• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
no, that's one of the pluses. no space to foster all the hate groups that pitched their tent on steam, throwing vitriol at devs and being nazi hang out clubs etc etc.

if you have questions, just ask here. that's what the OT is for. if you have dev questions, ask the dev on twitter.

Lmao this may be the most ignorant thing I've read in this forum

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
no, that's one of the pluses. no space to foster all the hate groups that pitched their tent on steam, throwing vitriol at devs and being nazi hang out clubs etc etc.

if you have questions, just ask here. that's what the OT is for. if you have dev questions, ask the dev on twitter.
There's still plenty of space to foster hate, with or without a specific gaming forum.

Lack of a forum isn't going to put a dent in that matter. I mean you can just ignore it if you're not interested to take part in it.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

oh you must be joking

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

lmao what?

lack of a feature is actually a feature? huh, TIL

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Lmao this may be the most ignorant thing I've read in this forum
There's still plenty of space to foster hate, with or without a specific gaming forum.

Lack of a forum isn't going to put a dent in that matter. I mean you can just ignore it if you're not interested to take part in it.
oh you must be joking
lmao what?

lack of a feature is actually a feature? huh, TIL
y'all need to chill. this is their official line. should've know this would lead to this kind of reaction if I didn't specify every detail:

https://kotaku.com/the-guy-behind-steam-spy-has-been-working-on-epics-stor-1830890162

"That's why we won't have forums on Epic Games store and will start with a ticketing system, so gamers can message devs about their problems instead of review-bombing them."

now let's move on from that...

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

you mentioned nazis
there is nothing about that in your response touting the "official line" that you linked which only talked about review bombing

so selling the lack of a feature as a plus based on that reasoning you posted is all on you and is nothing "official"

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
see edit above, also what even does it matter if every word in my post is a part of that quote?! you do get the point I was trying to make, though?

no you're being extremely disingenuous and selling the lack of a feature as a positive over disgusting edge cases to disparage an entire platform and a huge community.
I'll say no more as I'm not derailing an OT any further, but your argument holds no water.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
no you're being extremely disingenuous and selling the lack of a feature as a positive over disgusting edge cases to disparage an entire platform and a huge community.
I'll say no more as I'm not derailing an OT any further, but your argument holds no water.
I'm not making any argument. I'm telling you what they said supported by well established context examples. I honestly don't care if they do or don't have forums. What I failed to do was make clear that this was their argument in the initial reply.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see why just because a minority of people on steam forums are shitstains it means no forums is a good thing?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I fail to see why just because a minority of people on steam forums are shitstains it means no forums is a good thing?

It's because the people saying that are dissaccociated with what they're talking about, and would rather anything that can be used for hate that they don't care about just die then care for any nuance in a subject they aren't immediately involved with.

There have been shitty people on this forum, so I guess that haters are right, this place should be shut down. Like, it's absolutely ridiculous. Some folks are allergic to discussion, and addicted to snappy quotes. Gotta learn to talk past them sometimes.

I'll never put anything on ignore, but I will refrain from acknowledging low effort derailment.

Edit: oh jeez, I didn't even realize what I just did, sorry!

On topic, I absolutely adore the way all the characters are animated, the random system for the characters, the weirdly amazing depth in clothing options...

Whoever did all the moment-to-moment graphic design in the game is a real genius! The game looks and feels beautiful!

