• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that the Hulk CG in this looks better than the She Hulk CG in this

General reminder of how much CGI can change between initial trailer and full release:
RBTCZ8viz8eQW2-Ky3PKbgblJhbhTLwu_0ygqr6hCaQ.jpg
Those are more post effects than actual CG, but yeah

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's because he does.

Smart Hulk's CG assets were created for Endgame using the Endgame budget. It isn't being recreated from scratch for this show like She-Hulk is.

And even on top of that, Hulk doesn't move as well in this as he did in Endgame because the animation budgets aren't comparable.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care about the CGI by this point, I just want a well written show, with a non-sucky antagonist, that nails the landing.

This. Really tired of this kind of discourse. It has a few flaws, but oh well, if the character is there and it's fun... that's all that really matters. It's not like it's some 90s CGI.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's because he does.

Smart Hulk's CG assets were created for Endgame using the Endgame budget. It isn't being recreated from scratch for this show like She-Hulk is.

Having good assets is not a way to cut costs and work. There's still tons of stuff you need to do to blend shit. She-Hulk doesn't look worse because they don't have a good model, it's everything else around blending it in, making it animate properly etc.

If assets were all that's needed, Black Panther would've looked so much better since they already had the stuff from Civil War.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
impossible task to make her look good, for 2 reasons: long hair and her face looks almost identical to her normal form. ruffalo hulk looks deformed and cartoony but her? super realistic face on a cg body will always look off, no matter the budget.

that being said, i think 70% of the shots look really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure why people are so down on the CG. Looks pretty good for a big green CG lady in a TV show.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
General reminder of how much CGI can change between initial trailer and full release:
RBTCZ8viz8eQW2-Ky3PKbgblJhbhTLwu_0ygqr6hCaQ.jpg
That's true, but the Marvel Disney Plus TV shows have a history of very, very spotty CGI in the final product. Moon Knight being the most recent example.

If they are stupid with the budget, then the CGI for She-Hulk is going to get very janky in the last episode.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
YES! YES! YES! NO! NO!

My favorite part of the trailer. Looks like it'll be silly, along the lines of Hawkeye.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Having good assets is not a way to cut costs and work. There's still tons of stuff you need to do to blend shit. She-Hulk doesn't look worse because they don't have a good model, it's everything else around blending it in, making it animate properly etc.

If assets were all that's needed, Black Panther would've looked so much better since they already had the stuff from Civil War.

I didn't say it was the reason. But it is part of the reason.

Black Panther also isn't a great example as that is a costume that also has a CG model at times, so it stands out more when we see a CG model. Hulk is fully CG in every single scene.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That's true, but the Marvel Disney Plus TV shows have a history of very, very spotty CGI in the final product. Moon Knight being the most recent example.

If they are stupid with the budget, then the CGI for She-Hulk is going to get very janky in the last episode.

Has very little to do with budget and everything to do with how crunched VFX houses are right now because the industry has turned into race to the bottom level of pricing and paying their artists while crunching them at the same time by taking on as many possible projects at once.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
impossible task to make her look good, for 2 reasons: long hair and her face looks almost identical to her normal form. ruffalo hulk looks deformed and cartoony but her? super realistic face on a cg body will always look off, no matter the budget.

Van Helsing had make-up faces on CG bodies in 2004, and IMO they still hold up:
youtu.be

Van Helsing | Fighting Dracula's Brides in 4K HDR

When Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) arrives in Transylvania, he immediately teams up with Anna Valerious to hunt Dracula's brides.Buy/Rent Van Helsing!Amazon: ht...

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it looked just fine, but I have very low standards for TV CGI. The ending had me laugh.

They know what people want.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Guessing it's still being finished.
You would think by now that people would learn not to judge CGI in trailers that are released months before the final product is released. There is a 0% chance the CGI is finished for this show and that this trailer represents a completed product.

(That said, it's a TV show rather than a movie budget and I don't suspect She-Hulk is a property that's getting allocated high-end resources, so I wouldn't set my final expectations at movie-level CGI.)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can I suggest an OT title?

Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Ace Attorney |OT|

Also, I'm glad they changed the logo.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Van Helsing had make-up faces on CG bodies in 2004, and IMO they still hold up:
youtu.be

Van Helsing | Fighting Dracula's Brides in 4K HDR

When Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) arrives in Transylvania, he immediately teams up with Anna Valerious to hunt Dracula's brides.Buy/Rent Van Helsing!Amazon: ht...
van helsing had a budget of 160 million and the brides are not really comparable with she hulk. you cant put the actress in make up and put her head onto a cg body.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The CGI is letting this down a little bit. Long hair and gentle expressions clearly isn't a strength.

I wonder what the results would have been if they composited a painted face on a CG body, like a reverse Steve Rogers in Captain America 1.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will say, this CGI is an excellent argument for why they changed Ms. Marvel's powers.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Okay, an MvC4 matchup just got interesting.

CGI is kinda underbaked I think. Looks fun tho.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The CG definitely looks a bit shaky at times but I think part of that is the fact that it's a fully CG humanoid character. It isn't Hulk or Thanos, who have much more unnatural proportions. She-Hulk still looks very human and that makes it stand out more.

I feel for people working on CG in film and television. I remember someone who does posting here on Era once about how overly harsh some of the criticism they receive is, when they're really doing the best they can in many cases.