• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Haha, I think this is amazing. It's so authentic to the originals -- even more than I expected it to be. I can't wait now.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
The lack of music certainly doesn't help make it feel exciting.

I mean I tried them out, but I wasn't obsessed. Lucky Hit I probably played the most cuz it was a 'job.' I doubt they'll be much more necessary in this game, though it sounds like buying merchandise and clothing will matter this time around.
Similar to me... On the first game I tried a few minigames and bought a few things, but I never tried to achieve everything. It is cool to have it there, despite being something that is not really necessary for the game to progress. It's part of the experience.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
If you skip to the 12 minute mark you can see the toy capsule machines. It has a similar reveal sound effect as the originals!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
More footage is coming according to Peter at the Shenmue Dojo, this is literally just some mini-games and a bit of capsule toy collecting.

Also apparently the demo build does have music. Might have been switched off for recording purposes here? Idk.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, fucking turtle races!

Looks like it has the Shenmue charm of turning the most mundane thing into something exciting. I was worried he wouldn't sound like Ryo, since the voice actor has aged, so that's cool as well.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
XS5LK.gif

I too am old :(

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Seems like something that was done like 20 years ago right after the other ones but they now got it out of storage and slapped some slightly more modern textures on top. I was obsessed waiting for Shenmue 3 as a kid, I consider them some of the best games I've ever played (I haven't replayed them since then because I don't want to ruin the amazing memories), but I'm not feeling this outdated approach in 2019. :(

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
It's 13 straight minutes of diversions you're supposed to spend like 2 minutes with in between taking to people about your father's murderer. With no music. Of course it's boring.

On the other hand, this is staggeringly similar to what Shenmue 1 and 2 felt like which bodes well for people who are actually looking forward to it.

Day 1 for boring ass lucky hit save scumming.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good? I mean, it looks like Shenmue minigames you play to kill time between story. That's pretty much what it is, and you only play if you have time to kill or need money. Will be better with the music turned on.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is the Roll it on Top guy voiced by Cam Clarke? That's who I assumed Fuku-san was voiced by back when I played the original game before I learned that it was Eric Kelso.

If Fuku-san is in this game, Cam Clarke could do the character justice.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That slow paced, laid back flavor I love. Even if it's just minigame gameplay, it's still nice to see. The turtles are super cute too, so I bet I'll spend a decent amount of time there.

edit: Wait, are people seriously taking minigame footage as a way to drive-by shitpost on the whole game? Get a grip, y'all.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't outdated. I really hate that idea. You want video games to be respected as art, let some of them be idiosyncratic. This is a Yu Suzuki game through and through. Which means it going to appeal to some but not others. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be more modern. Whatever the hell that means.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks great.

Finally seeing him walking around and it looks better and so good. Can't wait for the more footage!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
"Slow" "outdated"

I mean it's literally 13 minutes of someone trying a handful of mini-games out at their leisure, this isn't THE WHOLE GAME. I can't believe this has to be said out loud.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Footage of minigames...

Yep. That looks like Shenmue alright...

It wouldn't be Shenmue if it didn't have a turtle race. Honestly , just looking at the assortment of mini games/ collectable crap. It really does look like Shenmue in every way that matters. yeah, the graphics are not going to win any awards. But they look fine to me. I'm actually quite surprised at how much Shenmue III does look like a current-generation Shenmue game. It looks like YuNet has all of the Shenmue II systems in place. But there seem to be other enhancements as well.

Also, the voice acting is better than the english dub of Shenmue 2 or 1 for that matter. It still comes off as a "dub", but this time, things don;t sound nearly as bad.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Shenmue is a slow paced game, like really slow.

It looks about how I expected, the only thing really that threw me off was no music which apparently was disabled in this recording for some reason since others have said the demo has music.

I'm not a HUGE Shenmue fan but excited to give it another try since I finally finished Shenmue 2 a couple months ago.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Just gotta echo... yep that's shenmue.

Y'all gotta realize this game is made for people who like shenmue. If any game isn't made for everyone, it's definitely shenmue.

Jun 4, 2019
As others are saying, I love how this looks like a Shenmue game that would have been on a Dreamcast 2 if that had been produced. Animations, voices, art direction, etc. all feel very Shenmue and I love that. Admittedly, a lot my love for the series is pure nostalgia as some of the game mechanics were a little slow and clunky...but in '99 this series was quasi open world Virtua Fighter and it was mind-blowing.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I love that minigames are back in a big way. But it seems like a weird thing to showcase at E3 lol. At least share some combat, exploration, a bit of a mission.

Still hyped as hell.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind everyone that this is a AA indie game. Probably 5 times or 10 times less the budget than your normal AAA game.

And it is simply amazing what they've accomplished. I've always said i'll buy 2 copies simply to support. It's a dream game.