• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
www.ign.com

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice Review - IGN

Shadow Tactics' finest assassins play us out with a polished, exciting standalone encore.

Very positive review from Leana Hafer, giving it a 9/10. Three big new missions and three interludes that are as challenging as anything in the end game of the original, and just a delight to hang out with the old gang one last time. Definitely not for new players though.

Nice!! And 12 hours too, can't wait!!

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else been messing around with ST to get ready? I basically look for any excuse to start up those games.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely adored Shadow Tactics and am playing through Desperados 3 now.

Looking forward to this new standalone. Anyone know if it is coming to GP at all?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, PC exclusive:
www.mimimi.games

Aiko's Choice will be PC exclusive! - Mimimi Games

Aiko's Choice is a brand-new standalone expansion to the beloved stealth tactics game Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun – set to release as PC exclusive in late 2021!

I probably don't know enough (almost anything) about game development, but I don't get it. Both the original game and D3 were running great on consoles. I fail to see how the same exact game with basically new maps cannot run on the existing console engines. Oh well, I'll enjoy it on PC like the other two games.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I probably don't know enough (almost anything) about game development, but I don't get it. Both the original game and D3 were running great on consoles. I fail to see how the same exact game with basically new maps cannot run on the existing console engines. Oh well, I'll enjoy it on PC like the other two games.

Console manufactures drop support for older versions of engines like Unity (which this game uses) and Unreal as time progresses. You cannot get through certification unless you port the game to a newer version which can introduce a boatload of issues, PC does not have that issue and you can use old development tools without restriction.

The Mimimi Games team would have to port Aiko's Choice to a newer version of Unity to release on console.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Looks awesome!!

Still very disappointed in the decision to make this for PC only and not bring to PS4/PS5.

At least they straight up said, we dont have the manpower or money to go back and rework the older console version at this time. So while it sucks cause i wanna play this expansion too. At least they were honest unlike most companies who dont say anything.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Console manufactures drop support for older versions of engines like Unity (which this game uses) and Unreal as time progresses. You cannot get through certification unless you port the game to a newer version which can introduce a boatload of issues, PC does not have that issue and you can use old development tools without restriction.

The Mimimi Games team would have to port Aiko's Choice to a newer version of Unity to release on console.

Thanks for the clarification! It makes sense now. Such a shame a talented team does not have the resources to publish on current consoles. I would love to see a Commando 4 by them.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification! It makes sense now. Such a shame a talented team does not have the resources to publish on current consoles. I would love to see a Commando 4 by them.

I don't think this has any implications on new games. Those will have started on a newer Unity version, and might be moving to new versions as necessary before release. It's just that they didn't think it was worth it to upgrade for an old game. It can be quite a lot of work.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Oh wow, didn't know about this. I have not played through Desperados 3 yet but more Shadow Tactics is always a big yes.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love that I'm playing new levels in Shadow Tactics. This game is great.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Shadow Tactics and I'm sure this is similarly great, but I plan on playing Desperados 3 before picking this up so I don't get fatigue from the setting.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I didn't remember this was a thing. Such a great surprise to see it already released.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Got it even if I won't have time to play it for a while. $22 CAD is a fair price and I wanted to support the devs.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I loved Shadow Tactics and I'm sure this is similarly great, but I plan on playing Desperados 3 before picking this up so I don't get fatigue from the setting.
D3 is *chef kiss*
i read that this new expansion doesn't have the QOL improvements from D3 due to the engine switch. Not sure if that means you're better of playing this before D3 through.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
D3 is *chef kiss*
i read that this new expansion doesn't have the QOL improvements from D3 due to the engine switch. Not sure if that means you're better of playing this before D3 through.

What are the QoL upgrades? I remember Shadow Tactics being pretty slick all around.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
What are the QoL upgrades? I remember Shadow Tactics being pretty slick all around.

I thought Shogun didn't have the option to see who is spotting a point in the map, but it turns it does. Or at least the expansion does. The only other thing I can think of is that Showdown mode stops time in Desperados, whereas it does not in Shadow tactics.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Bought! Can't wait to dig into this. I can't believe it's been 5 years since the original game. I really hope it leads to a full sequel or Mimimi doing an off-brand Commandos style game.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer looks nice though some (most?) of the settings seem reused from the main game.

Anyhow, i'm on console so i can't play this but for those who can, have fun :) Shadow Tactics was such an awesome game.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed this is now listed on the Playstation store for a release this year.