• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by low effort post.
GG OTHER DIGITAL GAME SERVICES, GG

(never heard of it)

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I see where you're coming from. I don't think they'll remain stagnant and featureless but who knows.

What is this thought of yours based on exactly?

Just look at any of the other storefronts/launchers on PC.
Battle.net, Origin, The Win10Store, Uplay etc.

Of them, only uplay did put it any resemblance of legwork to improve themselfs, and even that one is rather weak compared to what steam did in the same timeframe.

What reason is there to believe that the epic store will finally be the one to do this? Especially when Epic launched in a worse state than some of the others to boot.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

Of them, only uplay did put it any resemblance of legwork to improve themselfs, and even that one is rather weak compared to what steam did in the same timeframe.

What reason is there to believe that the epic store will finally be the one to do this? Especially when Epic launched in a worse state than some of the others to boot.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-12-epic-games-store-establishes-new-refund-policy

They've been making changes to it, you know. They ran without a refund policy for a fairly short time in comparison to steam, who added it after, like, 11 years of not giving a fuck.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Just that they've still only been out for a few months. I only log in to grab the free game every few weeks or so, but each time I do there's some update for something. I don't use the service enough to even know what's changing.

Oct 31, 2017
Because if you don't like paid exclusivity deals, the only way to fight them is to make it unprofitable for devlopers to agree to them, and the only way to do that is to withold your purchases. Not really that hard to understand.

Not buying something you wanna buy means that something might not be a thing in the future though.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-12-epic-games-store-establishes-new-refund-policy

They've been making changes to it, you know. They ran without a refund policy for a fairly short time in comparison to steam, who added it after, like, 11 years of not giving a fuck.

That's a glorified EULA/TOS change, not something that actually requires any sort of work to develop or implement, so i'm not sure that really proves they will put in that legwork.

The comparison to steam in this context i also find rather questionable, considering that in 2005, there was no precedent for refunds on digital games, unlike now.
A precedent that was mostly set by valve too, wether it was forced upon them through law or not.

Just that they've still only been out for a few months. I only log in to grab the free game every few weeks or so, but each time I do there's some update for something. I don't use the service enough to even know what's changing.

So not really anything tangible.
Of course, it's your pejorative to believe what you believe in, but as i pointed out and wanted to say, precedent says it's less likely than you'd think.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Your argument is dumb af. Yeah refunds werent a thing before. Duh.
Same as cloud saves.
You cant expect people to be fast at making things that doesnt exist.
But you can expect them to be fast to make things that already exist.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Epic gets the benefit of the doubt like no other company on this board. Maybe they will turn the launcher into something, but right now it sucks. At the pace they are going it's gonna be a long time before we see any real improvements. And that's if they even care to improve.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So not really anything tangible.
Of course, it's your pejorative to believe what you believe in, but as i pointed out and wanted to say, precedent says it's less likely than you'd think.

Do you think Epic will eventually add something as obvious as cloud saves to their service? In this day and age I can't fathom them ignoring that function.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Epic gets the benefit of the doubt like no other company on this board. Maybe they will turn the launcher into something, but right now it sucks. At the pace they are going it's gonna be a long time before we see any real improvements. And that's if they even care to improve.

It gets from the benefits of the doubt from concerned trolls about a fantasized monopoly on a market they dont even care about.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that disagrees with you is a concern troll, huh? Yeah, you're really worth engaging with.

Not everyone no.
Because not everyone who disagrees with me is giving Epic a pass on everything.

But I notice a trend in people happy from this that are, as no surprise, mainly console gamers for exemple. And just happen to pop, like magic, on EGS threads of all the pc related stuff.
That's all.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I mean for me at least Epic does what I need a game store/launcher to do which is let me buy and install games and then list the ones I have.

Cloud saves are a nice idea but how many Steam games even support that? I don't think most games in my library do at least.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't work for GoG or Discord because no one uses GoG or Discord the Discord Store. Meanwhile, the Epic Store houses the installer for the most popular game on the planet, has either hotly anticipated or already celebrated games like Satisfactory, The Walking Dead S4, , Metro Exodus, Hades or Ashen (EDIT: Switched out two games are wrongly calimed were exclusive), which you can ONLY get on that store - plus a myriad of free games for every user each month. Any person interested in any of those games - again, including the literal most popular game on the planet right now - is going to the Epic Store at some point and will automatically be confronted with huge advertisements for games like Shakedown Hawaii. There's WAY more incentive for millions of people to install the Epic Launcher and use their store compared to GoG Galaxy or the Discord Store.

