• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Only if it's not the truth, and based off their actions for the past 2 years, its fair to assume that it isn't until we see something from a developer showing otherwise.

Never assume shit, is a rule I live by. But by all means, you're welcome to do that. I'm looking forward to see what we'll see post the "open for business" interview, to see if it's all bs or not. :)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling its a security issue. Sony have a far stricter policy especially after the hack.

The post of Chucklefish said its as easy as flipping a switch but how many layers of security does that switch have?

All we know the Switch and Xbox have some wild west security measures but Sony want something far stronger. If there is a weakness in the system let's say on the Switch side and hackers gain access to the 3 consoles accounts we will be all blaming the publishers.
Stage 1: Denial

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I have a feeling its a security issue. Sony have a far stricter policy especially after the hack.

The post of Chucklefish said its as easy as flipping a switch but how many layers of security does that switch have?

All we know the Switch and Xbox have some wild west security measures but Sony want something far stronger. If there is a weakness in the system let's say on the Switch side and hackers gain access to the 3 consoles accounts we will be all blaming the publishers.
I believe we have found the answer.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Sony, what the fuck?

You guys have so many fucking studios and exclusive games you don't need to worry about 3rd party cross play. open it up.

I am so fucking sick of double talk.

when I started playing Apex I made the comment that this will be another one of those games I regret starting on PlayStation because I will be locked out of my shit soon. That shouldn't be a question in 2019.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of PSN, their 2FA system is hilariously outdated and barely works. Who the fuck uses an SMS system for 2FA in 20 fucking 19?

Not exactly the company I'd be defending as security experts.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): System Warring and Concern Trolling
how are posters defending the CEO of a company who just straight up lied? why?
How do you know Sony lied?

We do have developers commenting but are they telling us everything.

There could be a cost involved in implementing cross play the developers don't want to pay or a security measure thst would be hard in implement. They are not going to openly admit they won't pay it. They will leave that little detail out on why they were rejected.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

This is the worst post in this thread so far.

I'm sorry to hear you were not granted cross-play for Wargroove by Sony.

However, you have not indicated the reason or intimated a sniff of why Sony declined to offer cross-play for Wargroove. You must either remember a verbal communication, have an email or an official document suggesting why it was not possible.

Care to shed any light at all?

This is a close second.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

You're probably getting so many replies about this. But Microsoft's account security goes beyond the console. They were first with two factor out of the big three and still do it better than Sony who took awhile to add it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

There could be a cost involved in implementing cross play the developers don't want to pay or a security measure thst would be hard in implement. They are not going to openly admit they won't pay it. They will leave that little detail out on why they were rejected.

Lmaooo

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Is the average gamer aware of cross platform system at all? I doubt it will be a detriment for PS5 TBH, they are the market leader now and can afford to get away with this kind of stuff.
Both of my kids (7 and 12) are very much aware of what games they can play cross platform and from which systems they need to play from when there are limitations. And most of their info doesn't come from me, although I will of course help them out if they can't get it working.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017

mmmh Sony got user accounts hacked and published online, what are you talking about lol.
Also you saying you can gain access to system resources, run unsigned code, through cross play? Why lol?

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
shanwpunished.png

Awesome! 😁

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Dude please stop. Sony is not your friend you don't have to keep making up bullshit to defend them.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Lot of devs saying "We literally have to press a button to make it work".
None devs: "Well mayyyybe they dont tell us everything".

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mate you're gonna set a record for being the most quoted poster in this thread

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep....all of these devs are leaving out that one detail

Omg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Another thing being that back when they began implementing crossplay, before there was any between consoles (only console - PC), the Rocket League developers already said that Microsoft had the toughest security requirements. Even the security excuse is bunk.
That would make sense they're in the cloud business and they integrated that into xbox pretty heavily so considering they already need to have the toughest security they can afford for their enterprise customers they already have that covered up.
Sony is not in that business AT ALL, why the hell would they have tougher requirements? And worse yet we already know that Sony is not that very interested in keeping their own system that secure in the past and they do not have the infrastructure of a software company dedicated to that as well.
Like this whole thing is one very funny joke.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's frustrating that because I'm a fan of Japanese games I have to buy a Playstation eventually anyway unless I want to miss out on games. So I can't even say I won't buy a PS5 because of it.
Sony fix your bullshit.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Sony so difficult with this subject, especially how it gets the folks so wildup about it. I really care for cross play but it seemed to help smaller developers a lot. Just let it go Sony, it's not worth it.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Shawn Layden is just the worst Sony boss. He's just so tone deaf when it comes to what the players are asking for and he always has been right back to his first gig with Sony, announcing the Powers TV show at an E3 gaming press conference.

But I never expected he'd stoop so low as to outright lie. When a dev comes forward with a credible accusation against a platform holder, you have to believe them.

