• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
At this point, the people who will appear on the ballot for the two parties are guaranteed.

If the two people on the ballot are people you believe are rapists, one of them will become President. If you decide not to vote, you are still passively accepting whichever rapist is the victor despite the protest.

If the ballot will have two people you believe rapists on it, one of them will become President. If you have any preference whatsoever, any leaning at all in any way, as to which rapist should be President and which should not, and your vote will matter in making that decision, you might as well pick the rapist you think should be President.

Because, again, one of the two will be President.

Amazing to not see this moment as a damning indictment of this country and its electoral system and instead a moment to push #VoteBlueNoMatterWho. If so many people are gung ho about electing a rapist, they can do it without me.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
... what year is this from? 2013 under Obama deportations actually peaked. And this is what OP is speaking to, of trying to shame others into voting for a credibly-accused rapist out of guilt, because the other party's credibly-accused rapist is more blatant about his racism and nationalism.

People will do whatever they want. That much is clear.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battle of the 2 rapists, and America gets to pick one to lead the country. What a time to live in.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
We're also talking about the same candidate that, during one of the worst pandemics we have ever seen, said he would veto a medicare for all bill, right?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You have to live with the consequences of the election even if you sit it out in protest.

Do you really want Trump to have another 4 years of throwing children in cages and undoing America?

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be glad if by some miracle Biden is not the Democratic nominee, but if he is I will vote for him to prevent something worse.

If you can't bring yourself to vote for him it's totally up to you, I just hope that your vote isn't needed to get Trump out.
The hope for Biden to succeed was faint but this new information makes it feel impossible. Bracing for 4 more years of Trump's swamp. Not trying to shame people, just feeling like the future is bleak.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find an interpretation of this post that isn't
"I'm not going to shame people but they will be (and should be) shamed"

is that really where you want to go with this?

I'm saying others will shame those that don't vote.

Not me, I don't even live in America.

But others will, and I think as time goes by if Trump does win people who sat out will probably feel some regret.

Maybe not though, I don't know.

If you don't want to vote, for whatever reason, it's your choice as I said, you don't have to answer to any of us.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Trump and Biden can both get fucked. I'll be voting, but not for either of them.
Under our current voting system that would be a wasted vote. In our current landscape voting for Biden or voting for Trump means you're doing more than just voting for that singular person. I think that's what posters like Mauricio_Magus & Leona Lewis are pointing out.

And to the OP this doesn't show your privilege, but rather our lack of options.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I really hope that the shaming attitudes around here stop, its massively tone deaf at best to a lot of victims of sexual assault

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
We're also talking about the same candidate that, during one of the worst pandemics we have ever seen, said he would veto a medicare for all bill, right?

Yes, but he's better for some reason

The policy of finding your own health insurance looking great with so many people unemployed

"but the kids at the border!" How do we know he's going to do shit with that when he can't even defend his previous deportations or cages. Sure it's worse, but is he the one who completely gets rid of it? Doubt it. It's just a more extreme version of what they were doing prior. Kind of gross when you see those policies exacerbated right?

That needs to happen yes

But whats our path to get there?

LOCAL ELECTIONS

Jan 11, 2018
Under our current voting system that would be a wasted vote. In our current landscape voting for Biden or voting for Trump means you're doing more than just voting for that singular person. I think that's what posters like Mauricio_Magus & Leona Lewis are pointing out.

It's a protest vote, and it's better than voting for an old, white, misogynistic rapist, which applies to both of the presumed candidates.

Mar 9, 2018
I understand the reluctance. And I say this as someone who feels the Bern even today: I made my peace with this in 2016 with Bill Clinton. And I made my peace with the candidate herself, and her own record, including countless deaths.

Voting is having some say on a choice that will be made regardless. And if a rapist is going to be in the White House no matter what, I want some say on who it is. One rapist would be better than the other by far in terms of their effects on the country and the world.

And that's a sick calculus to make, but that's also the reality in America right now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've long believed that shaming seems like a useless strategy. I'm happy to see people be against it as I don't imagine it would foster discussion for people to shame Biden voters either.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
At this point, the people who will appear on the ballot for the two parties are guaranteed.

If the two people on the ballot are people you believe are rapists, one of them will become President. If you decide not to vote, you are still passively accepting whichever rapist is the victor despite the protest.

