• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
IMPORTANT: First let me say what this isn't: this isn't a thread about how devs should ignore fan feedback and trust their vision alone. Although I have no doubt that it's the latter that should be the driving principle in any game and the creators should always have the final word, taking account fan feedback can be important and can often result in a better sequel.

So the thread proper:

A common criticism concerning Shadow of the Tomb Raider is that it has little combat, or at least not as much combat as it should have had. This was always weird to me because the other two games in the (second) Tomb Raider reboot were criticized for having too much of it, especially the first game (I thought the balance in Rise was excellent). So how come this 180?

Undestand why they did it is easy. Indeed, I was just searching a bit about the game and found this interview with the game's director, a small quote from it:

I spoke with Creative Director Daniel Chayer-Bisson at PAX West 2018 and he explained to me that while the two previous games in the series were as much as 60% combat focused, with the remaining portion split between puzzles and traversal elements, Shadow was designed to be more of an even split between the three major gameplay pillars. The reason for this was because, as the end of Lara's origin story, Shadow needed to better resemble the classic Tomb Raider games that inspired the new trilogy

And this makes sense. Although I think it's easy to downplay how much combat there was in the original games, the logic here is sound. To make Shadow closer to the original games, one must change the balance between combat, platforming and puzzles. And by doing that they would be heeding the feedback of many fans, especially long time ones.

So why doesn't it work? (And here I'm obviously agreeing with people saying SotTR has too little combat)

I think it's because the devs failed to see the big picture. They failed to see the many connections between the game's many elements and how changing one or the other might have a negative impact on the final product. Primarily, they failed to see how TR2013 is geared towards combat and action, and how that affects platforming and puzzles. The 2013 game was primarily an action game, not just because of how much combat it had compared to other things, but because of its gameplay focus. It's not only that there was less platforming compared to previous CD games (Legends, Anniversary and Underworld), it's that the platforming mechanics were simplers and with a different objective.

giphy.gif
giphy.webp

Left is Tomb Raider Anniversary, right is Shadow (same animations from TR2013 and Rise). Call me crazy, but looking at those animations I feel I can clearly see two different approachs to platforming. While in Anniverasary it was about taking your time, moving deliberately and pricesily, in the new trilogy it's about getting it over with asap. And no wonder, a lot of the time there is stuff falling or people shooting at you.

In other words, those mechanics were fully embedded in the action approach TR13 had. And you can't change that by simply adding more platforming, or adding a couple of new tricks. You need to change its core. And so while there was more exploration in Shadow, more platfomirng and puzzles. it wasn't as engaging as it needed to be to carry the game. So the best parts were still the ones with combat, and when you were not doing that, it felt you were playing the worst parts of it. That's why having too much combat in TR13 didn't make the game worse (even if it might make some people like it less), but having too little of it in Shadow did. It's still a game geared for action, and you can clearly see it in the skills you can purchase or the amount of guns you have.

Which brings to the OP's title. Listening to fan feedback is bad when you take it into consideration without having a firm grasp of what consequences that may have in the game. Often changes asked by fans come into direct contradiction with the core of the game, especially in long term franchises that are often reinventing themselves. Personally I like when devs listen to their fanbase. I think it's important. But sometimes it can lead to a worse product.

To finish, I just wanted ot say something about the latest Tomb Raider trilogy, which might be a little weird after this thread: it deserves more love, or at least less hate. Shadow, for all its shortcomings, is still a good game, sometimes really good. While Rise and TR13 are often excellent.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Yeah I think it's pretty clear in general that fan feedback can be a double edge sword. It's just one tool for developers.

The reason I lost interest in the Tomb Raider reboot is they didn't do anything with the story in the second one. It was just straight up bad. And I heard the third wasn't any better so I didn't bother. The first game had problems too, but as the first reboot I thought it had potential to get better.

For the first two games, I actually though the mix of combat, exploration, and puzzles was very strong. It was probably the best thing about those games.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I was personally fine with the trilogy's combat+puzzle changes over the three games.

My issue was that Lara became the Nathan Drake murderer with a mediocre story behind it. Shadow also opened up with Lara creating a natural disaster and the entire thing felt done in poor taste.

That being said, I'd welcome a next gen Lara done by the same dev. Just make it more about finding a treasure and less about a drawn out "twist" in a story.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed the new direction well enough, but I love the original template so much that the former feels less like a tomb raider game and more like something different with a tomb raider coat of paint on it. If the series needs to continue in the AAA grand spectacle direction so be it, but I hope some other dev will take up the mantle of continuing the original formula albeit with a new IP.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about that.

People complained about the writing and characters and they made them even worse.