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about Shakedown Hawaii. Please go back to discussing the game rather than throwing your comments about any forums related to PC Storefronts (Or lack thereof). There are numerous other threads to discuss that specific topic in.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So do they have an ETA on the "Basic features" update for the game? It would also be nice if they included a way to buy multipliers en masse, or move the numbers much, much faster when editing your personal salary instead of having to hold the button and wait as it scrolls through every single dollar amount. Come on guys, this is basic quality-of-life shit that shouldn't have been an afterthought after you release the game.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So do they have an ETA on the "Basic features" update for the game? It would also be nice if they included a way to buy multipliers en masse, or move the numbers much, much faster when editing your personal salary instead of having to hold the button and wait as it scrolls through every single dollar amount. Come on guys, this is basic quality-of-life shit that shouldn't have been an afterthought after you release the game.
Vblank is more or less a one-man dev, while those are very basic features, cut them some slack at least in terms of tone. Ask on twitter, it's quite likely you get an answer.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not defending the developer, but I'm not surprised a lot of basic stuff is missing. He's the type of creator that doesn't know when to stop adding content to his game (for better or worse) and probably just decided to release it now, as the game's original release date was April, 2017 (for some reason). I expect MANY updates in the coming months and an eventual DX version (free for all owners of the base game) with even more stuff added.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Great little game, I'm enjoying it much more than Retro City Rampage. The business simulator elements add that extra something to it to keep you invested in the world; while this game is pretty mindless, RCR was a little too mindless for me to be kept entertained throughout. I kinda wanna beat this 100% if I can. It's fun and charming. The SNES aesthetic owns.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I would love for someone to ask the developer why he decided to make the game completely devoid of challenge. It seems like a strange decision for a retro-styled game of this sort. Injecting at least some semblance of challenge would've added a lot more "meat" to the experience. At it is you just coast through the entire game mindlessly. Even making money quickly becomes braindead and you have more cash than you could ever spend.
I'm not going to go all-in on the dev, but I do think the difficulty could have been made a tad harder.

Having said that, I'm frequently an advocate of making games simpler so I actually get to see all of it rather than getting frustrated halfway through, so perhaps I'm just a massive hypocrite.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm not going to go all-in on the dev, but I do think the difficulty could have been made a tad harder.

Having said that, I'm frequently an advocate of making games simpler so I actually get to see all of it rather than getting frustrated halfway through, so perhaps I'm just a massive hypocrite.
Maybe there's a compromise to be found here. Maybe it's not even the difficulty but how engaging the activities are. It's not always just about "ooh I have to react faster or memorize this and that better so I don't fail" ...

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Goddamn, the writing in this game is perfect. So many relevant jabs at marketing and society as a whole, it's really good.

It's almost as if it's a proper (old style) GTA distilled to its core elements, yet advanced without any fluff.
Honestly it feels like its partly what a modern GTA would be if it stayed 2d over the top imo

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, is there a bug in the diamonds mission? I'm collecting diamonds as the hired muscle guy, but the diamond tally never goes up, just the amount of cash he has.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Beat this today, fun time. Last 1/3 of the game had an odd tone with all the fretting about business units "failing" and Featherbottom, as I was basically God at that point... making 8+ mil a day, I basically bought everything available on the map and still had 25 missions left. Gaming the multipliers makes it super easy to make an absurd amount of cash. Ended the game owning 78% of the island and hauling in 29M a day.

Even without any of those things, it's super easy to make a ridiculous amount of money, and whole campaign was only like 6 hours or so. I never really had to use personal money for anything anyway.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Even without any of those things, it's super easy to make a ridiculous amount of money, and whole campaign was only like 6 hours or so. I never really had to use personal money for anything anyway.
No, it's not difficult. I finished the main story tonight making over $50m per day. Though the fact there's no way to buy multipliers in bulk is very irksome, as you can spend quite a bit of time having to go down each individual list and purchasing each one. The developer clearly doesn't value the player's time when there are oversights like this.

misterBee

Aug 16, 2018
Though the fact there's no way to buy multipliers in bulk is very irksome, as you can spend quite a bit of time having to go down each individual list and purchasing each one. The developer clearly doesn't value the player's time when there are oversights like this.

That's not true...I'm on PC if that makes any difference.

Using an Xbox Controller:
Manage a business by hitting the A button. Then hit Y to see multipliers. Hit Y again to buy all. It will show you how much everything will cost -- then hit A to confirm.

I finished the game, purchased every building on the island, and maxed out multipliers for all of them. If I didn't have the ability to buy all multipliers at once I would have miserable.

Last edited:

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Never played RCR and hadn't even heard of this, but I just might get it due to the PSV/PS4 cross-buy support.

Impressions seem good and I've got some space bux knocking around, so thinking I'll dust off the Vita.
Feels good to support small studios, too!

