• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Backers Only! Would you Back Shenmue 4?

• Yes

Votes: 443 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 466 51.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I backed to, well, kickstart the revival of the franchise. That happened. Publishers can do that for the rest of the series. Also, I wasn't happy about my copy arriving after it was out locally in stores.

Oct 30, 2017
without extra funding, there would be no Shenmue 3
True, but if they can't get the funds to make Shenmue IV, it simply isn't meant to be. Sucks, but that's business for you...

The alternative is coming up with a Shenmue IV that doesn't require a large budget, which will of course disappoint some fans. No way they don't disappoint someone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but if they can't get the funds to make Shenmue IV, it simply isn't meant to be. Sucks, but that's business for you...

The alternative is coming up with a Shenmue IV that doesn't require a large budget, which will of course disappoint some fans. No way they don't disappoint someone.
you're preaching to the choir. I don't even like Shenmue, lol. the whole situation is fascinating to me though

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging 3 so far, so I'd be up for kickstarting 4. And I'd be able to contribute a lot more to 4 than I did to 3 as I was much poorer back then.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I don't think Yu would have made this game if he didn't think he could make another one as well. They already have a team familiar with UE4 and lots of assets created this time, so development of a sequel should go much more smoothly.
He made the first two well knowing he could not finish and he made 3 not caring again.

Sales are terrible, 1 publisher and one private investor have already been involved and sure as hell, they are not happy.

Which means a 4th one has to be fully or at least partially funded by the community if they can find a new investor or publisher

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
He made the first two well knowing he could not finish and he made 3 not caring again.

Sales are terrible, 1 publisher and one private investor have already been involved and sure as hell, they are not happy.

Which means a 4th one has to be fully or at least partially funded by the community if they can find a new investor or publisher
Do you have a source for the publisher and investor not being happy, or is that just your speculation? Nobody with any sense expected this game to be a huge seller out of the gate, it was made on a modest budget and targeted directly at fans of the first two games. it was also stated at the start of the Kickstarter campaign that Shenmue 3 would not be the end of the story, so nobody who backed it should have expected it to be.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but at a much lower tier.

When I backed SM3, I was under the impression that this would be Yu Suzuki's one and only chance to finish the story after all these years. I don't think it was a good idea to plan for multiple future Shenmue games, even if this was his original intention. The Kickstarter boom has long been over for video games, sales have been tepid so far (UK, JP), the game hasn't attracted a lot of new fans and I doubt we will get a Shenmue 4 in the foreseeable future.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Shenmue series and want more games to be made. But it was such a risky bet to make a game that doesn't push the story forward in a meaningful way and I personally would have preferred a solution like motion comics that fill in the mid-chapters and a Shenmue 3 that properly finishes the story.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I am not a Shenmue fan at all but I did back 3. I suppose I would back 4 but only if I heard that they had a more realistic outline for how they would end things. Hearing that S3 is only 40% of the way makes me feel they wasted this opportunity a bit.

Honestly though and I mean this in a not mean way, I don't see what Shenmue has to offer today. It might have been very innovative in 2000 but if the new game doesn't progress the story in a meaningful way (least that's what I heard, it might be wrong) then I don't see what S4 can rely on to keep its appeal. Unless it's purely about nostalgia for the fans now.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
No, you can't go back. I sold my copy to someone here after watching some videos. I liked Shenmue, never loved it but wanted to see it get made. They got their chance and kind of missed in my opinion. If they want to make another, great but do it with Epic's money now...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a Shenmue fan at all but I did back 3. I suppose I would back 4 but only if I heard that they had a more realistic outline for how they would end things. Hearing that S3 is only 40% of the way makes me feel they wasted this opportunity a bit.

Honestly though and I mean this in a not mean way, I don't see what Shenmue has to offer today. It might have been very innovative in 2000 but if the new game doesn't progress the story in a meaningful way (least that's what I heard, it might be wrong) then I don't see what S4 can rely on to keep its appeal. Unless it's purely about nostalgia for the fans now.
"walking simulators" and pure storytelling games have been on an upswing. they pretty much carry on Shenmue's legacy. but what Shenmue falters, I think, is that it's held back by its legacy, in both story and function. from the reviews and impressions, the third game is a poor starting point for a new player

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I most definitely would. Shenmue games might be far from universally liked, but they are pretty unique, and I'd like to see the conclusion to Ryo's journey. Yeah, it's true the KS was handled badly on more than a few occasions, but in the end I got another entry in one of my favorite video game sagas

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Nope. Very disappointed with the lack of substantial progress with the story on 3.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I dropped $300 to back the physical PC version, then took it back after the EGS nonsense. I still haven't purchased or played Shenmue 3 and am in no rush to get around to it.

While I appreciate the refund and ultimately think there was "no harm, no foul," I wouldn't partake in another crowdfunding campaign.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Do you have a source for the publisher and investor not being happy, or is that just your speculation? Nobody with any sense expected this game to be a huge seller out of the gate, it was made on a modest budget and targeted directly at fans of the first two games. it was also stated at the start of the Kickstarter campaign that Shenmue 3 would not be the end of the story, so nobody who backed it should have expected it to be.
What part of the huge bomba you did not get? Even if they have not lost money it's clear that the game does not sell, hence either the public pays for it or nobody does.

The game sold a few thousand in each major market, it barely registered in Japan for example where it was I believe at the bottom of the top 40 or completely out.

