• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
For those wanting more She-Ra, don't count on it. From the interview I posted earlier.
"I want people to be able to imagine what comes next, and to have this world feel very big, and that there's so much more that can still happen, while still feeling like an ending, and feeling like everything ended the way it was supposed to. I really hope people just continue to elaborate on, and embellish that, in their own works or in their own stories."
Basically she's straight up encouraging fan fiction, which you don't see often.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was a very satisfying ending
while I do agree Catra could have used a extra season of redemption since it was 4 seasons of downfall for her and one actual season of redemption, I still have to say I really enjoyed her redemption arc and her relationship with Adora, it all felt natural and it had smiling all the way through

Shadow Weaver on the other hand, yeah that's probably the worst part of the season

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Started watching the final season earlier today, can't wait to see how it ends.
I do hope Double Trouble makes another appearance.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Okay She-Ra. You won me over.

This show does such a good job handling its character development. I didn't even think I would ever like Catra yet here we are.

I figured Noelle would run into some pushback regarding Catradora, but she did a great job incorporating it in despite the restrictions.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Okay She-Ra. You won me over.

This show does such a good job handling its character development. I didn't even think I would ever like Catra yet here we are.

I figured Noelle would run into some pushback regarding Catradora, but she did a great job incorporating it in despite the restrictions.
Yeah I was pretty skeptical about it because I thought the end of S4 was the end of that plot issue but so much of S5 was justification for the turnaround. I mean, my specific hang ups with that story direction were personal and nitpicky tbh but it was still an unexpected delight to see those points addressed.

It was enjoyable. Even though the ending has promise for the future, the big mysteries had satisfying answers, characters had complete arcs, ongoing conflicts were resolved and long awaited character reunions are realized. Just a pleasant conclusion to what was built before it.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
UGH that was SO good. Binged the entire season in one go and it's just left me so fricking happy. Easily my favorite stretch of the show.
I think the Catrademption was fairly well handled, though I definitely agree it could have used an extra season to build up. They unfortunately didn't have the time so, considering the limitations, it was about as good as it had any hope of being. Catra's actions were built on her self-loathing and feelings of rejection. Finding her conscience in the magical cat and her admitting her feelings for Adora really did make her turn feel natural to me and her integration into the group honestly isn't that hard to believe. Also UGH, Catadora being the central focus of the season with actual payoff at the end makes me SO happy. They actually did it... no subtext, no 'they're holding hands so they love each other now', they shot for the moon and it was perfect. I'm glad Bow and Glimmer also had their moment of acknowledging their love for one another as well. It's probably less profound, but it was clear that at least Glimmer always was interested in Bow.

I guess some criticisms:
- I would have really liked more Scorpia and it was a huge bummer that Mermista was evil for most of it considering she's the best 'princess' imo. Hordak also got short changed hard. He really needed another scene or two. The cast of the show is just so large... which brings me to my next point...

- On one hand, I'm glad Netossa and Spinnerella were so prominent as another lgbt couple, but on the other hand I just don't find their personalities to be that interesting compared to some of the other characters who weren't in the season. I hate to say it, but I'd have probably scaled back on them for some moments with some other characters.

- Shadow Weaver's sacrifice was a nice moment but ehhh.... I found that one hard to believe. I'm actually having trouble pinpointing when it was that her character stopped being completely about herself and realized that her pursuit of power in the past was wrong. It felt like her character arc was at a standstill since season 3 and they suddenly remembered at the last minute she needed some kind of moment to close her character out. I think more than anyone else, her arc really suffered from the abbreviated conclusion. Adora's denouncement of her (in I think it was the second to last episode?) was extremely cathartic though.

I am extremely satisfied with it as a complete story and accept this is the whole tale that Noelle wanted to tell but by god if I wouldn't be over the moon if there was another season. I would seriously watch an entire season that was just domestic moments like in that brief 'flash forward' scene in the last episode. Or an anthology series that was just the central 4 basically having one giant double date/road trip through the galaxy.

