• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's more memeable/quotable?

• Thanos

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • Sheev Palpatine

Votes: 380 83.3%

• Total voters

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will peeps be quoting thanos in 10 - 15 years?
Do you think that if the trailer for Avengers 9 ended with Thanos saying "I am inevitable" would be nearly as exciting as the trailer for Star Wars Episode 9 ending with The Emperor's laugh?

I don't think so.

People like showing how old and out of touch they are whenever we have topics discussing the cultural impact of the MCU. Like, they just spend their time twisting themselves into knots about how the biggest cinematic event in history and the climax of the most successful film franchise ever somehow made no impression with audiences and will be forgotten in a few months while their favorite movies/franchises from when they were kids will continue to be hot shit forever.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine had three movies where he was the only worthwhile element besides Obi-Wan. I mean, I can't recall a single Palpatine line from the OT but there's countless ones from the prequels.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos didn't say anything MEMEy. He mostly spoke matter-of-factly.

The Emperor, on the other hand, was a goddamn meme machine.

"Good, Good".

"I am the Senate"

"I will make it legal"

"Unlimited power!!!!!"

"Are you threatening me?"

"Execute Order 66"

"You want this..."

"I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again."

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos, if only because he has a shitload of more dialogue than Sheev ever did. Theres more good quotes to pick from. Its a simple calculus.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
People like showing how old and out of touch they are whenever we have topics discussing the cultural impact of the MCU. Like, they just spend their time twisting themselves into knots about how the biggest cinematic event in history and the climax of the most successful film franchise ever somehow made no impression with audiences and will be forgotten in a few months while their favorite movies/franchises from when they were kids will continue to be hot shit forever.
Breh chill.. i am just 25.

And the MCU is bigger than Star Wars, there is no denying that. I just think Palpatine is more memorable than Thanos.

is 25 old :o

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Thanos seems like a down to earth and upstanding guy, you drink a beer with him and leave the bar before he starts talking about his half & half shit and starts throwing chairs.

Palpo is the mofo that right out of the gate is running his mouth about that one dude he messed up good up while he was sleeping and constantly cackles away and he isn't even drunk, harmless dude but annoying!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine lets me smile wickedly and say "dew eet"

Plus you tell me how often does someone say variation of "yes yes let the hate flow through you" in a Palpatine voice?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a good trick!

Thanos is a well written character with some great lines, but Palpatine is infinitely quotable due to how much fun McDiarmid was clearly having with the role, and the hokiness of the writing. I hate the prequels, but it is so much fun to quote, and not just Palpy.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The quotes and memes game is like the NBA vs high school.

Thanos caught up in his own snap on this one.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanos isn't nearly as memeable as Sheev.

Call me when there's a MCU equivalent to r/prequelmemes

There's actually a lot of good MCU quote/memes but they tend to come from characters who are not Thanos. Thor's "Is he though" will live for years.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It's weird seeing people say Thanos isn't memeable, when I'm pretty sure most MCU memes come solely from him.

Now he's not palpatine, but dude is definitely the biggest meme source from that franchise.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Sheev is more ridiculous, but I think Thanos quotes are more fun to apply to mundane life situations

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conversely there are those so invested in new media that they twist themselves into knots whenever anyone expresses an opinion that doesn't give their golden calf the praise they think it deserves.

Frankly it's out of touch to think that Star Wars won't remain an S-Tier cultural touchstone for our lifetimes.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's not fair, Palpatine is pure godly cheese and arguably the best part of the whole franchise

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
What's even quotable about Thanos? He's always moping, moaning and being quite boring.
Can't even remember a single thing he said.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Thanos the Mad Titan? I thought not. It's not a story the Avengers would tell you. It's a cosmic legend. Thanos was a Mad Titan of the Titans, so powerful and so mad he could use the Infinity Stones to destroy half the universe's population… He had such a knowledge of the Infinity Stones that he could even toss the ones he cared about off of cliffs for them. The Infinity Stones are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his stones, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he used the stones to destroy the stones, then Thor killed him in his home. Ironic. He could sacrifice others for the stones, but not himself.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
I mean when you simply write "Sheev Palpatine" in the poll you know who's winning. Everything about him is either, menacing, fun, or ridiculous. He's the wicked witch of the west cranked up to 10. Thanos is just too prudish for the most part. He's not going to cackle madly as he's having a blast committing genocide, he's going to sit there all stone faced and try to justify it. Sheev just doesn't care.

Oct 27, 2017
If you ridiculous people insist on using the name Sheev because of one obscure reference, you should also call Thanos by his actual name Dione.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the marvel movies but come on...

I cant even remember a single quote from thanos.

Sheev on the other hand - you can get through life by pretty much using only his lines

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Sheev by a wide margin.

Thanos was way too effective of a villain to be very meme-able.

Sheev has DEW IT.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sheev lol.

But yeah, it's Palpatine for me. Not having seen Thanos in anything probably helps, but I've a good feeling that Sheev (ha ha ha) would still win regardless.