And good luck asking money with the excuse "you knew all along the game was not over with 3"

And I am ignoring the Epic controversy, which is even more bad news for a sequel founded by you.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. But I wish they make something more appealing to everybody if it ever happens.
I loved 3, but I agree with critics that say it feels dated. Idk if it was intentional to give that shenmue charm mentioned in the ending message, but it sure didn't please who was not a fan of the originals.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
La RĂ©sistance Country
I'm pretty much done with KS and the likes so no.

I did pre-order and picked 3 at launch though. Only then to find out it dropped $30 CAD 10 days later during BF. I managed to get the difference back (and the Dragon Mirror pre-order bonus is pretty cool), but that reaffirms my stance on crowdfunding projects.

I'll buy 4 in-store if it ever sees the day.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
"walking simulators" and pure storytelling games have been on an upswing. they pretty much carry on Shenmue's legacy. but what Shenmue falters, I think, is that it's held back by its legacy, in both story and function. from the reviews and impressions, the third game is a poor starting point for a new player
I feel also that lots of games have taken the baton from Shenmue and evolved some of its most interesting quirks.

Like Outer Wilds was a wonderful game this year that reminds me of Shenmue in a sort of tangential way with how everything runs on its own cycle. Be at point A at a certain time to witness something interesting, or miss out. RDR2 also has that rich sense of mundanity that Shenmue had with the day to day details (not a fair comparison I'll admit).

I'd be totally down for a globetrotting kung fu detective game, but I would prefer it to also feel like it had something new and innovative to show me in 2019 rather than be a sort of history lesson in game design.

That's my 2c as an outsider to the fanbase but backed this

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
What part of the huge bomba you did not get? Even if they have not lost money it's clear that the game does not sell, hence either the public pays for it or nobody does.

The game sold a few thousand in each major market, it barely registered in Japan for example where it was I believe at the bottom of the top 40 or completely out.

And good luck asking money with the excuse "you knew all along the game was not over with 3"

And I am ignoring the Epic controversy, which is even more bad news for a sequel founded by you.
We have no sales data at all for the for the PS4 version in the US market, which is one of the biggest. We also have no sales data at all for the PC version anywhere. Shenmue 3 was not in the bottom of the top 40 in Japan when it released, it was #4. You should really get your facts straight before arguing.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The damage that Deep Silver made with that Epic deal is crazy.

For those of you who don't know: I've heard that the money Epic gave didn't go to Ys Net. It went to Deep Silver.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
They basically made a Dreamcast game with modern tools and assets, and have it all ready to go to continue the series for relatively cheap, right? Do they even need to kickstart anything?

At this point I hope they churn out a few more Shenmue games on this tech and reach the conclusion relatively soon.

If they're going to kickstart again and start from scratch for a sequel... sure, I guess I'd throw down some cash to get the cheaper crowdfunding price. But that would make me feel pretty wary of this thing ever getting close to complete.

For those of you who don't know: I've heard that the money Epic gave didn't go to Ys Net. It wen't to Deep Silver.

This is awful if it's true.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My experience with 3 was pretty much what I expected, and would do it again. Granted, I only backed the minimum to get a console copy though.

I think though that the powers that be need to decide whether or not they want sales or kickstarter money, one or the other, before going down this road again.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
absolutely! i loved the shenmue 3 even if it didnt satisfy my story progression needs

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
No. I backed the original for $180 and got a refund when they announced EGS exclusivity. I'll still pick it up next year when it comes to Steam but they've lost my trust with that.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

For those of you who don't know: I've heard that the money Epic gave didn't go to Ys Net. It went to Deep Silver.

Is there any source you can name that Ys Net didn't see any profit from the exclusivity? I would think at very least it would count as guaranteed sales for them.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Absolutely! I wouldn't give as much money as I did with Shenmue III (which was A LOT), but I'd still give a fairly decent amount.

However, crowdfunding isn't the way to go with Shenmue IV. It wouldn't end well at all now that the shock value is gone. A publisher must step up!

Aug 16, 2019
UK
We have no sales data at all for the for the PS4 version in the US market, which is one of the biggest. We also have no sales data at all for the PC version anywhere. Shenmue 3 was not in the bottom of the top 40 in Japan when it released, it was #4. You should really get your facts straight before arguing.
It was 4th with worse sales with the remastered. The 40 was the week after and I got confused.

Sure, US is going to save the game. I'm done with the conversation, either you really do not know how it works or do not want to understand.

Good luck hoping for Shenmue 4, let alone Shenmue 4 not paid by you

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I backed it, but I haven't played Shenmue III yet. If I like it, then yeah, I'd be down for backing another one, even though this particular crowdfunding campaign had its fair share of issues.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I unbacked because of that epic games store bullshit. Not even gonna buy shenmue 3 when it comes to steam. I was a $500 backer.

Not in a million years. Good job driving away one of your super fans.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Without doubt. I think Shenmue III has its faults and flaws but it also did a wonderful job or recapturing the atmosphere of the originals. Two more games like that but with the objective to also close all the loose plot threads would be incredible. It really is a unique series.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017

Epic sure seems to have succeeded in taking out their competition in Kickstarter though. Good job doing everything you can to ensure those developers can get 12% more of nothing because nobody trusts crowdfunded games any more.

Oct 25, 2017
No way. I backed day one for a Steam key and I got my refund. I still want to play the game eventually when it releases next year, but no way am I ever giving Suzuki money for something up front again.