• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is quite possibly my favorite thing about their ending: they do not change, not really.

More than Catra, her one good thing is just that: one good decision in a sea of very poor ones. Had she survived, she makes it clear she would have continued being a dick.

I love it.
I absolutely love that she did it for her "daughters" though. It felt right.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is quite possibly my favorite thing about their ending: they do not change, not really.

More than Catra, her one good thing is just that: one good decision in a sea of very poor ones. Had she survived, she makes it clear she would have continued being a dick.

I love it.
They even outright acknowledge it.

"It's too late for me. But you... This is only the beginning for you. I'm so proud of you Catra."

I think Shadow Weaver says that last part because she realizes that Catra can do the one thing Shadow Weaver cannot: Change.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Am I the only one who's not binging stuff on Netflix? I'm at episode 4 and I need at least 4 more days.

Love how much screentime Entrapta gets so far.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued by Noelle's comment at the end about leaving things open for now, but that she is tempted to come back to the world of She-Ra, she'd just need to think of a proper conflict to work with.

First thing that came to mind would be possibly rescuing Angella from the limbo zone she got trapped in at the end of Season 3. Heck it could even be a way to continue Catra's growth by having her be the one to want and lead the charge to find her as a means of working to undo some of the damage she caused prior to her redemption. Though with how the show wrote the scenes about her afterward, I have to wonder if the unannounced canon is that Angella died after her sacrifice.

This would make a really good arc if they ever wanted to go back to the series. it really is one of the lingering plot threads. Though, honestly, I would watch anything they wanted to do with this cast again.

This season was just shockingly refreshing. It is so rare for series to really get their finales right, but this was better then I could have expected. It's been wonderful to see so many people here and online talk about how much they were moved and enjoyed this final season. It feels like the bar has been raised for not just Netflix animated series, but western animated series in general. I hope in the coming years we see a lot of series that take some inspiration from She-Ra.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I felt sorry for Entrapta when the Princesses snapped at her for helping the Horde but they were right to call her out for nearly killing them with her robots.
I enjoyed that moment because we saw both how Entrapta's behavior looks to the other characters and how Entrapta herself sees it. And both parties actually change in response to the others' viewpoints. It's so rare to have a show where when there's a disagreement, it's handled by the characters just talking to each other so they can understand where the other is coming from.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I felt a profound emptiness that this show is over and we will probably never see any more of these characters.
I don't know what it was about this show, but it was somehow really special.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I felt a profound emptiness that this show is over and we will probably never see any more of these characters.
I don't know what it was about this show, but it was somehow really special.

pxr8fldob8z41.png

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Binged the rest of the season today, really loved it. I'm surprised by how well they turned Catra's character around for me. And I love how all the characters got at least one chance to shine.

Unfortunately the big moment at the end was spoiled for me in a completely unrelated thread here and it deflated my enjoyment of it somewhat since I knew it was coming. I love how they built up to that moment and if I hadn't known it was going to happen I would have been sat there fingers crossed and hoping like when The Legend of Korra ended and my little queer heart would have burst but alas I still enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint is that there was only 1 kiss, Netassa and Spinnerella notwithstanding. I was expending: Entrapta/Hordak, Bow/Glimmer (that didn't count), and Scorpia/Perfuma at the very least.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Also can we just appreciate how super subtle Adora's powers were this season, rainbows everywhere.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
My only complaint is that there was only 1 kiss, Netassa and Spinnerella notwithstanding. I was expending: Entrapta/Hordak, Bow/Glimmer (that didn't count), and Scorpia/Perfuma at the very least.
I feel like there was a hard limit and they allocated it well.
It's super refreshing and groundbreaking that all the mouth to mouth kisses in the series are between women.

Regarding Scorpia and Perfuma, I was hoping there would be more but there wasn't enough build up between them. Scorpia is still adjusting to being around people that care about her and show it. Catra and the Horde fucked her up. Also Scorpia may not be into kissing. She always proclaims herself a hugger. It would be cool if the intent there is Scorpia's on the ace spectrum.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Spinnerella kicking everyone's asses is some prime meme material considering who voices her.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, am I crazy? I never read Perfuma and Scorpia as romantic. Her relationship with Perfuma seemed like a healthier version of her relationship to Catra.