The big problem with the gameplay/combat is that it's just more of the same, they didn't bring anything new worth mentioning to the table.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan feedback didn't make a platformer with zero challenge, puzzles with zero challenge, exploration that wasn't rewarding, and a focus on (horrible) cinematic story that, frankly, should have never been approved for a franchise like Tomb Raider.

You can't just say, "Fans asked for this" when what fans were asking for was a quality return to form, not a dial by numbers addition of features and content that people want from Tomb Raider.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a Sequel to last weeks thread OP?

I thought the game was meh, but I can def tell you felt stronger about it. :-)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I loved the lesser combat tbh, in much the same way that I find the shooting in the Uncharted the most stressful/tedious part of the game. I'd be happy if both franchises were like 90% exploration/traversal and only the occasional encounter.

I just wish they committed to the idea more that Lara was an asshole. It was a cool way to start the game but they had no follow through.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Also the naming sucks. I can never remember whether "shadow" or "rise" come second or third. Both games were marketed with "and now she becomes the tomb raider!" schtick.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I just beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and it's issue isn't the lack of combat. The other entries combat sections were far too long and truncating them was for the better.

It's the narrative of the story is all over the place and most of the puzzles aren't very good. 99% of them can either be solved in the first try, or the "difficult" ones require you to find a path you missed and then the solution is obvious.

The traversal/platforming is also press A to awesome nonsense that plays itself.

The issue is the game is completely on rails and won't let you fall to your death, and the platforming is all color coded so there is no real sense of discovery or figuring out a hard puzzle. The solutions are always in your face and the times they are not a character voice over gives you the fucking solution. As long as games are going to lead players by the hand this way puzzling and platforming will not be fun mechanics.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I agree that pandering to fans can eventually blow up in your face.

Personally I liked Shadow's pacing. My issue was that three games with mediocre to shit stories (which actually get worse and worse) and garbage characters are going to introduce franchise fatigue pretty quickly.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fan feedback didn't make a platformer with zero challenge, puzzles with zero challenge, exploration that wasn't rewarding, and a focus on (horrible) cinematic story that, frankly, should have never been approved for a franchise like Tomb Raider.

You can't just say, "Fans asked for this" when what fans were asking for was a quality return to form, not a dial by numbers addition of features and content that people want from Tomb Raider.
I think this is ultimately part of it.

What fans asked for wasn't the problem; it was more the execution of what they asked for.

I still want a Tomb Raider game with better puzzles, better platforming, better exploration, a better characterization for Lara, etc. Shadow was a step in the right direction but not with the tact or execution I would have wanted.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Eidos and CD just lost touch with what made this incarnation of Tomb Raider popular. This is not OG Tomb Raider, this has no legit platforming, exploration and Tombs are completely shallow by nature. The gameplay loop of finding materials, crafting and upgrading weapons, then fighting enemies, THAT is the gameplay loop for this trilogy. What's worse is that Shadow, doubles down on stealth, perks, weapon customization, yet has the least combat and some of the worst encounters in the trilogy.

Yeah, some of the Tombs, and the exploration is fun, but it actively goes against the strengths of the game's gameplay loop to limit the combat so much.

...Also the "Wanting to hold Lara accountable" angle to the story, which also came about in response to criticism thrown at the character, never went anywhere. Lara was just made even more dislikable.

Burn it all down XD

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Also, trying to make Laura accountable for raiding tombs could be a noble endeavor, but the game made it far worse. She isn't stealing artifacts from a long-dead civilization. She is actively causing and fucking with a real living civilization and stealing their history.

Like, the genres core conceit is problematic and they made it far far worse.

Like make her a fucking thief or make her having to save the world (or both!) but the "oops, I accidentally started the apocalypse, now I will fuck everything up for the next 10 hours trying to undo that" was a real weird flex especially since she didn't learn a lesson to stop fucking with shit at any point. Continuing to fuck with shit and kill people is how she wound up fixing the problem at the end anyway.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed Shadow much more than Rise. It has way better stealth mechanics and encounters that are better designed to accommodate those mechanics too. And to me, more focus on exploration and puzzles was very welcoming

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The combat would have been better if the encounters were actually good and varied, that's what makes them poor and it really echoes throughout other aspects too. The games are fine but there isn't enough challenge in any aspect.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the comparison in the platforming is a little cherry picking. I think the reboot's platforming is actually pretty good and varied, and a lot more involved than say Uncharted's which is literally just follow a path and look at how pretty it is. I also appreciated that there was a lot less combat in Shadow. The tombs and movement of the Tomb Raider reboots I think are very fun. The issues come down in other ways. The stories in all the games are pretty bad, especially in Shadow. The issues with Shadow of the Tomb raider are not from lack of combat, but more from everything about it being pretty mediocre. Which is sad to say, since I really liked 2013 and I LOVED Rise.