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, they are a real power couple. Unfortunately it was hard for the emotional beats to land for me since they had been background characters for so long.

Yeah at first it fell a bit flat, but the more we saw them interact, the more invested I got.

In an ideal world where this season had about 5 more episodes, this dynamic could have been perfectly encapsculated within the season. As is, they come pretty close.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at first it fell a bit flat, but the more we saw them interact, the more invested I got.

In an ideal world where this season had about 5 more episodes, this dynamic could have been perfectly encapsculated within the season. As is, they come pretty close.
Yeah, the end of the conflict worked for me. In an ideal world, they wouldn't have been forced to be mostly background characters up until this season. *sigh*

I've been thinking to myself on how the show could have been better structured ideally. Seasons 1 and 4 had the biggest missteps to me, though it's more clear in hindsight that executive meddling had a role to play.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Taking the focus away from the supporting cast was a smart decision to sell Catra's arc, but it also piled up the already claustrophobic room with more baggage when they introduce the Star Siblings and bring back Double Trouble only to give them tiny cameos later on. I can't complain about the core cast's treatment, though. Even Bow got to do the big Avengers Assemble moment while his dads watched, showing them how far he's come.

New She-Ra design is great. And short-hair Catra is, of course, best Catra.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping this series would be able to stick the landing. There was so much set up in the first 4 (really 3) seasons and I had my doubts that they could provide a satisfying resolution. Especially with a whole new villain and conflict.

Goddamn did it stick the landing.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of strong emotional moments this season. Really liked it.

I liked the line
"So the only person I'm fighting here is... my own wife."

Very well-delivered and landed pretty hard.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of strong emotional moments this season. Really liked it.

I liked the line
"So the only person I'm fighting here is... my own wife."

Very well-delivered and landed pretty hard.

That was a great line. That whole story did a great job of making me really care about those two characters. I always liked them, but I never really expected them to carry an entire dramatic arc. The voice actresses did a really great job selling the drama too.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not nearly enough Double Trouble this season but at least we got one episode.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The voice actor of Hordak/Hordak Prime was secret MvP of this season (and really, the entire show). He had such a range. Hordak Prime was just so menacing throughout while 'Wrong Hordak' just had me busting up in just about every scene he was in.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The voice actor of Hordak/Hordak Prime was secret MvP of this season (and really, the entire show). He had such a range. Hordak Prime was just so menacing throughout while 'Wrong Hordak' just had me busting up in just about every scene he was in.
Indeed. I especially love how he was able to make the actual Hordak distinct from the rest just by a slightly different intonation.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
First episode: I love Catra
Last episode: I love Catra

I liked the show, I'd recommended to everyone who wants to watch something to have fun.

Agree completely.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
There is so much to appreciate about the final season the more I think about it.
I thought Catra would gain some new power or ability once she joined up with the Rebellion but they subverted that. Instead she finds an emotional support animal in Melog, who does lend her magical support. It's an important step in her growth in terms of starting to rely on others for help.

I just love the circumstances and build up to Adora and Catra finally acting on their feelings. Catra and Adora respectively embody the selfish and selfless dimensions of love. That also ties into their respective self-destructive behaviors, which are partly a result of the abuse they received from Shadow Weaver. Catra's unsaitable need to have power and recognition is the most recognizable from the beginning and rapidly worsens over the course of the first three story arcs culminating in her losing everything. Adora's unhealthy need to have a greater purpose doesn't become more apparent until the third arc culminating in the series finale. Traditionally you'd expect Adora, the selfless hero, to be the one that stops and saves Catra from herself. That doesn't happen, Catra gets to where she needs to be emotionally for growth through the consequences of her own actions. Conversely Adora's actions can't fully lead her to where she needs to be. In the end it's Catra that saves Adora from literal self-destruction by offering her love and a purpose other than being a hero willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 4 and loving this season so far.
Entrapta is still the best, and Scorpia and Swiftwind being BFF's gives me the warm fuzzies.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reddit is cracking me up

1fe0ywa9e5z41.jpg

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
AH I LOVED IT.
Felt bad for Shadow Weaver though. But I guess she was beyond redemption.
I loved Shadow Weaver's ending. By doing just one selfless thing to help the two people she had hurt the most, she ultimately died a happier and more worthwhile person than she lived... Yet even then she can't resist a smug "You're welcome."

