• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 30, 2018
Short answer is Yes, Pin 1 DOWN is so you get sound from everything without changing settings, at the exchange of not being able to pass dolby atmos. There's more details in my linked comment earlier but it's a long read.
bless you, truly. that makes total sense and exactly what i was going for, i just totally lack any understanding around all the different surround configs. big codec nerd but anything with the word "dolby" is a jumble in my head.

DeliLo

Nov 27, 2020
Yes, you can get DD+ up to 7.1 with Atmos metadata from the Netflix app, but the youtube app only seems to be able to produce stereo sound, regardless of your setup. But you can do this on regular ARC, you don't need the sharc for it.

In fact, the sharc makes it worse as you'd have to keep changing settings to go from getting DD+ from Netflix to using the youtube app and back.

I don't understand the last part. My bad for not clarifying, wanted to ask if Netflix will play back in DD+ and YouTube in stereo via the SHARC without adjusting any settings. These are the current set up without SHARC on my end now. My main objective of the SHARC is so I can connect my gaming PC to my LGCX and play back 5.1 on my 2014 Denon AVR. The whole thing is moot if I have to manually adjust some thing for different app I use.

Thanks!

May 30, 2018
Short answer is Yes, Pin 1 DOWN is so you get sound from everything without changing settings, at the exchange of not being able to pass dolby atmos. There's more details in my linked comment earlier but it's a long read.
is it expected that my xbox still complains when i try to set it to 7.1 uncompressed with Pin 1 Down?

EDIT: hmm. had to change to passthrough instead of auto based on your big post and then had to restart my tv but i think the XSX is happy with 7.1 uncompressed now.

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
CRAP!
My replacement Zone-2 arrived today, and when I downloaded the newest firmware (1.15) and hooked up the new unit, I noticed that my Zone-2 had 1.17 pre-installed.
The installer doesn't prompt you before it begins flashing, nor is it smart enough to not automatically overwrite a newer firmware with an older one.

Interestingly, this one came with dip switch #1 flipped down (the rest up). My original unit came with all switches flipped up.

Guess I'll have to reach out to customer service again to see what was up with that.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
I don't understand the last part. My bad for not clarifying, wanted to ask if Netflix will play back in DD+ and YouTube in stereo via the SHARC without adjusting any settings. These are the current set up without SHARC on my end now. My main objective of the SHARC is so I can connect my gaming PC to my LGCX and play back 5.1 on my 2014 Denon AVR. The whole thing is moot if I have to manually adjust some thing for different app I use.

In my testing when I plugged in the sharc, I did not find a combination that would allow for both DD+ from Netflix and Stereo sources to produce sound, even Netflix shows with only a stereo track would not play sound. You have to change the LG Audio Out setting to PCM to get sound from stereo sources, but then everything gets downmixed to stereo by the TV.

You are right that without the sharc, using plain Arc from the TV, you get both DD+ and Stereo, but then you cannot pass uncompressed surround from any other source.

The compromise I found works for me is to set the sharc pin 1 down, you don't have to mess with settings when changing sources, you get multichannel PCM from your PC or consoles, but surround sound from Netflix gets send through regular DD, not DD+. For me getting lagless 5.1 PCM from the PS5 is worth the downgrade in Netflix surround.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

New firmware update for the regular SHARC. Version 1.57. Presumably the equivalent to 1.17 that my Zone-2 replacement unit came with, but I unintentionally overwrote with 1.15 because their stupid flasher executable doesn't have a Y/N prompt. 1.17 for the Zone-2 is not yet available for download, and I've yet to hear back regarding the email I sent.

SHARC 1.57 changelog:
  • Some TVs started encoding PCM stereo from eARC resulting in mute condition on some receivers. This can happen e.g. when using TV internal apps such as YouTube stereo. Use DIP switch #1 in down position to support such encoding. Now also supports DD+ and Atmos in down -position.
Sounds like it expressly addresses the dip switch #1 down position thing.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

New firmware update for the regular SHARC. Version 1.57. Presumably the equivalent to 1.17 that my Zone-2 replacement unit came with, but I unintentionally overwrote with 1.15 because their stupid flasher executable doesn't have a Y/N prompt. 1.17 for the Zone-2 is not yet available for download, and I've yet to hear back regarding the email I sent.

