• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
89YLl7b.jpg

It's like I never left, 18 years ago. Communications aside, it has been worth every penny.

Oct 30, 2017
So far I have only found music files as they are separate from the main package files. It's definitely not the full game but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some subtitle or voice files that have been left in that could obviously contain plot spoilers.
I only ask because we all know this whole campaign's been somewhat incompetent, so it wouldn't shock me. That's great, though. I'd love to sneak a look at areas they've yet to show us, but I think I've already spoiled enough. :)

Demo seems to be a hit so with fans and that's what really matters.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
A PCless friend who backed the kickstarter gave me their code, so grateful to 'em :')

Only had a quick go but I do think it looks lovely given the budget, environments are really nice. Felt really cosy exploring in the way Shenmue tends to, though this time with elegant analog controls!

Kept laughing at just how often Ryo replies with "I see...", almost feels like it was exaggerated for comedic (+nostalgic) effect :p

Game have crazy stutters if you run around... man if UE4 is trash on data streaming (yep, I have it on SSD).

Yeah was wondering if anyone else was getting this, regardless of settings and being on SSD I'd usually get stutters going into a new segment of the map.

Hopefully optimisation can improve things though I suspect it won't be completely eliminated

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
A few other details I've picked up on:

- I like how the flowers on the ground and bushes move when you run through them.

- There's actually an auto-run feature. If you hold down run on a linear path Ryo will follow the path until the end.

- I like how kids won't open the door if Ryo knocks but will speak to him through the door saying their parents aren't home so won't answer.

- I found a orange on the ground below a tree and behind some rocks for the herb collection which was cool.

- I didn't notice my first few playthroughs because I went to the dojo first to train but if you get beat by the bookie and then go the dojo there's a whole story cutscene where the master talks about the bookie which was cool.

This game is so great.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Some very minor spoilers about the music (numbers, amount of new tracks etc.)

There are over 250 tracks in the data files.
There are a very good amount of new tracks (I would say I did not recognize at least half of the tracks I've listened to so far, but I am not too familiar with Shenmue 2's music outside of the main story.)

Last edited:

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome short demo. I think they nailed it and couldn't make it better with this budget. Graphics are wonderful and the music will giving me goosebumps for sure.

i love the night in this game.

FALkkjG.jpg

1F2OGkM.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Some very minor spoilers about the music (numbers, amount of new tracks etc.)

There are over 250 tracks in the data files.
There are a very good amount of new tracks (I would say I did not recognize at least half of the tracks I've listened to so far, but I am not too familiar with Shenmue 2's music outside of the main story.)
There is at least one new vocal track I have found so far.

WHOA! :O

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah was wondering if anyone else was getting this, regardless of settings and being on SSD I'd usually get stutters going into a new segment of the map.

Hopefully optimisation can improve things though I suspect it won't be completely eliminated
It won't, even Spyro Trilogy have stutters when you load new zones.
Let's not talk about how crappy runs Days Gone... UE4 is a really good engine when you talk about rendering and stuff, but on streaming assets it's a problem.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to try this. I was originally planning to play through both of the original games before Shenmue 3 came out but due to time I've had to do movie versions instead. I only just started the Shenmue 2 movie which will be interesting as I never finished that game. I owned it on both Dreamcast and Xbox back in the day but despite how much I loved the first I just always bounced off of the second game. There were just some design choices they made in that game that I found infuriating at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
So far so good it seems. The core Shenmue formula is still there with some addition.
The art direction is doing a lot of work trying to make up for the limited graphics budget.
It's an early build but there is a lot of jaggies and pop in to be seen in addition to the UE4 asset streaming slowdown.
I was not expecting the demo to be so short. Feels like I beat it in 5 minutes.
You are supposed to look around for other things to do other than finding the guy with the scar.
There is a lot of NPC dialogue and mini-games available.
You can even go test the combat some more in the martial hall by fighting some of the people training there.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good it seems. The core Shenmue formula is still there with some addition.
The art direction is doing a lot of work trying to make up for the limited graphics budget.
It's an early build but there is a lot of jaggies and pop in to be seen in addition to the UE4 asset streaming slowdown.