In fact, you are making the very argument for why thes exclusivity deals are necessary to make the store valid and gain any kind of traction. If you don't, GoG and Discord and all the other stores show what happens. Such a small fraction of users actually buys your games or uses your Launcher/Platform, that it's ultimately not worth it. GoG just had to layoff a dozen employees and their Launcher GoG Galaxy went absolutely nowhere, since every is either only interested in buying their DRM-free games (something Epic Store also supports) or just buying a Steam key. Exclusive deals like this are the only way for a competitor to gain any kind of traction and make users even interested in their platform when your competitor's Launcher is controlling about 99% of the entire PC market.

That's what all of these "THIS IS A MONOPOLY/THIS IS COMPETITION" memes never talk about. All of these store listed, intended to show "competition" sell you Steam codes. It's supposed to look like there is competition going on, but it actually supports the argument of how Steam controls the entire market: Almost every one of these stores is simply another outlet to funnel you towards Steam.
What. GoG doesn't sell Steam keys. Uplay doesn't sell Steam keys. Origin doesn't sell Steam keys. Humble bundle gives you the choice of taking a Steam key if you want. Grey sites like CD key resellers resell CD keys that are any of the mentioned client keys.

You are entirely incorrect and throwing out hilariously inaccurate conspiracy theories. No one is funnelling to Steam, it's just an option for developers, a big one being it's offered the best for developers and all competition has done is show how half arsed they are. Epic is the same, despite the great dev cuts it's still just as half baked and they are resolving to buying out competition for the sake of traffic.

And the greatest thing of all: Epic is a monopoly now. They are forcing you to buy games on their platform at worse prices because no one else can sell them. And people are championing this shit.

I mean for me at least Epic does what I need a game store/launcher to do which is let me buy and install games and then list the ones I have.

Cloud saves are a nice idea but how many Steam games even support that? I don't think most games in my library do at least.
You'd be surprised at how many do. It's essentially an automatic thing as all it is is setting a function to flag the steam servers to upload your save when exiting a game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't work for GoG or Discord because no one uses GoG or Discord the Discord Store. Meanwhile, the Epic Store houses the installer for the most popular game on the planet, has either hotly anticipated or already celebrated games like Satisfactory, The Walking Dead S4, , Metro Exodus, Hades or Ashen (EDIT: Switched out two games are wrongly calimed were exclusive), which you can ONLY get on that store - plus a myriad of free games for every user each month. Any person interested in any of those games - again, including the literal most popular game on the planet right now - is going to the Epic Store at some point and will automatically be confronted with huge advertisements for games like Shakedown Hawaii. There's WAY more incentive for millions of people to install the Epic Launcher and use their store compared to GoG Galaxy or the Discord Store.

In fact, you are making the very argument for why thes exclusivity deals are necessary to make the store valid and gain any kind of traction. If you don't, GoG and Discord and all the other stores show what happens. Such a small fraction of users actually buys your games or uses your Launcher/Platform, that it's ultimately not worth it. GoG just had to layoff a dozen employees and their Launcher GoG Galaxy went absolutely nowhere, since every is either only interested in buying their DRM-free games (something Epic Store also supports) or just buying a Steam key. Exclusive deals like this are the only way for a competitor to gain any kind of traction and make users even interested in their platform when your competitor's Launcher is controlling about 99% of the entire PC market.

That's what all of these "THIS IS A MONOPOLY/THIS IS COMPETITION" memes never talk about. All of these store listed, intended to show "competition" sell you Steam codes. It's supposed to look like there is competition going on, but it actually supports the argument of how Steam controls the entire market: Almost every one of these stores is simply another outlet to funnel you towards Steam.

How is that a bad thing ?
It seems like you're mixing the Steam storefront and the Steam backend.
What's the problem that games bought elsewhere use the most complete featureset backend ?

