• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I have the physical switch version preordered, along with the plush. Don't know if I'm gonna wait it out or double dip. I do love me some Shantae though!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well I don't know about you lol but I'm extremely excited! I love the Shantae games and already have the physical copies preordered as well as the Switch digital preorder ready to go. I just need PS4's digia version to go live on release date.

I was gonna make an OT but I see that someone had already claimed it so I with them well!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Played it a bit with the Apple Arcade and honestly I just didn't feel it, maybe with proper control I'd be much better.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I had no idea lol. But I enjoyed Pirate's and half genie hero (a little less, but still liked it). Looking forward to getting to this eventually.

I do think the Apple Arcade release was a mistake, but who could have known.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, it feels like there's a weird lack of hype for this when it's actually a pretty big deal in the 2D platformer scene. Shantae is a fantastic series and I'm hyped over the moon for Seven Sirens.

I wonder if it has something to do with the game already having been released in two parts on Apple Arcade? But I can't imagine very many Shantae fans played it on that platform, if only because the controls were awful due to its nature as a mobile game.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
1/2 Genie Hero was disappointing because it was a mediocre game, not because it was too linear. Accordingly I can't say I'm all that interested in the series anymore. Shantae was exciting back when metroidvanias were an endangered species, but now there are probably a dozen exemplars that are better than Shantae ever was.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I cant seem to get excited for this game even if im going to play it day one, its like Half Genie Hero killed all my love for the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I really liked half genie hero, and the soundtrack definitely contributed to that. Shame Jake Kaufman isn't doing this one. I'll have to watch a few videos and have a good listen before even thinking of picking this up at full price.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a digital-only release, or is it coming to retail as well?
It'll almost certainly be available at Best Buy, but it's not 100%. Limited Run Games is taking preorders for physical releases on the Switch and PS4.

I'm a fan of the series and am looking forward to this one. My potential level of hyped-edness is throttled just 'cause it'll be months until I get my copy from LRG.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Reading about the apple arcade release is worrisome, game seems to be just reaching ok.

HGH was alright. Pirate's curse was great. I'll wait until I read reviews.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be there day 1. It's launching in a crowded week so I don't know if I'll play it right away, but I'll be buying it for sure.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Looking forward to it. Just finished Pirate's Curse a few minutes ago, actually. A lot of fun.

Also Half-Genie Hero isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but I do agree it's not as good as Pirate's Curse.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I generally find the Shantae series to be just ok games, so I've always waited to get them until later after release when they're cheaper. There's no doubt I'll get this eventually, but losing the composer is unfortunate. The HGH ost had some fantastic tracks in it (Mermaid Factory slaps hard).

Oct 26, 2017
If it's on par or even close to as good as the Pirate's Curse, I'm down. Only issue is that it's coming out too close to Xenoblade Chronicles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking (way) forward to it coming out, but I'd love to have Mighty Switch Force 3 more than another Shantae at the moment. Glad it's going back to more generally-desired mechanics, but still want MSF3.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just finished - and enjoyed - 1/2 Genie Hero a couple of weeks ago.
Still need to get back to the older titles, but a more Metroidvania structure would greatly be appreciated. 1/2GH had a weird structure with lots of replaying the same short levels over and over.

Weird how part 1 of this game has been out for so long, but there are almost no impressions or reviews. Hopefully it's good.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
The Apple Arcade release has killed my hype. Will probably wait for a sale since Shantae tends to go on sale a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Waiting for reviews here.

I will probably get it anyway, I even liked 1/2 Genie Hero despite of its simplistic formula. If WayForward manages to follow Pirate's Curse structure appropriately then we will have something truly special.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm still wondering if I should buy the physical edition or not. Love Shantae, I'm glad they're going back to the Metroidvania aspect.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I really liked half genie hero, and the soundtrack definitely contributed to that. Shame Jake Kaufman isn't doing this one. I'll have to watch a few videos and have a good listen before even thinking of picking this up at full price.