You are supposed to look around for other things to do other than finding the guy with the scar.
There is a lot of NPC dialogue and mini-games available.
You can even go test the combat some more in the martial hall by fighting some of the people training there.
I did all of that. It was just fast. Maybe I'm just efficient.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the email this morning before I left for work but can't try it until I get home.

Graphically looks nice from the screenshots though.

Jcgamer60

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely Shenmue, I am quite satisfied. I especially like wandering around and collecting herbs to simply immerse myself in the environment.

Personal gripes I have are:

- Cross-hair when zooming in first-person mode

- Those red and blur visual cues they have around objects you can interact with - I find these quite distracting and unnecessary. I really hope there is an option to turn these off

- Those audio cues when you are around objects or people of interest (perhaps this are only for demo purposes?)

__
You can smell a bit of the budget as you cannot speak with everyone you see as in the past games (this was already mentioned in past interviews) and when zooming onto a sign Ryo doesn't read it out to you. Pretty much every sign in Shenmue 1 and 2 Ryo would read it out to you once zoomed in.

Other than that every thing seems fine. I feel this will please most Shenmue fans and I can't wait to sink hours into the final game.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm so envy of you right now! I can't play it but I would absolutely take a key if someone doesn't want it.

Reading these impressions is surreal, I can't believe there's an functional Shenmue 3 demo and that is looking as amazing as it is. I can't fucking wait to play the full game on November!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I just played it on my brother's EGS account. This is an incredibly well designed Shenmue game. I absolutely love how they made eating part of the game. The fighting is much better than shenmue 1 & 2. Running around feels much better. This game is going to be incredible for shenmue fans

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
First playthrough,

That was quick, went directly to the guy with the scar, and indeed if you beat him, the demo ends, I had the snake tonic which helps a lot but the fight was tough, I had like 2 circles of health left.

The game looks much better than on the trailers/youtube videos, I guess the video compression kills a lot of how sharp the visuals are.

Only issue so far is I barely can lock onto objects with my 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller, I'll try again with an xbox 360 controller.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
First playthrough,

That was quick, went directly to the guy with the scar, and indeed if you beat him, the demo ends, I had the snake tonic which helps a lot but the fight was tough, I had like 2 circles of health left.

The game looks much better than on the trailers/youtube videos, I guess the video compression kills a lot of how sharp the visuals are.

Only issue so far is I barely can lock onto objects with my 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller, I'll try again with an xbox 360 controller.
It does indeed look much better than the videos. I hope we can turnoff the square box in the zoom feature.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's really nice reading these impressions.

Shenmue is probably my favourite game every and I've didn't al these years searching for updates and dreaming.

I can't believe it's so close. Absolutely can't wait.

Thanks to all for your impressions.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Watched a playthough on YouTube and it looks really great... I didn't back the game so don't have a key but my interest levels are well up after seeing some gameplay!

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
One of my takeaways is just how big the area is. A bunch of paths are locked but you can already see there's a bunch of directions to go and things in the distance you can't reach which will be in the full game. I didn't expect the village to that big so looking forward to exploring the full game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
One of my takeaways is just how big the area is. A bunch of paths are locked but you can already see there's a bunch of directions to go and things in the distance you can't reach which will be in the full game. I didn't expect the village to that big so looking forward to exploring the full game.
I was wondering about that based on the images shown so far - for some reason I assumed the village would be a small place (maybe Dobuita sized?) but the more I see of it the more I wonder if its around the size of all of Shenmue put together (minus the harbor). Makes me wonder how large the second town is, as that looks bigger still!

Oct 30, 2017
What's amazing is they've shown us NOTHING of the town. Everything has concentrated mostly on the demo areas. We are in for a treat.

Oct 30, 2017
I was wondering about that based on the images shown so far - for some reason I assumed the village would be a small place (maybe Dobuita sized?) but the more I see of it the more I wonder if its around the size of all of Shenmue put together (minus the harbor). Makes me wonder how large the second town is, as that looks bigger still!
Yu Suzuki has mentioned the game world is larger than the first two games. It's also supposed to have way more content.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that we're actually getting a shenmue 3 and that it looks so good. Been a wild ride, tbh.

I just now hope that us Kickstarter backers get the physical copies delivered by actual release date.