• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
if this is the case, should we not focus on this? make people aware of the advantages instead of saying that it should be supported, for example, for me it does not make any sense, i just dont have the time for mp games or any reason to go online to hear from 12 year olds how they had sex with my mother, but for those who do enjoy it and are missing out simply because not knowing what the advantages are we could maybe create a topic where we explain it? i dont know, anything that could help all of you who are supporting this?

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I like Shawn Layden, but this was very boneheaded of him.

He could have just given a PR-like "we're exploring crossplay opportunities". Instead he just straight up lies and places blame on developers.

Hopefully he makes things right.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I agree, instead of discussing the matter we should make a topic telling people why being able to play with their friends, and online games being able to support a healthy online player population for longer, are good things.

On that note, we should also make one explaining why dousing your consoles with gasoline and setting them on fire is a bad thing.
here is the thing, most people and their friends own the same console. there is usually a console dominance in a group of friends. you can act like this and just keep saying that you want crossplay for the sake of it, and i have a feeling that this is actually what you are saying, because your only reason is that you want to play with friends, but what are the advantages for people who's friends all play on the same console? instead of making fun of me, maybe try to understand the fact that honestly nobody out there cares about this, so if you cant convince them why this is important, then dont act surprised if things dont change. just screaming that you want something without being able to convince others why its good makes no sense, and as you know, most people dont care about something unless it gives them an advantage.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Consistent history of system warring
I want Sony to enable cross play just so it can stop being used as a console war talking point.
I want Sony to keep their stance on crossplay because that will produce further hilarious threads like this one in the future. Also, Sony are the market leader, and therefore they don't need to pay attention to such minor issues that have no real consequences to their business.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I want Sony to keep their stance on crossplay because that will produce further hilarious threads like this one in the future. Also, Sony are the market leader, and therefore they don't need to pay attention to such minor issues that have no real consequences to their business.
I'm sure Microsoft was thinking the same thing when they announced the XB1.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But we already knew it was bullshit before he eve said it because other devs had already come out and blamed Sony.

Not to mention Fortnite (Plus one other game?) "accidentally" having cross play enabled in the past prior to it being approved.

Yes, but he said "As ever, just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we've learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works.", giving the impression that these devs weren't exactly working with Sony. Somehow he was stupid enough to think no dev will call his bluff. People who believed him probably thought he can't be that stupid to throw devs under the bus while the same devs stay silent.

Fortnite and the other game were before Sony had officialy "supported" (lol) crossplay.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah the leader. Think about them bizz.

"For the players."

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here is the thing, most people and their friends own the same console. there is usually a console dominance in a group of friends. you can act like this and just keep saying that you want crossplay for the sake of it, and i have a feeling that this is actually what you are saying, because your only reason is that you want to play with friends, but what are the advantages for people who's friends all play on the same console? instead of making fun of me, maybe try to understand the fact that honestly nobody out there cares about this, so if you cant convince them why this is important, then dont act surprised if things dont change. just screaming that you want something without being able to convince others why its good makes no sense, and as you know, most people dont care about something unless it gives them an advantage.

Several million of people use crossplay daily.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no not wow, he is right. i did not buy my ps4 for the multiplayer games, i got my pc for that. i litterally dont give 2 cents about crossplay, does this mean that i think it should not be supported? no, ofcourse i do think they should support it since there is a demand, but dont go wow on people for having another opinion then you do. nobody I know plays crossplatform or cares about it except people here on resetera, and even here its a small bunch.

're the bolded, do most people you know play on PS4?

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile

you keep saying that "nobody cares out there". well i know many people "out there" that care about crossplay. my evidence is anecdotally and so is yours.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
thank you for this. this helps :)

And these are very active games. Just imagine the difference for games with low online population.

(This is before we talk about the strange situation where two friends can't play together while they do play the same game. Imagine buying your son/daughter Minecraft, but he/she won't be able to play with his/her friends because they play on a PS4 or Xbox.)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Got any proof that no one cares about cross play?

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main problem is people were angrier/louder about it before Fortnite got greenlit, along with Rocket League, they let up on the gas and Sony got lax about getting it done. So now they're just back in slack mode because the public isn't as loud about it at the moment.

This is the first really large thread I've seen about the subject for a while.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

This, my friends, is tribalism at its finest.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is really, really shining a light on the ugly corporate worship that is festering under the surface of even a supposedly progressive, anti-corporate, pro-dev, pro-indie forum like Resetera. It's pretty terrifying, frankly, and maybe thread-worthy on its own. :S

I see at least 3 bans here for crossing the line defending Sony

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's just not true at all and has never really been true. Me and my friends have always been fragmented. Some of us had Nintendo, some of us had Sega, some of us had PlayStation and some of us has Xbox, the game controller has a lot to do with that.

