• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
In America, the top 1% controls like 30% of wealth and the top 10% control like 80% of wealth. So even if you JUST evened it out a bit in America, that would make a big difference for the average person in terms of free time and financial security, but still not remotely to the point where everyone could focus on being an artist or doing something that fulfills a passion but doesn't pay anything.

Which is better for society, one person getting their dream job through their parents or five people getting an extra day off per week?

I'm more referring to the fact that a lot of jobs can be automated if we chose to go down that path. Or the fact that the majority of office workers spend half their day appearing busy rather than doing any work, due to the concept of the 40 hour work week.

And this is ignoring the fact that there are too many people being underpaid by mega corps, forced to work multiple jobs just to survive.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying your sons hating you for the rest of their lives for not just seeing them as lesser but also deciding to announce it to the whole world too I guess.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved out when I was 18, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Sink or swim.

If you're 18, you better be going to school or working or both, boy or girl regardless. Shaq's old school I guess
It worked for you. There's a 100% chance someone your age and from the same region had their life fall apart because of it. Engine is different and it's not worth taking the risk if someone doesn't feel confident/secure (which seems to be what Shaq is implying).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Even aside from blatant bullshit like this.

The attitude that once we all hit 18 we all have to get out and get our own place our own home. Like if you want to, totally go for it... but otherwise... it doesn't fucking work every single people needing their own home. And its dumb as hell that you can have a family home but not use it.

We need to make multi generational homes a thing in America for so many reasons. This clueless individualism is dumb as hell especially in this late stage capitalism hell hole.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I moved out when I was 18, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Sink or swim.

If you're 18, you better be going to school or working or both, boy or girl regardless. Shaq's old school I guess
What year did you turn 18 and left? Because doing that in today's economic climate is much different than even 20 years ago. Initial jobs barely pay enough to live by yourself and post secondary is getting far too expensive for most people without going into huge debt. That is not to say working hard is not impossible, but just because it worked for you does not mean it will work out for others. Outside of being hard working, luck is a major factor of getting by.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

The attitude that once we all hit 18 we all have to get out and get our own place our own home. Like if you want to, totally go for it... but otherwise... it doesn't fucking work every single people needing their own home. And its dumb as hell that you can have a family home but not use it.

We need to make multi generational homes a thing in America for so many reasons. This clueless individualism is dumb as hell especially in this late stage capitalism hell hole.

This idea comes from when boomer couples could afford homes on a single income, from the days you could practically walk down the street with your resume and get a job starting the next day. Nothing my parents taught me growing up is remotely applicable to modern day life. We've had a generation told the only way to get ahead in life is to engulf yourself in crippling student debt before you can even begin to think about 'adulting' choices like home ownership, child rearing/starting a family. 'Bootstrapping' has been normalized as some bullshit rite of passage, and you're a failed human being if you falter along the way.

Oct 28, 2017
What year did you turn 18 and left? Because doing that in today's economic climate is much different than even 20 years ago. Initial jobs barely pay enough to live by yourself and post secondary is getting far too expensive for most people without going into huge debt. That is not to say working hard is not impossible, but just because it worked for you does not mean it will work out for others. Outside of being hard working, luck is a major factor of getting by.

Snagged a cheap apartment with my gf at the time. We barely made it, but those remain some of the best years of my life there tbh.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Learning personal responsibility, managing a household and handling bills is all part of growing up. That isn't bullshit. My kids are welcome to stay home after graduating college but they will be treated as roommates and have to pay their fair share which will go into an investment account for them.

Oct 26, 2017
Reading his quotes I'm thinking it's as much about him wanting to keep his daughters under his "protection" as it is about him wanting his sons to man up.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure he will pay for his boys to move out and/or college.

He will SEND them to college. He implies his girls can stay home or drive to college. The boys go to dorms etc

I understand in a way of what hes saying. Boys are hard to raise. I just kicked my son out at 18 for the third time. As long as the girls stay respectful to us they can stay longer.

