• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
From every indication, Shaq's kids all appear to be well-adjusted and well-cared-for young adults.

What he's saying is a toxic sentiment, yes, but "shouldn't be allowed to raise kids"? Seriously? What are you even trying to say with that? That the State should have forcibly taken Shaq's kids away from him?

I will just say that say that this is a very common mentality among Puerto Rican parents. Oftentimes though, as appears to be the case with Shaq, it's more talk than action. They'll talk a big talk about how you need to move out and start your own life when you turn 18, but then when you turn 18, they don't have the heart to actually throw you out on the streets or anything like that.

So again, not ideal, but also does not rise to the level of "take his kids away from him!"

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
This article seems to have been written in a way to generate outrage...

This sounds like it was a light hearted conversation where Shaq said some things that on paper reads pretty damn bad.

Shaq isn't going to kick his sons to the kerb when they hit 18.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not at all. People here act like you cant make it in life and thats fucking wrong.
no people are saying what you did 17 years ago is irrelevant to things today and it is. You pretending that it's making it in life because you bought a house at the right time is insane because most people now are not going to get that same opportunity.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
no people are saying what you did 17 years ago is irrelevant to things today and it is. You pretending that it's making it in life because you bought a house at the right time is insane because most people now are not going to get that same opportunity.

TODAY sucks. little over a year ago it wasnt like this. Its a sellers market on fire. It will relax. Yes I bought during aa buyers market.

this board acts like we are all fucked in life.We arent..It may not be as easy and things are more expensive but life isnt over for non rich people

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TODAY sucks. little over a year ago it wasnt like this. Its a sellers market on fire. It will relax. Yes I bought during aa buyers market.

this board acts like we are all fucked in life.We arent..It may not be as easy and things are more expensive but life isnt over for non rich people
It was like this a year ago, heck it's been like this for many years and life is getting harder every day for everyone not rich.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In huge areas like NY Houston etc. but not countrywide.

I bought in end of 2017 and got a pretty good price
thing is you already had a house that you paid very affordable rates from 2005, you buying something in 2017 is directly impacted by that. Housing prices from 2005 - 2017 are up where I live over 5 times. If I could have got in at 2005 prices then everything is different. I stand by the fact that people are setup for failure compared to than because of how high prices have got.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
thing is you already had a house that you paid very affordable rates from 2005, you buying something in 2017 is directly impacted by that. Housing prices from 2005 - 2017 are up where I live over 5 times. If I could have got in at 2005 prices then everything is different. I stand by the fact that people are setup for failure compared to than because of how high prices have got.
I feel like it's a waste if time to even attempt to explain and discuss this stuff with people like that poster.

If they can't see what has become a huge and obvious problem, why even bother.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
User Banned (1 week): attempted thread derail
And how many years ago was this? Do you know that he not only apologized to Yao and they are tight now or that Shaq also apologized directly to Yao's parents?

There's also his mocking of a disabled man:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shaquille-oneal-bullies-jahmel-binion_n_5233441

This is more recent. And I put less into apologies that are prompted by public pressure. He has a history of saying/doing, putting it nicely, insensitive shit.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There's also his mocking of a disabled man:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shaquille-oneal-bullies-jahmel-binion_n_5233441

This is more recent. And I put less into apologies that are prompted by public pressure. He has a history of, putting it nicely, saying insensitive shit.
Man some of you are embarrassing. Let's drag every mistake you made in life and make a mountain of it to paint you as an irredeemable piece of shit.

Trying to use stuff like this to "paint a picture of bad character" is just disgusting. How about you watch the actual podcast and hear him talk about how many mistakes he's made in life? Nah can't do that, there is a trial to be held and the prosecution needs to withhold evidence.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He already decided what he wants for his kids based on their genders. Pretty disgusting but I'm not surprised, as I'm sure being a male ex-athlete comes with having keep up the "this is what real alpha males do!" bs. He's an old man that also thinks like a sexist old man. Shaq never seemed like a genuinely good dude, and he's done lots of seriously questionable shit through the years. I wonder if he'd pour buckets of piss and shit on a male that didn't move out at 18.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's sad to me that not even a full page after my post my point has only been proven.

This conversation is now about Shaquille O'Neal and his perceived goodness. And now I see we've entered the "lets dig up every bad thing Shaq has ever done" portion of this oh-so-predictable exercise.

