• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Crushes Labor Day Weekend Records With $94 Million

Marvel's "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" capped off Labor Day weekend at the box office with a bang.
Marvel's "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" capped off Labor Day weekend at the box office with a bang. The superhero action adventure, starring Canadian actor Simu Liu, had an even bigger debut than expected, collecting $90 million in its first four days of release and setting a new high watermark for the holiday weekend.

Since Labor Day is traditionally a slow weekend at the box office, the film's three day total of $75.5 million from 4,300 theaters blew past previous the record set by 2007's "Halloween" and its $30.6 million start. Despite concerns the delta variant would keep audiences at home, "Shang-Chi" notched the second-biggest opening weekend of the pandemic, behind only "Black Widow" with $80 million. Impressively, it ranked ahead of Universal's "Fast & Furious" sequel "F9" ($70 million) and Paramount's "A Quiet Place Part II" ($48 million), both of which opened earlier in summer at time when COVID-19 looked like it might eventually abate.
At the international box office, "Shang-Chi" amassed $56.2 million in key markets such as France, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and Japan. The film doesn't have a release date in China, which is an important territory for Marvel movies. Globally, "Shang-Chi" has made $146.2 million so far.

"'Black Widow' showed what a Marvel movie can do in pandemic conditions, and that release had the additional burden of a streaming option," says David A. Gross. "For Marvel, 'Shang-Chi' is a creative departure, and at a cost of over $150 million, the results are very good."
Unlike "Black Widow," which debuted simultaneously on Disney Plus, "Shang-Chi" is playing only in theaters for its first 45 days of release before it lands on-demand. Disney CEO Bob Chapek called its theatrical-only release an "interesting experiment" and indicated its ticket sales would influence plans for future releases, such as "Eternals," which is scheduled for Nov. 5.

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
Good-ass movie, dug the hell out of it. Honestly might be top-tier MCU for me after I sit and think about it for a little longer. It deserves all its success and more, especially for actually trying something somewhat new and fresh with the formula.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Happy it is doing well

I wanted to be part of those numbers but totally not safe to go to theaters where i live =/

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yes, the vaunted box office run of Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
5d350bd12600004900045083.jpeg

You love to see it! Hopefully we'll see a sequel greenlit pretty soon.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just posted about this.

Happy to see its a success with so much to deal with right now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Where are all the thinkpieces about how PoC are holding up american cinema?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. I didn't expect it to do well thanks to the pandemic but I'm happy for the cast.

Whenever it and Spidey are out on D+ I will watch them day one.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more curious of what the drop off will be.

This will not suffer the same fate that Black Widow did. The early signs are already to give us an idea that this will have decent/good legs. I'd be surprised if it drops more than 55% next weekend(BW dropped 67.8%). But I think even blow 50 is possible.

May 10, 2018
Glad it's doing well. My only complaint about the movie is that some of the CGI stood out in a bad way.

The finale of the film was pretty damn good to me. Wasn't expecting it.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, the spin from certain alt-right clickbait youtubers is going to be amusing.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly glad to hear this is doing well, easily my favorite mcu movie since infinity war

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely in the upper echelon of superhero films and so well deserved in my book. Honestly deserves more but we're in a pandemic still so I get it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Spidey hits VOD, then Netflix and then D+.

Oof. That's a weird release plan. Netflix it is, then. I just can't justify going to theatres while the pandemic is up, sadly. Even vaccinated, I just don't trust people. I'm super happy for Simu though, I'm so glad he's been vindicated.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Oof. That's a weird release plan. Netflix it is, then. I just can't justify going to theatres while the pandemic is up, sadly. Even vaccinated, I just don't trust people. I'm super happy for Simu though, I'm so glad he's been vindicated.

If you can take a small chance, I think it's pretty likely that there are going to be some nearly empty showings a few weeks after the movie comes out on a random weekday. Saw The Suicide Squad with like three people total in the theater!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually does like Zombie's movies, particularly 2, to some degree.... hard no to this my man.
I actually like Zombie's Halloween series, but I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this.
I mean slashers are kind of a dead genre, so there isn't much competition out there, but I can't think of another that is just so damn horrifically traumatic as H2 is.

There's a specific death later in the film, I think only in the director's cut that is fucking harrowing, and the cast really sells the material. Not like the bar is very high, but the performances are all perfect for the material.

Zombie also does an interesting job bringing Laurie trauma to the spotlight. That aspect isn't explored in the genre too much, but the her depression and downward spiral is very established and very difficult to watch. Again, it comes down to the strong acting.

I haven't read the leaks, but supposedly Halloween Kills gets quite violent. I hope that's the case after how lame 2018 was.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
My first theater experience since Far From Home and I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. Happy it's doing well.