ person studio with millions behind it? Crackdown 3 was even published by Microsoft.

How is it even remotely close to compare expectations for a Crackdown game and Shenmue 3 which has essentially been made by an indie studio and funded mostly by Kickstarter? Like what?
Also, based on the IGN Japan article, Shenmue 3 has tons of improvements and additions compared to Shenmue 1 + 2. Everyone's stuck on the way Shenmue 3 looks, but it sounds like they really redesigned nearly every aspect of the game. Crackdown 3 seemed like a step backwards in nearly every way from what I could tell (without ever playing it).

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I really enjoy both series, but Yakuza is verrrry far from a 'poor man's Shenmue'. I think the comparisons really put people off.
Think Yakuza meets Life is Strange is the best way I have been able to put it. Lots of focus on slow deliberate character moments, exploration of a smaller area and interacting with that area to search for clues.

Just throw in the fight scenes from Yakuza and set it in the Far East and you get the vibe.

Yakuza and Shenmue fall into completely different genres, when you break both games down to their core elements.

Yaskuza is a beat 'em up RPG, it really is like a PS2 era update on older 8bit games like River City Random. It's all about fighting groups of enemies and bosses. You collect money from them like RCR, and use it to buy things. Yakuza is more streamlined and linear than Shenmue, even though the game has open-ended playing fields.

Shenmue 1 is a virtual simulator adventure game. You are basically in a virtual snow globe with a large assortment of unique NPC's. Those NPC's operate on a 133 day timescale that starts on November 29th 1986 and ends on April 15th 1987. The NPC's have simplified lives of their own. The way you interact with the NPC's will have some affect on ending of the game.

The original Shenmue games were designed to read off each others save states. Depending on what day (in the game world) you completed Shenmue 1 on, it would carry over to Shenmue 2's start date. This will then affect what events could happen on the first day of Ryo's arrival in China. Different NPC's will be located in different spots on different days. Also, the seasonal changes affect the gameplay areas as well. Which will give each person playing a slightly different experience based on what they did in the first game. Otherwise Shenmue II defaults to February 23, 1987 as the start date. But you can start Shenmue II at an earlier or later date in 1987 with your Shenmue 1 save data.

I'm not even sure if this was carried over to the HD Shenmue collection? I hadn't bought it yet. I own the original on Dreamcast and obtained the sequel through other means ( I also purchased a copy on the 360). But the save feature carry-over works for Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast.

Outside of that, Shenmue has a fighting game element to it as well, where you can learn new fighting moves from different people in the Yokosuka area. Which will affect the way fights play out. Shenmue also encourages the players to explore every area, which adds a puzzle solving element to the game.

The only other games that come somewhat close to this are Quantic Dream titles, and most of those are set on smaller scales. Some people also say "Life is Strange" as well. But I have never played that series.

Last edited:

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Also, based on the IGN Japan article, Shenmue 3 has tons of improvements and additions compared to Shenmue 1 + 2. Everyone's stuck on the way Shenmue 3 looks, but it sounds like they really redesigned nearly every aspect of the game. Crackdown 3 seemed like a step backwards in nearly every way from what I could tell (without ever playing it).

Probably best not to comment on it then, eh?

Anyway, it's been quite interesting to see the reactions on here to Shenmue 3 over the years, the amount of pointless negativity is tiresome. People just seize upon any part of the game, like the vid in the OP, without knowing anything else about the series, the circumstances behind its development, how those of us who are excited for it, are just grateful that it exists, just to make a lame shit-post. Thankfully we have the ignore button!

Oct 30, 2017
Probably best not to comment on Shenmue 3, then, cuz that's all we're doing here. Commenting on a game no one here's played. I've read and watched plenty of Crackdown 3 footage, but I honestly have no interest in building it up or destroying it; just commenting. I didn't bring the game into the discussion.

Oct 30, 2017
Some interesting tidbits I've borrowed from the Dojo:

Recap of Huber's thoughts:

1. Newer build than IGN Japan Gameplay

2. Different GUI. Invetory UI given as an example.

3. Played on PC with Xbox One controller/Xbox button prompts. (iGN Japan Gameplay is PS4 build with PlayStation button prompts)

4. Feels like Shenmue.

5. Swears/promises that while the trailers look janky, the build he played looked and played great. Ian Hink backs him up. "As a huge doubter in Shenmue 3, its looks charming but good"

6. Was supposed to be B-Roll footage supplied for press hands on impressions. It didnt work. Footage different from IGN Japan, apparently. IGN Japan Captured it themselves of a different build.

7. Enviroments looked "very good'

8. Contruction Capsule Toys

9. Exploration gameplay feels good, smoother than Shenmue 1 and 2.

10. 15 minute demo, the goal is to find a bookie with a scar on their face.