In my mind, Scorpia is the Charles Boyle of the show: wayyyyy too into her platonic relationships.

I feel like Spinnerella kicking everyone's asses is some prime meme material considering who voices her.

Yeah I chortled when I realized who voiced her.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Another good interview.
Noelle's thoughts on love, evil, redemption, and epilogues.
Wait, am I crazy? I never read Perfuma and Scorpia as romantic. Her relationship with Perfuma seemed like a healthier version of her relationship to Catra.

In my mind, Scorpia is the Charles Boyle of the show: wayyyyy too into her platonic relationships.
Well, I think Scorpia is still figuring herself out, but she's the Bow of the Horde dishing out platonic love. Though I felt that earlier seasons showed she had a romantic interest in Catra. She (awkwardly) tried asking her out in one episode.

Oct 25, 2017
Another good interview.
Noelle's thoughts on love, evil, redemption, and epilogues.

I'm quite fond of what Noelle is saying in these interviews! Her points on Shadow Weaver and Bow were both great.

Well, I think Scorpia is still figuring herself out, but she's the Bow of the Horde dishing out platonic love. Though I felt that earlier seasons showed she had a romantic interest in Catra. She (awkwardly) tried asking her out in one episode.

Oh yeah, Scorpia definitely had a crush on Catra. Remember how she spent that one episode in Season 2 trapped with Drunk Adora and getting jealous over her?

I'd say Scorfuma was likely written to be read as romantic, but either way I'd wager it was too early in their relationship with one another for them to actually hook up yet like the rest of the pairings. So instead we got Scorpia stumbling over her words to compliment Perfuma's looks just before the bit with her forgiving Catra.

Honestly if Noelle were to ever bring the show back or do a post-canon comic or movie, exploring Scorpia and Perfuma's relationship more would make for an excellent subplot narrative.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it pretty well over all and will defend it forever, I hope some aspects of it get incorporated for future versions, plus that new She-Ra design and transformation is great but as I mentioned before I'm conflicted because of the limitations and unless there's some sort of continuation later without those restrictions my continued hang-ups thanks in part due to the rights/licensing issues are going to always leave a bit of bitterness in not getting to further explore the mythology with this version, aside from being a First One we don't really get Adora's origin or any of that but especially since reuniting with her family primarily Adam was the thing that resonated with me as a kid due to having family on my "father's" side that haven't really been a part of my life, including at least sister I've never met and know almost nothing about.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it pretty well over all and will defend it forever, I hope some aspects of it get incorporated for future versions, plus that new She-Ra design and transformation is great but as I mentioned before I'm conflicted because of the limitations and unless there's some sort of continuation later without those restrictions my continued hang-ups thanks in part due to the rights/licensing issues are going to always leave a bit of bitterness in not getting to further explore the mythology with this version, aside from being a First One we don't really get Adora's origin or any of that but especially since reuniting with her family primarily Adam was the thing that resonated with me as a kid due to having family on my "father's" side that haven't really been a part of my life, including at least sister I've never met and know almost nothing about.

That's interesting. I had no real knowledge of the old lore, so the lack of He-Man stuff never really bothered me. I wouldn't mind if a sequel series or comic covered that stuff. That would be really cool, but I have no idea how they would do that.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite fond of what Noelle is saying in these interviews! Her points on Shadow Weaver and Bow were both great.

Oh yeah, Scorpia definitely had a crush on Catra. Remember how she spent that one episode in Season 2 trapped with Drunk Adora and getting jealous over her?

I'd say Scorfuma was likely written to be read as romantic, but either way I'd wager it was too early in their relationship with one another for them to actually hook up yet like the rest of the pairings. So instead we got Scorpia stumbling over her words to compliment Perfuma's looks just before the bit with her forgiving Catra.

Honestly if Noelle were to ever bring the show back or do a post-canon comic or movie, exploring Scorpia and Perfuma's relationship more would make for an excellent subplot narrative.

Scorpia and Catra definitely was romantic at times. Especially earlier on.