My son did nothing but disrespect us and thought he could yell at his mom with my two young girls home too. Refused to save money. Refused to stay at a job. Gave up on Military etc. Hes doing okay now with a friend and working. He just didnt want to respect us and our home.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Learning personal responsibility, managing a household and handling bills is all part of growing up. That isn't bullshit. My kids are welcome to stay home after graduating college but they will be treated as roommates and have to pay their fair share which will go into an investment account for them.

Agreed. All I asked my boy was to work. clean his room and respect us. He did none of that.

I got 2 girls. As long as they are bettering themselves they can stay.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
This idea comes from when boomer couples could afford homes on a single income, from the days you could practically walk down the street with your resume and get a job starting the next day. Nothing my parents taught me growing up is remotely applicable to modern day life. We've had a generation told the only way to get ahead in life is to engulf yourself in crippling student debt before you can even begin to think about 'adulting' choices like home ownership, child rearing/starting a family. 'Bootstrapping' has been normalized as some bullshit rite of passage, and you're a failed human being if you falter along the way.

i know posting meme macros in 2022 is passe but if i could find that Old Economy Steve one about being a home owner at 22 i would

my parents had their first home *custom built* in their early 20s, and they were hardly what you'd consider "middle class" even adjusting for inflation

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
It feels like Shaq says stuff like this all the time. Remember when he acted like he was a flat earth-er for a year? I think he's trolling imo

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
i know posting meme macros in 2022 is passe but if i could find that Old Economy Steve one about being a home owner at 22 i would

my parents had their first home *custom built* in their early 20s, and they were hardly what you'd consider "middle class" even adjusting for inflation

My parents bought their home for $75k back in 1979, my father being a prison guard and my mother a secretary. I, as a single person in 2002, bought mine for $300k and where I'm from was considered 'lower cost housing' back then.

'One of these things is not like the other'

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017

I had my own house 6 months after highschool working as an Electrician with my wife delivering pizzas , going to college full time , and raising my son she later adopted.

We paid for her college every year as well. I made roughly 9-11$ an hour for 2 years until I became a journeyman making 14-17

It took her 7 years to finish her degree and become a teacher and Ive stayed in my field and company. Weve owned 3 homes and have 3 kids.

2005 is when we got our first home at 19 for 55k.

Yes it depends on where you live but Im tired of hearing people say it cant be done , college cant be paid for etc. It can. Yes I had two income but I also had a kid to raise etc.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I had my own house 6 months after highschool working as an Electrician with my wife delivering pizzas , going to college full time , and raising my son she later adopted.

We paid for her college every year as well. I made roughly 9-11$ an hour for 2 years until I became a journeyman making 14-17

It took her 7 years to finish her degree and become a teacher and Ive stayed in my field and company. Weve owned 3 homes and have 3 kids.

Yes it depends on where you live but Im tired of hearing people say it cant be done , college cant be paid for etc. It can. Yes I had two income but I also had a kid to raise etc.

And do you believe you'd have achieved any of that starting in 2022?

For the record, I paid off my schooling and bought a house on one income in 2002( as said above), and there's no way in hell I'd have done that at any point over the last decade. The 'it can be done' depends as much on time as it does place amidst a whole lot of other subjective and individual circumstances, and there's no way I'd assume that 'you can do it too' because of shit I did 20 years ago, let alone what my parents did 40 years ago.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
And do you believe you'd have achieved any of that starting in 2022?

For the record, I paid off my schooling and bought a house on one income in 2002( as said above), and there's no way in hell I'd have done that at any point over the last decade.

Maybe a house THIS year would be insane but 2020 and before? yes.

On a single income? No. Todays society needs two incomes and renting before first house in many cases. People need to learn goals and saving money

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe a house THIS year would be insane but 2020 and before? yes.

On a single income? No. Todays society needs two incomes and renting before first house in many cases. People need to learn goals and saving money

I could also say 'well yeah, what I did in 2002 I could do in 2020' without having to proof whether I actually could. I'm under no delusions I would be able to, and likely not even with my wife of 10 years. And I've always been a fairly financially prudent individual.

