• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 19, 2018
I'm shocked that Disney allowed not one, but two vagina-themed jokes in here.

That cut-away to Wong participating in Hotel California is the best thing to have made me smile all year. =D

Also, spot-on: why do we Asians always tend to gravitate to 'A Whole New World' when doing karaoke? xD

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I know the movie's focus is on Shang-Chi and Wenwu's relationship and that Wenwu ignored Xialing, but I wish they had at least one scene between them alone. A fight scene, a talk, or something. No doubt they're saving exploration of Xialing's character for future stuff, and I hope they can have Tony Leung for that. Just wanted some of it now.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I know the movie's focus is on Shang-Chi and Wenwu's relationship and that Wenwu ignored Xialing, but I wish they had at least one scene between them alone. A fight scene, a talk, or something. No doubt they're saving exploration of Xialing's character for future stuff, and I hope they can have Tony Leung for that. Just wanted some of it now.
There should be plenty opportunity for wenwu to appear in flashback in sequel. The big mystery is the rings origin and I feel like we could get a scene of how wenwu get them

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it this weekend. That was a great movie. That was one of the best solo superhero movies I've watched since Cap2. I'm not Chinese, but as an Asian American I still felt a sense of pride seeing a comic book movie with an Asian as the main character. Not only that, but having Asian culture and mythology interwoven into the plot as well.

Story wise, I just felt like the death of Shang's mother or at least the scene portraying while it was very emotional, just didn't carry much weight in the film - as far as the Iron Gang goes. And it wasn't totally clear to me why she didn't have her powers anymore. Did she have to have the dragon with her at all times?

Also, is the 10 Rings from Iron Man 1 just a completely different organization? That movie had them as a terrorist group in the Middle East. I guess that was the directorial choice at the time to make audience see it as contemporary to our world. They all used guns and didn't employ any martial arts either.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I saw it this weekend. That was a great movie. That was one of the best solo superhero movies I've watched since Cap2. I'm not Chinese, but as an Asian American I still felt a sense of pride seeing a comic book movie with an Asian as the main character. Not only that, but having Asian culture and mythology interwoven into the plot as well.

Story wise, I just felt like the death of Shang's mother or at least the scene portraying while it was very emotional, just didn't carry much weight in the film - as far as the Iron Gang goes. And it wasn't totally clear to me why she didn't have her powers anymore. Did she have to have the dragon with her at all times?

Also, is the 10 Rings from Iron Man 1 just a completely different organization? That movie had them as a terrorist group in the Middle East. I guess that was the directorial choice at the time to make audience see it as contemporary to our world. They all used guns and didn't employ any martial arts either.

Probably just the middle eastern side of the Ten Rings, which we're told were massive

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

In the first few minutes of the movie a young Shang-Chi asks his mom about her powers, and she tell him that she lost them as a result of leaving Ta Lo.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Didn't Eve Ewing write the initial script for the Ironheart D+ series? If so, that's probably where we'll see Xailing next.

Unfortunately, she did not.

www.google.com

‘Ironheart’: Marvel-Disney Plus Series Sets Chinaka Hodge as Head Writer (EXCLUSIVE)

The "Ironheart" series at Disney Plus has tapped Chinaka Hodge to serve as head writer, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

That being said, I'm confident they're using Eve Ewing's run as inspiration because it makes more thematic sense than Bendis' run.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Unfortunately, she did not.

www.google.com

‘Ironheart’: Marvel-Disney Plus Series Sets Chinaka Hodge as Head Writer (EXCLUSIVE)

The "Ironheart" series at Disney Plus has tapped Chinaka Hodge to serve as head writer, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

That being said, I'm confident they're using Eve Ewing's run as inspiration because it makes more thematic sense than Bendis' run.
As long as Eve Ewing's run is used as the basis for the show, it'll at least be a fun watch. And yeah, it would better fit with what's going on in the MCU with minimal changes (the biggest change being the inclusion of Xailing).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm shocked that Disney allowed not one, but two vagina-themed jokes in here.