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States

Maybe it depends on what you play? For me ( out of nearly 700 games ) 95% support cloud saves. It's pretty rare for a game not to.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another game that will be forgotten, not by choice, any game releasing on EGS are fotgotten because I never open that thing for anything else than the free games.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I've got 701 games in my Steam library and, at a glance, around half of them don't support cloud saves.

It depends when the games have been released. There was a time Steam didnt offer cloud saves or it was harder to implement them. I would say in general out of my 3000 games 50% dont have it.
From my recently played games (so newer games) 80% support them. Some, like ubisoft games have cloud saves, that are not registered by Steam since the cloud saves are on uPlay.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
So this is how PC gaming falls.

It was already bad enough with oculus exclusive games. Accessory and storefront exclusives are gonna turn the PC community sour.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The biggest problem I have with this is that I don't like having several launchers on my machine tying up resources and eating up bandwidth for no reason. I already have Steam and Origin. I haven't even bothered to look into Epic's solution yet just because I feel like I already have enough places to buy and launch games from on my PC. Does it have a launcher or is it more like GoG?

I bought a few things from GoG but even then I was like "why can't I just buy this on Steam and make my life easier." I am happy that indies are getting other options though, as I understand Steam's increasing fees are hurting them more than ever. I'll probably wait for this to hit consoles though.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I bought a few things from GoG but even then I was like "why can't I just buy this on Steam and make my life easier." I am happy that indies are getting other options though, as I understand Steam's increasing fees are hurting them more than ever. I'll probably wait for this to hit consoles though.

Steams fees actually decreased if your game is sucessful. The 30% can become 20%.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Steams fees actually decreased if your game is sucessful. The 30% can become 20%.
That's if a game makes over $50 million (if I'm remembering right), which is almost impossible for a small indie game.

I feel this is just in place to incentivize the big publishers to stick with the steam platform, not to reward successful indies.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Not the first and won't be the last.

Epic pays out enough to more than cover the loss in sales they'll have compared to selling on multiple storefronts.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
What. GoG doesn't sell Steam keys. Uplay doesn't sell Steam keys. Origin doesn't sell Steam keys. Humble bundle gives you the choice of taking a Steam key if you want. Grey sites like CD key resellers resell CD keys that are any of the mentioned client keys.

You are entirely incorrect and throwing out hilariously inaccurate conspiracy theories. No one is funnelling to Steam, it's just an option for developers, a big one being it's offered the best for developers and all competition has done is show how half arsed they are. Epic is the same, despite the great dev cuts it's still just as half baked and they are resolving to buying out competition for the sake of traffic.

And the greatest thing of all: Epic is a monopoly now. They are forcing you to buy games on their platform at worse prices because no one else can sell them. And people are championing this shit.

You are severely misunderstanding my point. First, this is the meme I was talking about:

unknown.png

Monster Hunter World isn't, in fact, available on Origin. Or UPlay. Or GoG. It's a Steam exclusive. In fact, a huge, overwhelming majority of games is Steam exclusive. Let's go through the list of a few, recent games:

Tales of Vesperia: Steam Exclusive
YIIk: Steam Exclusive
Ace Combat 7: Steam Exclusive
At The Gates: Steam Exclusive
Life is Strange 2: Steam Exclusive
Devil may Cry V: Steam Exclusive

That's a random list I just picked with various types of games from various developers and publishers of different sizes. There is no way for you to play these games, if you don't want to use Steam. I could go on and on and on with this list there are very, very few games apart from first party titles that do not require you to install and use steam. That's what I'm talking about. That's the effective Monopoly people are complaining about. If you don't want to use Steam, you can't effectively play video games on PC. There is almost never a choice. Your post and these memes ignore that fact, acting like different Stores that funnel you back onto Steam somehow don't still grow Steam's userbase and strengthen their market position.

I don't like Steam. I think it's a bad platform made by a bad company with bad policies I do not want to support. And in the last several years, more and more developers voiced their unhappieness with the platform, too. But I have to support it. And so do the developers. Valve gets a 30 Percent Cut of almost every game I buy on PC. The Epic Store is the first legitimate chance since the establishment of Steam as the basic curator of most of the PC video game industry to change that. The first. The other alternatives there are with GoG, Origin and Uplay aren't true alternatives, since two of them are effectively only there to provide a Launcher for their first party games, with GoG not managing to catch on in a big enough way where enough games release on the platform.

