• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
That value is tied to hours of content instead of, like, how good that content is...I can't. OMG.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are a lot of different sized/length games to choose from now.

Not all games need to be made short/linear just because some people don't have time to play them.

It's kinda like the same situation where someone say, "I want to play a souls game but I think there needs to be difficulty settings."

More often than not they are told that maybe the Souls games aren't for them and they should choose one of the many other games that does give them that option.

I enjoy playing massive open world games. The last two AC have been my favorites.
Maybe they just aren't for people that want to finish a game in a couple days or a week.

Agreed. As long as your enjoying your self why not.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have AAA open world games that you could mainline and complete in 15 hours or spend 100 hours in.

I'd rather have resources be spent on additional gameplay outcomes than cut scenes.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Every game does NOT need to be BIGGER and longer to enjoy. Its why we saw insurgence of open world games this generation, and less of short 8-15 hour stories.

Gamers though want to be given checklists in open environments to feel something when they play games these days. Sadly I can't see this trend going away anytime soon.

So, what do you want to say? Companies shouldn't make games that customers want?

And just making a "bloated game" shorter doesn't mean that the developer could magically release a compact, enticing product without the bloat.

Oct 25, 2017
I would, too. Most content in open world games these days are not really good, tbh. I miss smaller, more focused and a lot of time, better games.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would happily take a 10--15 hour game with lots of replay value over a 20-40 hour game with zero reason to play it again.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
"i'll buy fifteen hours but not at full price!!!"

you children

all right how bout $60 for 20 hours

how bout $90 for 50 hours

how bout $150 for a clean hundred

something's gotta give

people demand perfection in games and are angry when they don't get it - anyone remember when they removed a puddle from spider man and the whole world lost their goddamn minds - which makes creating more content even more expensive

he's right, this isn't fucking sustainable

ps length is not comparable to quality stop STOP you're hurting yourself if you believe that

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I would happily take a 10--15 hour game with lots of replay value over a 20-40 hour game with zero reason to play it again.
That depends a bit on what you consider playing again. If we think about a sandbox like just cause or Far Cry 4, the open world bases are already kind of "playing again" the basic loop, so it's kinda natural that you wouldn't want to replay that after it's done.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Your first mistake was assuming that long games are bad.
I'm not doing that. Instead, it's that $/hr should not be the metric we use to judge games. A bad 5 hour game that costs $10, or "$2/hr," is as bad as a bad 30 hour game that costs $60, also $2/hr. If you have a 5 hour game that is just 5 incredible hours-- like so many games are, of course-- then the idea that you won't pay full price for it because it's not 60 hours long can only be creatively limiting to designers.

Long games aren't necessarily bad but short games aren't necessarily "bad value." I do not buy entertainment by the hour.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Unnecessary bloat is a plague that should be erradicated, it even tarnished franchises that were always almost perfectly paced like Mario. Odyssey could have less than half the moons and it would be a far better game if it did, it didn't need 880 forgettable objectives in a checklist to justify the price tag.
You're only supposed to get all the moons if you're a freak though. That had less to do with the price and more to do with facilitating a smooth campaign/postgame

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Interesting responses here; I love shorter games and generally get way more out of them than longer ones. I can play through multiple times and usually guarantee I'll finish eventually if I start, improving every time, trying different set ups, difficulties, etc. 10 hours to get the story or whatever, then another 70 over time just playing my favorite bits, getting better and faster, and really enjoying the game how I wish.

Example: MGSV Ground Zeroes; 30 minute main game, about an hour or 2 of additional missions. But from release to now, I've gotten 60+ hours out of it because I know if I start it, I'll finish it, and can try tons if approaches to have fun with.

If a game is 30+ hours, I'm going to take the path of least resistance every time, because I just don't have time to putz around with extra stuff in a game that long. It's like paying for the whole buffet and only being able to enjoy 10% of it before the rest gets cold, dusty, and unappetizing.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
So many AAA just don't have the mechanical depth to be stretched over 12+ hours.

I prefer shorter, replayable games. You've often mastered the mechanics by the second playthrough, so it's a lot more enjoyable and 'intended'. I hope I'm not the only one who'll often repeat a gameplay segment if they did something poorly or out of character. Bonus points if you can use late game unlocks from the beginning, or better yet, all new content.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
There was a time when devs started adding MP to every single player game because people were complaining about length of games.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I agree. I don't see how some people still clamor for 40+ hour games. I don't think I can do it anymore. Dragon Quest and Persona 5 Royal, while both extremely appealing, have been sitting sealed on my shelf since I bought them. It's just not something I can do anymore.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Honestly, agreed. If a game is more than 20 hours, I really think it needs to justify it's time. There are some great 20+ hour long games, but bloat and padding a more serious than ever. Ubisoft is a huge perpetrator of that right now.

I'm playing AC Origins right now, and I keep running into the padding wall between every major assassination target. People! You got me interested in the plot! I want to keep moving forward with it! Let me! I don't want to go grind out 3-4 levels so I don't get wasted by the first guard I encounter.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I agree. I don't see how some people still clamor for 40+ hour games. I don't think I can do it anymore. Dragon Quest and Persona 5 Royal, while both extremely appealing, have been sitting sealed on my shelf since I bought them. It's just not something I can do anymore.