Don't really see her and Perfuma though.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the opening theme is adjusted based on what's going on in the show is such a small thing but adds so much. When my partner and I noticed that Catra and Adora go from fighting to smiling at each other, we both D'AWWWWWW'd.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Noelle Stevenson's interview with the AV Club. It has some interesting tidbits.
tv.avclub.com

Noelle Stevenson on the evolving relationships in She-Ra's final eps

"She turned to me and asked, 'Do I read this as romantic or platonic?' In that moment, I made the decision,'" She-Ra and the Princesses of Power creator Noelle Stevenson tells The A.V. Club of recording the final season of her Netflix series

She-Ra Shippuden incoming? :D

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That's interesting. I had no real knowledge of the old lore, so the lack of He-Man stuff never really bothered me. I wouldn't mind if a sequel series or comic covered that stuff. That would be really cool, but I have no idea how they would do that.
Yeah, like I said before I'm a bit envious of that. I never really cared if He-Man was used, mainly would just want her family. I'd love a sequel series of Adora finds out where she came from and arrives on Eternia and make it kind of inverse of Hordak and Etheria like the original though this time it's Skeletor and his crew that are far more competent. Unfortunately unless the coming Netflix He-Man shows and the movie flop and sends Mattel into a panic, the chances of these versions of the characters and being able to expand into MOTU stuff is less than zero.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like I said before I'm a bit envious of that. I never really cared if He-Man was used, mainly would just want her family. I'd love a sequel series of Adora finds out where she came from and arrives on Eternia and make it kind of inverse of Hordak and Etheria like the original though this time it's Skeletor and his crew that are far more competent. Unfortunately unless the coming Netflix He-Man shows and the movie flop and sends Mattel into a panic, the chances of these versions of the characters and being able to expand into MOTU stuff is less than zero.

Isn't the Netflix He-Man show a continuation of the original show? Therefore having it's own She-Ra?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

That stinks. I would love to see this crew's take on the He-Man franchise.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was a pretty fucking fantastic season of television. I binged most of the show for the first time in advance of the final season, and I caught up right on time. I was quite impressed - I liked the show a lot more than Voltron. Its interesting that this show did better in 13 episodes what Voltron dragged out into several seasons. I think the ending was a bit anti-climactic due to the lack of a big fight, but it was decent enough.

Overall:
+Catra was really well done, and is basically the highlight of the show. S4 Catra was basically S3 Azula from TLA but honestly her entire arc was portrayed really well.
+Surprisingly deep lore
+Fun cast of characters
+Great animation
+Horde Prime made for a great villain. Really, really liked him.

Small issues I had with the show:
-Large cast of characters means not all of them were well developed
-Ice girl's personality changed between S1 and S2
-Earlier seasons were occasionally repetitive
-Bringing back Glimmers dad was stupid
-The show plays fast and loose with distance - the princesses kingdoms are far from eachother, spanning the entire planet yet they can seemingly get to brightmoon on short notice.
-The world building isn't great. Unlike in a show like ALTA, we don't really get a sense for the various cultures that exist

The major issue I had with the show is about redemption. A lot of characters get redeemed, but... do they deserve it? Pretty much all of the characters that get redeemed change their side because they were being treated badly, not because they realized that committing war crimes is pretty fucking terrible. Its hard to root for these characters when they didn't reckon with the fact that they're bad people who have made horrific mistakes that hurt innocent people. The show paints the picture that people can be redeemed, but I don't think it earns those redemptions, at least not fully.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't the Netflix He-Man show a continuation of the original show? Therefore having it's own She-Ra?
The first one is supposed to be some sort of continuation but IIRC there won't be any She-Ra or Adora. The second one is He-Man reboot and who knows where that's going to go, not a fan of going with 3D animation. Plus there's a possibility that She-Ra and some of those characters as well as MOTU characters that were created by Filmation could to be off limits depending on what kind of agreement Mattel and Dreamworks Animation have in place.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm thankful that the new MoTU has nothing to do with this She-Ra and vice versa.

That's fair. I just really liked what the crew did with She-Ra, so I would have probably enjoyed seeing their takes on the other characters. Though, I really have no history with either franchise so I couldn't tell you if it would tonally fit or not. All I can really say is that this series has been one of the few really good action adventures series I've seen in a long time. Star vs turned into a total mess, and SU was never really an action series at heart.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The major issue I had with the show is about redemption. A lot of characters get redeemed, but... do they deserve it? Pretty much all of the characters that get redeemed change their side because they were being treated badly, not because they realized that committing war crimes is pretty fucking terrible. Its hard to root for these characters when they didn't reckon with the fact that they're bad people who have made horrific mistakes that hurt innocent people. The show paints the picture that people can be redeemed, but I don't think it earns those redemptions, at least not fully.

