• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
People having the temerity to call out shitty behaviour from a mod is apparently a no-no here.

Absolutely embarrassing.

You're gonna get banned.

Is anybody who calls out a shitty opinion from another member now going to be banned? Or only if they call out a mod?

And you're gonna get banned.

It is a fucking JOKE.

Oh, you're getting banned.

And yeah, some of the bans in this thread so far have been absolute BS - predictably this thread followed the line of the last one and showed how bloodthirsty this website gets for punitive justice despite being supposedly progressive

And you.

These bans are shameful, what a fucking joke.

And you...

Yeah I mean none of these poses what I consider hostile and if they were they are noting like what , we see worse between users in review threads.

And you...

Just going back through, and yeah wow.

Banned.

Emmaginary said:
People having the temerity to call out shitty behaviour from a mod is apparently a no-no here.

Absolutely embarrassing.

You're gonna get banned.

Is anybody who calls out a shitty opinion from another member now going to be banned? Or only if they call out a mod?

And you're gonna get banned.

It is a fucking JOKE.

Oh, you're getting banned.

And yeah, some of the bans in this thread so far have been absolute BS - predictably this thread followed the line of the last one and showed how bloodthirsty this website gets for punitive justice despite being supposedly progressive

And you.

These bans are shameful, what a fucking joke.

And you...

Yeah I mean none of these poses what I consider hostile and if they were they are noting like what , we see worse between users in review threads.

And you...

Just going back through, and yeah wow.

Banned.

And you, you're definitely getting banned!

Oh fuck. That's me! FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU--

On topic, the UK should never have threatened to remove her citizenship and dump their homegrown-radicalised child (she was a child when groomed) on other countries.

It was pure pandering to the populist wave of Tory voters stanking up the place.

She needs to come back to the UK for examination and trial in more than Daily Mail Courthouse.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, the islamophobia here is amazing.
Remember that other thread about Denmark imposing certain rules and regulations on majority Muslim populations (aka ghettos)?
One mod actually thought it was a good idea, lmao 😂
Is said mod still active now? I'm seriously considering closing my account right here and now if this is how the site treats religion.

It's tiring being a Muslim in here, tbh.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
When developing nations like Kazakhstan and Morocco are capable of taking back their citizens who likewise fought abroad and either sent them to prison if there was proof of wrongdoing or to rehabilitation centers before allowing them back into society if there wasn't then I don't see why the UK can't manage to do the same when its a far wealthier country.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
When developing nations like Kazakhstan and Morocco are capable of taking back their citizens who likewise fought abroad and either sent them to prison if there was proof of wrongdoing or sent them to rehabilitation centers before allowing them back into society if there wasn't then I don't see why the UK can't manage to do the same when its a far wealthier country.

They can and have done with hundreds already which makes this begum case an absolute joke.

At the time this all came out their were already cases of British women with children who had returned.

The whole thing was simply a used pre election tool to keep a significant number of the voter base and right wing media happy.

Security had nothing to do with it.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this forum's moderation's official stance endorsing islamophobia and punitive justice for underage brown people? Good to know.

Games

Oct 27, 2017
Mods going full on NYPD I see. Good stuff. God forbid anyone who disagrees with them.

Imagine people having different opinions over complex issues AND discussing them on a forum. Unacceptable behaviour.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking that being rightfully called out for your absolutely horrendous take about a 15 year old being groomed is hostility

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking a country removing the citizenship and rights of one of their citizens without any trial is the correct thing. If she is so dangerous, they could have easily put her in prison immediately once she arrived to the country and put her into a fair trial were it can be discussed what the correct punishment and rehabilitation she needs to go through given the situation around her crime (both in the "bad" of her willingly doing stuff and the "good" of her being potentially groomed into it).

Oct 27, 2017
Between this case and Windrush there's also a conversation to be had about how little security there is in PoC's UK citizenship. But I guess some people can't see past "terrorist bad".

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am sorry that happened to you but I do not consider somebody who ran off to join ISIS and then during her time there recruited other young girls to the cause, joined the morality police in occupied territories and stitched suicide bombers into their explosive vests to be a victim and I won't apologise for that view. I have no more sympathy for her than I do other teenagers or adolescents who also committed atrocities and victimised others of their own free will.

