• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AI Generative Art is

• Black magic

Votes: 110 18.7%
  • Nightmarefuel

Votes: 154 26.1%
  • Pretty fucking impressive

Votes: 217 36.8%
  • Overblown

Votes: 52 8.8%
  • Merely the beginning

Votes: 271 46.0%
  • Just a computer doing computer stuff

Votes: 114 19.4%
  • THOR-E: The Generative World

Votes: 95 16.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
New York under nebula sky
33b16745-db4c-4921-9aa7-dab963eb5eec_Dr._Doom_new_York_city_under_a_colorful_nebula.png
🤩

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Think I might have to get a subscription to Midjourney to get this out of my system lol. Running out of time in the beta.

ghostly viking longship emerging from the mist in rough seas, a sea monster shrouded in the mist behind it, 8k, hyper-realistic, by H.R. Giger
0_0.png

0_0.png

I love this. This really speaks to me.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Orange tabby cat emperor, detailed, slightly damaged tapestry

788a2b33-8ae1-4876-a542-c02a00aaa586_Gen01_Orange_tabby_cat_emperor_detailed_slightly_damaged_tapestry.png

5d10df3a-62af-4687-8008-754c4f529948_Gen01_Orange_tabby_cat_emperor_detailed_slightly_damaged_tapestry.png

ea02e3ba-91f0-4328-a9df-1e457f86c1e7_Gen01_Orange_tabby_cat_emperor_detailed_slightly_damaged_tapestry.png

I can see how addictive this could be. The only limit is imagination (and a paid subscription =p)

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Thick forest of spruce trees, vegetation and moss on forest floor, church fresco style

0_0.png

Ancient limestone mural of a man staying up too late due to computer use

grid_0.webp

Last edited:
OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I think I will sneak these into a presentation at work and see if anyone notices.

molecular structure high quality realistic rendering
Pz8Vtqm.png

molecular structure being struck by lightning high quality rendering
rk0AEMx.png

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Made a little four part "spirit photography" series in Midjourney. Still getting used to it, but absolutely overwhelmed by the versatility of it. Prompts that I used included below, but I did modify them with some specificities like "black and white" and "film photography."

"We lost everything in the fire, all that remained were ghosts."
FWh_zd-WQAILFPh

"The house was little more than smoke and ash by the time we found it. Our relatives remained, but only their spirits, floating aimlessly through the corridors."
FWh_0jfXgAUCdd6

"It took years to rebuild even a bit of the community we had, but their spirits remained to guide us through the process, clearing the rubble and rebuilding our humble homes from the remains."
FWh_1GiXwAIetUr

"And now our home is chilled by the spirits of our ancestors. Their ghosts walk the halls, the floorboards creaking over our heads, but we find comfort in their presence."
FWh_1skXoAEq9O8

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HWYWFOd.png

I feel like I'm making some decent stuff, but I wanna go more advanced in my prompts. Anyone got any resources for where to see others' advanced prompt-work?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yeah? Most of those images have telltale signs of what I have been calling "AI chaos" that makes them obvious as fakes. Like most tech, especially kind of black box tech like machine learning, my guess is that getting to that last 5% to 10% of progress to where an image will look convincing upon inspection to most people will take a few more years. The only visual AI project I've seen so far that lacks the chaos is that secretive Google project, assuming the images they showed off were legit and not touched up.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
massive lush arboreum inside glass dome on space station orbiting ringed planet, magical atmosphere, complimentary colors, vines, trellises, blooming flowers

0_0.png

0_0.png

lush arboreum, scrollwork, magical atmosphere, complimentary colors, vines, trellises

0_0.png

0_0.png

0_0.png

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Midjourney sub is worth it.