Feb 4, 2018
For anyone who missed them, Shadow's DLC puzzles are amazing and should be experienced if you're a fan of the base game.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Fans asked for the games to be more like the original ones. And part of it is more/better platforming and puzzles. Shadow has that, it's just not as good as it need to be. If it was, then yes, the game could have both given what fan asked for and be a better game than the previous ones. My point is that the devs should have understood that they couldn't do that.

Is this a Sequel to last weeks thread OP?

I thought the game was meh, but I can def tell you felt stronger about it. :-)

In a way I suppose. Good news is that the combat was very good. Indeed, the combat in the new TR trilogy is great.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I'll say this, I thought the story in Rise was already kinda lame but I perservered anyway because the gameplay was enjoyable. Hearing that they'd stripped out most of the combat for a focus on the platforming and puzzles in Shadow, features that I tolerated in the previous 2 games, meant I had no interest in the game. Them purely stripping down the gameplay was the wrong move.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
shadow of the rise of the fall of the revenge of the tomb raider

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The real problem with Shadow was its narrative and this is coming from someone that actually liked the story of Tomb Raider 2013 and appreciated the characterization of Lara. Rise wasn't bad, it was just perfunctory and forgettable. Shadow's writing is aggressively terrible though.

Lara literally starts the apocalypse, watches as people (and particularly children) are killed in a massive flood that she caused, and immediately she's like "OI, I NEED TO GO DO SOME FUCKING TOMB RAIDING!"An hour after she caused the apocalypse, she's being a wing woman for Jonah. It's just downright embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I actually enjoyed Shadow much more than Rise. It has way better stealth mechanics and encounters that are better designed to accommodate those mechanics too. And to me, more focus on exploration and puzzles was very welcoming

Same. The combat peppered the campaign. It was well balanced and paced. But all three games were amazing IMO.

BUT I think OP did a great job of fairly and articulately expressing their perspective. A great read!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I was disappointed that Shadow end up worse than rise imo. Rise I felt had a good balance and really just needed better puzzles to really get to a better TR formula. So when Shadow decides to scrap what Rise did combat wise but not improve it platforming wise, you just end up with a lesser experience.

There were huge stretches of Shadow that felt like I wasn't doing anything meaningful.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This is like saying that the moral of The Boy Who Cried Wolf is that the villagers are assholes for not coming when the third time the boy cried wolf there really was a wolf.

They spent the 2 prior games insisting there were lots of puzzles and platforming and "it'll become the Tomb Raider! This is just an origin!" while peddling terrible stories and extremely unlikeable characters. You can't blame people for not showing up the third time on what that game did; it's all on the previous 2.

And on top of that, listening to fans doesn't necessarily mean they did it well. Look at Sonic Heroes. Fans complained that the Adventure games didn't utilize characters the way the Genesis games did and wanted to play through the same stages with characters with different abilities. They listened to fans by putting characters into 4 teams of 3 where every team had the same set of abilities.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The combat was the worst part of the new trilogy, if you ask me. I don't know why anyone would want more of that bland and mediocre combat or its poorly considered pass/fail stealth mechanics. The problem was that they didn't make the platforming and puzzle solving engaging enough and those sections having very little mechanical variety, not that they didn't put enough combat in. There are so many more better shooters around. Why they didn't go hard on action-adventure instead of this awkward TPS mix, I don't really understand.

Last edited:

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I loved the first one but Rise somehow had ass controls on console. How do you make a game control worse than the previous one? Shitty controls appears to be a common trend among many devs these days smh.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me the biggest problem is the narrative and doubling down in shitty collectibles and sidequests with big hubs. Rise was already pushing it a bit too much and Shadow just went to far.

Is a very unfocused game at least the initial game had it's aims at being another Uncharted by the time they reached Shadow in tried to be Uncharted + Ubisoft Open World game design + Stealth

I think I reached the second village and stoped playing. I might even uninstall it, because honestly I'm tired of the 'Ubisoft School of Game design' that plagues the game.

Of course the plataforming sucks balls, but if it was a more linear experience I think it would hold much better.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The combat was the worst part of the new trilogy. I don't know why anyone would want more of that bland and mediocre combat or its poorly considered pass/fail stealth mechanics. The problem was that they didn't make the platforming and puzzle solving engaging enough and it had very little variety, not that they didn't put enough combat in.

The combat in Rise is sold and personally carries that game among its weaker aspects. Why they had trouble doing that in Shadow is beyond me.
Feels like two different games.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that was my problem with this whole trilogy. I only played TR2013 and decided not to play the other two because of how combat-focused TR2013 was, and because it was basically just every AAA open-world game element smashed together.