I'd say some of you should be ashamed if I thought you capable of that.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
And if you're going to say every person who makes statements that have some 'ism' attached shouldnt be allowed to raise kids then i hope you enjoy being triggered 24-7. I'm sure you know more about Shaq's parenting skills than his own kids do....
Right now you seem to me triggered than I was when I made a pissed off post. Get over it, I already sad it wasn't a good post. His opinion on how to treat boys and girls is still shit though, that's just a fact.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
He already decided what he wants for his kids based on their genders. Pretty disgusting but I'm not surprised, as I'm sure being a male ex-athlete comes with having keep up the "this is what real alpha males do!" bs. He's an old man that also thinks like a sexist old man. Shaq never seemed like a genuinely good dude, and he's done lots of seriously questionable shit through the years. I wonder if he'd pour buckets of piss and shit on a male that didn't move out at 18.
The man literally says he wants his daughters to stay with him longer so he can teach them to not fall into men who are like he was as a young rich guy.

How is that being patriarchal or toxically masculine, wanting to help them make good decisions? Why is "there's no reason for me to keep my sons at home longer" an indictment?

Ya'll are acting like his sons aren't going to live the lives of rich college kids. Nowhere did he say his sons won't have every single thing in their lives paid for, just that he wants them out living in their own homes.

You're literally ignoring the totality of what was being said. You should all be ashamed for jumping on this.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This cuts on so many levels.

Toxic masculinity.

Black masculinity.

Black fatherhood.

Black boyhood.

Cis male fragility.

Etc

Shaq was raised getting ass whippings and by a very paramilitary father figure. Not saying this to give him a pass but it doesn't shock me that he has a very distorted view on raising a boy to be man. As for his daughters; I'm not gonna knock a black man being there for his daughters no matter what, sorry.

People saying he shouldn't be raising children get a grip. Like who the fuck are you to say that lol. The guy is rich as fuck, I assure you his sons are more than fine.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This cuts on so many levels.

Toxic masculinity.

Black masculinity.

Black fatherhood.

Black boyhood.

Cis male fragility.

Etc

Shaq was raised getting ass whippings and by a very paramilitary father figure. Not saying this to give him a pass but it doesn't shock me that he has a very distorted view on raising a boy to be man. As for his daughters; I'm not gonna knock a black man being there for his daughters no matter what, sorry.

People saying he shouldn't be raising children get a grip. Like who the fuck are you to say that lol. The guy is rich as fuck, I assure you his sons are more than fine.
Respectfully, how is he being at all toxic in this instance? He states a specific reason he wants to keep his daughters at home with him daily for longer than his sons, who he instead wants living outside of the home to start learning different responsibilities. But all of them are going to be living off of his millions with free living, education, and expenses.

I'm just not seeing how you can apply the usual stereotypes to this when he clearly stated his own intentions within personal context.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The man literally says he wants his daughters to stay with him longer so he can teach them to not fall into men who are like he was as a young rich guy.

How is that being patriarchal or toxically masculine, wanting to help them make good decisions? Why is "there's no reason for me to keep my sons at home longer" an indictment?

Ya'll are acting like his sons aren't going to live the lives of rich college kids. Nowhere did he say his sons won't have every single thing in their lives paid for, just that he wants them out living in their own homes.

You're literally ignoring the totality of what was being said. You should all be ashamed for jumping on this.
How is it patriarchal to treat his daughters differently? Is that a serious question?
If his sons are old enough at 18 to live on their own and make decisions for themselves, so are his daughters.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How is it patriarchal to treat his daughters differently? Is that a serious question?
If his sons are old enough at 18 to live on their own and make decisions for themselves, so are his daughters.
I have no issue with the man saying he wants his daughters close to him so he can help them navigate the world of rich guy dating.

Do we really have to make the leap that he is trying to control their lives when he didn't say that? He didn't even say they can't just move out at 18 if they want to do so, man just stated his preference.

Why are we fronting like there isn't such a thing as throwing people to the wolves in certain societal circles? That's all he said he wants to prevent. "Oh so he's saying his daughters are incapable of...", nah he didn't, just that he wants to give them insight from HIS EXPERIENCES as a man who has failed at treating women the right way.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he's rich makes this situation a bit more complex. They most likely won't have to worry about anything money related.

If any of the girls want to move out at 18 are they allowed? will be support that or are they to stay with him to get said support. What if one of the sons isn't ready to live on their own for whatever reason? Will he ignore that?

I can totally get the fact that Shaq is himself a victim of this entire process and he's now perpetuating it. That said the people who advocate for tough love of their sons by making them leave at 18 and people who want to control their daughters will hold Shaq up as an example and they'll point to him for a "good family unit" for the wrong reasons.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The fact that he's rich makes this situation a bit more complex. They most likely won't have to worry about anything money related.

If any of the girls want to move out at 18 are they allowed? will be support that or are they to stay with him to get said support. What if one of the sons isn't ready to live on their own for whatever reason? Will he ignore that?