SHARC 1.57 changelog:
  • Some TVs started encoding PCM stereo from eARC resulting in mute condition on some receivers. This can happen e.g. when using TV internal apps such as YouTube stereo. Use DIP switch #1 in down position to support such encoding. Now also supports DD+ and Atmos in down -position.

So if I'm understanding this correctly- with the new firmware and dipswitch 1 down, you get DD+, Atmos, and stereo from internal TV apps? Why wouldn't this be the default condition moving forward versus having to manipulate the dipswitch?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm understanding this correctly- with the new firmware and dipswitch 1 down, you get DD+, Atmos, and stereo from internal TV apps? Why wouldn't this be the default condition moving forward versus having to manipulate the dipswitch?

That's my understanding, yes, but I can't test it yet...

FWIW, my replacement Zone-2 came with firmware 1.17 (mostly likely the Zone-2 version of the just-released 1.57 for the regular SHARC) and dip switch #1 set to down (the rest flicked up).

But, I assumed that like my original (and apparently defective Zone-2), the new one came with an obsolete firmware, so I downloaded 1.15 (still the newest one available on their website) and connected my Zone-2, and the updater promptly overwrote the 1.17 firmware that was already in my unit with 1.15. FML.

So now I need to wait for them to either respond to my email, or put the Zone-2 1.17 update on their site.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
because i too was trying to figure out why anyone wouldn't do switch 1 down now. hahaha
Well if nothing else changed the only reason to want pin1 UP would be if it's critical for you to get HD codecs from your blurays through the sharc to your AVR: DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD (both standard and the Atmos-enhanced one).

In any case this is a very welcome development, Pin1 Down should now cover the large majority of use cases with the least amount of hassle. We can make it the official first recommendation for new people coming into the thread: set Pin1 Down

Dec 15, 2017
Well if nothing else changed the only reason to want pin1 UP would be if it's critical for you to get HD codecs from your blurays through the sharc to your AVR: DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD (both standard and the Atmos-enhanced one).

In any case this is a very welcome development, Pin1 Down should now cover the large majority of use cases with the least amount of hassle. We can make it the official first recommendation for new people coming into the thread: set Pin1 Down
I'm assuming with your first statement that you mean bitstream for decoding by the receiver won't pass, but anything decoded by the ps5 will, including hi def codecs on blu rays?

Or do you mean it will be lossy for blu ray and UHD even if set to pcm for ps5 decoding?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone proven this fixes their Atmos/DD lag with XSX?
I don't know what you mean by "proven" but I can confirm that I now have normal audio sync on SX using LPCM 5.1. I have not tried Bitstream DD. With Atmos there is still some lag but it is significantly improved from what I saw before I had the Sharc. Still noticeable enough for me to not use it for gaming. I suspect it's fine when viewing a movie encoded in Atmos but I haven't tested that myself.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
I'm assuming with your first statement that you mean bitstream for decoding by the receiver won't pass, but anything decoded by the ps5 will, including hi def codecs on blu rays?

Or do you mean it will be lossy for blu ray and UHD even if set to pcm for ps5 decoding?
You assume correctly.
I don't have an Atmos setup yet, but I've always assumed that for it to work correctly the AVR, which knows the positions of the speakers in your setup, needs to be the one that looks at the Atmos metadata and render the per-object audio in realtime as it moves in the soundscape.
If you have the PS5 decode the bitstream and send PCM you'd get great quality audio but would lose Atmos, I'm thinking. And if I had a good atmos setup I know I'd want to use it at every opportunity.

As to your second question, if you leave the PS5 to do Bitstream for disc audio, you'll get the lossy core audio track. If you have pin1 Down you want the PS5 to do PCM disc audio decoding.

DeliLo

Nov 27, 2020
In my testing when I plugged in the sharc, I did not find a combination that would allow for both DD+ from Netflix and Stereo sources to produce sound, even Netflix shows with only a stereo track would not play sound. You have to change the LG Audio Out setting to PCM to get sound from stereo sources, but then everything gets downmixed to stereo by the TV.

You are right that without the sharc, using plain Arc from the TV, you get both DD+ and Stereo, but then you cannot pass uncompressed surround from any other source.

The compromise I found works for me is to set the sharc pin 1 down, you don't have to mess with settings when changing sources, you get multichannel PCM from your PC or consoles, but surround sound from Netflix gets send through regular DD, not DD+. For me getting lagless 5.1 PCM from the PS5 is worth the downgrade in Netflix surround.