That cut-away to Wong participating in Hotel California is the best thing to have made me smile all year. =D

Also, spot-on: why do we Asians always tend to gravitate to 'A Whole New World' when doing karaoke? xD

Because we love that shit....or its one of the few Englilsh songs avaiable in the Korean Karaoke bars/rooms. (In Korea at least), I think you have more options in the states :)

btw. Everyone should try and find a korean Karaoke room/bar. Its a blast.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering what they're going to do in a sequel for villains. Presumably it's about the actual origins of the Ten Rings and where they were sending their beacon to. Obviously that calls to mind the Makluans, but would they really follow up this film with another giant dragon monster as the bad guy?

Thing is though, Shang-Chi's actual rogue's gallery in the comics is really shallow, Razor Fist and Death Dealer are basically some of the only prominent members. Maybe they could use Midnight/Midnight Sun or whatever they want to call him.
latest

He was Shang-Chi's adopted brother, who at some point died and was resurrected by the Kree in an enhanced clone body, I guess? Maybe that could be a thing, a long lost son of Wenwu from way back when who ended up living with aliens or something and he comes to collect the Ten Rings for the Makluans or something. Just spitballing.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
What do fellow Asian Americans think of this film? I just got back from watching it and I'm curious.

Imma keep it real, overall i enjoyed it, but i liked it more when they were in the city. i never read the comics so idk if dragons and mythical creatures are part of it, but personally i want a movie with an asian lead that doesnt hav to hav dragons and other stereotypical asian "tropes". Again, i enjoyed it overall, but i hope a sequel doesnt hav more asian tropes. maybe im being ridiculous, idk 🤣

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh, I have a karaoke place in my town that has private rooms but it's more expensive than doing karaoke out in the open. I assume the default for Koren karaoke places is private rooms then?
Japanese karaoke is that way too, round 1 arcades have them in the US and they are quite cheap... If you actually have a round 1 arcade near you

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I really loved the first 2/3rds of this movie. I just wish it didn't end in the usual "save the world with a giant CGI fest" marvel way.

Also there is no excuse for future marvel films to not do fight scenes properly. This one was fantastic.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Imma keep it real, overall i enjoyed it, but i liked it more when they were in the city. i never read the comics so idk if dragons and mythical creatures are part of it, but personally i want a movie with an asian lead that doesnt hav to hav dragons and other stereotypical asian "tropes". Again, i enjoyed it overall, but i hope a sequel doesnt hav more asian tropes. maybe im being ridiculous, idk 🤣

Totally respectable opinion. It's definitely better than the few "it's mediocre at best" comments I've been hearing from people I know. The part that irritates me is that there's no elaboration other than "it's mediocre" and they can't form any analysis beyond that overall impression.

At least you have criticisms that mean something and I totally get it. Personally, I loved having the dragon and mythological creatures in there, comics or not. Mainly, I just thought they were respectful when introducing a lot of the Asian culture elements into the film from the realistic (e.g. first born having the burden of family legacy, younger sibling being ignored, women being second to men in society/family, etc.) to the fantastical (e.g. dragons, lions, spirit realms, mystical tai chi, etc.). I thought they were all respectfully done and not exaggerated (many movies from China are way more exaggerated with mystical creatures, dragons, and the whole nine yards). The comics were nothing like this movie and vice versa, also the comics suck so I'm glad they took way more creative liberties to make this story worth telling.

Also, I've seen recent movies from Asia doing fantastical settings and stories and I can't remember any worth watching because of how bad the acting is, how exaggerated the acting is, how there is no logic in character choices or personal development among characters, etc.

I thought this movie blended the beauty of Asian filmography and choreography with western storytelling so well. It came as a huge surprise to me. I thought it would be a disappointment when I walked into the movie, but I came out with a hugely positive impression because I didn't expect it to honor Asian/Chinese culture so well. For anyone to criticize the movie, I'd love to know what they could have done to make the movie even better.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really cool film. Loved the settings, the music, and especially the creatures from mythology brought to life. Found the midsection to drag and bit and made the movie feel extremely long. But after reaching Ta Lo I was totally on board again.

