• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The comments in that GI article are unreal. Only a couple of them are calling it out for obvious spin, the rest are just accepting it and cheering Sony for being "open".

Edit: Went back, the comments are actually about 50/50.

Sire Yoshi

Oct 25, 2017
RestEra Sales threads
This kind of comment by Layden feels like an attempt to show that they are changing, hoping that people don't ditch their ecosystem for the next gen. Perhaps they feel threatened by something microsoft is doing, either way I'm glad they were called out with their lies and hopefully they can be better in the future

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Road to GDC is Laden with lies. Hopefully someone calls him on this at said event and makes him give a straight answer.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they said no because it is in beta. It's not open beta. I would say he is lying if it was officially live and out of beta. I mean, Sony certainly hasn't had an issue with crossplay with PC. That PR statement basically operates in the grey area because technically Sony has had crossplay enabled since PS2 and has more crossplay enabled games vs Xbox and Nintendo.

Are you being serious?

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
To be clear about my intentions here, I don't think anyone is actually attempting to throw indie developers under the bus. Usually these things are a matter of communication with no ill will involved.

I felt the need to come and explain our position because we've tried *very* hard to get crossplay into our game and it was frustrating to hear it suggested that we just needed to start a conversation. Ultimately I was concerned that the takeaway for the end user was that we simply hadn't made an effort.

So whilst the article might have been frustrating, I'm actually fairly positive that it might be a sign of things changing. I also don't think any harm was meant. Ultimately it's Sony's platform and they're entitled to write the policies, as long as our position as a developer is clear, no harm done.

That said, I will continue to point out that crossplay is a no-brainer improvement for every consumer and developer.

We need devs like you to care to help improve gaming for all gamers.

Don't give up yet. 💪

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for Tiy to shed some light. Hopefully this doesn't put his relation with Sony at risk.

Yeah they said no because it is in beta. It's not open beta. I would say he is lying if it was officially live and out of beta. I mean, Sony certainly hasn't had an issue with crossplay with PC. That PR statement basically operates in the grey area because technically Sony has had crossplay enabled since PS2 and has more crossplay enabled games vs Xbox and Nintendo.

Come. On.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'll refer back to this:
Layden outright says "just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we've learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works. I don't believe right now there is any gating factor on that.". So is there a beta that's limiting entrance to the program, or is there no gating factor and anyone who wishes can be walked through the steps? It can't be both and now we have dev confirmation that they won't even be considered to be walked through the steps for now. That's why people are up in arms at the moment.
So either he's lying or, at best, he's being extremely misleading. Neither are a good look.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

lol a "beta" for a "program" where they simply say yes or no to a developer.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then he should've said exactly that. He didn't. He lied. Or is completely out of the loop. Also Chucklefish didn't get told 'you aren't in the beta' either, so we have at least piss poor communication going on.

Not that a crossplay policy should be in beta six years into this generation, that's just... what?

Definitely a communication thing. Sony already stated their intentions about they're going to support crossplay.

Layden outright says "just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we've learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works. I don't believe right now there is any gating factor on that.". So is there a beta that's limiting entrance to the program, or is there no gating factor and anyone who wishes can be walked through the steps? It can't be both and now we have dev confirmation that they won't even be considered to be walked through the steps for now. That's why people are up in arms at the moment.

From what we know when Sony announced crossplay, there's currently a beta and only certain games are allowed in. When they open it up to more games they'll be giving more details about it.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Open beta is an excuse they just roll out to prevent bigger games from leaving the platform. They put more effort into PlayStation Mobile then this.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The benefits of incorporating cross play outweigh any reasoning Sony might have to not want to enable it, it's actually baffling.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Definitely a communication thing. Sony already stated their intentions about they're going to support crossplay.

From what we know when Sony announced crossplay, there's currently a beta and only certain games are allowed in. When they open it up to more games they'll be giving more details about it.
How is only certain games being allowed in not a "gating factor"???

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh, I forgot the beta is exclusive to the people who pre-ordered crossplay.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You do know that Fortnite "accidentally" had crossplay for PS4 enabled for a short period long before Sony announced this "beta" crossplay program, right? It's the main reason why people are so vocal about it, because they had it ready to go for a long-ass time, and the only people in the way were Sony.

They're only using the "beta" term as an excuse to do selective rollouts. It seems that it has been possible for devs to do for a very long time at this point.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
There are some incredible posts in this thread. I used to think we mostly left behind the console warz when we came here. Nope!

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

It's impressive how you still believe the bullshit they are feeding us. Your devotion to a corporation is....something.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
There are some incredible posts in this thread. I used to think we mostly left behind the console warz when we came here. Nope!

