• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
i mean to be fair, they gave her character a whole arc and she came full circle. This IS still a Shang Chi movie at the end of the day.

and more scenes with her and her dad doesnt make a ton of sense based on Wenwus feelings about her. He only truly changes his ways at the very end which is too late anyways

True and I guess her relationship with her dad and her family as a whole is part of the reason why she still decides to continue dealing in underworld/shady stuff as she takes control of the Ten Rings org. At least that's how I take it.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think even Mjölnir/shield Cap would win in the end.

Would really enjoy a death battle scene of the two. If i had to guess it would be that Shang Chi would slightly edge out Cap within striking distance due to the may combos he can linkup with the ring. I feel Cap would do better outside of striking distance because his shield could block the ring's energy projections, and i do not believe Shang Chi could block the lightning and Mjolir.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
E-w2kVNXIAMDIeb

I'm dead..

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
I liked the movie a lot, though I hope a future sequels introduces the spionage background of comics Shang Chi. I always thought it made him more special, because unlike every other spy in the Marvel universe, Shang always tries to uphold his strong moral convictions despite the murkiness and brutality of the spy works.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. That was... fine? Good choreography, good music, good performances, but CG that was sometimes distracting and a story that was very underwhelming. Especially after I heard praise for the villain - to discover that his whole deal in this movie is just like a misunderstanding was very disappointing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes this movie was so good, Top 2 MCU origin movie easily, and we can add Wenwu as another good Marvel villain to the list. Also that 3rd act was crazy af in the best of ways

And god the fights delivered so hard, I'm glad I went in blind for the bus scene, goodness that was amazing. The rings also make for some really dope choreography, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of them in the future. And just more Shang-Chi in general, wasn't expecting him to come out that powerful by the end of the movie, and I'm very interested in the presumed hook for the sequel as someone that doesn't read the comics.

Overall, Simu Liu has a very bright future ahead of him, and Phase 4 of the MCU continues to kill it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
caught it tonight, first time being back in a cinema since last march. very weird feeling.

but i enjoyed the hell out of the film. melded a lot disparate elements quite well while hewing to the marvel formula in a way. cool visuals/set pieces and just an incredibly easy/relatable character to root for. glad it did well.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liked it but felt like I would've liked it better if the soul eaters weren't such a big part of the climax. Would have just liked the climax to be like, Shang against his father, aunt against trainer guy, and sister against sword dude. Gives more for the characters to do in that final act (and it felt weird the trainer dude just gets randomly picked off given his participation in of Shang Chi's trauma).

How he defeated the soul eater prime was pretty cool though.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Liked it but felt like I would've liked it better if the soul eaters weren't such a big part of the climax. Would have just liked the climax to be like, Shang against his father, aunt against trainer guy, and sister against sword dude.

That wouldnt make any narrative sense. Would literally have to write a whole nother movie

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That wouldnt make any narrative sense. Would literally have to write a whole nother movie

Yes, I didn't mean to literally not change any other aspect as well.

Something as simple as just keeping Soul Eater Prime (keeping intact most of Shang Chi and his father's stuff) and ditching the little ones lets the Ten Rings vs Village plot actually play out rather than nearly immedietely be abandoned and gives people like Michelle Yeoh something to actually do in the film. Not like the Ten Rings switching sides really added much, unless people were really invested in the character development of a dude named Razor Fist (who doesn't even end up doing anything cool in the finale).