If the ballot will have two people you believe rapists on it, one of them will become President. If you have any preference whatsoever, any leaning at all in any way, as to which rapist should be President and which should not, and your vote will matter in making that decision, you might as well pick the rapist you think should be President.

Because, again, one of the two will be President.
This is a self fulfulling prophecy, Biden is only guaranteed to end up on the ballot because moderates are convinced he has already won and that attempting to prevent him from winning the primary so that the choice isn't between two rapists in the general is a more immoral choice than going to bat for the rapist thats on their team

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of understanding and hypocrisy some members of this forum are exhibiting in the wake of these allegations are disgusting. Seems that all the sensitivity towards women's issues displayed by some was merely political opportunism and a response to politicians they did not care for.

Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunate, but voting for the "alleged" rapist will likely improve the quality of life for millions of individuals.

I hate it though. Fucking rapist Biden when we had Bernie and Warren running... FUCK.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be shamed into voting for Biden. His voting history is shit, he's borderline centrist, and now he's being accused of sexual assault. He's not someone to be proud to vote for.

However, he's the better of two terrible options. Does anyone here think Biden would push through a sexual assaulter to the supreme court like Trump did? Does anyone think the LGBTQ community is going to get shat on as much with Joe as they have with Donald? Do you believe Joe will talk up a caravan of people coming through the southern border as invaders and murderers?

This election isn't a giant douche vs a turd sandwich. It's a giant douche vs a turd sandwich dipped in diarrhea and sprinkled with shredded pieces of the constitution.

So, unless Bernie pulls off a miraculous win real fucking quick, vote Joe. Not because he's a decent human being, but because he can at the very least not be as big an asshole as Trump and so people you hopefully respect can be appointed to the supreme court or the justice department or to the vice presidency. Always try to vote the lesser of two evils, even if you struggle to sleep at night because of it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, cause all the more successful moderates just happened to clear the field for Biden for no reason at all

They weren't successful though. Pete and Amy dropped out specifically because of how badly Biden blew them out in South Carolina and to a lesser extent Nevada. Amy didn't even win a single state in February. They didn't "clear the field for Biden for no reason", the reason was pretty plainly because they had no viability at all.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of understanding and hypocrisy some members of this forum are exhibiting in the wake of these allegations are disgusting. Seems that all the sensitivity towards women's issues displayed by some was merely political opportunism and a response to politicians they did not care for.

This seems like a broad brush. Could you expand on that?

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimate question and I apologize if I can't phrase this correctly.

Do you think there's a way to discuss this sort of subject without shaming/bullying becoming a focal point of the discussion? Personally, I'm unsure. But I do think there's a conversation to be had around this subject and how incredibly complex and horrific it is. I want to find a way to talk about it without getting into the whole, "You're a bad person if you do/don't do this thing!"

Simple, understand that there are reasons why people will not vote. Out of all of them, someone being traumatized by voting for a rapist (especially if that person is a victim themselves), is a perfectly valid reason as we should expect people to relieve their trauma. At that same token, I completely get why people are desperate to get people to vote blue. Trump is scary and has caused direct harm to women, POC, and the LGBT+ community.

Understand that it is a shitty situation all around and don't shame others for their decisions. It's probably going to be hard to avoid causing sparks because of how volatile the base is but just understand that everyone will make a choice for a variety of reasons.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Don't vote for "Biden" then.

5b27bd661ae66222008b535c

Vote for the least privileged among us.

Full stop.

Now post one of civilians blown apart by Obama/Biden drone strikes. People need to stop pretending Trump is the only politician who hurts people. He is awful and should be physically removed from office, but leave upsetting images to the pro-life idiots.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm voting for Biden because I want him to replace RGB, and to release children from cages.

RGB, Cages > Allegedly.

Speaking for myself shouldn't shame anyone else.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Why are we ignoring the broad implications

Are the anxieties of those who fear what Trump will do with another 4 years any less abhorrent?

Even the OP goes only so far as to say... "Do not shame those who refuse to vote for him"

That doesnt mean empathy for those that are also affected in traumatic ways by everything Trump has done are any less valid

We keep putting all our individuals between a rock and a hard place when we all want the same thing and yet going around calling other people insensitive frauds because we are consdiering risks from different points of perspective?

Whats the cure to this exactly outside of what the OP has suggested huh?