Hi, can you please try the new firmware and see if now the TV app Netflix will output DD+ instead, together with YouTube stereo without having to toggle the pin. Thank you!

May 30, 2018
i have pin 1 down, coming out of my LG CX into my yamaha. any way to prevent what results in no sound for the first second or so each new episode (like on netflix)? shield had an option for sending silence at all times in between content so it wouldn't do that i think, but not seeing something like that on LG CX. unless i could tweak something on the yamaha to not stop processing signal?

raphaelr

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, can you please try the new firmware and see if now the TV app Netflix will output DD+ instead, together with YouTube stereo without having to toggle the pin. Thank you!
i´m getting DD+ [2/0 channels] for both Netflix stereo (e.g. Arrested Dev S01) and Youtube with the new firmware and pin1 down.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there a helpful guide on exactly what each tiny switch does on the Sharc? Well, mainly Legacy and Resolution.

Also, is the best advice on an LG CX to have the 1 pin down now?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's been mentioned, but a bump for those that missed it might help.

Firmware 1.57 is out and seems to fix that stereo youtube issue:

Version 1.57 Changes:
Some TVs started encoding PCM stereo from eARC resulting in mute condition on some receivers. This can happen e.g. when using TV internal apps such as YouTube stereo. Use DIP switch #1 in down position to support such encoding. Now also supports DD+ and Atmos in down -position.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone had issues with Series X putting HDR games into SDR instead when resuming from standby since installing a Sharc? I don't see how Sharc could be the cause but I didn't notice this behavior until I installed it. When resuming an HDR game the Series X will no longer switch into HDR. I have to exit the game completely and restart it.

Again, not sure how the Sharc could be the culprit but I didn't notice the issue until the day the Sharc was installed and it's been persistent since then.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had issues with Series X putting HDR games into SDR instead when resuming from standby since installing a Sharc? I don't see how Sharc could be the cause but I didn't notice this behavior until I installed it. When resuming an HDR game the Series X will no longer switch into HDR. I have to exit the game completely and restart it.

Again, not sure how the Sharc could be the culprit but I didn't notice the issue until the day the Sharc was installed and it's been persistent since then.

Having this issue with my LG CX and PS5, WITHOUT the SHARC connected. Doesn't happen when waking the PS5 from standby. Seems to happen 100% of the time if my PS5 enters standby due to inactivity. I basically have to reboot the console. I could just try turning the TV off and then on again. (Though, on second thought, that would power down the AVR and PS5 too, thanks to ARC.)

Don't think it's a SHARC issue. I think it's my TV.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Some people were wondering if there were any lipsync specific issues with the sharc. When I did the initial testing I specifically also tried changing the DIP switch for it which is pin 4 between the UP and DOWN positions and there was absolutely no difference.

But this got me thinking that I could also do an indirect test, by changing the LG CX between the GAME picture preset and any other one, like CINEMA, and seeing if the TV adjusts the audio delay along with the extra video delay.
So I tested this using the same rockband method and found that, while video delay goes up by 75ms, audio delay stays exactly the same.
So it doesn't look like eArc auto lipsync is working, or that the TV is adjusting the audio as its video delay changes. I think eArc auto lipsync is supposed to work backwards, when the signal first goes to an AVR that will process the audio part of the signal and send the video signal further down the road.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I've been fairly diligent in refreshing ThenAudio's firmware page to see if the 1.17 companion update for the Zone-2 (to the SHARC's 1.57 update) would go up, but didn't really expect anything to happen on a weekend. Well, at some point, in between refreshes, their CS rep responded to my email letting me know that the 1.17 that my unit shipped with was kind of a beta version, and the real 1.17 firmware update was uploaded to their website.