... but she remains a British citizen and should be in prison here.
You can do terrible things and still be abused/a victim, which she clearly is. I don't understand why you're treating this like it's all or nothing, it's a very dangerous and reckless way of thinking.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what a lot of these 'she knew what she was doing at 15' types were saying when the 'Muslim sex rings' were being exposed in the UK.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Shameful behavior by whoever is banning members for disagreeing with and calling out a moderator. If this is how you moderate, then you need to resign your post as a moderator.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
She deserves a fair trial where her actions are judged and the fact that she was a minor when she went to Syria is taken into consideration.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow what a sad state of affairs for the moderation in this forum looking at this thread. Are they going to triple down and ban me and everyone else talking about the ridiculous bans in the past couple pages? Let's find out.

OT: Hope Shamima gets a fair trial, and no one should be stateless.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Yh moderation in this thread is ridiculous and it reflects poorly on anyone involved.
Absolute fucking joke.

The only right action is for Begum to come back, this mob mentality justice was messed up then and still is.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Christ at some of the bans in this thread.

Moderation on this site is a joke and mods still refuse to engage with the Asian posters here to address big issues.

Honestly Windrunner I guarantee your tone regarding a life sentence would be different if Shamima was white. It's easy to dehumanise brown people, in particular Muslims.

imagine thinking that being rightfully called out for your absolutely horrendous take about a 15 year old being groomed is hostility
The forum loves having Karen video threads, but one of the mods straight up acting like a Karen. Disagreeing with a bigoted opinion is not hostility.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Windrunner I guarantee your tone regarding a life sentence would be different if Shamima was white. It's easy to dehumanise brown people, in particular Muslims.

The whole coverage of this would have been different for a white girl, and we wouldn't even be at the point of discussing this. She would have been a victim of grooming in the mainstream press from the beginning.

On the moderation side, I've always strongly believed that you should never moderate a thread in which you're actively involved in discussion, and on sites where I've been a moderator I have imposed that rule on myself to avoid exactly this case.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Good decision by the court. A government minister shouldn't be able to render someone stateless at a snap of the fingers. She needs to go court and go through due process, before hopefully going to prison and rehabilitation in the UK. The UK government acted incredibly selfishly by just dumping her stateless in the region. Bangladesh has said they won't let her in, so where should she go? Where should she be brought to justice? She's more likely to stay radicalized and dangerous as a stateless person stuck in that region than as a UK citizen in a UK correctional facility

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this girl will find peace of mind through helpful rehabilitative services, and continue to wish for the best for many young people that get wrapped up by predatory adults.

Will this cycle of grooming and strife, of crime and punishment, ever end? Probably not, but hopefully people who're taking a pause in the midst of "the cycle" for whatever reason get a chance to live a positive life, for their sakes and for others' as well.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
She might be the daughter of inmigrants but she is as Brittish as anybody else born in the country, you can't just strip people's citizenships and tell them to get their parent's.
With that said, once she is back she must be subject to UK's laws.

chancellor

Oct 26, 2017
Ludicrous that the government made this woman stateless.

Being groomed should be a mitigating factor for any sentence she receives after a fair trial. I do wonder how much of the reports about her time in Syria could be proved though.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm increasingly annoyed by countries not taking proper responsibility in dealing with their citizens. It's the UKs responsibility to deal with her, just as its Swedens responsibility to deal with their citizens who went and joined isis and are now either stuck in a camp or prisoners. Same as it is for germany, etc etc. Ignoring it all with the dumb "they can stay there bc theyre dumb >:(". It's not Syrias or Iraqs responsibility to be a kindergarden for european citizens. Ignoring it or making them stateless like the UK initially did here is just enabling further radicalization to foster.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the mod team would stop with the whole notion that criticism = hostility. The mod team mentions how bans are made by group decision so I take it that the mod team is ok with the bans in this thread that came out to question the dubious opinion of a member of the mod team. There really needs to be a public thread for criticism to be allowed and everyone can contribute but that would have happened by now if they really cared about this.

If a member spits out a hot take, be it a regular member or a mod, you have to be able to take the criticism that is going to be coming.