Nov 4, 2017

Lol, Old Economy Steve is one of my favourite memes ever. "Drops out of high school; gets job, buys home, retires at 60 with full pension", "Gets laid off, finds new job on way home". The game really has changed.

I had to move out of home at 18 to... Well, survive. I was always so conscious of the advantages my friends with stable, supportive homes enjoyed. When my wife and I moved in together, she had so much more money than me despite the fact that I had been working full time for several years, because I had been paying rent and bills (and drinking like a fish to self medicate, yay) while she had been living with her (awesome) parents while studying and working part time.

My son and daughter can live with me for as long as they want. We are even planning to raise our house to build more rooms and a second living area downstairs. It will give my in-laws somewhere safe to live when they get old and need help, and then somewhere for my kids to live their own lives without worrying about housing prices etc when they grow up.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Yeah, fuck me for getting triggered by a statement that to me sounded sexist and abusive. Boys gotta go, girls can stay as long as they want? The only reason to treat children differently should be their individual needs, not their gender.
"Men are strong, need to make it on their own, women are delicate flowers, need to be protected by men" is a shitty attitude, you can hardly argue against that.

Then how about YOU take ownership and not get as you say 'triggered' by something so innocuous as this of all things. I could say since you're so easily 'triggered' that YOU shouldn't have children. Would that he fair??

As a father of two, one need patience to be a parent and not assume the worst of your child. A parent needs to allow them room to hold and ideas/beliefs they may disagree with without humiliating or condemning said child. You did just the opposite here with a statement of a STRANGER.

So yea, this is on YOU.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

It's pretty amazing the society and system we are building. Could hardly design a better system to grow inequality and keep rich people rich and poor people poor. Don't raise wages with the cost of corporate greed, inflation, make them a living wage, but keep that same bootstrap mentality. "Just go out and make it on your own and buy a million dollar house to live in just like I didnt!"

Apparently women don't need to learn that or arent capable of that?

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
My male children all became insufferable to live with! Hm, if only there was any explanation for this at all. Oh well, it's not like it reflects on my parenting or anything. I guess it's a mystery! Boys will be boys.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
My male children all became insufferable to live with! Hm, if only there was any explanation for this at all. Oh well, it's not like it reflects on my parenting or anything. I guess it's a mystery! Boys will be boys.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theres only so much parents can do. An 18 year old can control themselves.

His kids will be fine and never want for anythinf

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I didn't moved out, now I'm 26 with 0 debt and lots of savings.

If I said "I want to rent a cheap place and struggle for my college years" my family would call me insane

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me, coming from the guy who said this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3h4jJj1sAQ

And how many years ago was this? Do you know that he not only apologized to Yao and they are tight now or that Shaq also apologized directly to Yao's parents?

Enjoying your sons hating you for the rest of their lives for not just seeing them as lesser but also deciding to announce it to the whole world too I guess.

He and his kids seem to have a great relationship. His oldest has his last All-Star MVP trophy and outside of this regrettable comment he made here his track record for doing good to others and his children is out there.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
User Banned (1 week): attempted thread derail
Not to cause some ish, but he was fired from Shakira's new TV show (coming out this Summer, I think) for sexually harrassing an employee on a hot mic. People are even saying it might have been Shakira, as she unexpectedly deleted him from all social media, after posting a video with him a couple days before. He was replaced by Nick Jonas.

These toxic men behaviours are vile.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Then how about YOU take ownership and not get as you say 'triggered' by something so innocuous as this of all things. I could say since you're so easily 'triggered' that YOU shouldn't have children. Would that he fair??
I don't see how his statement is innocuous, it's patriarchal, sexist bullshit. And that's the last thing I'll say on this.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You may be tired of hearing that but it's true and it was way before 2020 to buy a home for the vast majority of people considering your talking about 17 years ago for buying a house at an affordable price but I know where I live prices skyrocketed since 2006 and have made it very hard for most people to buy houses especially if they didn't own one before.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I don't see how his statement is innocuous, it's patriarchal, sexist bullshit. And that's the last thing I'll say on this.