OOF, jake kaufmann was one of the biggest reason i played these games... welp... Still gonna play it but man that's disappointing... hopefully the new composer delivers

Last edited:

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I enjoyed 1/2 Genie Hero and got it at launch, but the amount of DLC that was later bundled really bummed me out. I mean, the price of the DLC was the same (or actually higher?) than the base game. I'll wait for a bundled version this time, but I'll be there.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
HGH was ok at best, losing Jake Kaufman hurts, and I'm kinda done with the sexualisation of the entire female cast.

I'll pick this up eventually but probably on sale.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
1/2 Genie Hero was disappointing because it was a mediocre game, not because it was too linear. Accordingly I can't say I'm all that interested in the series anymore. Shantae was exciting back when metroidvanias were an endangered species, but now there are probably a dozen exemplars that are better than Shantae ever was.
I only know Monster Boy. Shantae (and Monster Boy) are Zelda alike and not metroidvania. Aka overworld + dungeons.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see, perhaps it doesn't translate as well for me. It's just not as aesthetically pleasing to me as the Pirate's Curse.

And to clarify, I'm ok with non pixel art games as well, some games have spectacular non pixel art style, even when 2d. But for this particular franchise, imo, it looked much better before, when the pixels were more evident.
I agree. Visually this series has had a notable step down after Pirate's Curse. I still enjoyed Half Genie Hero, though, so I will get the latest game at some point.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I had completely missed the fact this release was coming up.
I kinda need this, have a certain coming of age doctors appointment that day I'm not too excited about that day. At least something to look forward to.

Kinky Kong

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the "I had no idea it's coming so soon" camp. Definitely feels like there's no hype at all.
I love Shantae but haven't played 1/2 genie hero yet, even though I have it on my Switch. A little bit cautious about that game because Internet told me it's more like 1/4 genie hero.
Will support the series in any case - Pirate Curse was amazing.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Huge Metroidvania fan, but have no interest in this game or series due to the objectified female character designs. Wont support devs who make those decisions.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I'm actually a lot more excited for this one than I was for HGH simply because of how good Pirate's Curse was by building off the assets created for Risky's Revenge. I kind of figured HGH was more like a "Shantae beta", just a test of what their new engine could do and look like, and then a sequel would come later to REALLY push it to the max. And it feels like Seven Sirens is doing exactly that. So many new characters, abilities, the game looks like it plays much faster. I'm really excited to see what they do (but the lack of virt REALLY hurts).

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'll definitely check it out once it hits the $5 -10 dollars range, with it being on a very cheap subscription service for months I don't think the price will hold up for much time honestly

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The early Apple Arcade release really messed with their PR cycle, and every major PR opportunity of the last couple months getting canned doesn't help.

HGH's stage based, kickstarter driven piecemeal game design also didn't light anyone's world on fire, even among the people who liked it for what it was, so SSS has a hill to climb to reestablish the series' credentials.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've been waiting forever since Shantae 5 was announced. Then the title was revealed along with it being on Apple Arcade. Then I got a little sad about that since I really don't want to give Apple any subscription money (and only have the one device it would work on anyway) and then... it was only the first half?

The only solace form the Part 1 thing was that it would eventually come to consoles and Steam like it should. I've got the Switch version preordered after hemming and hawing over to get it digitally (which I did) or preorder the LRG version for the soundtrack and steelbook.

Yeah, it feels like there's a weird lack of hype for this when it's actually a pretty big deal in the 2D platformer scene. Shantae is a fantastic series and I'm hyped over the moon for Seven Sirens.

I wonder if it has something to do with the game already having been released in two parts on Apple Arcade? But I can't imagine very many Shantae fans played it on that platform, if only because the controls were awful due to its nature as a mobile game.
It wasn't just "mobile" it also works on the AppleTV and you can use a controller for it regardless. I'm hoping that's not the impression some people got of it, but I somehow feel like that's how it went.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably says more about Apple Arcade usage than the game itself.

I'm hoping the news this week is positive then I'll pick up a copy from LRG.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Really liked riskys revenge on pc and pirates curse on 3ds so backed half genie hero and was pretty disapointed. Was way too linear and didn't like the graphics much.

Would much much prefer a new mighty switch force or something.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played some of it on Apple Arcade, but knowing it was only half done I put it down pretty quick intending to play it later. I liked what I did play though, so I'll probably go ahead and pick it up (I think I'd rather play it on console anyway).