Epic has that chance. But the absolute only reason they have that chance is to carve out their spot as a true competitor with exclusives. Because otherwise, people would simply still buy the games on Steam. Because that's what they are used to, that's where their account and their library is. I cheer the Epic Store on, because if it manages to catch on and if more and more developers release their games on a curated store I can trust not to feature Racists, Xenophobes or other trash like actualy fucking Rape Simulators, then that is a very simple, obvious win for me as a consumer. I very gladly live with the growing pains associated with that.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are severely misunderstanding my point. First, this is the meme I was talking about:

unknown.png

Monster Hunter World isn't, in fact, available on Origin. Or UPlay. Or GoG. It's a Steam exclusive. In fact, a huge, overwhelming majority of games is Steam exclusive. Let's go through the list of a few, recent games:

That's a random list I just picked with various types of games from various developers and publishers of different sizes. There is no way for you to play these games, if you don't want to use Steam. I could go on and on and on with this list there are very, very few games apart from first party titles that do not require you to install and use steam. That's what I'm talking about. That's the effective Monopoly people are complaining about. If you don't want to use Steam, you can't effectively play video games on PC. There is almost never a choice. Your post and these memes ignore that fact, acting like different Stores that funnel you back onto Steam somehow don't still grow Steam's userbase and strengthen their market position.

I don't like Steam. I think it's a bad platform made by a bad company with bad policies I do not want to support. And in the last several years, more and more developers voiced their unhappieness with the platform, too. But I have to support it. And so do the developers. Valve gets a 30 Percent Cut of almost every game I buy on PC. The Epic Store is the first legitimate chance since the establishment of Steam as the basic curator of most of the PC video game industry to change that. The first. The other alternatives there are with GoG, Origin and Uplay aren't true alternatives, since two of them are effectively only there to provide a Launcher for their first party games, with GoG not managing to catch on in a big enough way where enough games release on the platform.

Epic has that chance. But the absolute only reason they have that chance is to carve out their spot as a true competitor with exclusives. Because otherwise, people would simply still buy the games on Steam. Because that's what they are used to, that's where their account and their library is. I cheer the Epic Store on, because if it manages to catch on and if more and more developers release their games on a curated store I can trust not to feature Racists, Xenophobes or other trash like actualy fucking Rape Simulators, then that is a very simple, obvious win for me as a consumer. I very gladly live with the growing pains associated with that.
you think you can trust Tim "I don't think Alex Jones should be banned from Twitter" Sweeney? LMAO.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
you think you can trust Tim "I don't think Alex Jones should be banned from Twitter" Sweeney? LMAO.

I don't think I can trust any millionaires or companies. But I think that a second viable storefront that sets out to be curated is a definitive step in the right direction and a way better alternative than "Eh, guess I'm just gonna keep supporting Valve, noted hosts of such treasures as IS Defense and Rape Day".

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can trust any millionaires or companies. But I think that a second viable storefront that sets out to be curated is a definitive step in the right direction and a lot better than...nothing.
Curation is shit, and always will be shit. You're just picking winners and not letting 99% of devs in. It's a shit system and it will always be a shit system, because it means legitemately good games will be refused entry time and time and time again.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Curation is shit, and always will be shit. You're just picking winners and not letting 99% of devs in. It's a shit system and it will always be a shit system, because it means legitemately good games will be refused entry time and time and time again.

Epic is just moneyhatting already established indie devs and AAA studios that were already selling well or successful on Steam.

Oct 27, 2017

unknown.png

But those games not being on other platform isn't on Valve, that's the responsibility of their respective publishers. Valve isnt paying to keep those games 'Steam exclusive'. And as the guy above said, Epic isnt curating anything, they're just picking proved developers.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, fuck Tim Sweeney, but let's not act like Steam's been any better in this regard. They've allowed some really bad shit on their store and in their community until people made enough noise about it for them to do something. And their current policy is they'll allow anything on their store unless it's actually illegal or "straight-up trolling".