So, I guess it's time to see if this replacement unit works where the original unit they sent me didn't...

raphaelr

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know/recall what the other dip switches are for, by any chance?
here you go, from the piece of paper that´s included:

1: Legacy Mode
up - ATMOS/DTS:X/TrueHD/DTSMA ok
dn - only support basic formats

2: Resolution
up - Output video 1080p60
dn - Output video 720p60

3: CEC Wakeup
up - Disabled
dn - Enabled

4: Delay
up - eArc dynamic lipsync control
dn - fixed delay 40ms

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
here you go, from the piece of paper that´s included:

1: Legacy Mode
up - ATMOS/DTS:X/TrueHD/DTSMA ok
dn - only support basic formats

2: Resolution
up - Output video 1080p60
dn - Output video 720p60

3: CEC Wakeup
up - Disabled
dn - Enabled

4: Delay
up - eArc dynamic lipsync control
dn - fixed delay 40ms

Much obliged.
Do we actually want CEC disabled, though?

raphaelr

Oct 27, 2017
not sure, i have it disabled (as it is by default), but the CEC functionality of my setup is the same as it was without the sharc.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
The replacement Zone-2 running firmware 1.17 and with dip switch #1 flipped down appears to be working in every possible sense, where the first unit they sent me (running FW 1.15 and with dip switch #1 set in the up position) failed to output any audio whatsoever. Not from the LG's internal streaming apps, the PS5, the Series X, the PS4 Pro, nothing.

I'm still not 100% convinced that it was worth the price, but since I paid it, I'm really fucking happy that I got it working. And all of the second-guessing I had with the first unit melted away when this one worked from the moment I plugged it in and set all of my consoles and devices back to 5.1 PCM. I used a Netflix "test pattern" episode to make sure that all 5.1 signals were getting routed to the right speakers, individually. PS5, Series X, PS4 Pro, and WebOS app. All work as they did before I got the new TV and was forced to use ARC because my old AVR doesn't support eARC or HDMI 2.1 features.

Even YouTube's stereo audio works. What a relief!

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
The replacement Zone-2 running firmware 1.17 and with dip switch #1 flipped down appears to be working in every possible sense, where the first unit they sent me (running FW 1.15 and with dip switch #1 set in the up position) failed to output any audio whatsoever. Not from the LG's internal streaming apps, the PS5, the Series X, the PS4 Pro, nothing.

I'm still not 100% convinced that it was worth the price, but since I paid it, I'm really fucking happy that I got it working. And all of the second-guessing I had with the first unit melted away when this one worked from the moment I plugged it in and set all of my consoles and devices back to 5.1 PCM. I used a Netflix "test pattern" episode to make sure that all 5.1 signals were getting routed to the right speakers, individually. PS5, Series X, PS4 Pro, and WebOS app. All work as they did before I got the new TV and was forced to use ARC because my old AVR doesn't support eARC or HDMI 2.1 features.

Even YouTube's stereo audio works. What a relief!
So the Sharc firmware works on the Zone-2? I assumed not because they seem to have separate releases and Zone-2 doesn't have an update that addresses what 1.17 does. Also, are the patches cumulative? I have no idea what version mine came with so wondering if I could just grab the latest and it would include all the other updates.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So the Sharc firmware works on the Zone-2? I assumed not because they seem to have separate releases and Zone-2 doesn't have an update that addresses what 1.17 does. Also, are the patches cumulative? I have no idea what version mine came with so wondering if I could just grab the latest and it would include all the other updates.

Zone-2 absolutely has its own firmware. Zone-2's 1.17 is the equivalent of the regular SHARC's 1.57. It's just that 1.57 went up like two days before the Zone-2's 1.17. And that's what I was waiting for.

I would NOT attempt to flash a SHARC firmware onto a Zone-2, or vice-versa. I would hope the installer would prevent such a thing from happening, but I wouldn't test it.
It still irks me that the executable doesn't have a Y/N prompt, because my replacement Zone-2 came with an early version of 1.17 on it, and I had no way of knowing that before I ran the 1.15 executable (the newest firmware uploaded to their website at the time), and the damn thing flashed 1.15 over the shipped 1.17 without any additional input from me. Then I had to wait a few days for them to actually release the 1.17 installer.

I would imagine that the updates are cumulative. I never saw any instructions indicating otherwise.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Zone-2 absolutely has its own firmware. Zone-2's 1.17 is the equivalent of the regular SHARC's 1.57. It's just that 1.57 went up like two days before the Zone-2's 1.17. And that's what I was waiting for.

I would NOT attempt to flash a SHARC firmware onto a Zone-2, or vice-versa. I would hope the installer would prevent such a thing from happening, but I wouldn't test it.
It still irks me that the executable doesn't have a Y/N prompt, because my replacement Zone-2 came with an early version of 1.17 on it, and I had no way of knowing that before I ran the 1.15 executable (the newest firmware uploaded to their website at the time), and the damn thing flashed 1.15 over the shipped 1.17 without any additional input from me. Then I had to wait a few days for them to actually release the 1.17 installer.