Also, props for lots of Chinese dialogue and not dropping it after 2 sentences.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Wondering what they're going to do in a sequel for villains. Presumably it's about the actual origins of the Ten Rings and where they were sending their beacon to. Obviously that calls to mind the Makluans, but would they really follow up this film with another giant dragon monster as the bad guy?

Thing is though, Shang-Chi's actual rogue's gallery in the comics is really shallow, Razor Fist and Death Dealer are basically some of the only prominent members. Maybe they could use Midnight/Midnight Sun or whatever they want to call him.
latest

He was Shang-Chi's adopted brother, who at some point died and was resurrected by the Kree in an enhanced clone body, I guess? Maybe that could be a thing, a long lost son of Wenwu from way back when who ended up living with aliens or something and he comes to collect the Ten Rings for the Makluans or something. Just spitballing.

The Makluans seems to be the most likely villains for the sequel of Shang-Chi but you do raise a good point of not retreading old ground with another dragon battle. Midnight Sun just wouldn't work for MCU Shang-Chi for a variety of reasons, we already have Xialing as the estranged family member.

Marvel Studios could pull from Iron Fist's rogue gallery. Sabertooth debuted in an Iron Fist comic before he was associated with the X-Men so I could see a character like Junzo Muto being the villain for the Shang-Chi sequel.

marvel.fandom.com

Junzo Muto (Earth-616)

7 appearance(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) 3 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) 1 image(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junzo_Muto http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/junzomut.htm https://comicvine.gamespot.com/junzo-muto/4005-21192/

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The Makluans seems to be the most likely villains for the sequel of Shang-Chi but you do raise a good point of not retreading old ground with another dragon battle. Midnight Sun just wouldn't work for MCU Shang-Chi for a variety of reasons, we already have Xialing as the estranged family member.

Marvel Studios could pull from Iron Fist's rogue gallery. Sabertooth debuted in an Iron Fist comic before he was associated with the X-Men so I could see a character like Junzo Muto being the villain for the Shang-Chi sequel.

marvel.fandom.com

Junzo Muto (Earth-616)

7 appearance(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) 3 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) 1 image(s) of Junzo Muto (Earth-616) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junzo_Muto http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/junzomut.htm https://comicvine.gamespot.com/junzo-muto/4005-21192/
They could change up the Makluans a bunch to keep it interesting maybe. They're very diverse in the comics, even Fraktur from the Nova corps is apparently Fin Fang Foom's cousin.
623319-004.jpg

Barring that it might be kind of cool to see them do a riff on the Avengers World story where Shang-Chi used Pym Particles to fight a giant dragon hand to hand.
e4630284-054f-4785-8323-7ed374bd1b75-avengers-world-013-021.jpg

But yeah no matter how I slice it using the Makluans in a sequel seems like a retread in some way. Oh well, guess we'll see.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
If they had a character vocally spurn the name of The Mandarin, there's no way they're keeping a villain named Fin Fang Foom

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I love that the ring is super versatile. probably should be obvious, but I'm blown away when Wenwu shift all the ring to 1 hand for that extra power punch. same with when Shang Chi put some rings on his leg for more powerful kick. probably my favorite weapon in MCU right now.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If they had a character vocally spurn the name of The Mandarin, there's no way they're keeping a villain named Fin Fang Foom

Shang-Chi is a vaguely Chinese-y name thrown together by a couple white dudes who loved Kung Fu, the TV series where David Carradine plays a half-Chinese man named Kwai. And somehow people over the years have managed to come up with something that is not instantly embarrassing. Surely Fin Fang Foom is not an impossible task.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Me and the lady loved this movie. So much fun, the fight scenes and action were amazing, and we loved the use of Chinese mythology towards the end.

- Did anyone else think or were hoping that the massive soul stealer thing would end up being Blackheart? Couldn't think of any other Marvel character this could end up being and was a little disappointed it wasn't something more familiar from the Marvel Universe. (Or was it?)

