• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It is 100% ageist and sexist when Pelosi gets 10 times the flak other Democrats in Congress receive, even those more conservative than she is. Or are people out there desperately talking shit about Kurt Schrader? Not even Schumer gets anywhere near that kind of animosity directed towards him.
She's much more visible than either of them as the speaker, so that's not really surprising.

Ghoul being ageist I could maybe see, but I doubt anyone is getting pulled up on throwing it at the Rumsfelds and Boltons of the world. I've never seen it gendered.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the thing about him working for a tech company that had a stake in net neutrality erosion came out, I was unsure about Shahid. This overshadows everything. He shouldn't have ran in the first place.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
She's much more visible than either of them as the speaker, so that's not really surprising.

Ghoul being ageist I could maybe see, but I doubt anyone is getting pulled up on throwing it at the Rumsfelds and Boltons of the world. I've never seen it gendered.

People who follow politics enough to have a very strong opinion on Nancy Pelosi are obviously aware of a vast amount of Democrats in Congress. What are progressives mad at her for specifically that other Democratic members of the House shouldn't be equally blamed for?

madame x

May 15, 2020
No one would ever be incensed by what kind of ice cream a male Speaker of the House had in their fridge. Let's be halfway honest here, it's not just due to her position.
the right attacks her in bad faith, of course, and its wrong.

but this is a different type of criticism (calling her a ghoul) that we were talking about.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
sexism and sexual harassment aren't exclusive domains of the right. I see a lot of fucked up attitudes on the left and especially from far left chapo types. the reverse prudish attitude about people choosing to not have sex is really just the cherry on top

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Jesus did Nancy steal your lunch money or something?

She stole all of our lunch money, she is in her big donor's pockets. Sucks that shahid sucks, and it's pretty damning when you have multiple staffers coming out against you.

Nancy getting ousted would have been nice. Nancy, her cohorts in congress, and supporters stand in the way of actual life improvement for the majority of the citizens of this country.

madame x

May 15, 2020
Yeah, those attacks certainly didn't come from the right.
a lot came from the hypocritical right wingers (hence the bad faith that i mentioned) but honestly she did seem like she was kinda flaunting her wealth unwittingly.

whatever though. i do dislike her as a leader but this thread is about shahid. he should drop out, and she was gonna win anyway, wish we would have gotten a more principled and better person to challenge her from the left.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one would ever be incensed by what kind of ice cream a male Speaker of the House had in their fridge. Let's be halfway honest here, it's not just due to her position.
This is really missing any point of criticism coming from the left and is a straw man. The 2 expensive fridges filled with food that she was showing off in her safe and protected mansion while people were forming lines for miles around food donation sites during a pandemic was not something that stirred positive emotions in people on the left. It's not hard to understand why people with a class dynamic in their beliefs would take issue with this scenario and continued effort to make it about something else is disingenuous and honestly a bit vile.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the thread is derailed into an argument about pelosi. You fucks are pathetic. Someone got sexually harassed.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this sucks.

Though I didn't really follow him, I understand there was some hope placed in him as a smart and decidedly more left-wing challenger to Pelosi. I remember Sam Seder interviewing him quite a while ago, and he had nothing but praise for him at the time.

It sucks that there doesn't seem to be any credible challenger left, but the fucker should drop out. Unacceptable.

staff post - stay on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about incredibly horrible sexual assault allegations. Either you are here to discuss those or you're derailing the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
theintercept.com

Shahid Buttar's Bid to Unseat Nancy Pelosi Roiled by Accusations of Staff Mistreatment (Updated)

The allegations prompted the San Francisco DSA chapter to consider a draft resolution rescinding the organization’s endorsement of Shahid Buttar.

Complaints about the campaign's culture came to a head this week, when 44 members of the DSA SF chapter — including three former Buttar campaign staffers, Patrick Cochran, Raya Steier, and Sasha Perigo — signed on to a proposed resolution to rescind their endorsement of him. The resolution cited a sexual harassment accusation from a former acquaintance — which was made public Tuesday on Medium, and which Buttar has denied — and "a pattern of abuse including but not limited to sexual inappropriate behavior with his staff and volunteers." The Intercept could not independently corroborate the accusation by the former acquaintance or the charge of sexually inappropriate behavior.

The proposed resolution goes on to state that Buttar "mismanaged his campaign by treating his campaign team, specifically the women, in a belittling, demeaning, hyper controlling and abusive manner. The Shahid Buttar campaign has had massive turnover for months because of Shahid's behavior with many key staff positions still not filled."

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
We ain't supporting sex pests.

You should believe women when they come forward with their stories. No one who does this kind of stuff should be running for any public office.

And shame on people who rush to discredit victims.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
"a pattern of abuse including but not limited to sexual inappropriate behavior with his staff and volunteers."

I'm shocked
sexism and sexual harassment aren't exclusive domains of the right. I see a lot of fucked up attitudes on the left and especially from far left chapo types. the reverse prudish attitude about people choosing to not have sex is really just the cherry on top
There is nothing about sexual assault or harassment that is exclusive to political parties. This shit happens across the board, left, right, center, everything in between

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Former staffers said Buttar's campaign staff has already completely turned over twice, with more than half a dozen employees or contractors quitting at around the same time in April or May.

"As a male staffer, Shahid never did anything terrible to me. But women staffers? A completely different picture," said Patrick Cochran, Buttar's former volunteer coordinator.

Yeah, he's gotta go. I've supported his challenge to Pelosi but this is miles over the line.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post
A thread about a serial sexual assaulter, and some of y'all still gotta get your Pelosi pot-shots in, huh?

You're telling on yourselves.

It's always been a team sport to most people.

Don't let them fool you with their righteousness act.

Not a team sport, we just demand better, and it's a damn shame the only real challenge to her turned out to pretend to be good for the cause.

It's pretty hilarious that people still prop up Pelosi as someone that actually cares about them. She does not care for us, we're not wealthy. She does not fight for us, she fights to improve the life of her donors. Based on the donor angle, why would anyone want to support her anymore. There are other politicians that will do the good that Pelosi has done in the past, and then surpass her with not only doing the bidding of the wealthy class and brushing some of the crums off the table to those under-classed folk.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a team sport, we just demand better, and it's a damn shame the only real challenge to her turned out to pretend to be good for the cause.

It's pretty hilarious that people still prop up Pelosi as someone that actually cares about them. She does not care for us, we're not wealthy. She does not fight for us, she fights to improve the life of her donors. Based on the donor angle, why would anyone want to support her anymore. There are other politicians that will do the good that Pelosi has done in the past, and then surpass her with not only doing the bidding of the wealthy class and brushing some of the crums off the table to those under-classed folk.

This is a textbook strawman. No one is "propping her up" like she cares about us. Like, who are you even talking to?

I, and other folk in this thread, are tired of the blind tribalism in a topic that is frankly irrelevant to that. Do you dislike Pelosi? Cool, that's all good. Keep it moving. But don't come into a thread about a serial abuser, hurling insults at someone not even related, or defend that behavior like it's at all rational.

I'm out.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
This is a textbook strawman. No one is "propping her up" like she cares about us. Like, who are you even talking to?

I, and other folk in this thread, are tired of the blind tribalism in a topic that is frankly irrelevant to that. Do you dislike Pelosi? Cool, that's all good. Keep it moving. But don't come into a thread about a serial abuser, hurling insults at someone not even related, or defend that behavior like it's at all rational.

I'm out.
well ok then, I'm out too.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Please don't bump months' old threads. If there are new developments feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.