• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This is really not #4theplayers and smells like a straight-out lie just to calm consumers. Not a fan of this.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay kicks ass and it has been a huge success where it has been implemented. It will only make more sense next gen, as the differences between platforms continue to melt away.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about on here, but Im looking at pro-sony sites on the internet, and the way they defend sony is just embarassing. It also means we're not going to get crossplay if so many people are just indifferent or defensive over it

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony needs to stop embarrassing themselves with this shit. If you don't want to do cross play just dont do it but the pathetic excuses which are outright lies are only making this more hilarious.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

Thank you for speaking up. I know it's not always easy to do the brave thing considering how much power console makers hold.

Sony, we get it, you're on top, you can afford to say "fuck that" to crossplay. But pinning the blame on devs is monumentally shitty.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to have to pay even more in network fees to play online. So I'm totally fine with developers having to come up with their own solution instead of pestering Sony to allow free access to PSN to their RIVALS.

Cross play has no direct cost associated with it, all traffic for the games run on the developers own infrastructure. The only thing Sony needs to have implemented is developer API access to PSN to facilitate validating PSN accounts with external services, they already have that in place and services like Destiny uses that to allow you to log in to their site with your PSN account.

This is purely a Sony internal policy that they are reluctant to change, games are not running on PSN servers that PS Plus subscribers pay for.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rocket league has crossplay since january.
I thinkSony allows crossplay to big ganes first.

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony is open for business, then it's the type of restaurant with an email list and an unknown location only told through riddles.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

The top comment:

Here we go again. A major none issue for most PlayStation gamers.

Stick to your guns Sony. You have constantly shown value from the get go for ps plus with free games and savings. Unlike Xbox - £5 to play online and Nintendo - £3 to play online with a crappy 8 bit game. They are trying to turn the argument and I say f£&= um.

*Sigh* This infantile tribalist trash will never, ever end.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why doesn't Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC just have cross-play And just leave Sony at a competitive disadvantage? If there is a technical issue with it just disable multiplayer on Sony platforms.

Why do people put so much energy in keeping corporations in business. If cross-play is the future let it be a future without Sony.

Further clarification

Tiy

CEO of Chucklefish
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
I'm sad this means that Wargroove isn't going to be release on the PS4? That's bullshit.

Edit: arrogant Sony never left.

We will be releasing it on PS4, we have finite resources and prioritised platforms that could crossplay as it was important to us to get the online nice and healthy rather than divide the player base.

Work is going into the PS4 version now, it won't have PS4 to PC crossplay as that would have forced us to attempt some sort of inelegant system to try and ensure Xbox/Switch players wouldn't see each other despite both being able to play with PC players.

PC lobbies becoming unavailable to Xbox/Switch players if a PS4 player joins maybe? There are no nice solutions.

As far as just flicking a switch goes, just to clarify, this is entirely from a technical perspective. I'm sure that if crossplay opens up it will come with lots of policies to adhere to (and these are a good thing) that could require work on our part. Aside from policy, there are no security or technical concerns I'm aware of hindering us. Because Wargroove runs on our own servers, any security needs to be in place regardless.

It's actually more work for us to restrict crossplay, to isolate platforms, than to just let it function.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh Shawn...

iCK4cf.gif

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Glad to see Chucklefish speak out. I hope other Devs call them out too. I kinda think it's nonsense to say Fortnite and Rocket League can but others can't. I get that they are a business and don't want to lose money but I can't imagine that if you have more than double the install base of the competition that you are really losing anything from crossplay. If anything you are allowing games to have a bigger player base which would most likely lead to more sales of season passes mtx ect. But I don't run an entertainment business so what do I know. Hope we get some Apex crossplay

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
We will be releasing it on PS4, we have finite resources and prioritised platforms that could crossplay as it was important to us to get the online nice and healthy rather than divide the player base.

Work is going into the PS4 version now, it won't have PS4 to PC crossplay as that would have forced us to attempt some sort of inelegant system to try and ensure Xbox/Switch players wouldn't see each other despite both being able to play with PC players.

PC lobbies becoming unavailable to Xbox/Switch players if a PS4 player joins maybe? There are no nice solutions.

As far as just flicking a switch goes, just to clarify, this is entirely from a technical perspective. I'm sure that if crossplay opens up it will come with lots of policies to adhere to (and these are a good thing) that could require work on our part. Aside from policy, there are no security or technical concerns I'm aware of hindering us. Because Wargroove runs on our own servers, any security needs to be in place regardless.

It's actually more work for us to restrict crossplay, to isolate platforms, than to just let it function.
Thanks for clarifying again.
Hope that the PS4 launch for Wargroove will go well!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The top comment:

*Sigh* This infantile tribalist trash will never, ever end.

It's crazy. This has to be one of the most clear cut obvious things to be for in gaming I've seen. How can someone have any pushback AGAINST crossplay? It makes literally no sense as a consumer, it only helps developers and playerbases flourish. But even that still brings the maniacs out.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018

This... this is just sad. Wow

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC just have cross-play And just leave Sony at a competitive disadvantage? If there is a technical issue with it just disable multiplayer on Sony platforms.

Why do people put so much energy in keeping corporations in business. If cross-play is the future let it be a future without Sony.

Exactly this, I think Nintendo and Microsoft should continue on using it as an advantage and leave Sony in the dust. This is ridiculous at this point, just as ridiculous as any defense of it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Because it's good for devs of all sizes but especially small ones. Right now it's great for Microsoft and Switch but come Next Gen when the Switch won't be able to handle some of those future games? That's where Sony needs to step up

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.
Thanks for the clarification.

I sure hope that Shawn Laydens BS gets picked up by the gaming outlets.

Tiy

CEO of Chucklefish
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Welp....thanks for the inside - there really is no defending this, especially if it results in more work for devs to keep the PS4 version a cross-play free zone.

To be fair, this work needs to be done for every platform as users are generally able to opt out of crossplay on each console. It's not PS4 specific. I'm more explaining why this is a 'switch flipping' scenario. We'd just be disabling the restrictions.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Long history of infractions for console wars
Hey Chucklefish, want your next game to be on the most popular platform on the planet? I'd tone it down a bit tbh.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
To be fair, this work needs to be done for every platform as users are generally able to opt out of crossplay on each console. It's not PS4 specific. I'm more explaining why this is a 'switch flipping' scenario. We'd just be disabling the restrictions.

So clearly an indie studio like yourselves are not a big enough voice to get in Sony's ear about this. Have you heard anything about the bigger voices doing it in your place? Like an EA or an Acti-Blizzard for example?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What a disaster....first Jim Ryan of all being, the king of gaffes becoming CEO, and now Shawn Layden clearly lying about devs access to crossplay....

I dont know what department are in charge of the decision making in this area, but they need to be fired immediately

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Making the CEO look bad is no bueno. I can imagine some VP is shaking in their boots that their CEO said one thing in public and they've been telling their reports something else in private.

I wouldn't immediately put the blame on Shawn but it's definitely his accountability. If things are meant to be how he says he needs to go rattle some heads.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Sony's crossplay policy is in Beta right now which is why only 2 games are supported. Kinda like the Name changes.