• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
We will be releasing it on PS4, we have finite resources and prioritised platforms that could crossplay as it was important to us to get the online nice and healthy rather than divide the player base.

Work is going into the PS4 version now, it won't have PS4 to PC crossplay as that would have forced us to attempt some sort of inelegant system to try and ensure Xbox/Switch players wouldn't see each other despite both being able to play with PC players.

PC lobbies becoming unavailable to Xbox/Switch players if a PS4 player joins maybe? There are no nice solutions.

As far as just flicking a switch goes, just to clarify, this is entirely from a technical perspective. I'm sure that if crossplay opens up it will come with lots of policies to adhere to (and these are a good thing) that could require work on our part. Aside from policy, there are no security or technical concerns I'm aware of hindering us. Because Wargroove runs on our own servers, any security needs to be in place regardless.

It's actually more work for us to restrict crossplay, to isolate platforms, than to just let it function.

Thank you for your input, Sony should really rethink their policies regarding crossplay.
I'm gonna purchase a copy of Wargroove today to support you guys who are willing to speak out.
I planned to digest my backlog first but i have to do sth to show my appreciation. Gamers must unite against such bs policy.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Why doesn't Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC just have cross-play And just leave Sony at a competitive disadvantage? If there is a technical issue with it just disable multiplayer on Sony platforms.

Why do people put so much energy in keeping corporations in business. If cross-play is the future let it be a future without Sony.

That's happened with some games and will continue to happen in the future.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I don't have a problem with them deciding to not allow a feature in its system, because it's its damn fucking system.

But blaming and targeting the developers as the culpables, and we're talking of a fucking medium full of idiot guys harassing to developers, it's the most shameful shitshow that I have seen in various decades following this medium.

This is not arrogant Sony, this is the equivalent of Sony managed by Donald Trump.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Community generalisations
Sony fans have the arrogance to match their favorite company it seems.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Because it's good for devs of all sizes but especially small ones. Right now it's great for Microsoft and Switch but come Next Gen when the Switch won't be able to handle some of those future games? That's where Sony needs to step up

It's were Sony needs to step up if they want the privilege of the money in our wallets. We as consumers need to stop acting like the things we want exist because a corporation provides them and it not because we demand them. Yes Sony makes great games and hopefully they continue you too. But we can't let this companies think they are to big to fail.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting how 2 separate developers are saying something completely different to this...

At least he gets paid to say this nonsense I guess.

Edit: He also seems to make out that cross-play is extremely difficult to implement for Sony by stating the "partnership with Epic" yet Nintendo, who are known for not being great when it comes to networks and online, are able to provide it effortlessly.

Both Xbox and Nintendo got it to work in no time because users asked for it, they had no problem with it and worked on that. They basically just said "yeah let's do it".

Not referring to you but to certain people on this thread: let's cut the bullsh*t, if Sony really wanted it, Cross-Play with all other platforms would already be a thing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So this Shawn Layden guy is just a straight up liar?
That seems the long and the short of this.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Power does truly corrupt. It's hard to imagine that this is the same company that opened up their pitch for the PlayStation 4 with odes to developer co-operation and friendship.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So the context is

Sony is doing slow rollout for crossplay and are selecting who can and cannot participate?

Either way Layden laying the blame ANY where but on their own shoulders is bullshit

They should be the ones making it simple for Devs to do this and helping out. Not the other way around

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Sony's crossplay policy is in Beta right now which is why only 2 games are supported. Kinda like the Name changes.
Nah. The name change stuff requires actual back end work on Sony's part. There is no technical hurdle to getting cross play working on PS4. Not from Sony's side at least. The devs are saying they're ready to go on their end, they just need the go ahead and to run through the proper policy hurdles. Unfortunately Sony isn't working with them to do that (with the exception of the few games they've deemed worthy so far).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, this work needs to be done for every platform as users are generally able to opt out of crossplay on each console. It's not PS4 specific. I'm more explaining why this is a 'switch flipping' scenario. We'd just be disabling the restrictions.
Thanks for the clarification. This makes more sense and going by past developers comments it seems like the dev-community is more than ready and equipped to enable cross-plattform support on all systems.

Lets hope that Sony opens up more about this issue. Just assuming that the game sold best on Switch/PC and why wouldnt they want their Wargroove PS4 players have access to a bigger online community.

Hey Chucklefish, want your next game to be on the most popular platform on the planet? I'd tone it down a bit tbh.
lol

Another reminder why competition is good.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointing and so fucking obviously a lie, but awesome of Chucklefish to come in and confirm it. I really need to get Wargroove, it looks amazing and perfect for Switch. Sony has a nice setup of exclusives, it's such a shame that their execs make me want to throw my money at everyone but them. This isn't console warring at all, I've played the shit out of my PS4 ... I just can't with them right now.

Not even going to comment on the CozMick quote, that person has already been dealt with, haha.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
We will be releasing it on PS4, we have finite resources and prioritised platforms that could crossplay as it was important to us to get the online nice and healthy rather than divide the player base.

Work is going into the PS4 version now, it won't have PS4 to PC crossplay as that would have forced us to attempt some sort of inelegant system to try and ensure Xbox/Switch players wouldn't see each other despite both being able to play with PC players.

PC lobbies becoming unavailable to Xbox/Switch players if a PS4 player joins maybe? There are no nice solutions.

As far as just flicking a switch goes, just to clarify, this is entirely from a technical perspective. I'm sure that if crossplay opens up it will come with lots of policies to adhere to (and these are a good thing) that could require work on our part. Aside from policy, there are no security or technical concerns I'm aware of hindering us. Because Wargroove runs on our own servers, any security needs to be in place regardless.

It's actually more work for us to restrict crossplay, to isolate platforms, than to just let it function.

Thanks for the response! It is sad that the console you own is being made by arrogant people how want to divide (more) the community. I will be there day 1 buying your game for the PS4.

I really hope that the media outlets call out Sony for making vapid excuses for the lack of cooperation.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

Why can't Sony stop lying about crossplay?? It's a bit weird.

Dec 9, 2017
So Sony is willing to put children at risk of exposure to Xbox Live and Switch players if a game is popular enough?! Disgusting.

A stern no across the board is required to keep the children safe!

/s

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Crossplay should be the industry standard. Hopefully developers will keep piling on the pressure until every company is forced to adopt it.

Nov 2, 2017
To be fair, Sony's crossplay policy is in Beta right now which is why only 2 games are supported. Kinda like the Name changes.

Name change stuff is entirely on Sony's infrastructure.

Cross-play, in general, works by having the developers roll out their own multiplayer infrastructure. Which means that they're not reliant upon Sony coming up with some way to talk to MS and Nintendo, but the developer has to do that work for themselves. The thing that they need from Sony is permission to cross the multiplayer pools, not a complex technical solution that Sony has to build internally. Which is why it can just be flipping a switch, if they've already done the work for cross-play but are having to restrict it for PS because of Sony's policies.

(Take this with a grain of salt as I work in software dev but not in gaming.)