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yo I need Vita performance impressions asap.
Bit late, but Vita performance is solid. Haven't experienced any slowdown so far, even in challenge missions where you're shooting rockets and crates are exploding in a shower of coins everywhere and pedestrians are running in all directions.

Initial boot up takes about 10secs, everything after that is instantaneous. Tiny footprint as well.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Bit late, but Vita performance is solid. Haven't experienced any slowdown so far, even in challenge missions where you're shooting rockets and crates are exploding in a shower of coins everywhere and pedestrians are running in all directions.

Initial boot up takes about 10secs, everything after that is instantaneous. Tiny footprint as well.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, how do I acquire residential properties? Can't find any on the map that the owners are willing to sell, and can't seem to, like, shakedown a house or anything like that.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

https://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/1129807917626978304

WHAT'S IN THE UPDATE?
  • More Shakedown Scenarios
  • Car Repossession
  • Weapon Pawning
  • Shop Icons added to the map
  • Expands some building interiors
  • Character upgrades can now be unequipped
  • Faster property and multipliers purchasing
  • Salary can now be increased quicker
  • Police chases improved
  • Horns/sirens added to vehicles
  • Misc. bug fixes

Details:
https://www.vblank.com/20190516_sh_update.php

SHAKEDOWNS
The game is designed to be a smooth ride. By the time you complete the main story missions, you'll have the resources to easily acquire the entire island. However, if you attempt to take over the island too early, it will be more of an uphill battle.

You can earn extra cash and territory by completing shakedowns, but the big payouts occur on main story missions. This wasn't conveyed clearly enough initially, and some players focused entirely on the shakedowns, ignoring the main missions, and thus, struggled to earn the capital they needed for island domination. This update adds more dialogue and guidance to better steer players towards the end goal.

More variety has also been added to the shakedowns with additional protection scenarios.

MULTIPLIERS & PROPERTY ACQUISITION
By popular request! It appears that many of you want to max out the entire island, so your wish is my command.

Note: The game is designed such that multipliers don't need to be added to every business. With a few strategic placements, you can achieve 100% without any tedium. However, those of you who want to load everything up can now do so in a streamlined way.

Purchase confirmations can now be turned off, enabling one-click property and multiplier purchasing. A new "Buy All Multipliers" button has been added, and your salary can also be increased much quicker.

CAR REPOSSESSION
Garages have been added to Subprime Auto locations. Subprime-leased vehicles can now be jacked from the roads and returned to Subprime Auto locations under your ownership. Each repossessed vehicle delivered will increase your daily revenue.

SELLING WEAPONS
Weapons can now be sold to pawn shops to earn extra cash and free up your inventory.

EQUIP/UNEQUIP CHARACTER UPGRADES
Character upgrades (double jump, speed boost, etc.) can now be unequipped at any time by visiting the veterinary clinic.

SHOP LOCATION ICONS
By popular demand, shop location icons have been added to the map! They can be turned on/off via the Map Icons menu, and For Sale and Shakedown locations can also now be turned off to declutter things.

POLICE CHASES
It's now easier to keep your threat level and duke it out to the maximum heat. It's also now easier to obtain the "Get Inconspicuous" trophy.

HORNS & SIRENS
Car horns and sirens have been added to vehicles. Select them via the weapon menu (they're the first slot) and activate them with the shoot button.

BUG FIXES
If you've reported a bug, it's probably fixed :) All of your emails, tweets and messages have been received and most reported bugs are covered by this update. If you encounter any more, please keep the messages coming!

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm liking this update. Scooter is a pain to upgrade at the Vet. I kind of wish he could get allowance from his dad/Feeble like his dad gets from the company.

Stupid question, how do I acquire residential properties? Can't find any on the map that the owners are willing to sell, and can't seem to, like, shakedown a house or anything like that.
Stuff becomes available to purchase as you play through the missions. You'll eventually get access to everything over time.

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Had no idea this was released! Will pick up the PS4/Vita version, sadly I missed out on the physical cartridge :(

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Pre update I've shookdown everything I can and I own most of the properties I can (I'm about 75% into the story) really enjoying this.