Staff Post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There are a series of bans here that have been taking over the thread discussion and this needs to stop. It is fine to disagree with or criticize another user for their take, including mods. However, hostility and unfounded accusations are not acceptable and against the TOS. In an effort to facilitate good discussion on nuanced topics, we've been issuing more bans for hostility across the board. Bigotry always needs to be called out, and we're not going to start issuing bans for that. But as shown by reading the Guardian articles on this topic, there's enough nuance about the intersection between Shamima's status as a victim and perpetrator of abuse that we think such a discussion should be able to take place.

Additionally, if you have disagreements with moderation it is not acceptable to accuse a moderator who happens to be posting in the thread as a member of abusing their power. Moderation is a group effort and even - especially, really - when the moderator is engaged in conversation in the thread, they are not allowed to single handedly ban members. Not even warnings. If the moderator is reported then that report is handled by an entirely separate group of moderators, including a captain.

Last edited:

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a series of bans here that have been taking over the thread discussion and this needs to stop. It is fine to disagree with or criticize another user for their take, including mods. However, hostility and unfounded accusations are not acceptable and against the TOS. In an effort to facilitate good discussion on nuanced topics, we've been issuing more bans for hostility across the board. Bigotry always needs to be called out, and we're not going to start issuing bans for that. But as shown by reading the Guardian articles on this topic, there's enough nuance about the intersection between Shamima's status as a victim and perpetrator of abuse that we think such a nuanced discussion should be able to take place.

Additionally, if you have disagreements with moderation it is not acceptable to accuse a moderator who happens to be posting in the thread as a member of abusing their power. Moderation is a group effort and even - especially, really - when the moderator is engaged in conversation in the thread, they are not allowed to single handedly ban members. Not even warnings. If the moderator is reported then that report is handled by an entirely separate group of moderators, including a captain.

Windrunner came in here cheering for a life sentence for someone that quite a few of us feel is a victim of her circumstances as well as a victim of sexual assault while she straight up says that she will never see this person as a victim. When confronted, she threw out this response :

Someone responded to her dismissive attitude saying Grow up, and they got 3 days for it. You say that no one will be punished for pushing back against bigotry, but there are people in here who feel that she is coming at it from that point of view, including people that have been banned for hostility.

Fuck off is it.

She knew exactly what she was doing. The explanation of grooming can only go so far. She still actively went to join them knowing full well what they did and what they stood for, that they were murderers and terrorists, and she actively contributed to their cause.
Once she was away from them she stated she had no regrets in any of it.

You can Fuck right off trying to excuse any criticism of her actions as 'victim blaming'

This got the same length of time of a ban for someone just saying Grow up to a moderator. People are talking about these because they're inconsistent and once again tie into how the length of a ban and what is bannable is how it makes the moderation staff feel personally over anything else. You say this needs to stop, but where else are people supposed to talk about this? People report not getting responses in the contact us form all the time or at best a month or two later and there is no public way to talk about any of this stuff as people are repeatedly threatened with bans for even discussing it like you're doing here.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Um, why? Moderation team derails thread via generally unsupported ban wave. Now we're told to look the other way and not talk about it? Doesn't seem very accountable nor good for a discussion board. (Frankly moderation discussions should be public anyway given how much discussion about accountability goes in here, and there's no sensitive details in there.)

What is even the point of being able to have discussions like this is you're just going to ban opinions, that in this case aren't even outliers or controversial.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a series of bans here that have been taking over the thread discussion and this needs to stop. It is fine to disagree with or criticize another user for their take, including mods. However, hostility and unfounded accusations are not acceptable and against the TOS. In an effort to facilitate good discussion on nuanced topics, we've been issuing more bans for hostility across the board. Bigotry always needs to be called out, and we're not going to start issuing bans for that. But as shown by reading the Guardian articles on this topic, there's enough nuance about the intersection between Shamima's status as a victim and perpetrator of abuse that we think such a discussion should be able to take place.

No Justice, No Peace

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Someone responded to her dismissive attitude saying Grow up, and they got 3 days for it. You say that no one will be punished for pushing back against bigotry, but there are people in here who feel that she is coming at it from that point of view, including people that have been banned for hostility.

