• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I use a safety razor on my neckline and if it's a fresh blade I have to use lots of lather and be VERY gentle or I will cut my shit up. Once the blade dulls a bit it's smooth sailing.

I'd never use the razor on my head though. Got a few bumps and moles that would get sliced off in a heartbeat. I gotta see what I'm doing with a safety razor.

I use a Mach 3 on my dome and even that has caused some bloody messes at times. Head shaving is tricky.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I use a safety razor on my neckline and if it's a fresh blade I have to use lots of lather and be VERY gentle or I will cut my shit up. Once the blade dulls a bit it's smooth sailing.

I'd never use the razor on my head though. Got a few bumps and moles that would get sliced off in a heartbeat. I gotta see what I'm doing with a safety razor.

I use a Mach 3 on my dome and even that has caused some bloody messes at times. Head shaving is tricky.

What blade you use? May want to get a slightly duller brand or get a less aggressive blade profile razor. Or even get an adjustable to finely tune. Also may want to experiment with different shaving pass speeds.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
What blade you use? May want to get a slightly duller brand or get a less aggressive blade profile razor. Or even get an adjustable to finely tune. Also may want to experiment with different shaving pass speeds.

I think these are the "Harry" brand? Just whatever I could find at the store. May have to actually do some research on the different types of blades.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Try a safety razor. I used to dread shaving, especially along my neckline, but I got a Merkur Futur razor about three years ago along with Feather platinum-coated blades. I use a badger-hair brush and proraso shave soap. Shaving has been an absolute dream ever since.

What I like about the Futur is it's adjustable, so you essentially get 6 razors in one; you can open it up for a super aggressive shave at 6 or keep it narrow and smooth at 1, or anything in between. Plus it took me nearly three years to get through all the feather blades I got in the pack I chose.

Keep in mind, though, that there is a learning curve with these kinds of razors and until you get the hang of it you will cut yourself. But the razors are so fine that you'll see the blood running before you feel any nicks.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think these are the "Harry" brand? Just whatever I could find at the store. May have to actually do some research on the different types of blades.

Ah didn't realize the Harry brand was making DE now as well, but that makes sense. I haven't tried one but I know amazon sells, or to be more specific re-sellers on amazon sell, sample packs so you can try a good range out. I'd look for a pack that has the following at least:

Feather High Stainless
Merkur
Gillette 7s (maybe the silver blues as well)
Derby Extra
Shark Super Stainless
Astra Platinums (also maybe the stainless)
Wilkinson Swords

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
You're doing it wrong. You shave first, then you shower.

This times x 100. Shave first, then shower and/or wash your face. (Wash your face at night if need be.)

I'd recommend ditching the mach 3 as well. I prefer the flexible Shicks or an electric for sure, and there must be tons of of new razers that simple and better. The mach 3 is a product of gillette's incredible marketing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Try fucking up on your pubes. I swear to god, Dracula would have had a ball performing fellatio on me.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I shave against the grain all the time with (mostly) no problems.

It also still takes me a like a week and a half to grow enough facial hair that even constitutes being shaveworthy at the age of 26. And that hair is still pretty soft and patchy on my cheeks too.

Basically, what I'm saying is you're either able to grow a beard without looking like a 15 year old struggling with puberty at the cost of some shaving knicks, or you're not.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Hostility and accumulated infractions
grow a beard you mewling half-man

Oct 26, 2017
I only shave against the grain to get stragglers, it's usually not so bad. But shaving neck is a big pita all the time because i get mad razor burn on the right side of I'm not careful

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Get some proper shaving soap (if you haven't already).
I find that a good lather with a proper shaving brush works a lot better than canned gel/foam.
Even so, I can't imagine going against the grain with a Mach 3. It'd tear most of my skin off (Mine is pretty sensitive). A safety razor is much smoother, though it probably depends on what you get (mine gives a mild shave but you might want something more aggressive if you really want no stubble).

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I never really having problems shaving but my ex flat mate always looked like he had been attacked by a knife wielding gang everytime he shaved, I always meant to watch how he did it as he must have been taking a run and jump up to the razor.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I hear a lot of good things about safety razors. I'd definitely try it for a better shave. What are recommended kits/products to buy?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I hear a lot of good things about safety razors. I'd definitely try it for a better shave. What are recommended kits/products to buy?

Gonna quote myself about the sample pack earlier.

Ah didn't realize the Harry brand was making DE now as well, but that makes sense. I haven't tried one but I know amazon sells, or to be more specific re-sellers on amazon sell, sample packs so you can try a good range out. I'd look for a pack that has the following at least:

Feather High Stainless
Merkur
Gillette 7s (maybe the silver blues as well)
Derby Extra
Shark Super Stainless
Astra Platinums (also maybe the stainless)
Wilkinson Swords

As for the holder, I'd suggest any decent adjustable you can get on amazon as it'll let you explore different razor profiles to find what fits you best.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
These days I use an electric shaver to keep a bit of stubble, but for clean shaving I'd go with a good double-edged safety razor.

A bit tricky to use at first, they are very sharp and can cut pretty easily if you aren't careful, but they give me an extremely smooth shave without any razor burn.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I always used this, razors destroy my skin

magic-poudre-rasage-peau-normale.jpg

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Use a beard trimmer on the shortest setting first to get the hairs as short as possible, press a damp, hot washing cloth against your skin for 10 seconds, then apply shaving cream and shave against the grain. I also have very coarse thick hair and I never even nick my skin.