11. Can walk into and explore peoples homes and pick up items and examine them. Example given is he saw a women cooking in her home and there is food everywhere. Game is extremely detailed.

12. Lucky Hit!

13. Turtle racing is hard! Gameplay feels similar to mario party mini games. You have to button mash like crazy.

14. The bookie with a scar on his face has a good side, and helped the guy who runs the turtle racing mini game build the diorama.

15. Fighting feels rough. Much more simplified than Shenmue 1 & 2.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Looks like shenmue! Can't wait!

Scared about the combat though. I always feared that now they lost Sega he wouldn't have access to his VF engine and so this game wouldn't be VF. Seems I was right. That's going to be a big hit.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like shenmue! Can't wait!

Scared about the combat though. I always feared that now they lost Sega he wouldn't have access to his VF engine and so this game wouldn't be VF. Seems I was right. That's going to be a big hit.

The good thing about the delay is that they have 5 months to hopefully polish it. My biggest beef from the footage is the reaction to the hits and transitions between some attacks look a bit stiff. The actual attack move animations look good and I recognize many of them from the previous games.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Supercut from James Reiner of the B-roll footage with some added music and traditional loading screens.

It's pretty spooky how music really kicks it a notch further into "Shenmue"ness, I wouldn't have expected it to have that much of an impact but goddamn.

You're right about the music. Thanks for linking the video. I know it's not what many expect and I'm totally fine with that, but I'm excited. So far it's met my expectations for a shenmue sequel.

Can't believe I've never heard that before (the original concept) Really cool.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Can't believe I've never heard that before (the original concept) Really cool.

Earlier builds of Shenmue on the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast show a version of Ryo's model that looks more like Akira.

He has a white shirt and wrist bands seen worn by Akira in the Virtua Fighter series. They game Ryo a leather jacket just to make hic character look different. The Shenmue Saturn footage is still really impressive too.

Here's a render of Akira from the Virtua Fighter 2 "portrait series" that was released for the Sega Saturn in Japan:

9KGoYEQ.jpg

Last edited:

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the the thread should be updated to link to the impressions and stuff in the OP. The impressions sound great and the b-roll IGN Japan uploaded is outdated. The impressions are more exciting than the mini-game footage.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. There's enough room in town for the both of them.
Definitely. I honestly hope the game does well enough so you guys can get Shenmue 4 without having to ask for it for years. I've been through that process with a few games (11 years between DMC4 to DMC5 being the most brutal one) so I hope no other fanbase has to go through that again.

Yea, that's how it felt to me for the very short time that I had with it. What didn't click for me was how limited you are with the time and how everything works on a schedule. Coming from Yakuza, I love to just go around messing with everything at my own pace so that was something that bothered me here with Shenmue. And also the fact that it was way less action and much more adventure focused.

I can totally see how those can be huge positives for others tho. So like I said earlier, it's more of a taste thing rather one being better than the other. I honestly think the Yakuza and Shenmue comparisons don't do either series any justice. Just like how I was disappointed by coming to Shenmue expecting another Yakuza game, I can definitely see a Shenmue fan being disappointed by playing a Yakuza game after hearing the comparisons and thinking this will be similar experience to what they love from Shenmue.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm real late to the party, but what is this "EGS mess" some of you are talking about? I'm still working my way through the last couple pages, but I don't see an explanation.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier builds of Shenmue on the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast show a version of Ryo's model that looks more like Akira.

He has a white shirt and wrist bands seen worn by Akira in the Virtua Fighter series. They game Ryo a leather jacket just to make hic character look different. The Shenmue Saturn footage is still really impressive too.

Here's a render of Akira from the Virtua Fighter 2 "portrait series" that was released for the Sega Saturn in Japan:

9KGoYEQ.jpg

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Yea, that's how it felt to me for the very short time that I had with it. What didn't click for me was how limited you are with the time and how everything works on a schedule. Coming from Yakuza, I love to just go around messing with everything at my own pace so that was something that bothered me here with Shenmue. And also the fact that it was way less action and much more adventure focused.
Yea Shenmue 1 is very much that type of game. But the way you are describing your issues I think Shenmue 2 will be much better suited to your tastes. I am also a huge yakuza fan and just got into Shenmue series last year with remasters, and I was struggling to finish Shenmue 1 for a long time. But the moment I started 2 I was hooked from beginning to end. There is a much larger scale to it and you can explore the whole city at your own pace. And it has much more combat sections as well. By the time I finished 2 I was glad I played 1 as well and experienced the whole adventure. It took me 2-3 months to finish 1 but as I said, I was hooked on Shenmue 2 so much that I finished it in 4-5 days.
So I would say give Shenmue 2 a try if you weren't into 1 that much. They are quite different in terms of exploration and scale.