I would imagine that the updates are cumulative. I never saw any instructions indicating otherwise.
Whoops, my memory was off and I was thinking SHARC was on 1.17 and Zone-2 was on a lower version. My bad, yes, I knew they had different releases which was why I was confused by your post due to thinking 1.17 was SHARC's latest firmware. Bummer that you have to disconnect it from your entertainment system to hook it up to a computer each time you need to update it though. That's a pain in the ass.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops, my memory was off and I was thinking SHARC was on 1.17 and Zone-2 was on a lower version. My bad, yes, I knew they had different releases which was why I was confused by your post due to thinking 1.17 was SHARC's latest firmware. Bummer that you have to disconnect it from your entertainment system to hook it up to a computer each time you need to update it though. That's a pain in the ass.

Ooof, I didn't think of that. Everything appears to be working perfectly at the moment, but this thread has me worrying that things can be a bit... temperamental.
Hopefully, as long as we power everything down (and maybe even unplug it all) before we disconnect it to update it via PC, it won't be an issue.

Dec 15, 2017
You assume correctly.
I don't have an Atmos setup yet, but I've always assumed that for it to work correctly the AVR, which knows the positions of the speakers in your setup, needs to be the one that looks at the Atmos metadata and render the per-object audio in realtime as it moves in the soundscape.
If you have the PS5 decode the bitstream and send PCM you'd get great quality audio but would lose Atmos, I'm thinking. And if I had a good atmos setup I know I'd want to use it at every opportunity.

As to your second question, if you leave the PS5 to do Bitstream for disc audio, you'll get the lossy core audio track. If you have pin1 Down you want the PS5 to do PCM disc audio decoding.
Thanks. I have been having good luck with this new pin 1 down and audio decoding done by the PS5. Much less glitchy now and I am getting everything but Atmos that my receiver isn't capable of anyways.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I have been having good luck with this new pin 1 down and audio decoding done by the PS5. Much less glitchy now and I am getting everything but Atmos that my receiver isn't capable of anyways.

Same. This seems to be the most optimal/versatile setup for folks with older AVRs.
My Series X, PS5, PS4 Pro, and even the LG WebOS native streaming apps are all delivering proper, individualized 5.1 streams when each device is set to output 5.1 Linear PCM signals. And even the WebOS Youtube's stereo signal is working.

Dec 15, 2017
Same. This seems to be the most optimal/versatile setup for folks with older AVRs.
My Series X, PS5, PS4 Pro, and even the LG WebOS native streaming apps are all delivering proper, individualized 5.1 streams when each device is set to output 5.1 Linear PCM signals. And even the WebOS Youtube's stereo signal is working.
Yes it seems to be. The other method of passing bitstream was giving me dropouts and other frustrating issues, so this has been a nice break from constant fiddling to get sound back.

I can now say that the only issues I've had lately is related to the CEC loop because of having my receiver HDMI out to the TV with other devices connected. I can always solve that by switching inputs on the receiver and back again. This will have to do until new 2.1 HDMI receivers with dual outputs are ready.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it seems to be. The other method of passing bitstream was giving me dropouts and other frustrating issues, so this has been a nice break from constant fiddling to get sound back.

I can now say that the only issues I've had lately is related to the CEC loop because of having my receiver HDMI out to the TV with other devices connected. I can always solve that by switching inputs on the receiver and back again. This will have to do until new 2.1 HDMI receivers with dual outputs are ready.

I bought a $30-$40 5-way HDMI 2.0 splitter that supports signals up to 4K/60 FPS WITH HDR to connect all of my legacy devices too (particularly the PS4 Pro, which dropped off my LG CX when the PS5 and Series X arrived), so now not only has my PS4 Pro regained the pseudo-4K + HDR capabilities it briefly had when I got this new TV, but I basically have nothing connected to the AVR other than the SHARC Zone-2.

PS5 connects to the LG's 1st port. Series X to port 3. HDMI switch (supporting the PS3, PS4 Pro, Wii U, and Switch dock) to port 4. And I eARC to my AVR via port 2 and the SHARC Zone-2. This setup is basically perfect until working AVRs with a good 6 or more HDMI 2.1 ports start to hit the market, IMO.

