• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
You're implying that a faithful and stricter adaptation is the route that a corporation like Disney would take.
This was pitched at DIsney?

Hmm, the LGBTQ elements are still integral to a multitude of the characters though. Censoring them would pretty much invalidate their characterization, which is something I don't see Noelle doing with characters that are, above all things, her babies.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This was pitched at DIsney?

Hmm, the LGBTQ elements are still integral to a multitude of the characters though. Censoring them would pretty much invalidate their characterization, which is something I don't see Noelle doing with characters that are, above all things, her babies.
I don't know where they are pitching it. I thought Disney still had the rights despite cancelling the live action adaptation.

Personally I see Noelle as the overly compromising type because of She-Ra, but she isn't the same person she was back in 2016. Also Lumberjanes would likely be aimed at a different demographic.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know where they are pitching it. I thought Disney still had the rights despite cancelling the live action adaptation.

Personally I see Noelle as the overly compromising type because of She-Ra, but she isn't the same person she was back in 2016. Also Lumberjanes would likely be aimed at a different demographic.

What do you mean by this

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
So the Original Soundtrack was released last Friday and I didn't find out until yesterday.

Available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music and YouTube.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the show now, after airing it in PonyEra's stream. It's pretty fun, and I enjoyed watching it. The characters could be frustratingly dumb at times, though, and Catra has some intense plot armor. I also felt they could have done more to integrate the other princesses into the story more, rather than only showcasing them during one-off episodes.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
So, how much fan rage do y'all expect after nothing comes of Catra and Adora ship-wise?

I think it might be prudent to stay away from most She-Ra forums for a bit.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It'd take some masterclass writing just to repair the gigantic schism in that relationship at this point, let alone have it come out the other side as a healthy romance.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
It'd take some masterclass writing just to repair the gigantic schism in that relationship at this point, let alone have it come out the other side as a healthy romance.
This is how I feel. Even based on flashbacks, it's clear their relationship was unstable given Catra's insecurities.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
So, how much fan rage do y'all expect after nothing comes of Catra and Adora ship-wise?

You mean you're not excited for people to be calling Noelle Stevenson, a married lesbian, a queerbaiter because Catra and Adora don't kiss at the end???

/s because it's already happened and also I know it's gonna happen again.. maybe i should stay off twitter this weekend?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Don't worry, everyone will love the scene in the epilogue where they show Bow and Catras kids
source.gif

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting disappointment tomorrow, so setting my expectations rather low. It's not even just the queer elements I'm worried about, there's a lot that needs to be accomplished within 13 episodes. Thus far, the team hasn't had the best batting average in terms of economical storytelling.

I don't even ship Catra and Adora at this point but I want some bold and explicit queer rep by the end. The fact that something like Netossa and Spinnerella being a couple, let alone married per the Word of God, isn't explicit indicates to me there is a limit to what they can do. It's not that the queer elements are below textual, they are just obfuscated to a degree.

It's 2020 and after the entirety of Steven Universe, Adventure Time's finale, and such I want better. Progress is being made but there is still so much left to do.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting disappointment tomorrow, so setting my expectations rather low. It's not even just the queer elements I'm worried about, there's a lot that needs to be accomplished within 13 episodes. Thus far, the team hasn't had the best batting average in terms of economical storytelling.

I don't even ship Catra and Adora at this point but I want some bold and explicit queer rep by the end. The fact that something like Netossa and Spinnerella being a couple, let alone married per the Word of God, isn't explicit indicates to me there is a limit to what they can do. It's not that the queer elements are below textual, they are just obfuscated to a degree.

It's 2020 and after the entirety of Steven Universe, Adventure Time's finale, and such I want better. Progress is being made but there is still so much left to do.
A few early reviews I glimpsed at showed praise for the finale but who knows really how good it'll be.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
MASSIVE SEASON 5 SPOILERS:

This is going to rustle a few jimmies.

1589528455676.png

I have no issue with LGBT Relationships at all but considering everything Catra did to Adora including physical and emotional abuse. To have this pairing happen is just no..i'm sorry

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god no, not again not so soon after
Rise of Skywalker

Please don't be a trend...

Having finished watching Season 5 for myself...

I really dislike seeing anyone compare the endgame of Catradora to Reylo in TROS. All things considered, I feel like the season did a generally good job with Catra's redemption arc and moving her away to a point to where she isn't a toxic relationship to Adora. Especially opposed to Ben Solo, who has literally no dialogue after he tosses away his lightsaber at the end of Act 2 of TROS and went through a rather flimsy redemption arc.

Mind you, I wouldn't say Catra's redemption is perfect (though certainly not poorly done imo), and I get some folks being frustrated with this result... but overall I think the show handled these points well.

EDIT: Oh and another thing that I think is worth celebrating here...

Say whatever you will about Catradora as a ship, but I applaud Noelle Stevenson for making a cartoon show that not only heavily features numerous queer characters like say Steven Universe, but also having its main protagonist be a lesbian (I suppose Adora could be bi, but it doesn't seem very likely) and have her relationship with her love interest be at the very heart of the main story.

Take a minute to reflect on the big examples of representation that's been present in modern animated family shows. Korra was bi, but her romance with Asami was hardly a prominent plot point in Legend of Korra. Princess Bubblegum and Marceline had their ongoing arc, but they weren't the main protagonist of Adventure Time. So on and so forth. Noelle did something incredible with Adora and Catra, which deserves recognition.

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, they actually did it.

They went HARD in the direction opposite to the one I thought they would.

This is still better than the other option, but ALL the ruffled jimmies.

I respect the ovaries it took to say:
'fuck it, I am giving my lesbian cat girl a happy ending.'

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I think we are still in a bit of a holding pattern until we get major male queer relationships.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to look at the spoilers but I'll just watch it myself.
Honestly I think we are still in a bit of a holding pattern until we get major male queer relationships.
This is a good point. I feel bad for queer men looking for significant rep in western animation, especially after the Voltron fuckery.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Haven´t watch The Hollow yet, but Kipo s1 has one of the main characters being openly gay. Let´s see how the rest of the show is going to use him

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
I would say, that compared to all the recent animated shows to end the last few years, being adventure time, Steven universe, star vs evil, it probably did a better job of nailing the landing.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to look at the spoilers but I'll just watch it myself.

This is a good point. I feel bad for queer men looking for significant rep in western animation, especially after the Voltron fuckery.

Its not just western animation. It is global media in general.

I would hazard to say at least 7/10 major queer romances in all of TV and movies includes at least one cis woman.

I would say, that compared to all the recent animated shows to end the last few years, being adventure time, Steven universe, star vs evil, it probably did a better job of nailing the landing.

I feel that most of them had fine endings except for SVtFoE. That show pretty much had a stroke near the end.

Adventure Time and Steven Universe at least were thematically consistent.