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something as simple as just keeping Soul Eater Prime (keeping intact most of Shang Chi and his father's stuff) and ditching the little ones lets the Ten Rings vs Village plot actually play out rather than nearly immedietely be abandoned and gives people like Michelle Yeoh something to actually do in the film. Not like the Ten Rings switching sides really added much, unless people were really invested in the character development of a dude named Razor Fist (who doesn't even end up doing anything cool in the finale).

still doesnt make alot of narrative sense as the whole concept of the soul eater is he gets stronger from souls fed to him by the smaller ones. Believe it or not, everything in this movie has narrative purpose, so removing things would mess things up. This movie didnt play out how u wanted it to, it is what it is. But saying things like "i wish this would have been omitted so this could happen" just doesnt work when everything is serving the narrative or characters within the narrative.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
still doesnt make alot of narrative sense as the whole concept of the soul eater is he gets stronger from souls fed to him by the smaller ones. Believe it or not, everything in this movie has narrative purpose, so removing things would mess things up

Plot does not equal narrative. The rules of giant cgi monsters aren't really narratively interesting or precious to the story.

The only narrative importance of the soul eaters is the big'un, because it compels Wengwu to give up the rings in the end. Everything else about them is pretty unimportant.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Plot does not equal narrative. The rules of giant cgi monsters aren't really narratively interesting or precious to the story.

The only narrative importance of the soul eaters is the big'un, because it compels Wengwu to give up the rings in the end. Everything else about them is pretty unimportant.

actually no, they also serve as the backbone to the whole reason the village is the way it is and why the great protector exists and the reason for needing so much dragonscale.

it also ties in to how Wenwu's daughter was able to take over the 10 rings as they arent just bad guys that are bad just to be bad.

so you're wrong

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
actually no, they also serve as the backbone to the whole reason the village is the way it is and why the great protector exists and the reason for needing so much dragonscale.

so you're wrong

???

There'd still be a giant world ending threat 100 feet away from the village.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
???

There'd still be a giant world ending threat 100 feet away from the village.

I mean, them having so much dragon scale isnt really helping alot against just that big bad as that big bad would have been able to wipe the floor with that village if it was just him. the great protector is there because of the big bad. the dragon scale is for the little ones.

sure, this movie would have been perfect if there were no soul eater creatures and the village and 10 rings kept fighting until shang chi killed the big bad and then 10 rings be like "oh ok we give up" rofl

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I enjoyed this a lot. I think, like most marvel movies, it would've been better had the ending just been fights between the already established characters rather than a CGI-fest, but it was certainly more forgivable here than it was in black widow, Spiderman ffh, etc.

watching this movie after black widow was a breath of fresh air, and it's won me back over a bit after not liking most of the phase 4 stuff so far

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
This was a very good movie

probably I'm gonna eat a lot of my words regarding phase 4 lol

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So David Chen (Filmcast) and Walter Chaw (filmfreakcentral) talk about the movie and their different perspectives as Asian Americans.

It's an interesting conversation and worth listening to.

For posterity, Dave liked the movie and Walter did not

ive never liked Walter chaw's takes mostly, and now I know why. He definitely has alot of Self hate going on judging from that podcast. Tho I understand some of his criticism, but holy shit hes got alot of internal self hate issues and insecurities, which he acknowledges

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Really blindsided by how awesome the Ten Rings were.

Like, their sound design team are so fucking talented, really believed their weight and power

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Dragonscale is probably bulletproof, right? Shang-Chi is bulletproof.

This was something that kind of disappointed me. First they say that Shang Chi's shirt is made of dragon scale which is really freaking cool. But then they don't elaborate at all on if it acts as a protective armor or something like that.

Would have been nice to throw a quick line in there about how special it is defensively. All we know about it so far is that offensively it can be used to kill soul suckers.

Oct 25, 2017
So David Chen (Filmcast) and Walter Chaw (filmfreakcentral) talk about the movie and their different perspectives as Asian Americans.

Thanks for posting this. I gave it a listen last night and there's a lot of interesting insights and perspectives that I never considered.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like the kind of argument Walter made with Coda, he kinda left no room for anyone else to get a word in edgewise for that review On the Filmcast. He does have a point and I jnderstanding feeling that way, but there is certainly no need to feel bad for liking the movie either.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this last night, great movie. I enjoyed Black Widow but liked this a lot more.