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's on the ballot, I'll vote for him only because I want those kids out of those cages. I don't trust him to do anything else, and I'll make no attempt to apologize for him or shame others who can't bring themselves to do the same.

Biden should've read the room and decided not to run.
Basically. Unfortunately ill vote for him if it comes down to it. But i wont like it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Republicans are salivating at the idea of Democrats fighting each other and not voting.

They will vote for their "rapist", win, and keep destroying the USA and the entire world in the process.

I do agree that people should not be "shamed", and no one should be, but the reality is that if Trump wins then things are going to be way worse than anything else.

Kids are in fucking cages for fuck's sake, LGBT rights are in danger, and a 7-2 Supreme Court is a real possibility that you won't be able to change for the next 30 or so years.

This whole situation sucks in general because WE CANNOT afford to lose this election, it's just not an option, but right now all I see is Trump getting an easy win which blows my god damn mind.
Who the fuck cares about what republicans want, or why its relevant to the OP posted in here. Kids were in cages under Biden's administration too. Hell he actively mocked immigrant families at a rally for daring to call him out for it. Its disgusting that in a time when rape allegations are coming to light here were acting like the primary still isnt ongoing and could still pick someone else but instead lets shame victims into voting for a rapist because he has a D next to his name.

This community should have stayed at the old place. That we found this home after moving on from someone for these exact kinds of allegations to only now try to protect a rapist candidate is sickening. If you want to beat Trump and not have a rapist be the democratic nominee we can collectively make that happen. Which seems like a far more productive and morally correct thing to do than shaming people into voting for a rapist who isnt even the nom yet.

Amazing to not see this moment as a damning indictment of this country and its electoral system and instead a moment to push #VoteBlueNoMatterWho. If so many people are gung ho about electing a rapist, they can do it without me.
We talk a lot about how cultish Trump's base is but the same could be said for the vote blue no matter who crowd, who during rape allegations are continuing to push that narrative. Its exposing a lot of evil sordid ideologies here.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the sentiment of voting for Biden as the lesser evil compared to trump, but the multiple people using the kids in cages thing... Huh?!?!

Do you guys not know that Obama/Biden deported people out of here in massive numbers and put people in cages long before President Trump was a thing?

Jun 10, 2018
To put it candidly, the people who employ this shame tactic and invoke marginalized groups to browbeat a minority individual don't do it out of genuine concern for their well-being.

They do so because, whether consciously or subconsciously, they distinguish the livelihoods of the worse off as inferior to their own, and fear a Trump presidency brings them closer to living that reality. The irony is in their attempt to appear altruistic by appealing to said minority groups, they couldn't come off as any more selfish if they tried.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Meh, I think back to 2016 when I did my part to vote for Hilary even though some her policies in the past hurt the black community because I knew what was at stake. After the election I got to see some of my black friends and family members complain about Trump but they couldn't be bothered to turn out because it wasn't Obama anymore. You're not going to get a perfect candidate. Things are often complicated. This question often pertains to relationships, but it could apply here, so the question is, "Would you rather be right or happy?"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck cares about what republicans want, or why its relevant to the OP posted in here. Kids were in cages under Biden's administration too. Hell he actively mocked immigrant families at a rally for daring to call him out for it. Its disgusting that in a time when rape allegations are coming to light here were acting like the primary still isnt ongoing and could still pick someone else but instead lets shame victims into voting for a rapist because he has a D next to his name.

This community should have stayed at the old place. That we found this home after moving on from someone for these exact kinds of allegations to only now try to protect a rapist candidate is sickening. If you want to beat Trump and not have a rapist be the democratic nominee we can collectively make that happen. Which seems like a far more productive and morally correct thing to do than shaming people into voting for a rapist who isnt even the nom yet.

Making this about Bernie adds an agenda in a topic that is designed to elicit empathy to those affected by these allegations of Biden

You understand the problem there right?

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Meh, I think back to 2016 when I did my part to vote for Hilary even though some her policies in the past hurt the black community because I knew what was at stake. After the election I got to see some of my black friends and family members complain about Trump but they couldn't be bothered to turn out because it wasn't Obama anymore. You're not going to get a perfect candidate. Things are often complicated. This question often pertains to relationships, but it could apply here, so the question is, "Would you rather be right or happy?"
theres not the perfect candidate and then theres a literal rapist

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
when your only options are an alleged rapist or a worse version of that that's also a bunch of other things and dangerously incompetent to boot closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears doesn't magically make someone that is none of those things become president instead

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This seems like a broad brush. Could you expand on that?