They're like the paranoid old veterans of the great Console Wars of the '90's emerging from the jungle they've been hiding in for the first time since and quickly realizing the world had left them well behind.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Nintendo and Microsoft having a beta period for crossplay did they? They just rolled out the feature. Why Sony needs an extended beta period for crossplay then?

Actually we know, this beta thing is just bullshit spinning for the fact they don't want crossplay in their system and they're gatekeeping the feature, allowing just the most popular games to have that feature because they can strong arm Sony. Everyone else is shit out of luck.

Is super transparent yet people still do mental gymnastics over it. smh

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

Yikes lol. The defense force is in full swing.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I don't remember Nintendo and Microsoft having a beta period for crossplay did they? They just rolled out the feature. Why Sony needs an extended beta period for crossplay then?

Correct. No such period of testing ever existed. Cross-play just entered circulation naturally as the tech became possible. I think Rocket League was one of the trailblazers if I'm remembering right. Or maybe even as far back as Gears of War from 360 to PC

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Holy moly. I feel dizzy from the failed attempt at maximum spin.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
This thread started off weird.. some comments coming across as really.. aah.. what's the right corporate word?... Inauthentic?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear you were not granted cross-play for Wargroove by Sony.

However, you have not indicated the reason or intimated a sniff of why Sony declined to offer cross-play for Wargroove. You must either remember a verbal communication, have an email or an official document suggesting why it was not possible.

Care to shed any light at all?
"Im sorry, but also I don't totally believe you"

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

GMM

Oct 27, 2017

Sending and receiving TCP/UDP packets between the developers own server infrastructure is ludicrous to label as a beta, this is an internal Sony policy prohibiting developers from serving specific data.

Sony has everything implemented developers need to authenticate a user on their own game infrastructure. This is not a technical problem, it's a policy problem.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
User Warned - Inflammatory Accusation
Yikes lol. The defense force is in full swing.
This is the type of shit bait response when someone has an opposing point and you have nothing worth note to say.

I dont blame them for taking precautions on crossplay. I definitely won't take ones word over the others either..

It's like these devs are using the players and communities to fight their battles, for their bottom lines. Dont see no valid reason for SL to flat out lie, especially after the pipeline has been set.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is only certain games being allowed in not a "gating factor"???
So he's either lying here, or he's being extremely misleading to deflect. Gotcha.

Something has to be lost in translation.

It's impressive how you still believe the bullshit they are feeding us. Your devotion to a corporation is....something.
Thanks.

At least i have proof to back up my claims.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What a spin.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
We are probably only 18 months from a new generation. Stuff like this, the lack of refunds and game pass really piss me off and make it more likely I would go with MS next generation. MS are laying the foundations for a great next generation console and service. Sony on the other hand are making so many bad moves.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the type of shit bait response when someone has an opposing point and you have nothing worth note to say.

I dont blame them for taking precautions on crossplay. I definitely won't take ones word over the others either..

It's like these devs are using the players and communities to fight their battles, for their bottom lines. Dont see no valid reason for SL to flat out lie, especially after the pipeline has been set.
What precautions? Both Microsoft and Nintendo seem to have no problems at all with this

Well that reason would be that they don't really wanna do it and are just trying to damage control

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

For the same reason Microsoft lied about the indie parity policy? Because admitting it is a bad look?

Pipeline? What pipeline? Everything technically is done on the developer side. Sony literally just has to say yes or no.

Something has to be lost in translation.

Or....he's just lying

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018

Putting the blame on the devs. That's a new low in a thread full of corporate apologist.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't really on topic. Layden said one thing and devs are contradicting him. I'm not really sure how you escaped my ignore list from the plethora of cross play threads that came before this one.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

At least i have proof to back up my claims.

LOL you have a blog post about a beta program. A beta for people to say yes or no. That is the extent of your proof. Meanwhile we have had multiple developers directly point to Sony not working with them on crossplay or flat out saying no. I'll believe the developers over a suit and those who will lap up anything they say.

You don't have proof. You have a lie that you tell yourself every time you think about this topic.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Chucklefish, want your next game to be on the most popular platform on the planet? I'd tone it down a bit tbh.

I know he got banned, but my lord.

Reminder. Corporations are not your friends stop shilling for them. Enjoy a product by all means but towing the line and you're not an employee? doesn't pass the smell test.

I've seen some priceless attempts at distraction in this thread. If you as a gamer don't want cross play or don't care about it (if that's the case I'd question why you would in this thread ;)) that's great.

The rest of the us the consumers want as much choice as possible and that's the problem with Sony this gen. From a consumer view they always think they know best.

So Sony. Great games and a terrible disgusting approach to us their users.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

And yet, his shit bait response manages to make more sense than your pathetic attempt at portraying these indie devs as some sort of bullies:

Get out of here with this corporate apologist bullshit.