Some of us spend too much money and own everything and anything that can play a game. I have a switch, PC, pro and a X.

Because I got friends on all different platforms.
Last gen I did not enjoy picking up a COD on 360 and PS3 on launch day every year. But that's the way it is.

You can't have a discussion on crossplay if the biggest possible participant, stifles the talks. Sony is showing that they are not ready to move on with the evolution of gaming. If anything they are holding gamers back.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I want to give the benefit of the doubt that this is all due to miscommunication internally, which can happen, but there is no doubt this is a little bit embarrassing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perception and business speech is such an ass backwards thing. Everybody, including Sony's most hardcore fans are fully aware why Sony are doing this. It's not because they want to troll Microsoft or Nintendo. They aren't trying to destroy them, either. They aren't doing it to protect the children or other safety measures in general. It's clearly not down to the single developers when multiple games (Fortnite, Wargroove, Rocket League, SMITE, etc.) literally have everything ready for PS4 to be thrown into the mix but Sony is blocking it, whereas PC/Xbox One/Switch(/iOS/Android too in some cases) play together nicely. In fact, Sony allows crossplay on multiple games, as long as it's with PC only. They are also not doing is as an act of evil against their userbase, it's not in their interest thinking that way.

They are simply leveraging their installbase which is currently bigger than the other two consoles' combined. It sucks for the players but I understand why they do it. What annoys me is how they really think we're idiots. Placing the blame on the developers, claiming it's for the children's safety and other bullshit like that only makes them look worse to be honest. If they came out and said "PS4 is the best place to play as proven by the amount of customers that chose us, and we are not looking to share our playerbase with our rivals, rendering their products more appetizing in the process"... I'd get it, it's in their rights to do so. The fact they think that people believe this is done for any other reason is the insulting part, honestly. But I guess it's how PR works.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Might that be the reason that you don't know anyone who uses crossplay, cause they can't anyway?
yes like i said, the problem here is me and my friends, its just not common thing for us, so we have a hard time understanding it, that's why I asked if we could create a place that shows the advantages and why it helps. Once again, i fully support cross play as I've said before, but its hard for me to be upset about it because i dont use it, so my point was that there are a lot of people like myself, and if we can get them on board and show them why it's important, things would go faster for all of you who are waiting for it. I am just trying to think with you guys.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
The developers care about it, frankly that's all that matters.

Let developers make the features they want in their damn game for goodness sake.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing new to say regarding the matter that I didn't say yesterday already, but I will throw my hat in the ring for Equanimity. Dude is a good poster who tries to have discussions in good faith and doesn't resort to console warring nonsense. Quit the dogpile on him.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
no not wow, he is right. i did not buy my ps4 for the multiplayer games, i got my pc for that. i litterally dont give 2 cents about crossplay, does this mean that i think it should not be supported? no, ofcourse i do think they should support it since there is a demand, but dont go wow on people for having another opinion then you do. nobody I know plays crossplatform or cares about it except people here on resetera, and even here its a small bunch.

Yeah, personally I hate crossplay because having less online players allows me to cook while I wait for a matchup.

If Crossplay exists, then I will have no time to cook between matches and I will have to resort to ordering junk food, thus slowly killing myself.

In conclusion: Crossplay is LITERALLY killing me. Thanks Sony for saving my life! Redfirm knows what's up!

Feb 10, 2018
I bet this issue is causing some sleepless nights and heated discussions at PlayStation HQ.

I Bet some will be all for cross play but maybe some of the Japanese old guard would rather be dead then let ms+Nintendo share there player base.
But the pro cross play Sony people will be crying, saying how it's giving them shit PR.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
People definitely care about crossplay when their matchmaking times get to be too long. Developers with smaller playerbases definitely care about crossplay, for this same reason. Indies that Sony says fuck you to, because "indies are less relevant" to them now (As Jim Ryan eloquently put it). They use them at launch to sell their console when first party line up isn't there yet and then abandon them. Good going. Big ones benefit too of course, but smaller multiplayer games need it the most. Crossplay benefits players and developers both. Even when the game is on platform like PC and PS4, as most games don't have active playerbase of millions on those platforms either. You've never heard anyone complaining of queue times in MP games? Crossplay directly benefits that. Bigger pool of players also allows fairer matchmaking, so people with wildly different skill levels aren't forced to play together. It gives longevity to online games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You're free to believe what you want, but don't accuse me of lying. Especially if we're in an enthusiast forum where it's very likely that players go with the most powerful available device.

Good. Grief.

I seriously doubt this. I would bet more people on here are buying/playing Switch and PS4/PS4 Pro than Xbox One X. Not sure about the split for console /PC, but I would say more play console primarily.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think we need to learn how many more people got denied by the same services Shawn is talking about.

