• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Croydon said one incident that happened a decade later was "intimately embarrassing and traumatic for me to talk about." After a poetry performance, she wrote, she and Buttar gathered with a group of people to catch up. One friend asked everyone when was the last time they had sex, and Croydon said she had been celibate for years, she wrote.

"Shahid's response shocked and embarrassed me," Croydon wrote. "'Oh, my god, that is way too long! How can you go without sex that long? That's insane! I couldn't do it, you poor thing. It must be so hard.'"

Croydon wrote that she had replied that her "celibacy was a voluntary decision because it helped me cope with surviving sexual assaults, batteries and other misconduct. I felt degraded, nauseated, and revolted that he would mock me in front of friends who looked to me as an outspoken voice for women."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Shahid-Buttar-Nancy-Pelosi-s-election-15424675.php

Medium post with more details

One specific incident happened at Shahid's communal home. I had gone to the kitchen to get a drink when Shahid sneaked up behind me. He cornered me with his body and got so close and brushed up against my breasts. He blocked me in so I could not move away and gave me a weird smile that unnerved me. This was during the time that he was repeatedly harassing me for sex. Although he didn't say anything to me, this interaction was meant to intimidate me. He eventually let me pass. I made it very clear I was not interested nor would I tolerate further advances and I left the house.

Another article claiming that he was mistreating female staff members

Former staffers said Buttar's campaign staff has already completely turned over twice, with more than half a dozen employees or contractors quitting at around the same time in April or May.

"As a male staffer, Shahid never did anything terrible to me. But women staffers? A completely different picture," said Patrick Cochran, Buttar's former volunteer coordinator.

Cochran recalls his female colleagues needing to gather "three or four men" to have their ideas taken seriously by the candidate.

William Fitzgerald, who handled PR for Buttar, shared similar memories: "It felt to me, as a white guy, he listened to me a lot more than the women members of his team," said Fitzgerald, a principal at The Worker Agency.

"It was obvious and he would often speak down to and be extremely rude to women. And in front of lots of people. And it was not a one-off and not to just one woman."

Fitzgerald says he broke ties with the campaign in April. "We wanted to see him through the primary."

Multiple former campaign staffers declined interviews, including former campaign manager Jasper Wilde and finance director Emily Jones, citing non-disparagement clauses in their contracts. Buttar denied the existence of the NDAs.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That quote is tame compared to what the rest of the original Medium article alleges. Worth reading that instead.

medium.com

Shahid Buttar Repeatedly Sexually Harassed Me

I have known Shahid Buttar for nearly 20 years. When I met Shahid in 2003 he lived in a communal home in DC which served as a hub for…
even compared to the rest of the linked news story, not sure why that's the quoted part

"I physically distanced myself from him at parties, turned down invitations, informed a friend I felt uncomfortable, avoided being alone with him, and eventually stopped going to the communal home until he moved out," Croydon wrote. "Shahid let me know he was sexually available to me for years."

why would you let someone know you're "sexually available"

thats fucking weird

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
even compared to the rest of the linked news story, not sure why that's the quoted part

thats fucking weird
I don't think he worded it that way lol. DTF is not an uncommon thing. However, Buttar is clearly a predator who can't take no for an answer.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should drop out. It's a shame cause he had a fairly progressive platform, but we can wait a few years to get rid of the ghoul.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Croydon, who has appeared on NBC's "The Tonight Show" and "Last Comic Standing," wrote that she first met Buttar in 2003 in Washington, when he lived "in a communal home which served as a hub for freelance opportunities in activism and the arts."

She said she went there to "network and see other artists despite the fact that Shahid consistently made me feel uncomfortable."

She wrote that Buttar "repeatedly pursued me for sex."

"I physically distanced myself from him at parties, turned down invitations, informed a friend I felt uncomfortable, avoided being alone with him, and eventually stopped going to the communal home until he moved out," Croydon wrote. "Shahid let me know he was sexually available to me for years."
Not just done poorly timed comment or something, he appears to have harassed her multiple times.

Inexcusable and gross. Feel terrible for her

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020

thats fucking weird
The article is kind of shit unfortunately. Thankfully her account is available to read. Seems like maybe the newspaper piece is trying to blunt the accusation?

OP
OP
Nox

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
That quote is tame compared to what the rest of the original Medium article alleges. Worth reading that instead.

medium.com

Shahid Buttar Repeatedly Sexually Harassed Me

I have known Shahid Buttar for nearly 20 years. When I met Shahid in 2003 he lived in a communal home in DC which served as a hub for…

thats fucking weird
I would have definitely gone with all the other incidents in the Medium article over that one OP

Added the medium post to the OP. That is my bad

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not just done poorly timed comment or something, he appears to have harassed her multiple times.

