• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Shadow The Hedgehog is widely reviled and for good reasons seeing as someone thought it was a good idea to give a 3 foot cartoon hedgehog guns and swearing. That being said, I see this game as so bad it's good because of just how absurd the premise is as the game is pretty hilarious with its overly dark tones and ideals. I will say that the music is pretty good though

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I had to beat that friggin' game 10 times to see the real ending. That makes it worse than Sonic '06

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Music is good, split paths and multiple endings good, I liked it enough. The game play was good enough.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is probably the most fun I've had with an objectively bad game, and the concept of branching stages each with their own objectives is genuinely brilliant.

And the soundtrack fucking slaps.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I remember getting super hyped for it because I was 12 and thought Shadow was so much edgier and cooler than Sonic LOL

But yeah it's fun for what it is.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Shadow the hedgehog would actually be a much better game if the objectives where like go to different part of the levels rather than shit like collect 100 rings or kill all the soldiers.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I played it enough to get the true ending

it took me 10 years to finish Final Fantasy VII for the first time

my teenage self had weird priorities

Violet1370

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played Shadow the hedgehog a lot when i was younger and i really enjoyed it, played it again for a bit recently and while it's pretty rough i still had fun with it.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Level design is actually surprisingly competent for the most part (some real stinkers in there like The ARK and a lot of the final levels.) But the objectives and the fact you gotta play the game 10 times for the real ending kinda kill it.

I was ready to hate the game but ended up liking more about it than I expected.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_pdhc7sGQOO1rn5mvzo5_r1_500.gif

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Level design is actually surprisingly competent for the most part (some real stinkers in there like The ARK and a lot of the final levels.) But the objectives and the fact you gotta play the game 10 times for the real ending kinda kill it.

I was ready to hate the game but ended up liking more about it than I expected.
Central City has awful design

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
The gameplay only felt tolerable after putting up with Heroes' BS. I tried to go back to it once and I just can't with that slippin' an' slidin'.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I actually don't think the gameplay was bad. And I got zero bugs on the GameCube version

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget this EDGY teaser for this game complete with bullet hole through Sonic's great legacy:

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being so incredibly hyped for this game...I was 14 for most of the run up to its release. And man it couldn't have been more "of its time". So edgy. I won't lie though...some of those vocal tracks still call to me. They really went in hard on getting some A grade edgelord music in this game. I actually tried to get all 326 unique play throughs back then....I think I got to about 70 before I gave up though.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the fuck it isn't. That game is straight up unplayable trash.
I respect your opinion of the game, but I find it hard to believe that a game of this quality can be called "unplayable trash" when games like Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom are arguably within the same series of games (only reason it's arguably is because one could make the claim it's a spinoff... but come on no need to be splitting hairs)

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

has a picture in the White House office of Sonic and Shadow

fuck Trump

the Shadow the hedgehog POTUS is our true hero!

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow the Hedgehog is like a B-tier horror film turned video game and I love it

Special shoutouts to the ending where Shadow pistol-whips Eggman as the screen goes dark

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Shadow isn't so bad it's good, it's so bad it's boring.
I'm never getting the true ending because of that.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

has a picture in the White House office of Sonic and Shadow

fuck Trump

the Shadow the hedgehog POTUS is our true hero!
Trump would probably single out Shadow when he inevitably slams the whole Sonic gang on twitter to dogwistle to his base that he's "the black one" and therefore the one they should hate the most.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
T5LnJetl_o.gif

Its devotion to branching paths and its weird kinda sorta non-linear approach to level design was really cool, at least in theory.

Honestly, its biggest problem is the fact that half the mission objectives are "hunt down and take out every last enemy of a certain type in this entire level. There's 40 of them."

He pumps an assault rifle in the opening movie.

Hint: That's Not How Those Guns Work

lWjEmjGp_o.gif

I don't see a problem here. This is a standard gun activity.

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
I remember getting super hyped for it because I was 12 and thought Shadow was so much edgier and cooler than Sonic LOL

But yeah it's fun for what it is.
Same here 100%. This is why I never judge kids getting excited for whatever game because I did get excited for Shadow the Hedgehog when I was little, and I also 100% it. Ignorance is a bliss.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game 10 times and got the true ending. I think it's just bad. It's existence will never cease to bring plenty of laughs though.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing entertaining about the gameplay. There are certainly parts that are entertainingly bad, but overall the game is just a chore.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's like when you watch too many bad movies so you're not sure you can recognize a good movie anymore.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It's not the worst Sonic game if you run to the end of each level and ignore the enemy farming.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I don't think it's awful to play (the Gamecube version anyway), but what really kills it is how you have to play through levels over and over again if you want to get the true ending. You have to play through the game ten times in total, completing each particular route twice, and there is overlap between the levels in different routes. Tedious.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Agreed. It's definitely one of my "guilty pleasure" games for lack of a better term. And I also agree with the game having a good soundtrack. It even has Crush 40's best song "Never Turn Back."