If you're bleeding, you're doing something wrong tbh

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah the solution is to just don't; against the grain is always more difficult.

You may want to get a nicer razor if it's a must for you.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
I just shave with the grain and live with the stubble. I've tried a thousand different tricks (including everything in this thread, with the exception of a couple of particular products which probably match ones I've already tried anyway) but the only thing that allows me to shave against the grain is spending about ten minutes soaking my face in warm water and then another minute or two really digging that shaving cream into my face until it's practically bonded to it, slapping on another layer, and going incredibly gently with a safety razor. Ain't nobody got time for that shit, so I only do it for funerals and, well, that's about it.

For my particular combination of skin and hair, the electric gadgets are the absolute worst case. The actual shave is fine, but a week or two later I get roughly a hundred and fifty thousand spots. I'm thinking they're ingrown hairs, and I haven't come up with a solution for avoiding them. I've tried six different models and all sorts of combinations of aftershaves and prep routines and the same thing always happens. Millions of years of evolution and our dumbass genes can't even get skin and hair right half the time.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I just shave three times.

Electric razor first to get through the major foliage. With the grain with my razor, and then again against the grain.

Smooth as a baby, and easy to do.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never use a razor, don't see the point. And in this day and age I don't think there's many places where having a razor close shave is necessary

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
I only shave with grain on first pass and across on second pass. Never against. Don't stretch your skin when you shave. Keep your chin level.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Shaving against the grain is a fool's errand. I shave with, it looks fine, my neck isn't a battlefield of gouges and torn skin.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Safety razors routinely give me a better shave with less irritation.

I also shave my head with it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use an electric to trim and then swap to a foil shaver for the clean shave, when that's what I'm after. The first day or two going clean can be a bit tender but after that I seem to adapt until I grow it out again.

When I was a teen I was too embarrassed to admit I needed to shave at first. My dad used electric but had some razors he never touched, so I decided to take them and go with what I had. Dry razor with no water or anything. That shit hurt.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to shave my face and skull every day. My beard hair in particular is dense and metallic (imagine every fourth beard hair looks and feels like a short sharp brass wire) and extremely hard - so my blades often chip and can become unusable after a single shave. For irritation and cuts, against or with the grain makes zero difference, but does for detail patches. As you can imagine, this gets expensive, so I've been experimenting with razors for a decade. Here's what I've discovered for me - YMMV.

1. Electric Razors, including the most expensive well reviewed one on the market, don't actually do anything - literally. I can pass the shaver over short, medium or long growth and it simply doesn't do anything, not even catch for the most part. It's literally as if I left the plastic cap on the damn things. Apparently that's just a thing. Some people can't use electric razors.

2. The cheapest least advanced razors to do a halfway decent job are Schick Slim Twins. If they're on sale, it's a good budget alternative. Definitely only able to shave once with these though, and their lubricant, whatever it is, is fine. No irritation and smooth shave, but takes about twice as long as the best one.

3. I have entirely by feel - with and against the grain. The hardest parts are at the base of my neck and I have to shave these against the grain multiple times before the razor angle catches the base of the hair. Although only the second most likely for me to miss and realize too late.

4. Discovering a missed patch on the road is the WORST. Smoothing my scalp or face and discovering an isolated copse of unshaved vagrancy is awful, so I ALWAYS travel with spare razors in my car and backpack to address on the fly. Such a relief. Scares other drivers though watching a skinhead dry shave in the car (or occasionally a surreptitious concealed movement on the plane).

5. I can shave using a fresh razor without soap, water or shave gel - completely dry - and have done so dozens of times in emergencies, or camping or in the snow where I don't want to wash in a glacier fueled cataract. I ain't Ryu.

7. My favorite disposables of all time are Bic Flex 5 and their weird "budget unisex" Bic YOU - which are way cheaper than Flex 5 yet almost identical design and blades - the difference is that the holder doesn't pivot or rotate on a ball, so you're in charge of angling the blades - which is fine for my style.

8. Replaceable safety razors are worse than most disposables.

9. Cut throat razor is an absolutely ABSURD amount of effort for a face and skull every day and is reserved solely for a spa treatment type experience and further, keeping a razor sharp yourself is a fool's errand, and even high quality steel will chip on my hair (Barber is furious) and some of those can't be whetstoned out and have to be ground. IT is possible to do it yourself safely, but the traditional folding handle is designed to be used on the face and further, by a third person, so cuts or mistakes are INEVITABLE.

10. I seldom wear aftershave or a balm, but occasionally if I'm forced to use the same blade twice, I will apply a tiny dot of sandalwood and aloe to reduce potential redness.

11. I used to use Dollar Shave Club, but they switched manufacturers, I suspect, because the before and after difference was ABSURD. Although they had good customer service.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I learned about 20 years ago that shaving wrecks my skin, so ever since then I've maintained perma stubble/short beard at grade 1 using a clipper once a week or every two weeks (it grows out to about grade 2 or 3 in that time). So much less hassle.

And grade 1/2 (half) once a week for my head. Shaving your head with a razor is a nightmare in my experience.

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I feel fortunate in that I've never really have any issues with shaving. I just dont like the process one bit. A few years ago I bought a huge supply of disposable razors, and that same year I was given a safety razor. I do the bulk of the work with the safety razor then do touch-up with a sharper disposable razor.

I guess electric razors are the thing I cant really handle. They always seem to hurt. I'm sure if I invested and made sure to shave more often I could get electric razors to work but I'm not interested.