There are members of this forum who will still say "Yeah, but" when a woman has come out against Biden (and if you haven't watched or listened to the interview, I recommend doing so) in regards to sexual assault, something the Democratic party should take pride in distancing themselves from, but instead its all hands on deck for the accused.

Fact is, the primary isn't over. Biden needs to speak on this, the DNC does, and action needs to be taken. We don't have to choose between two different serial assaulters for who gets to lead the country for the next few years.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you

Also, there are also a lot of people on this site who are trying to silence and downplay the accusation of rape. A lot of people who call themselves progressives but are now showing their asses completely.

Believe and support women*

Fuck Joe Biden
*unless that woman impacts my political allegiances
Saying that you are willing to hold your nose and vote for Biden in order to avoid a complete collapse of modern American society has nothing to do with whether or not you believe his accuser. For example I for one am willing to believe her until proven otherwise. However I also realize that if it comes down to Biden vs Trump then the choice is obvious. I'm gonna have go with the piece of shit that isn't a virulent racist that has actively tried to destroy the country and kill people (especially people of color) for the past 3 years. Not because I like the guy or because I WANT to vote for him, but because I have no damned choice in the matter due to how utterly fucked the American political system is.

If people don't want to vote for Biden then that's fine. Don't vote for him, but just be prepared for the distinct possibility that Trump wins the election and gets to stack the Supreme Court. Because while Democrats may have the moral fortitude to abstain from voting for a piece of shit you better fucking believe that Republicans don't have those same scruples. They will show up in droves to vote for their glorious orange racist regardless of what happens in these coming months.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

US population is 300 million and we can't compromise on just having a candidate who isn't a rapist my god.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I look at parliamentary elections in the UK and Israel and think, man I could really go for some of that shit.

UK has first past the post and Israel is fucked up beyond relief.

No system is perfect but you can look to plenty of European multi-party systems and see that they are clearly preferrable to America's bullshit. A mixed member proportional parliamentary system or a presidential system with run-off elections and/or ranked ballots would be a huge improvement. Either of those would allow for more parties and strengthen democracy.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand the sentiment of voting for Biden as the lesser evil compared to trump, but the multiple people using the kids in cages thing... Huh?!?!

Do you guys not know that Obama/Biden deported people out of here in massive numbers and put people in cages long before President Trump was a thing?
As were seeing with literal fucking rape allegations, its not as bad when its done by someone with a D next to their name.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will matter because in a race between two rapists the incumbent will almost definitely win. The DNC is going to hand Trump his second term and it won't be the fault of people who don't want to vote for a rapist OR those who will hold their nose in an attempt to oust Trump.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Simple, understand that there are reasons why people will not vote. Out of all of them, someone being traumatized by voting for a rapist (especially if that person is a victim themselves), is a perfectly valid reason as we should expect people to relieve their trauma. At that same token, I completely get why people are desperate to get people to vote blue. Trump is scary and has caused direct harm to women, POC, and the LGBT+ community.

Understand that it is a shitty situation all around and don't shame others for their decisions. It's probably going to be hard to avoid causing sparks because of how volatile the base is but just understand that everyone will make a choice for a variety of reasons.
I'm not sure it's so simple, though. Part of the conversation goes into the consequences of one's feelings and trauma, on both sides of the equation. I know people understand that, but it doesn't broker much discussion I feel like? It's almost impossible to separate the greater discussion from the individuals discussing it. Hell, I've seen people that are both survivors of sexual assault go for each other's throats over this.

Maybe it's just one of those things that won't have any satisfactory conclusion at the end of the day because it inevitably turns into, "You have the facts, do with them as you will and leave people alone if they feel differently." But I feel like that doesn't really change anything, or even put us on the road to change. It doesn't broker empathy.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
That third option isn't all that likely since it's tough to flip the Senate. And at this rate, who knows if all of current Congress will make it through the pandemic unscathed?

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Cool. He'll release them. Trump won't.
He probably won't, I mean what are you going to do if he doesn't? Not vote for the democratic candidate 4 years from now? If Biden wins the primary and the general now, it proves that the Democrats don't even need to be better than the republicans to get voted in

Status
Not open for further replies.