I can totally get the fact that Shaq is himself a victim of this entire process and he's now perpetuating it. That said the people who advocate for tough love of their sons by making them leave at 18 and people who want to control their daughters will hold Shaq up as an example and they'll point to him for a "good family unit" for the wrong reasons.
The problem is people are making huge leaps based off of what he DIDN'T say. I watched the entire pod, he talks about being a mentor, teaching young men to not be bullies, how his marriage failed solely because of his actions, how he doesn't use the term "baby mama" because he has kids by two wonderful women.

Like, it's really bothering me how we take celebrities and write our own fanfiction on their characters off of a few quotes. In totality he is trying to be a good person.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
how his marriage failed solely because of his actions

Oooh! This is THAT interview!?!?

I've seen this clip on the blogs the last few days.

Yeah, y'all got Shaq fucked up.

If this is that interview, that dumbass Crowder tried to get Shaq to shit on his ex-wife Shaunie, and Shaq literally went out of his way to pause the interview to say, "Nah, Shaunie was a great wife and mother, did everything she was supposed to do. I'm the one who fucked up."

Which...is a BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I have no issue with the man saying he wants his daughters close to him so he can help them navigate the world of rich guy dating.

Sorry but for me as a AFAB this line of thinking is sexist and very old fashioned. Women don't want or need their fathers controlling their love lives (advice/guidance is totally different and doesn't require living together while the boys will be boys). Girls are also allowed to make mistakes and experiment.

Of course this situation is all hypothetical, but talking more in general than Shaq in particular.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Pretty sure boys also have to navigate the world too once they move out. And being a male comes with its own set of challenges. Why is it understandable to you that he does it with his daughters but not his sons?

If it were a case by case basis, and he were doing it based on how mature or ready he deemed his kids to be individually, then yeah. But it's strictly based on gender.

Do we really have to make the leap that he is trying to control their lives when he didn't say that? He didn't even say they can't just move out at 18 if they want to do so, man just stated his preference.
Even if it was him trying to control his daughters lives, and he actually recognized that, why would he just say admit it outright?

Why are we fronting like there isn't such a thing as throwing people to the wolves in certain societal circles? That's all he said he wants to prevent. "Oh so he's saying his daughters are incapable of...", nah he didn't, just that he wants to give them insight from HIS EXPERIENCES as a man who has failed at treating women the right way.

If his daughters moving out at 18 and living on their own is 'throwing them to the wolves' then the same is literally true for his sons.

You can agree with his methods and reasonings if you want but scolding people for saying this is patriarchal or toxic masculinity is dumb.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad to me that not even a full page after my post my point has only been proven.

This conversation is now about Shaquille O'Neal and his perceived goodness. And now I see we've entered the "lets dig up every bad thing Shaq has ever done" portion of this oh-so-predictable exercise.

I'd say some of you should be ashamed if I thought you capable of that.
This happens in pretty much every thread here ever about people. I'm just glad something has been done about it.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is people are making huge leaps based off of what he DIDN'T say. I watched the entire pod, he talks about being a mentor, teaching young men to not be bullies, how his marriage failed solely because of his actions, how he doesn't use the term "baby mama" because he has kids by two wonderful women.

Like, it's really bothering me how we take celebrities and write our own fanfiction on their characters off of a few quotes. In totality he is trying to be a good person.

I believe his intention are good. I never said he's being intentionally bad or anything.

But he is doing this based on gender. You say he doesn't want to throw his daughters to the wolves, but he will with his sons?

You mention "rich guy dating" by that logic shouldn't he be worried about who his sons potentially date?

Again I do believe his intentions are good, but it's that sort of thinking that leads to many people casting their kids out earlier than needed without the financial support.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sorry but for me as a AFAB this line of thinking is sexist and very old fashioned. Women don't want or need their fathers controlling their love lives (advice/guidance is totally different and doesn't require living together while the boys will be boys). Girls are also allowed to make mistakes and experiment.

Of course this situation is all hypothetical, but talking more in general than Shaq in particular.
It is all hypothetical, because in the end all he really said was he wanted to give them advice on dating, and never said they COULDN'T move out.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It is all hypothetical, because in the end all he really said was he wanted to give them advice on dating, and never said they COULDN'T move out.

Yeah and as proved before his sons are very well off (that sneaker collection, I want lol), but the general conversation is interesting

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Pretty sure boys also have to navigate the world too once they move out. And being a male comes with its own set of challenges. Why is it understandable to you that he does it with his daughters but not his sons?

If it were a case by case basis, and he were doing it based on how mature or ready he deemed his kids to be individually, then yeah. But it's strictly based on gender.