The only thing I did not like was
the second post credit sequence with Xialing. She was going back to shut down her father's organization but obviously was in the process of continuing it. I really hope it's for a good reason. They went through the trouble of re-establishing her relationship with her brother, both now being on good terms. I hope she doesn't now end up becoming a 'bad guy (gal)'."

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night, great movie. I enjoyed Black Widow but liked this a lot more.

the second post credit sequence with Xialing. She was going back to shut down her father's organization but obviously was in the process of continuing it. I really hope it's for a good reason. They went through the trouble of re-establishing her relationship with her brother, both now being on good terms. I hope she doesn't now end up becoming a 'bad guy (gal)'."

this is a spoiler thread fyi.

with that said, i dont think shes going to become a bad guy, but also not become a good guy necessarily. I think she will be in that gray area.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
this is a spoiler thread fyi.

with that said, i dont think shes going to become a bad guy, but also not become a good guy necessarily. I think she will be in that gray area.

Oh, right. I see the spoiler indication now. Thanks.

Yeah, it was made obvious with Xialing she's not as 'shining knight' as Shang-Chi by any means, but I just hope she isn't a large force that works against him in the future because she now has the army (10 Rings) she can command.

Oct 29, 2017
For some reason they kept the lights on for the trailers(Eternals and Venom) and then turned off for almost ten minutes of ads lol. Could barely see anything in the Venom 2 trailer.

This was my return to the movies and I thought it was pretty fun, fights were nice and I liked the ten rings action more than I was expecting. Stepping stones into power kick was rad. Wong getting some nice spotlight, you love to see it lmao

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
First 3 quarters of the movie were fantastic. Kungfu and Wuxia delight. Then the final fight happens and I'm getting serious PTSD flashbacks from a god awful movie known as dragon wars or D-Wars.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Even before she's taking over 10 rings organization, she already ran underground cage match. I hope she use this opportunity to expand her operation and give us a tournament arc disney+ series. I want a series so we can have a lot more fight and matchups

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
I liked everyone's characterization, really enjoyed the two leads.

The end really bored me though. I thought each character had a good arc that was marred by just how over the top the last act was. I think they could have done without a giant bad monster - especially one that was hyped as this crazy ancient foe. I didn't think the movie would one-and-done this foe in 20 minutes, it just felt unnecessary.

Loved the fight choreography.

All in all, it was a fun movie. It was standard Marvel fare, which I've learned to accept and enjoy.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to see this in three hours. Mostly unspoiled so far. Aside from that thread with people ranking their Marvel movies, and putting Shang-Chi in the same tier as Infinity War and Winter Soldier. Which just means hype! So I'm pretty excited!

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Oh, right. I see the spoiler indication now. Thanks.

Yeah, it was made obvious with Xialing she's not as 'shining knight' as Shang-Chi by any means, but I just hope she isn't a large force that works against him in the future because she now has the army (10 Rings) she can command.

She had her old fight club crew back with her at the end, had balanced out the members with women and "redecorated" the place. I dont know what she is planning but I dont think it is to return to being an international terrorist type organization as she didnt seem too on board with that when her dad was doing it. I think she is using / expanding on the infrastructure and power she has now as the heir to do her own totally different thing.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
She had her old fight club crew back with her at the end, had balanced out the members with women and "redecorated" the place. I dont know what she is planning but I dont think it is to return to being an international terrorist type organization as she didnt seem too on board with that when her dad was doing it. I think she is using / expanding on the infrastructure and power she has now as the heir to do her own totally different thing.

I could see her organisation being the precursor to The Hand. The Ten Rings is already an international organisation so I could see a power struggle occuring from the Japanese regional division of The Ten Rings now that Wenwu is gone. Plus, it can tie in neatly to the Echo Disney+ series.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Not like the Ten Rings switching sides really added much, unless people were really invested in the character development of a dude named Razor Fist (who doesn't even end up doing anything cool in the finale).
It's necessary for Xialing's part of the narrative to come full circle. The Ten Rings needs to be intact and needs to have some redeemable qualities.