#IBelieveDevs

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
People are quick to defend and quick to attack. Feels like both sides have an agenda. Iets hear the facts first and listenen like adults. Maybe the accountmanager has valid reasons for not allowing cross play or maybe he is bad at his job i dont know. And maybe like most CEO's Shawn does not know what the fuck is going on at the workfloor. To me it seems like Sony put some restricions and rules on cross play and just said no instead of an explination why not. But the ugliness in this thread where people are quick to burn Sony as a whole or defend Sony without even a clear answer from Sony why they do not allow it is ridicilous.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are quick to defend and quick to attack. Feels like both sides have an agenda. Iets hear the facts first and listenen like adults. Maybe the accountmanager has valid reasons for not allowing cross play or maybe he is bad at his job i dont know. And maybe like most CEO's Shawn does not know what the fuck is going on at the workfloor. To me it seems like Sony put some restricions and rules on cross play and just said no instead of an explination why not. But the ugliness in this thread where people are quick to burn Sony as a whole or defend Sony without even a clear answer from Sony why they do not allow it is ridicilous.

Oh no

A CEO who didn't know what was happening in his company on as big of an issue as this wouldn't stay ceo very long

Yes the devs have an agenda - its called crossplay

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Off-topic commentary and system warring; previous infraction
Option 1) Being a shareholder
Option 2) Stockholm's syndrome
Option 3) I don't know. Somebody explain what the other option is
Or 4. You have no idea, and are open to various suggestions.

what's more worrying is this reactionary bullshit to string someone up for a few words lol

Like have a word with yourselves instead, he hasn't lied anywhere, he said there open to talk, talking doesn't automatically mean yes nor does it mean no off the bat.

Why can't Microsoft let us play for free on Xbox with f2p???? Oh well, they don't so I play f2p stuff on other platforms. Do the same buddy, its not worth getting so worked up about.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The same considerations that Sony face, are faced by MS and Nintendo.

Also, if that's the answer, you'd think it would have been spun into the PR response so far. Sony has been on the defensive on this issue for a while now, and that isn't an unreasonable position (if true). One would think we'd have heard it as an official justification by now if it were the case.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Laden's lying because he thinks it'll trick some people, and the people who aren't dumb enough to fall for such an obvious lie were already upset about this shit and being a bit more upset isn't going to pressure them to act

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating that because I'm a fan of Japanese games I have to buy a Playstation eventually anyway unless I want to miss out on games. So I can't even say I won't buy a PS5 because of it.
Sony fix your bullshit.

Most Japanese games make their way to Switch & PC these days and more will jump ship in no time.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Well CF isnt the first developer to say sony just said no. This is pattern at this point.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Yeah no, forget that. This isn't the first time Sony has been hounded for lack of cross-play. This has been going on for months if not years. So yeah I'm going to "burn" Sony (if you want to call it that) by at least letting them know that we all want cross-play, and that the devs not only want it, but have it literally ready to go.

The ball is firmly in Sony's court right now, and hopefully this time we don't get side tracked with a "beta".

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple devs say Sony is blocking crossplay.

Shawn Layden says Sony is not blocking crossplay.

Another dev in this very thread states that no, Sony is actually still blocking crossplay.

but "both sides" amirite?

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or 4. You have no idea, and are open to various suggestions.

what's more worrying is this reactionary bullshit to string someone up for a few words lol

Like have a word with yourselves instead, he hasn't lied anywhere, he said there open to talk, talking doesn't automatically mean yes nor does it mean no off the bat.

Why can't Microsoft let us play for free on Xbox with f2p???? Oh well, they don't so I play f2p stuff on other platforms. Do the same buddy, its not worth getting so worked up about.

Welp its now a real crossplay thread

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
People are quick to defend and quick to attack. Feels like both sides have an agenda. Iets hear the facts first and listenen like adults. Maybe the accountmanager has valid reasons for not allowing cross play or maybe he is bad at his job i dont know. And maybe like most CEO's Shawn does not know what the fuck is going on at the workfloor. To me it seems like Sony put some restricions and rules on cross play and just said no instead of an explination why not. But the ugliness in this thread where people are quick to burn Sony as a whole or defend Sony without even a clear answer from Sony wij die not allow it is ridicilous.

Do you want me to qoute the last 2 years of facts from sony, or would you like to acknowledge that this has been going on for longer than this thread and that many of us are getting tired of this bullshit on Sony's end?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

How long do we wait to hear from Sony?

How many bullshit lines like protect the children do we have to hear?

When was the crossplay beta announced? How many games have been allowed crossplay then? Why are developers themselves telling us Sony has flat out refused to allow crossplay for their titles?

Why has Sony's response since developers accused them only been a blatant lie?

How much longer should the community wait?

And the CEO should know what's going on. Plain and simple.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing someone say that Microsoft may have wild west security measures to allow cross play might be the most reset thing I've ever read.

*Microsoft having wild west security measures*

WHEW LAD

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I still find funny how Sony went from being the cool kid in class to take the place that the nerd Microsoft had last year, and now MS is the cool kid.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, maybe Sony isn't lying. Maybe it's just that the first step on the process to crossplay on PS is to make a "Fortnite sized hit that has enough attention on it that even the mainstream media begins to report on the crossplay issue"

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.
Layden exposed, bitch.