• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Backers Only! Would you Back Shenmue 4?

• Yes

Votes: 443 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 466 51.3%

• Total voters

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title says it all, really. If you were a backer of Shenmue 3, would you back Shenmue 4? I'm curious to see how long Suzuki can keep this train rolling.

Suzuki says he will "never give up" on his ambition to complete the overall Shenmue story, which has previously been estimated to be less than 50% complete by the end of the third game. In a 2015 AMA, Suzuki said he would like to complete 11 story chapters across at least five games.
Suzuki says in the letter: "For as long as there are those who wish to see Shenmue live on, I will never give up on my own personal journey to complete its story. As with Shenmue 3, the Shenmue story is with you.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
If I did I wouldn't bother doing it for as much as I did before. Probably just a bare minimum copy. Not after what happened with the original campaign, where backers have basically been screwed over on multiple fronts.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, no.

Hell no. Take that exclusivity money and make it if that's how they want to do it and stop with this "I can't possibly finish the story in this game" BS on top of it all.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, to be honest especially after he said that after 3 it's still less than 50% complete. There is no point in backing it since it's pretty clear it'll never be finished.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Yup
But i honestly wouldnt mind if they just wrapped up the story with an anime series or something

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I'll want to wait to see how Shenmue 3 is when it comes out on steam. Gone on a bit of a blackout for it.

I kickstarted SH3 for a PC retail copy and was forced to cancel when they said that all that would be on the disc was a EGS installer.
My only PC retail game would have just been for a storefront that I didn't ask for. Nope. Sorry Yu Suzuki, I love you and I understand, but no.
At least Epic paid for the refund.

I'd probably kickstart it tbh. Shenmue I & II were really special to young me.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes. But not for the ridiculous amount I did for part 3. Just the base amount. Enough to get the game.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would but I believe that going the crowdfunding route for Shenmue IV would be a huge mistake. There wouldn't be a lot of goodwill from the start.

That being said, I also believe that if Shenmue IV is made, it will be funded through a publisher deal.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Yup, bring on Shenmue 4/5. As a shenmue fan i knew going in this wasnt ending with 3 and loved almost all 60 ish hours i played of it.

Id rather not get them than have the game be rushed, part of why i love shenmue is its pace and letting you really live in those environmens

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't back (and so didn't vote) but definitely would now, due to a different financial situation than i had however many years ago.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't, but not for the reasons people are saying. Honestly, I realized after backing that the game wasn't for me. I asked for a refund only because of that. I do wish fans and the team can get what they want, and a sequel happens for them, though.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe, i want to play shenmue 4, but i would think if i would back it or wait for the release and buy later

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I would back it because I want a continuation of a long-form story like this, but I think another Kickstarter would burn away a layer of goodwill for many.

To some extent, the buying market for it is proven, and they've relied on new relationships with corporate backers and financiers in the late stages of the Shenmue III drive that strip away the idea that players need to be the ones putting the money in up-front.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
For me it ended up basically a half-price preorder 4 years in advance

I'd do it again for 4

May 17, 2018
After all the extra funding they received outside of Kickstarter this time, it would be such an insult to do another crowdfunding campaign.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I regretted backing pretty early on. I think it's fascinating in a way that the game launched in 2019 and manages to feel like a Dreamcast game, but I don't need more of that. I'd rather an actual, fully funded with serious money Shenmue (that we will never get).

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I absolutely would, but not to the same level as I did 3 ($250). I just can't afford that these days, sadly :(

I don't think a Shenmue 4 KS would make half as much as 3's did, unfortunately. My hope is that Sega throw, say, $15 mil at YSNet and put 4 on everything.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even over at the Shenmue Dojo, no one wants or expects a fourth game to be Kickstarted. Lots of non-fans backed because of the hype and wouldn't back again, and many people wouldn't back for the higher tier rewards that did it for this one.

ResetERA definitely isn't the right place to be asking though, considering the negativity that's constantly expressed in these threads. I think a Kickstarter would still get around 45-50k backers, but not nearly the amount raised by the 70k+ this time around.

If Shenmue IV happens, it will be from a publisher (Deep Silver or otherwise) jumping on board from the start. People keep talking about "terrible sales" but we don't even have US numbers, nor digital. This game doesn't have to light up the charts to be successful. Look at Darksiders III. Lots of similar headlines about it being a flop, etc., and it turned out it was enough to be profitable and spawn a spin-off.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but it's unlikely they'll do one. It will either be viable to make 4 or it won't. If it is then a publisher will fund it.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
After the terrible sales of 3, I think it will be necessary if a 4 has to be made
I don't think Yu would have made this game if he didn't think he could make another one as well. They already have a team familiar with UE4 and lots of assets created this time, so development of a sequel should go much more smoothly.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Even over at the Shenmue Dojo, no one wants or expects a fourth game to be Kickstarted. Lots of non-fans backed because of the hype and wouldn't back again, and many people wouldn't back for the higher tier rewards that did it for this one.

ResetERA definitely isn't the right place to be asking though, considering the negativity that's constantly expressed in these threads. I think a Kickstarter would still get around 45-50k backers, but not nearly the amount raised by the 70k+ this time around.

If Shenmue IV happens, it will be from a publisher (Deep Silver or otherwise) jumping on board from the start. People keep talking about "terrible sales" but we don't even have US numbers, nor digital. This game doesn't have to light up the charts to be successful. Look at Darksiders III. Lots of similar headlines about it being a flop, etc., and it turned out it was enough to be profitable and spawn a spin-off.

Especially since we can't be sure if "Backers Only" is actually Backers and not just Era being Era.

Oct 30, 2017
I personally would, but I think another Kickstarter would be a nonstarter for a variety of reasons:

1. You can't recreate the hype of waiting 15 years for the franchise's return
  2. Not every fan loved Shenmue 3. Those people aren't likely to back Shenmue 4.
  3. The Kickstarter burned a lot of people. Good luck recapturing those folks
  4. Kickstarter isn't quite as prominent as it was four years ago
  5. No way in Hell is Sony gonna announce/debut Shenmue IV on their E3 stage again
  6. Some people backed Shenmue 3 simply out of curiosity or being swept up in the hype of the moment. There's a huge chance they did not enjoy Shenmue III, given its mixed response.

I think Deep Silver and Ys Net are on their own. If they expect to even come close to a world record-breaking Kickstarter goal, then they're out of their minds.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
PC users were not treated reasonably and even struggled to get refunded when they back tracked on their promises.

Got my refund, and will never support them in future.
Moreover, I'm avoiding backing any games going forward, and devs reneging on promises are to thank for that

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I want to see a 4th game and I have enjoyed 3 so far (although I couldn't recommend it), but how the campaign post-funding was handled really put me off
I could commit to a "I'll pre-order/buy day 1" but to actually put money beyond that into a campaign its a definite no

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I gave them a ton for 3. Is 4 going to move the story a tiny bit, and will there be 10 more I need to back after? If so, I'm out. If not, if 4 concludes the story or comes close, I'd probably back.

The 3 KS was a disaster. I'd also need assurances this one would be properly handled. I still can't redeem my DLC code weeks later and have gotten none of my physical stuff.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really does seem that crowdfunding video games has become less prominent since then, I wonder why. Was it because of disappointments with how certain titles turned out, oversturation, or do we just have more publishers willing to foot the bill now than we did back then?