Even if it was him trying to control his daughters lives, and he actually recognized that, why would he just say admit it outright?

If his daughters moving out at 18 and living on their own is 'throwing them to the wolves' then the same is literally true for his sons.

You can agree with his methods and reasonings if you want but scolding people for saying this is patriarchal or toxic masculinity is dumb.
I understand from where you are coming. He specifically said he is only giving extra training to his daughters. He just also says later that he supports and loves his sons, and he didn't say ends at 18. He said they can't live with him. That can be seen as an unfair double standard based on gender.

Maybe it is wrong for him to say he has extra things to teach his daughters that he hasn't gotten around to yet. Maybe he feels like his sons are prepared, I don't know he didn't say.

What am I arguing against? The perpetuation of the idea that Shaq just said his sons are "on their own" as soon as they turn 18, and receive no further support. It probably isn't worth it, especially not with you.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand. Can Shaq not give his daughters advice about dating while they live on their own? Do they even want his advice? Ultimately, these are the kids to an insanely rich guy so thry have nothing to worry about but I don't understand this idea that there needs to be special considerations for how you handle men and women as a parent.

If you're raising your sons one way and your daughters another, all that does is promote they shouldn't view each others as equals.

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
Shaqs a dumbass talks to talk sometimes. Those kids will be fine, Shaq has multiple mansions throughout the country. I doubt pops is gonna call security on any one of them if they stay at home.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What am I arguing against? The perpetuation of the idea that Shaq just said his sons are "on their own" as soon as they turn 18, and receive no further support. It probably isn't worth it, especially not with you.
The hell are you talking about? When did I say anything about him not supporting his sons once they moved out? Stop making up shit to argue against.

I was pointing out that you shaming people for saying Shaq's reasonings are patriarchal or toxic masculinity is nonsense. Because that is objectively what they are.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand. Can Shaq not give his daughters advice about dating while they live on their own? Do they even want his advice? Ultimately, these are the kids to an insanely rich guy so thry have nothing to worry about but I don't understand this idea that there needs to be special considerations for how you handle men and women as a parent.

If you're raising your sons one way and your daughters another, all that does is promote they shouldn't view each others as equals.

You don't understand?

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that.

And to be CLEAR, I ain't defending Shaq! It's hilarious to me that I feel the need to say that.

But again, so many people in this discourse are inserting a false shock to function as condemnation.

Have a problem with how Shaq prioritizes sheltering his daughters versus sheltering his sons. I do!

But some of y'all are acting surprised at this gender dynamic, like this comment from Shaq is the first you ever heard of it. And...I'm...I'm shocked at THAT.

Jun 10, 2018
In huge areas like NY Houston etc. but not countrywide.

I bought in end of 2017 and got a pretty good price
No one looking at a through line through a cluster of data would point to the individual data points existing outside of the average as the "standard".

Likewise, recognize your individual accomplishments, while deserving of praise (and I mean that, seriously congrats man!), are not representative of the average American experience. You - and myself as well, as I became a homeowner in 2019 - are a statistical outlier when normalized against the entire US population, and it is unrealistic if not logically faulty to uphold our experiences as the norm for others.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The hell are you talking about? When did I say anything about him not supporting his sons once they moved out? Stop making up shit to argue against.

I was pointing out that you shaming people for saying Shaq's reasonings are patriarchal or toxic masculinity is nonsense. Because that is objectively what they are.
You misunderstand I wasn't saying that was your position, my bad.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing the society and system we are building. Could hardly design a better system to grow inequality and keep rich people rich and poor people poor. Don't raise wages with the cost of corporate greed, inflation, make them a living wage, but keep that same bootstrap mentality. "Just go out and make it on your own and buy a million dollar house to live in just like I didnt!"

Apparently women don't need to learn that or arent capable of that?

Forget what Shaq said. He doesn't even believe his own statement/mantra. As best I can tell his 15 year old daughter is the only child living with him or his ex wife. Everyone else is in college or enjoying their careers.

The rest of us who don't have such outdated views, don't think only boys need to learn these lessons. It applies to all equally.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
So is Shaq full of shit? Because I live in the area and his son definitely had a house/lived off of LSUs campus while he was a student there.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking things would be different for his kids than it would be for regular people. If I had a daughter I would tell her the same thing I tell my son. I don't want to take care of someone my whole life 😂. 18 years not enough?

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
This happens in pretty much every thread here ever about people. I'm just glad something has been done about it.

Yep. Many posters here have zero shame. They're constantly looking for something to feel angry about. It's fucking tiring. Every single day threads are created about some person making some statement that inevitably leads to the same folks claiming said individual shouldn't be allowed to _____.

It's fucking annoying.