And that last look at her scarred face, finally content and unashamed, was golden.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Just finished it, loved it all.

Laughed hard at a lot of places, but the demonstration of Catra's weakness made me struggle to breathe. So good.

The new transformation sequence is incredible.

The RPG book that got mentioned last year turning out to be an April Fools joke really sucks now. I'd pay good money and even try to run it.

I assume I'll be seeing the failsafe design tattoo's soon.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally unbanned so I can now inform you all that I binged the whole season on Friday afternoon and at approximately 4:30PM EST I died, I became deceased, my physical body melted and my soul was transformed through gay energy and I transcended to a higher plane of existence.

Thank you Queen Noelle, we have no choice but to stan

CATRADORA IS FUCKING CANON AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
It was a really great season and a near perfect finale. The side characters suffered a lot from lack of screen time, and Catra got off a little too easily considering her crimes, but it's a kids show and the resolution was ultimately cathartic.

I'm glad the other princesses actually slapped sense into Entrapta. Characters like that always annoy me because no one ever calls them on their shit, and here the show outright forces her to confront the problems she creates. It was really well done.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked that!

As someone who was somewhat against Adora x Catra due to the actions of the latter, they did at least make it work...

But did anyone feel like no one bringing up the Queen Angella stuff? Like it was Catra who activated the portal that resulted her basically being stuck in Limbo forever... Maybe I missed a mention of it.

Regardless it was a great finale. Sort of a nice compliment to that thread about "bad endings" lol.

Wrong Hordak was the best new character.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I love this series. Gay characters are actually written well in an action adventure series. This show needs to have an ps5 next gen game made of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I really liked that!

As someone who was somewhat against Adora x Catra due to the actions of the latter, they did at least make it work...

But did anyone feel like no one bringing up the Queen Angella stuff? Like it was Catra who activated the portal that resulted her basically being stuck in Limbo forever... Maybe I missed a mention of it.

Regardless it was a great finale. Sort of a nice compliment to that thread about "bad endings" lol.

Wrong Hordak was the best new character.

The Grand Redeeming may be the great debate in the fandom for years to come. I have seen better and I have seen worse.

Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
I cried 4 seperate times watching this season. So damn good.

Really excited to see whatever Noelle does next!

I'm so glad shows like this and SU exist nowadays, I wish they had when I was a kid

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Here's Noelle Stevenson's interview with the AV Club. It has some interesting tidbits.
tv.avclub.com

Noelle Stevenson on the evolving relationships in She-Ra's final eps

"She turned to me and asked, 'Do I read this as romantic or platonic?' In that moment, I made the decision,'" She-Ra and the Princesses of Power creator Noelle Stevenson tells The A.V. Club of recording the final season of her Netflix series

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was pretty iffy on Catadora this season has warmed me up a lot on them. Whole kiss was amazing.

Also yay for Entrapdak

Great ending to the show but I'm sad it's over. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on what Noelle does next.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would have been fun for the computer to refer to Adora as a twin at some point or perhaps Entrapta to mention finding something off hand aloofly.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a good action game with these characters. So many characters have distinct characters have such distinct powers that would be fun to play as.
Yas! I want a DLC separate adventure for Netossa and Spinnerella. I know it will never happen but i would love a AAA hugh budget game made for She-Ra and the princesses of power.