And if you're going to say every person who makes statements that have some 'ism' attached shouldnt be allowed to raise kids then i hope you enjoy being triggered 24-7. I'm sure you know more about Shaq's parenting skills than his own kids do....

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
You may be tired of hearing that but it's true and it was way before 2020 to buy a home for the vast majority of people considering your talking about 17 years ago for buying a house at an affordable price but I know where I live prices skyrocketed since 2006 and have made it very hard for most people to buy houses especially if they didn't own one before.

Hell, as I said earlier I bought my house on a single salary at USD equal $300k back in 2002. The current market value is a bit north of $650k, and the average cost of a house where I live is close to $800K. If my wife and I came along TODAY, right at this moment, it's not likely we'd be able to buy my house on two incomes, let alone the 'average' house in my country. The loan conditions that were available to me 20 years ago no longer are combined with the explosion in housing prices.... there's tons of circumstances involving how/when/where/why.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Something I tend to dislike about when celebrities become the "face" of these larger social conversations, is that the more famous they are (and if they're a minority? Chile...), the more they dwarf the larger conversation, and it becomes ABOUT them. We make it about the celebrity, and lose the fact that the celebrity is a person...oftentimes exhibiting largely accepted social attitudes, because fame or not they were raised on this same planet.

Like, do not mistake me as defending Shaq here, as I think his words deserve criticism. But there are a lot of people in this thread treating Shaq's comments as some uniquely toxic behavior he's displaying. And, frankly, I wanna know what version of Earth y'all were raised on because I want to be teleported there.

Because, the idea that girls stay home until they are married off; and boys leave the nest ASAP to build nests of their own is an idea as old as time and transcends any specific culture.

There's a reason why Shaq talks about his boys this way: because that was likely how he was raised.
There's a reason why he felt comfortable saying this in an interview: because he assumed (likely correctly) that most people hearing this would understand and sympathize with his viewpoint.
Most people will understand and sympathize with his viewpoint, because unfortunately this lopsided expectation we as a socieTEA have of boys versus girls (when it comes to self-reliance) is normalized.
Shaq likely believes that what he's saying about how he treats his boys is an example of good parenting; and we live in a society that will largely affirm that.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

What you did in 2005 is irrelevant.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Something I tend to dislike about when celebrities become the "face" of these larger social conversations, is that the more famous they are (and if they're a minority? Chile...), the more they dwarf the larger conversation, and it becomes ABOUT them. We make it about the celebrity, and lose the fact that the celebrity is a person...oftentimes exhibiting largely accepted social attitudes, because fame or not they were raised on this same planet.

Like, do not mistake me as defending Shaq here, as I think his words deserve criticism. But there are a lot of people in this thread treating Shaq's comments as some uniquely toxic behavior he's displaying. And, frankly, I wanna know what version of Earth y'all were raised on because I want to be teleported there.

Because, the idea that girls stay home until they are married off; and boys leave the nest ASAP to build nests of their own is an idea as old as time and transcends any specific culture.

There's a reason why Shaq talks about his boys this way: because that was likely how he was raised.
There's a reason why he felt comfortable saying this in an interview: because he assumed (likely correctly) that most people hearing this would understand and sympathize with his viewpoint.
Most people will understand and sympathize with his viewpoint, because unfortunately this lopsided expectation we as a socieTEA have of boys versus girls (when it comes to self-reliance) is normalized.
Shaq likely believes that what he's saying about how he treats his boys is an example of good parenting; and we live in a society that will largely affirm that.

I think the initial point you make about celebrity is relevant, especially on forums such as this. Like you said, the content of what shaq is saying deserves criticism but damn, why does every single time a celebrity say something mean they are deserving of the type of condemnation being levied here.

I'm convinced some people just enjoy finding a reason to be mad all
Of the time.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can feel it in my BONES that this is mostly about them getting dicked down at college.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember one day on the bus, this one dude got up and started talking about how not forcing 18 year olds out of the house to be independent was destroying the country, he then proceeded to sing some religious song and ask for money.