The HDMI switch was a great choice because my PS4 Pro is now maxing out once again, and since nothing else is connected to the AVR, the CEC loops are 100% avoided.

Dec 15, 2017
I bought a $30-$40 5-way HDMI 2.0 splitter that supports signals up to 4K/60 FPS WITH HDR to connect all of my legacy devices too (particularly the PS4 Pro, which dropped off my LG CX when the PS5 and Series X arrived), so now not only has my PS4 Pro regained the pseudo-4K + HDR capabilities it briefly had when I got this new TV, but I basically have nothing connected to the AVR other than the SHARC Zone-2.

PS5 connects to the LG's 1st port. Series X to port 3. HDMI switch (supporting the PS3, PS4 Pro, Wii U, and Switch dock) to port 4. And I eARC to my AVR via port 2 and the SHARC Zone-2. This setup is basically perfect until working AVRs with a good 6 or more HDMI 2.1 ports start to hit the market, IMO.
That is about as good as it gets atm and you really aren't missing out on much of anything with this method.

I unfortunately don't have that option and will have to put up with the CEC loop issue. I have a 1080P projector I'll upgrade to 4k one day soon and my 65"CX (mounted on roller ceiling track so it can move to be used at the same time for different content or just out of the way to use the projector) in the same theatre room that I use with the same set of speakers and components. If I connect everything to my TV, I can't use it on the projector, so I'm stuck.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
That is about as good as it gets atm and you really aren't missing out on much of anything with this method.

Yup. CEC even works just fine, so I switch from the PS5 to PS4 Pro to Series X without any issues.
Visuals and audio are as optimal as can be considering the age of my AVR.
The Zone-2 was the expensive hump to get over. Adding an HDMI 2.0 switch to the setup for around $40, shipped, was a no-brainer.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Are you saying you got some WebOS apps to output PCM 5.1? teach us!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying you got some WebOS apps to output PCM 5.1? teach us!

The WebOS version of Netflix is definitely giving me a 5.1 stream.
I don't know for sure that the WebOS version is linear PCM, per se.

There's a series of "episodes" you can do a search for to test your 5.1/7.1/whatever setup.
I think a search for "test sessions" will pull them up.
Just use the first "episode" and you should know within a minute or two if you're getting a proper 5.1 signal or not.
I redid the test on my PS5, PS4 Pro, Series X, and the WebOS version of Netflix, and got basically identical results across the board.

And those results were noticeably different from what I was getting when I was screwing up the bitstream vs. PCM settings earlier in my testing, or even when originally setting everything up via ARC when I got my new TV back in October.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017

Yep CEC loop is the only annoyance left, you just have to find a way to reliably stop it when it starts. I get it when going into HDMI 3 on the LG, but my fix is to switch to HDMI 2 and a few seconds later when I see "HDMI" light up on the AVRs screen immediately switch back to HDMI 3 and then it works.

I've given it some thought on whether to upgrade the firmware on the sharc or not, seeing as everything is working really great and the only real gain for me would be getting DD+ instead of DD from the Netflix app. I gave watching some 4k blurays a whirl over the weekend and the PS5 decoding of the bitstream into PCM is pretty flawless. I was even surprised at how good the sound quality was. Guess little by little you start getting used to streaming audio quality.
Was also trying to find if there were any lingering lipsync issues when watching discs, and found I only needed to do a really small adjustment of delaying the audio 15ms on the AVR for it to look and feel right. Before the sharc, with the HDMI port not on PC mode and when sending bitstream from the PS5 I was having to delay the audio by as much as 160ms for it to match. I'm not sure how each of those variables contributes but as long as I can get it to match and look right, I also don't particularly care.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017

SHARC 1.57 changelog:

So I dont watch UHD or Blu Rays anymore.

All my movies are from vudu with atmos pr dd+

and I play 7.1 surround sound games on Xbox and some Atmos games

Will the down position make any of those things not true surround sound in the down position?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So I dont watch UHD or Blu Rays anymore.

All my movies are from vudu with atmos pr dd+

and I play 7.1 surround sound games on Xbox and some Atmos games

Will the down position make any of those things not true surround sound in the down position?

My AVR is too old to support Atmos, so it's not something I'd be able to test for you. I'm sorry.