Inexcusable and gross. Feel terrible for her
It was serial harassment based on her Medium account.

She also mentions his advances triggering PSTD. Won't post here, but she wrote it up in her article.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus did Nancy steal your lunch money or something?

I'm not going to derail the thread, but I am all for young progressives primarying out of touch life-time politicians in safe blue seats. Shahid clearly isn't that person, and needs to go. Hopefully we can find someone better next time because I do think it is possible.

Oct 25, 2017
He should drop out. It's a shame cause he had a fairly progressive platform, but we can wait a few years to get rid of the ghoul.

He already lost the vote by like 50 points. Sticking around after the jungle primary where only two of the people got any meaningful chunk of the vote is just a formality. He has no chance of winning, at all, and online leftists throwing money into that race rather than a bunch of actually winnable races that would make more of a difference is just totally disgusting,

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda gross how certain parts of twitter rallied around this fucker.
A thread about sexual harrasement and you still managed to threw in an ageist insult at a woman.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had my reservations about this dude but cautiously supported his candidacy as a progressive but this seals it. He needs to Fuck off

Oct 25, 2017
Shame this is the only thing we got running against Pelosi right now and he's an utter creep. Hopefully he gets forced to drop out and we can get a replacement.

Oct 25, 2017
Shame this is the only thing we got running against Pelosi right now and he's an utter creep. Hopefully he gets forced to drop out and we can get a replacement.

It was a jungle primary. It's done. Pelosi won 74-13. Even if they do something insane like cascade it down to 3rd place, they'd be getting somebody that Pelosi got abut 10x the number of votes of.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to derail the thread, but I am all for young progressives primarying out of touch life-time politicians in safe blue seats. Shahid clearly isn't that person, and needs to go. Hopefully we can find someone better next time because I do think it is possible.
Pelosi is the Speaker of the House, even if she is safe blue seat she can't only look for the progressive members, she needs to cater to the representatives in conservative and moderate districts.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointing. There's just too many allegations to ignore.

There are probably state and local races in San Fran that a $27 donation would go long way than giving it to Shahid.

Gotta start finding a better progressive to back in 2022.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if you are dumb enough to waste your time running against her you probably have a bunch of other issues hidden like this.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
My wife knows Elizabeth Croydon through the DC comedy scene. Croydon has been known to be a very strong DSA/Bernie Sanders supporter and very anti-establishment Democrat. She would not to see Democrat's like Nancy Pelosi keep their seats. For Croydon to speak out against this man who is going against Pelosi says to me that her allegations against Buttar are very credible.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
This guy sucks and needs to drop out. Fuck him.

It's not ageist, sexist, or purity testing to just want a candidate who supports universal healthcare and the Green New Deal.

It is 100% ageist and sexist when Pelosi gets 10 times the flak other Democrats in Congress receive, even those more conservative than she is. Or are people out there desperately talking shit about Kurt Schrader? Not even Schumer gets anywhere near that kind of animosity directed towards him.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I'm not familiar with the term "ghoul" being a gendered insult and I'm sure the poster people are dog piling didn't either. I mostly see the word used against like white make neocon republicans.

madame x

May 15, 2020
It is 100% ageist and sexist when Pelosi gets 10 times the flak other Democrats in Congress receive, even those more conservative than she is. Or are people out there desperately talking shit about Kurt Schrader? Not even Schumer gets anywhere near that kind of animosity directed towards him.
i agree that schumer deserves more crap, especially with his jeffrey epstein ties.

but pelosi is the most powerful and also well known democrat rep. of course shes gonna get the most shit since shes the defacto leader (schumer isnt)

ghoul also is just a term for a corrupt cynical politician. feel free to disagree that it applies to nancy though, but its a commonly used term by progressives and thats the connotation.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

I have no doubt some of the stick Pelosi gets is because of innate ageism and sexism. However you do have to consider her position and the publicity tied to that - Pelosi is one of the most important and well known politicians in the country so people are more aware of her and her presence.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
i agree that schumer deserves more crap, especially with his jeffrey epstein ties.

but pelosi is the most powerful and also well known democrat rep. of course shes gonna get the most shit since shes the defacto leader (schumer isnt)

ghoul also is just a term for a corrupt cynical politician. feel free to disagree that it applies to nancy though, but its a commonly used term by progressives and thats the connotation.

No one would ever be incensed by what kind of ice cream a male Speaker of the House had in their fridge. Let's be halfway honest here, it's not just due to her position.

Status
Not open for further replies.