• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which cover do you like more?

• English Cover

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • Japanese Cover

Votes: 443 67.7%
  • Their both good

Votes: 84 12.8%
  • Thor: Dark World

Votes: 39 6.0%

• Total voters

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Both pale to the Japanese Ms. Marvel cover.
ms-marvel-japanese-cover-1022713.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't know much about She-Hulk but the Japanese one has that 'ditzy woman in the office' vibe about it that was common in comedies at one point. English one is beyond plain but at least comes off like she could bust a cinder block open with a flick. The Japanese one is easily the more visually appealing of the two though, love the background colours and shapes and the translucent text.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese one is way better and fits the run

I would have made her bigger but otherwise perfect

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
They both look like incredibly generic things I wouldn't want to read but I've always been a sucker for that style of painting in the English cover.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Western cover isn't bad but it's a very generic superhero comic cover that's been done a thousand times before. Even for Western She Hulk covers it's nothing all that unique or interesting, just a bland action pose.

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
You must know some real talented 3 years old then

This post is proof that TortoiseTesticleOil does not in fact know any 3 year olds.

yeah, in fact I was exaggerating to prove my point that the english one seems to be better drawn and colorized. It seems more real, which make it seem, in this case, better looking, for me. And, in this case, I seem to be valuing more this superficial impression than the actual framing of the character.
If the japanase is 3 year old than the english is a 4 year old, if that makes it any better. Even though I'm around 50 and I draw pretty well, I think there are younger people that draw better than me, so age doesn't really equate to better. example, my rendition of she-hulk:

She-hulk.jpg

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
The Japanese art has a more interesting composition, but the western one is of better quality, imo (i.e. either more effort or more talent put into it).

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Err what's the actual art style of the comic? I think the cover should reflect that...

OP
OP
purplemonkey111
Mar 7, 2020
USA
the thing I"m just glad is that Marvel seem to be commisioning real Japanese artists to do arts now instead of hiring "Akira Yoshida" >_>

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On their own merits, I like the Japanese one a lot better. But I think that's one of the weaker She-Hulk covers from that era - like, the "Supreme Court" one is super iconic for a reason.

dM4gxec.png

Frankly though, I think comic books would be better served with actual interior artists on the cover, or at least artists that tend to match the overall look and feel. And frankly, neither really hits the right mark for Slott's run on She-Hulk, with Juan Bobillo as the regular artist.

B4iKyP6.png

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that Japanese cover is great. Very "manga cover art" in a way that doesn't really roll in American comics but the whole vibe's great.

The English one...it's not that the art's bad or anything but I don't like it as a cover. That's the kind of art I want on poster paper to get signed at a convention. It's meh as a cover.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the American version. In the Japanese cover she just looks like a green woman, and it has rom-com vibes of "Can she manage her career and personal life ACK!"that feel…blah to me.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I like both but OP maybe mention that Mike Mayhew did the other cover, and that's also not the actual cover. That's the TPB cover.

The actual first issue cover was this:
51D5QMWKzyL._AC_SY780_.jpg

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The wording of the title tripped me up. I got really excited imagining a take on Single White Female but with She-Hulk, where she's living with another shapeshifting comic character who gets increasingly creepy and sinister as she resembles her further.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The English cover is good but the Japanese one got a leg up over it because it showcased the actual comic content better. There is not much need for generic action poses - regardless how awesomely drawn they are - when the book leans more heavily on comedy and weird-ass "slice of life" rather than superheroics.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The English cover isn't bad or anything but the Japanese cover just has so much more personality to it.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The Japanese one is so good ahhh

Like the American one is great too but that Japanese one is just something else!

OP
OP
purplemonkey111
Mar 7, 2020
USA
I like both but OP maybe mention that Mike Mayhew did the other cover, and that's also not the actual cover. That's the TPB cover.

The actual first issue cover was this:
51D5QMWKzyL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I will update the OP, but like I said earlier, that cover is what I found on Marvel's website when I searched the series. My main exposure to marvel is from the MCU though...

May 29, 2018
yeah, in fact I was exaggerating to prove my point that the english one seems to be better drawn and colorized. It seems more real, which make it seem, in this case, better looking, for me. And, in this case, I seem to be valuing more this superficial impression than the actual framing of the character.
If the japanase is 3 year old than the english is a 4 year old, if that makes it any better. Even though I'm around 50 and I draw pretty well, I think there are younger people that draw better than me, so age doesn't really equate to better. example, my rendition of she-hulk:

She-hulk.jpg
can this be added to the poll?