I finished P5R by the end of May. Didn't feel long, either.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter how long a game is as long as the value proposition is there IMO. To be clear, that's different for everyone, and that's okay! Or it should be.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ofc execution matters. But I think it's well agreed upon that wide linear is indeed the future. Thing is that, there wasn't really a time where anything but open world games were 12-15 hr affairs. Linear games used to be 6-8 hrs, rarely reaching the 10 hr mark, with tiles like the original TLOU being hefty outliers at 12 hrs. Meanwhile open world games were usually 12 for main campaign, 20 for 100%. We didn't necessarily see the death of linear games entirely, they just evolved with trend of AAA games in general being longer instead of fire and forget in a weekend tier affairs. Especially as more and more devs make AAA rpgs.
I agree

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018

Persona kinda sorta gets away with it because its broken up into easily digestible story arcs that are ~10 hours or so in length. But yeah, sometimes the thought of starting one of these beasts is so daunting it removes any desire to actually start it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
RE2 was about 15 hours to play both campaigns.
RE2's a perfect example of short games worth the full price. Really the key here is replay value. You can give me the best damn story ever but I ain't tossing 90$CAD if you don't give me a reason to play a second time.

Of course though, what people consider replay value is subjective.

Oct 29, 2017
I've really enjoyed the lengthier narrative games from Sony's exclusives. I just think pacing has to be good regardless of length. I loved all the RE games this gen even if 2 and 3 felt really short

Oct 28, 2017
This needs to happen. I think dev time would be considerably shorter too if they weren't forced to make every game open world and add a million dull boring side quests to artificially extend the game time.

Make more super polished, linear based games like the last of us, devil May cry 5, re2, re3.

Games come out quicker, you can beat them quicker and move on to the next game quicker too.

It's win win.

Azzawon

Oct 25, 2017
Scunthorpe, UK
I'm not paying £59.99 for a game that will last me less than 20 hours. Prices in the UK/EU are absurd.

If prices come down, I would completely agree with his statement. Far too many AAA games feel like a slog, so I tend to just not bother with them.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd welcome a return to the 8-10 hour AAA game myself. Shorter campaigns are better.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
14 hrs into TLOU2 and not even halfway done. Wide linear is the future. 👏
Hmm, if that's the case I'll likely never play through it.

I'm not paying £59.99 for a game that will last me less than 20 hours. Prices in the UK/EU are absurd.

If prices come down, I would completely agree with his statement. Far too many AAA games feel like a slog, so I tend to just not bother with them.
This feels like you are arguing against both sides. You don't want games less than 20 hours, but also think most AAA are a slog to play.

The reason I haven't played many of the Sony's critically acclaimed games this gen (despite owning most of them) is that I know I won't be able to stick through them to completion so I'd rather spend less time playing other games. HZD was an exception, but even that took me a well over a year to get through.

Last edited:

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People seriously bringing up TLoU2? I don't want this game to end. I'm deliberately spacing out my time with it so I don't race through it too fast.

Games are like essays - they can be everything from short to long, and it only matters if it's meaningful. Not every game is "bloated" to every player, even at 20+ hours.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I honestly struggle to think of a game I've played recently that was "bloated" with filler, except for AC Odyssey, and even there the filler is completely optional.
Out of the 30+ hour games I've played recently, like Disco Elysium, Rdr2, Tlou2, Divinity OS2, Prey, Outer Worlds... nothing felt bloated. Or maybe I can't tell filler anymore, idk.
Outer worlds is quite the opposite of bloated lol. I'm speaking more of Ubisoft games and Doom Eternal.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I am very not surprised that people on this forum show what amounts to complete disdain for devs being able to make the games they'd want to make and be paid correctly for it instead of just feeding the masses.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm okay with lengthy games as long as there's no filler. AC Odyssey was a prime example of FILLER and we need less of that

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I take the intent of the comment not as being prescriptive about how long games should be ("every game should be 12–15 hours") but as meaning that publishers and devs should be more willing to challenge (and hopefully reset) customers' expectations of value as they relate to game length/content for the price, and sell them on quality over quantity, if only out of business necessity. So all the comments in this thread to the effect of "sure, if the game is cheaper" are exactly the obstacle to that.

Some games work better short and focused (e.g. linear story-based action/adventure), some benefit from a large scope or a more relaxed pace, but I certainly see more games that I think would benefit from some editing than I do any that feel too short.

(Even if you want to be super reductive and look at your entertainment in terms of $ per hour, $60 for ~12 hours is hardly out of line. It's similar to paying $10–15 to see a 2-hour new-release movie. (I get that games and movies don't have the same relative pricing everywhere.) And I'll certainly pay much more per hour for a concert, or sporting event, or fancy meal. If that's too expensive for me, either because of what I can afford, or my enthusiasm for the specific game, I have the same option as with a movie—wait for it to be discounted over time.)

Last edited:

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
He's right, a tighter experience with shorter length is infinitley better than padding something out with brain dead Ubisoft checklists or stretching the narrative too thin to double the run time. Acting like the length of the game should be tied to the price is poison for the creativity and artistic integrity of this industry.

Oct 25, 2017
There's something really nice about starting a new game and finishing it the same weekend, having a fantastic experience with it.

It really is the sweet spot for a story driven campaign, in my opinion.

I do really enjoy replaying games, though, so I can't relate to people worried about paying $60 for 12 hours worth of enjoyment. Uncharted 4 lasted me 20 hours, I don't ever want to play it again. I've played Uncharted 2 for far, FAR more than 20 hours, however, across multiple playthroughs.

Pacing is more important than amount of content.

Though I'd also argue that you can always just wait for price drops, you don't have to pay full price for anything.