I have two more tries before it runs out
I subbed to the basic at first, but when I realized the sheer amount of variations it takes to get an amazing piece out of the process I realized standard was the way to go and switched. In two days I've already done something like 400 generations. I honestly think it's super worth it and so far so I don't regret it. From both an enjoyment/entertainment perspective and from a creative perspective - already seen so many moods, interesting settings, subjects, and compositions that I'm filing away into an inspiration folder to tap into via other manual forms of art. It's such an amazing creative tool as it can expand your mind's library of conceptual connections that you would not have otherwise stumbled upon.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I subbed to the basic at first, but when I realized the sheer amount of variations it takes to get an amazing piece out of the process I realized standard was the way to go and switched. In two days I've already done something like 400 generations. I honestly think it's super worth it and so far so I don't regret it. From both an enjoyment/entertainment perspective and from a creative perspective - already seen so many moods, interesting settings, subjects, and compositions that I'm filing away into an inspiration folder to tap into via other manual forms of art. It's such an amazing creative tool as it can expand your mind's library of conceptual connections that you would not have otherwise stumbled upon.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.
Thanks
Might try the basic first then I'll upgrade later
Edit: yup I dis basic and run through 100 variations less than an hour.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
S4a0Xma.png

FfXlWec.png

AeVkYI1.png
HWYWFOd.png
9BjRpDx.png

You can put hard breaks between concepts with :: and soft breaks with , and it'll use them differently. Takes some experimentation to understand the impact it'll have.

Like pool of water :: stars, moon, clouds

and add weights as well (default is 0.25) to try and tweak from there. With weights it could be:

Pool of water::1 :: stars, moon, clouds::0.5
I've been trying using the weights a bit but it still spreads colors incorrectly. I'll play with it a bit more to see if I can figure it out.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I ran out of my free trial of Midjourney, I dedicated my last 4 to just really dumb shit:

grid_0.webp

A dark and stormy night. The big-hip man walks down the dilapidated city streets of futuristic Pizzatown. The flatulent goblins, of which there are many, lay in wait to attack, but the poisonous booger rain prevents them from coming out of their underground TGI Fridays home. gothic style.

Kinda wonder at one point the AI jsut started to ignore the prompt, the result was kinda cool looking though.

grid_0.webp

cartoon style picasso style ukiyoe style gothic style cave painting of star trek captain jean luc picard as a cardassian vulcan klingon

For this one I wanted to see if I could mix as many styles as possible. I think the cave painting aspect was probably too powerful as it ended up limiting the color possibilities.

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

Caravaggio painting of an elderly man surprised by his own flatulence surrounded by a very supportive group of multicolor low-polygon alien humanoids wearing weed t-shirts

I tried this twice cause I wanted to see if maybe it would actually give me low-polygon aliens but I think it just didn't know how to interpret it.
V4 from the first batch is the only one to feel like it got the "elderly man surprised by his own flatulence" part

Here's the rest of my attempts:
https://www.midjourney.com/app/ (I didnt know early on that we had a limited number of attempts so I wasted a lot of tries on early memey kinda stuff)

If I were to buy a subscription it would be to see if I could find a way to have the AI generate a new style of art, or just investigate how it works and see how far it can be taken. It's pretty fun though.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Futuristic Manet Series ("Futuristic [X], Manet painting style")

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

Robot cooking five-course meal, Vermeer style
grid_0.webp
grid_0.webp

First attempt at my dream home... Spanish winery villa

grid_0.webp

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Why do we have two different MidJourney art threads now? I thought this one was for Dall-E mini and...non-mini, but now it's a free-for-all. At the least it would be great if people could label what tool they're using.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Futuristic Manet Series ("Futuristic [X], Manet painting style")

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

grid_0.webp

Robot cooking five-course meal, Vaneer style
grid_0.webp
grid_0.webp

First attempt at my dream home... Spanish winery villa

grid_0.webp
Don't you mean Monet and Vermeer?

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I quite like plugging in book descriptions of things.

E.g. IT, which looks much less terrifying than you would think...

an endless, crawling hairy creature made of orange light
agzm6WE.png

[Minas Tirith]

beautiful: white-walled, many-towered, proud and fair upon its mountain-seat; its battlements glittered with steel, and its turrets were bright with many banners.
9Hv8y9r.png

Sgfqmw1.png

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Made this to use on Twitter to show the idiots how we let the government back into our bedrooms.
oIY2Skz.png

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
How are some faces so clear and detailed and other horrific nightmare distortions? Especially of recognizable figures where there must be millions of source images?