- I went to the bathroom for a bit, but we never saw Shang assassinating his mothers' killer in this, right? The lead boss who was in charge of those thugs who killed her? Forgot to ask the fiancé what happened when I ran out haha.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
God damn...

The number of non-Asians in this thread dismissing how racist the name Fin Fang Foom is...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
- I went to the bathroom for a bit, but we never saw Shang assassinating his mothers' killer in this, right? The lead boss who was in charge of those thugs who killed her? Forgot to ask the fiancé what happened when I ran out haha.
Correct, they didn't actually show it, but Shang Chi said he did it - he admitted he had lied about not being able to go through with it, and accepting that part of himself was part of what let him win the battle with his father.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Correct, they didn't actually show it, but Shang Chi said he did it - he admitted he had lied about not being able to go through with it, and accepting that part of himself was part of what let him win the battle with his father.
Eeh, right after he admit it, didn't he proclaimed that he will do what he's trained for and kill his father? I don't think that's what let him win.

Shang-chi remembering what his mother thought him when he's in the lake with Great Protector is what let him win against Wenwu

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn fantastic movie. One of the best MCU origin stories of them all. I can't wait for more Shang Chi, the rings are amazing and their use in the battles was insane.

Nov 1, 2017
My favorite MCU movie. Blew me away.

The third act was hype as fuck. Everything got so crazy and they stuck the landing. Incredible.

Naed1993

Dec 25, 2017
I really loved this movie but there was definitely pacing issues with the exposition IMO but, if there was one thing I hated in this movie was Trevor Slattery. They could of done something alot more interesting with the amount screen time they gave him. If they really wanted to have a bit more comedy aspects during that time they could of easily gave those lines to Awkwafina's character.

Other then, that I really sort of don't understand peoples complaints about the final act and the CG with it.

I felt like there was a lot of emotional weight behind the final fight between Shang-Chi & his father also him finally embracing the rings to become a super hero.
Also with the CG fight in the final act, its not like they lost physical choreography and were completely replaced with CG characters. This is also not a new thing as well...Kung Fu Hustle has loads fight that were assisted by CG to make it more fantastical and everybody loves that movie.
Even with Dragon stuff at the end, had cuts between a phsycial performance by Simu and CG character, Also there isn't anything like this in MCU. Simu running along with the Dragon was really cool and straight of out of DBZ.

CG is usually a problem for me when it just devolves to bunch of shit blowing up (Winter Soldier & Black Widow) or they completely replace the actor or add a bunch of unnecessary CG to the physical actors(Homecoming, Far from Home, and Black Panther)

calder

Oct 25, 2017
A good MCU movie, really enjoyed it.

Great fight scene in the bus, with there was more of that but on the other hand if you have a movie with people with super powers and they don't use those fantastical abilities when the shit gets serious at the end that's usually odd too.

One minor thing that made me pause early was being unsure how old these characters were supposed to be, I see the leads are being in their 30s so I had a different opinion of the characters until they gave some vague info and I realized they were ~25 year olds working as valets out of uni, not 33 year old burnouts living at home and drinking all night lol.

Great casting (although as I said the actors are a tiny bit out of the age range but nothing serious) and a fun story. Simu nailed the action and the comedy, and even did a credible job on the bits of drama so that's a good sign.

Low key the best joke of the whole movie was from Trevor though - his story about how he discovered he needed to be an actor after seeing Plant of the Apes as a child was fucking hilarious. They are only *pretending* to ride those horses!

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't wanna race war or anything but I found it funny sitting next to this white couple in the theater and as an Asian American, I could relate to the Gangnam-style joke where it felt more poignant more than anything, but in contrast, the couple audibly laughed.

Movie was good, wish it leaned more away from the MCU structure but that's not fair to the movie. I really wish they expanded more on Blonsky and Wong, I felt like I missed something when it was over and they just disappeared back into wherever they portaled to.