I'm sure some won't speak up due to fear of what Sony can do to their little studio for making ripples.

Sony tried to control the narrative by saying there was lack of interest. That was a lie.

No small dev with a multiplayer component in their game would really be against this. Why would they want to do something that can make their game survive longer? If a million people play it on Ps4, and a million people play it on Xbox and 500,000 play it on Switch. Over time that player count could drop to only a million across the board.

Matchmaking becomes tougher and so people stop playing altogether. Crossplay could keep communities healthy. The only people against healthy communities are people with agendas in the debate.

If it needs to be a "beta" on PSN....Why? Is PSN really not capable of handling it when a $20 a year no thrills Nintendo online service could. It's bullshit there is no beta.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I care. I play crossplay on Fortnite now pretty often thanks to the pressure put on Sony. I have a friend on PC and another on Xbox. I'm on my PS4. And we can all play together.

Apex Legends will hopefully be next. It's trios only right now and none of us really want to have to randomly solo in just because we're all on different platforms.

So yeah, people do care. That's an actual fact.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends will hopefully be next. It's trios only right now and none of us really want to randomly solo in just because we're all on different platforms.
apex probably has a good chance of being granted the permission from sony if they ever ask them
it's the smaller, less significant games (the ones that will benefit the most from cross play) who are getting fucked over by sony's policies

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was in college during the PS2/GCN/XBOX era. Literally every guy in our dorm had both a Gamecube (for Smash Bros) and an Xbox (for Halo) and no PS2. I don't know that I've ever seen a PS2 in real life, ever. It blew my mind when I started following gaming news a few years later and learned that the PS2 was the leading console that gen and by a very comfortable margin.

It took a while to realize that maybe I was in a narrow (but itself still large) demographic (male U.S. college aged dorm kid who is playing mostly multiplayer games) that was not representative of the whole market, and that applying my anecdotal views to everyone was not the most accurate thing.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo always have shitty launches when they get too big for their boots with a successful console and become ignorant. Usually it takes a shitty console launch for them to learn from their mistakes. MS did it with the X1 after the success of the 360 and Nintendo launched the Wii U after the success of the Wii.

Nintendo has learned some of its lessons and is reaping the fruit. Microsoft seems to be learning from its mistakes and is gearing up for next gen. Sony seem overconfident after the success of the PS4.

So it's a maybe. There's a 50/50 chance of success imo.
They took advantage of poor decisions and poor messaging for an advantage. After they had the comfy lead they suddenly gave no shits
Several million of people use crossplay daily.
you keep saying that "nobody cares out there". well i know many people "out there" that care about crossplay. my evidence is anecdotally and so is yours.
And these are very active games. Just imagine the difference for games with low online population.

(This is before we talk about the strange situation where two friends can't play together while they do play the same game. Imagine buying your son/daughter Minecraft, but he/she won't be able to play with his/her friends because they play on a PS4 or Xbox.)
Im gonna need receipts chief.
Got any proof that no one cares about cross play?
This, my friends, is tribalism at its finest.
That's just not true at all and has never really been true. Me and my friends have always been fragmented. Some of us had Nintendo, some of us had Sega, some of us had PlayStation and some of us has Xbox, the game controller has a lot to do with that.

Some of us spend too much money and own everything and anything that can play a game. I have a switch, PC, pro and a X.

Because I got friends on all different platforms.
Last gen I did not enjoy picking up a COD on 360 and PS3 on launch day every year. But that's the way it is.

You can't have a discussion on crossplay if the biggest possible participant, stifles the talks. Sony is showing that they are not ready to move on with the evolution of gaming. If anything they are holding gamers back.
Yeah, personally I hate crossplay because having less online players allows me to cook while I wait for a matchup.

If Crossplay exists, then I will have no time to cook between matches and I will have to resort to ordering junk food, thus slowly killing myself.

In conclusion: Crossplay is LITERALLY killing me. Thanks Sony for saving my life! Redfirm knows what's up!
People definitely care about crossplay when their matchmaking times get to be too long. Developers with smaller playerbases definitely care about crossplay, for this same reason. Indies that Sony says fuck you to, because "indies are less relevant" to them now (As Jim Ryan eloquently put it). They use them at launch to sell their console when first party line up isn't there yet and then abandon them. Good going. Big ones benefit too of course, but smaller multiplayer games need it the most. Crossplay benefits players and developers both. Even when the game is on platform like PC and PS4, as most games don't have active playerbase of millions on those platforms either. You've never heard anyone complaining of queue times in MP games? Crossplay directly benefits that. Bigger pool of players also allows fairer matchmaking, so people with wildly different skill levels aren't forced to play together. It gives longevity to online games.
Well, I care. I play crossplay on Fortnite now pretty often thanks to the pressure put on Sony. I have a friend on PC and another on Xbox. I'm on my PS4. And we can all play together.