This got the same length of time of a ban for someone just saying Grow up to a moderator. People are talking about these because they're inconsistent and once again tie into how the length of a ban and what is bannable is how it makes the moderation staff feel personally over anything else.
TBH that banner should probably have said "over multiple posts," thus the similarity in duration.
Um, why? Moderation team derails thread via generally unsupported ban wave. Now we're told to look the other way and not talk about it? Doesn't seem very accountable nor good for a discussion board. (Frankly moderation discussions should be public anyway given how much discussion about accountability goes in here, and there's no sensitive details in there.)

What is even the point of being able to have discussions like this is you're just going to ban opinions, that in this case aren't even outliers or controversial.
Addressing this and Ketkat 's points about public discussion of moderation here, history has sort of shown us that threads and topics dedicated to talking about moderation writ large tend to devolve quickly. A lot of people want to sincerely try to improve things. Others want to burn it down. And others still just want to relitigate old (well-deserved) bans. We can mostly screen out the last one, but the former two are harder. That's why we prefer formats like the upcoming AsianEra meeting, where the discussion can be public and we're sure it's focused on involved parties dealing with specific issues.

Making moderation discussion public is definitely not viable. Respectfully, that's an enormous burden to put on people who are, at the end of the day, volunteers. What if somebody needs to share private information to give context to their thinking on a ban? Or what if they're worried about attracting offsite harassment for their opinions?
No Justice, No Peace
I'd like to think we're not as bad as the actual cops. I dunno, maybe that's the perspective.

Like it says in the staff post: this is a topic that it's possible to have multiple views on. Unlike police brutality, it's not as easy as saying that one side is totally wrong, excepting the people who say she should remain stateless, who were banned.
And yet that is exactly what happened when a Mod was challenged.
No, it was not. As shown by reading the Guardian article at the top of the topic, this isn't as simple as clear-cut bigotry. Treating it like it is just shuts down discussion.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it was not. As shown by reading the Guardian article at the top of the topic, this isn't as simple as clear-cut bigotry. Treating it like it is just shuts down discussion.

To be clear before we keep this discussion going, the Guardian is who we are looking towards to decide bigotry? The same Guardian that regularly puts out incredibly transphobic articles while saying they aren't bigotry?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't a discussion if the conversation is literally

"She's not a victim"
"Here are some reasons that she is"
"Okay dude 🙄"
"Hey you shouldn't be dismissive?"
*BANNED*

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of jeopardizing my participation in the Asian-Era meeting, this is absolutely ridiculous. An increase to blanket bans for hostility isn't going to help matters, considering 1. the controversial nature of some of the recent ones outside of this thread, 2. many marginalized members have a ban history of being banned for being hostile because the forum is a hostile environment where jerks can couch their bigotry in plausible deniability and civility and get away with it, and 3. there are things mods can do other than banning (e.g. participate in the conversation, verbally warn, use the warn function). Moreover, this assertion that moderation is done by a team doesn't actually convince anybody that their actions are good and just...it just makes the team look bad.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think we're not as bad as the actual cops. I dunno, maybe that's the perspective.

Like it says in the staff post: this is a topic that it's possible to have multiple views on. Unlike police brutality, it's not as easy as saying that one side is totally wrong, excepting the people who say she should remain stateless, who were banned.

Then let's have that discussion: do you agree that a child who was groomed into sexual servitude should be served a life sentence because she remains indoctrinated? If no, why silence those who empathically disagreed, specifically towards a member of the moderation team?

I'd like to think that as we're able to think that police brutality is totally wrong, so is grooming and indoctrination.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I fail to see how this statement isn't bannable:

I am sorry that happened to you but I do not consider somebody who ran off to join ISIS and then during her time there recruited other young girls to the cause, joined the morality police in occupied territories and stitched suicide bombers into their explosive vests to be a victim and I won't apologise for that view. I have no more sympathy for her than I do other teenagers or adolescents who also committed atrocities and victimised others of their own free will.

when this one is:

I'm sorry she was 15 she knew what she was doing

There's no additional nuance, just using more words to say the same thing.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Nah I'm sorry but throw a brown person in the cell and lose the key is not a fucking acceptable position to take on this.

Windrunner couldn't even back their case and jumped straight to the defensive "I'm being attacked".

It's easy to dehumanise brown people. Era hasn't been above that. A discussion needs to be had when a moderator on this site is clearly of that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.