Most the characters with actual redemption arcs are those who were socially or chemically brainwashed.

For these, of course it makes sense that before they can learn to be good to others, they must first learn to be good to themselves.

That seems to be an underlying theme in this series. Of all the characters to turn face, Adora is the only one to do it by truly being selfless.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Did we ever get info about Catra's origins? I cant recall where Shadow Weaver found her or where she came from. I dont think we ever saw anyone else like her.

When she bonded with Melog I wondered if maybe she was a princess of that other planet and ended up on Etheria when Hordak arrived and thats why she had a connection to Melog
But I guess that wasn't the case

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a perfect finale, I'm so happy! Feels so rare that show nails the finale, haven't been this happy about a show's ending since Korra.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
A lot has been said about how great the finale of this season was, but man episode 5 is a real close contender for best episode of the season for me. The animation is great, especially the facial expressions during the big fight scenes are on par with the best the show has ever done. The VA's sold all the pain and desperation and creepiness.

Everything leading up to Catra falling off the edge, was amazing. The overlay of her voice and Horde Prime's whenever he rexerted control of her had a great unsettling effect. This episode is what absolutely sold me on the ship still being possible, and does such a great job f setting up their new dynamic going forward for the rest of the season.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, that was amazing. IMO, Noelle Stevenson should do He Man next. Mostly because I want more of this version of She Ra, but also because I can't imagine any of the current He Man projects being as good as this was.

Netflix has two different new He Man cartoons in the works, coming up at the same time.

One is 2D, produced by Kevin Smith and animated by the studio that did the Netflix Castlevania anime, and it's attempting to be a sequel to the 1980's He Man cartoon (but it will probably ignore She Ra, thanks to the rights wall).

The other is 3D CGI, animated by the studio that did Trollhunters. This one is a full reboot. It has nothing to do with the 1980's He Man, or with Noelle Stevenson's She Ra.

There's also a live action He Man movie in the works, produced by Sony Pictures. Because Mattel loves brand confusion.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot has been said about how great the finale of this season was, but man episode 5 is a real close contender for best episode of the season for me. The animation is great, especially the facial expressions during the big fight scenes are on par with the best the show has ever done. The VA's sold all the pain and desperation and creepiness.

Everything leading up to Catra falling off the edge, was amazing. The overlay of her voice and Horde Prime's whenever he rexerted control of her had a great unsettling effect. This episode is what absolutely sold me on the ship still being possible, and does such a great job f setting up their new dynamic going forward for the rest of the season.

I completely agree, Episode 5 was easily one of the best in the whole series, let alone Season 5. And of course, it's got one of the cheekiest titles ever ('Save the Cat'), despite being one of the show's darkest points.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've joked about this before but now I'm serious, if Nickelodeon wanted to do a third animated Avatar show (probably for Netflix) and Bryke didn't want to do it for whatever reason, they should give the reigns to Noelle.

Oct 25, 2017
Nickoledeon shoved the final season of Korra onto their shit website and gave Netflix the worst quality of ATLA when Blu-ray's exist.

That franchise is never coming back.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I've joked about this before but now I'm serious, if Nickelodeon wanted to do a third animated Avatar show (probably for Netflix) and Bryke didn't want to do it for whatever reason, they should give the reigns to Noelle.
Or better yet a remake of Korra that isn't a total mess.

In my dreams

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nickoledeon shoved the final season of Korra onto their shit website and gave Netflix the worst quality of ATLA when Blu-ray's exist.

That franchise is never coming back.

I mean they literally sold the rights to a live action TV show to Netflix so clearly they do have some interest in monetizing the IP, just not on their own network.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, that was one hell of a finely crafted episode.
Directed by Jen Bennett
Written by Noelle Stevenson
Storyboards by Brendan Clogher, Morgan Hillebrand, Jasmine Goggins, Mickey Quinn, and Sharon Sun

Apparently Mickey Quinn is THE storyboard artist for Catradora moments.