Apex Legends will hopefully be next. It's trios only right now and none of us really want to have to randomly solo in just because we're all on different platforms.

So yeah, people do care. That's an actual fact.
I was in college during the PS2/GCN/XBOX era. Literally every guy in our dorm had both a Gamecube (for Smash Bros) and an Xbox (for Halo) and no PS2. I don't know that I've ever seen a PS2 in real life, ever. It blew my mind when I started following gaming news a few years later and learned that the PS2 was the leading console that gen and by a very comfortable margin.

It took a while to realize that maybe I was in a narrow (but itself still large) demographic (male U.S. college aged dorm kid who is playing mostly multiplayer games) that was not representative of the whole market, and that applying my anecdotal views to everyone was not the most accurate thing.

Thank you all for the information and proving me wrong, like i said earlier, i live in the netherlands and most people here have a ps4. my friendgroup exists out of these people, i never thought about the advantages it has for indie devs and smaller online communities. Thanks for all the info and opinions. You rock! I now have a better idea why this must happen and even thought i do not play it, I do understand now where this is coming from.

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
yes like i said, the problem here is me and my friends, its just not common thing for us, so we have a hard time understanding it, that's why I asked if we could create a place that shows the advantages and why it helps. Once again, i fully support cross play as I've said before, but its hard for me to be upset about it because i dont use it, so my point was that there are a lot of people like myself, and if we can get them on board and show them why it's important, things would go faster for all of you who are waiting for it. I am just trying to think with you guys.

Ok, so here's the thing. I can totally understand if something has little meaning to you because it won't affect your gaming in anyway whatsoever. That's completely fine.

What I don't get though, is that if it won't affect you gaming either way why default to an opposing position? It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to envision how with tens of millions of consoles from other ecosystems out there, how a good chunk of those are owned by groups of friends with different platforms.

It's not even just a case of close friends and family either. Within communities for niche titles, platform borders can make it extremely difficult to play the games in any capacity at all. Stuff like this isn't at all uncommon:
34tac1u.png

(They're trying to play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown)

Now, obviously it's too late for a game that was released last gen, but this is something that will continue to happen to smaller games going forwards unless crossplay becomes something expected as standard.

EDIT: Just seen the wall of posts you replied to. I'm not looking to dogpile on top of these btw. Just thought I'd provide an illustrated example of lack of crossplay making things difficult for some people.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Ok, so here's the thing. I can totally understand if something has little meaning to you because it won't affect your gaming in anyway whatsoever. That's completely fine.

What I don't get though, is that if it won't affect you gaming either way why default to an opposing position? It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to envision how with tens of millions of consoles from other ecosystems out there, how a good chunk of those are owned by groups of friends with different platforms.

It's not even just a case of close friends and family either. Within communities for niche titles, platform borders can make it extremely difficult to play the games in any capacity at all. Stuff like this isn't at all uncommon:
34tac1u.png

(They're trying to play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown)

Now, obviously it's too late for a game that was released last gen, but this is something that will continue to happen to smaller games going forwards unless crossplay becomes something expected as standard.
Thank you, like i said, i never was against it and certainly did not oppose it, i just did not understand where it was coming from.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt this. I would bet more people on here are buying/playing Switch and PS4/PS4 Pro than Xbox One X. Not sure about the split for console /PC, but I would say more play console primarily.

Look, i don't care what system has most players on here, my point was that we're on an enthusiast forum, so it shouldn't be some sort of unbelievable thing that i have friends who're opting for powerful devices where i won't follow for whatever reasons. I have a group of 5 friends i've been playing together with since elementary school, and they went into the gen on PS4 and switched to XOne X. Two of them might even go for PC, if they manage to convice their SOs that it's ok for them to dish out good money for new hardware parts.

It's simply nothing but an anecdotal thing how crossplay would give the PS4 version a +1 sale. Since Anthem won't have crossplay at all in the beginning, there's also no need to further go on with the discussion about my post.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Thank you all for the information and proving me wrong, like i said earlier, i live in the netherlands and most people here have a ps4. my friendgroup exists out of these people, i never thought about the advantages it has for indie devs and smaller online communities. Thanks for all the info and opinions. You rock! I know have a better idea why this must happen and even thought i do not play it. I do understand now where this is coming from.
No problem! Sometimes we forget we all don't come from the same spot, that is equally my fault. You rock for being cool about it.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
regarding "benefits" of crossplay

For me personally, I don't use it and likely never will. However, I want to see it as a lot of consumers would benefit from it.

A personal story how I find it awesome, My sons get to play Squads on Fortnite together with two of there friends - they use two of our consoles, one of the friends has a Switch and the other a PS4.

Without cross play, this wouldn't get to happen.

#thinkofthechildrenSony