Honestly I don't want this show to end.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Noelle Stevenson's interview with the AV Club. It has some interesting tidbits.
tv.avclub.com

Noelle Stevenson on the evolving relationships in She-Ra's final eps

"She turned to me and asked, 'Do I read this as romantic or platonic?' In that moment, I made the decision,'" She-Ra and the Princesses of Power creator Noelle Stevenson tells The A.V. Club of recording the final season of her Netflix series

I'm intrigued by Noelle's comment at the end about leaving things open for now, but that she is tempted to come back to the world of She-Ra, she'd just need to think of a proper conflict to work with.

First thing that came to mind would be possibly rescuing Angella from the limbo zone she got trapped in at the end of Season 3. Heck it could even be a way to continue Catra's growth by having her be the one to want and lead the charge to find her as a means of working to undo some of the damage she caused prior to her redemption. Though with how the show wrote the scenes about her afterward, I have to wonder if the unannounced canon is that Angella died after her sacrifice.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season this morning and I am absolutely speechless. I am so, SO DAMN HAPPY THAT CATRADORA IS CANNON! YES! YES! YES! YES!

The season was strong from start to finish. Catra's redemption arc was awesome and made her eventual confession to Adora well earned imo... gahh that scene was so beautiful too! While I do find the conclusion extremely satisfying, part of me is dying to have a one-off episode or movie so we can get some more Catradora, as it is now CANON! Hell give me a one-off that is a timeskip like the one we saw in the finale!

I'm rambling at this point. Thank you so much Noelle Stevenson, and thank you Ultimadrago for watching this show with me!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Very rarely has a show started so middling to drop to such a low (in quality) only to rise up to the challenge and land the ending. I actually enjoyed the whole of Season 5, which I was hoping I would after Season 4 picked things up. Other seasons had their moments, but none touched the consistency of Season 5. I'm legitimately impressed with how the buildup to Hordak Prime was handled and executed. The threat was present and actually takes time to tackle. Everyone feels involved in their own way and gets the screentime to justify the battle. I was finding myself wanting to move onto the next episode rather than dreading whatever nonsense it would cook up.

Catra, my favorite, got the happy ending I've wanted for her since Season 1
and the story makes sure that she and Adora go through their lumps in order to reach the conclusion. Their relationship and, at least Catra's, lingering feelings are touched on repeatedly from different angles throughout the series
to the point where the endgame is gratifying. It's not often I find myself actively invested in subplots like that, unless the show has little else to offer, so it was nice to root for that here.

I actually watched this with the same person who I watch RWBY with SDBurton and I can't believe how much better She-Ra has a grasp of its characters and narrative by Season 4 and Season 5. We had a good time watching it and my constant nagging probably decreased as the show went on. I started the series blowing off She-Ra as a bad, corny show (and it certainly does embrace that among other negatives in earlier seasons), but it really won out in the end. I'm happy for those that were huge fans from the start and am leaving glad that I watched it.

I'll say I do wish there was an epilogue/aftermatch chapter. I feel the characters had experienced enough to justify it, but I suppose that's a bit greedy. Good work, She-Ra team.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I legit choked on my food when I saw that Bow's space suit still has an exposed belly.
Absolutely killed me, nearly literally

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I didn't enjoy this season as much as the other ones. Evil Catra was the best thing ever, and it was a joy following her mental breakdown. There was none of that here. She deserved a happy ending though.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Was a great season and I am sad to see those characters go.
Awesome show though

edit: One of my absolute favorite scenes in the last episode was just incredibly "kino" and I wonder if anyone else was amazed they pulled that off?
169fD06.png

Also can I just say that one of my favorite characters in the show was Shadow Weaver and I just love her entire arc across the show?

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Shadow Weaver's ending. By doing just one selfless thing to help the two people she had hurt the most, she ultimately died a happier and more worthwhile person than she lived... Yet even then she can't resist a smug "You're welcome."

And that last look at her scarred face, finally content and unashamed, was golden.

This is quite possibly my favorite thing about their ending: they do not change, not really.

More than Catra, her one good thing is just that: one good decision in a sea of very poor ones. Had she survived, she makes it clear she would have continued being a dick.

I love it.