• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Jaws28.jpg

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fauci: "For a pandemic as serious as this, we need a government response of equal seriousness."

Trump Administration:
otzsmrn.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
"I didn't agree to that!!"

The viewing of this movie on 4th of July weekend is tradition in the Shadybiz household, and there sure as hell isn't anything better to do this year, that's for sure.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Nice catch. Can anyone confirm if it was Ben Gardener that caught the shark? Where's Ben, can he be reached for comment?

m.youtube.com

Jaws -- Hooper finds Ben Gardner's boat

Possibly the scariest scene in Jaws, when Hooper and Chief Brodie go out to look for the shark and find Ben Gardner's boat. When Hooper dives to examine the ...

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What if the Shark's mother comes back for revenge? We should just ignore it and let some people get eaten for the greater good of our town.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As you all know, Amity means friendship.

Everyone in this thread has city hands. You have just been counting money your whole life. I can't use you on my boat!

I'm not talking about pleasure boating or day sailing. I'm talking about workin for a living. I'm talking about sharking!
standing outside your neighbor's window and peeking into their living room is not a "drive in"
I think you're going to ignore this problem until it swims up and bites you in the ASS!
Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.
"I didn't agree to that!!"
Make Amity Great Again!
We got some islanders right here, their folks aren't from Greenwhich!

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The real problem is the summer ginks come down here in June, and that hardware store prick ain't got one thing I ordered. Not a beach umbrella. Not a sun lounger. No beach balls.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
As you may be able to surmise from my username and profile pic, I think this is the greatest thread in era history. It's one of the few perfect movies out there. Kudos to all you that quoted the film extensively.

Last edited:

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Oh it definitely is.

RespectfulScientificArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif
It's kind of amazing that the shark looks worse as the series goes on. One time they showed this shit on TV when I was younger, and the version they showed can't have been pan and scanned properly for broadcast, because you could see more vertical info on screen than you were ever supposed to see. Boom mics and lighting was visible in some scenes, and a lot of scenes with the shark had the rigging visible underneath it. The original Jaws was awesome, and even Jaws 2 and 3 had their charms, but The Revenge was bloody awful, even as a child I knew it sucked. When it was jumping out the water and they played that cheap sounding roaring effect, I was laughing my head off.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Preach. Shark attacks are extremely rare, even accounting for the bias of them being in the ocean, making encountering them more uncommon than threats on land.

Only a few out of 400+ species have ever attacked a human, and it's very much believed it's due to them mistaking us for a seal or some other prey of theirs.

Meanwhile we kill hundreds of millions per year, mostly by cutting off their fins and tossing them back in.

If anyone reading this has an hour to spare, this documentary by Gordon Ramsay shows how big the industry is. And the reasoning behind it is just baffling and stupid.

Edit: before anyone points out this article is based on Jaws, I know. I honestly love the movie. If mods deem this post as irrelevant, I'll gladly remove it. But I think the creator of Jaws wouldn't mind trying to dispel the myths about sharks. The movie almost singlehandedly influenced pop culture's depiction of sharks. The quicker people understand that their depiction in Jaws is purely for horror, the better it'll be for both sharks and the movie itself.

that was very good, thanks for the recommendation. its shocking how large of an industry it is and how little worth 95% of the rest of the shark is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing that the shark looks worse as the series goes on. One time they showed this shit on TV when I was younger, and the version they showed can't have been pan and scanned properly for broadcast, because you could see more vertical info on screen than you were ever supposed to see. Boom mics and lighting was visible in some scenes, and a lot of scenes with the shark had the rigging visible underneath it. The original Jaws was awesome, and even Jaws 2 and 3 had their charms, but The Revenge was bloody awful, even as a child I knew it sucked. When it was jumping out the water and they played that cheap sounding roaring effect, I was laughing my head off.

Spielberg had the good sense to realize the shark looked bad and show it as little as possible. A byproduct of that was creating this incredible tension and suspense in the film because you don't really see the shark all that much in the first half or so.

i wonder how coked to the gills they were when making jaws 3. what a collosally stupid movie
I still want to know how SeaWorld got convinced to sign onto the film. Who thinks to themselves "Wow, our brand can be dramatically improved by being featured in a film where a lot of people die at one of our parks," beyond being offered all the coke they could snort.

I'm sure it would have been just as bad, but Jaws 3, People 0 couldn't have been any worse an endeavor and would have at least been something different.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I still want to know how SeaWorld got convinced to sign onto the film. Who thinks to themselves "Wow, our brand can be dramatically improved by being featured in a film where a lot of people die at one of our parks," beyond being offered all the coke they could snort.

I'm sure it would have been just as bad, but Jaws 3, People 0 couldn't have been any worse an endeavor and would have at least been something different.
I still think it's the best sequel.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Being the best of a bad bunch ain't much to brag about, but I will grant you that it's just odd enough to stick out from the first sequel's excessive laziness and The Revenge's poverty-tier execution of a genuinely terrible idea.
Jaws 2 isn't a bad film. It's just a poor follow to an all time great and kind of sits in that limbo.

You then have Jaws 3 and The Revenge, which the latter is dull as anything.