While the reboot trilogy tried to be more like Uncharted, Tomb Raider Anniversary (after Legend) was much closer to the game that inspired the platforming and puzzle elements in all of them and Uncharted -- Sands of Time.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The combat in Rise is sold and personally carries that game among its weaker aspects. Why they had trouble doing that in Shadow is beyond me.
Feels like two different games.

Different strokes, I suppose. Had to force myself through every combat encounter in each of the three. One thing I was really thankful for in Shadow was its more robust (albeit still laughable) stealth system, so I could avoid as much combat as possible :')

I also felt like the combat was better in Shadow? There were more melee kill opportunities and stuff which I liked, iirc. But I didn't pay much attention to it anyway since I didn't enjoy it.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
100% disagree. I've been clamoring for dual pistols for the entire trilogy .. never happened. Doubt I'm the only one. Insane you can't wield dual pistols in this trilogy.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
People will always criticize anything, if the game has too much combat people will get mad, if the game focus on the exploration people will also get mad. Like someone in this thread said, devs hearing fan feedback is a double edge sword.

In my opinion I like Shadow of Tomb Raider better than Rise or TR (2013). The majority doesn't agree with me from what I always read online.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
did lara even get a single new platforming ability throughout the game?

it's weird, they reduced emphasis on combat, sure...but you can still find new weapons. and you can still upgrade your weapons. but you can't expand or upgrade your platforming arsenal. really they did not address the disparity between platforming and combat at all.

Nov 13, 2017
I agree that pandering to fans can eventually blow up in your face.

Personally I liked Shadow's pacing. My issue was that three games with mediocre to shit stories (which actually get worse and worse) and garbage characters are going to introduce franchise fatigue pretty quickly.
Yeah, this. Did the devs even listen to the fans though, OP? We've been saying we want the old Lara back. By the third game, she should have had the twin pistols, sunglasses, and attitude.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Different strokes, I suppose. Had to trudge force through every combat encounter in each of the three. One thing I was really thankful for in Shadow was its more robust (albeit still laughable) stealth system, so I could avoid as much combat as possible :')
The focus on stealth mechanics made from way less interesting combat arenas.

In a future game, something like TLOU 2 would probably help with TR's combat. As the option to skip encounters or fight is pretty prevalent there, while you were definitely a bit more funneled into what you had to do in TR.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, it's my favorite one in the new trilogy exactly due to having almost no combat so at least for me it didn't.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to giving rise a try on ps+. I didn't care for 2013 at all but heard there was more exploration and tomb raiding.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In retrospect, and after replaying the others in the trilogy over and over, and not replaying Shadow a second time, I'd have a hard time even giving it an 8. The lack of combat, which basically removes the point of the upgrade system, really brings it down. There's also less to look forward to because I know that there's really no reason to play it again. I don't know if that's the fault of the developer or just the way Squeenix wanted to push the series.

The fact that we haven't heard anything about a new game in the series makes me think that Shadow sold poorly.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
People will always criticize anything, if the game has too much combat people will get mad, if the game focus on the exploration people will also get mad. Like someone in this thread said, devs hearing fan feedback is a double edge sword.

In my opinion I like Shadow of Tomb Raider better than Rise or TR (2013). The majority doesn't agree with me from what I always read online.

As I argued in the OP, I think they are different form of criticism. Think of this this way:

Let's pretend both games are new IPs - TR13 and Shadow -. If we do this, the criticism that Tomb Raider has too much combat disapperas, it evaporates. The only reason people think that it's because there is a expectation of what a TR game should be. When we see the game working by its internal logic alone, the amount of combat is just right. On the other hand, in Shadow case, not having enough combat is a shortcoming of the game itself. The criticism would still exist. And I think one way to see this is the skill tree. The vast majority of skills you can get have to do with combat, and often you will get a new skill and not have the chance to use it for hours and hours because there is not opportunity, there is no fight. Let's say you have 33% of platforming, 33% of puzzles and 33% of combat, but when it comes to skills 80% are related to combat alone. Not to mention itens that you can purchase which are mostly weapons. The internal logic of the game doesn't add up.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Taking the combat out was what made me decide to buy Spidey and AC Odyssey and not bother with Shadow. I liked shoot-bang Lara.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
For me the biggest problem is the narrative and doubling down in shitty collectibles and sidequests with big hubs. Rise was already pushing it a bit too much and Shadow just went to far.

Is a very unfocused game at least the initial game had it's aims at being another Uncharted by the time they reached Shadow in tried to be Uncharted + Ubisoft Open World game design + Stealth

I think I reached the second village and stoped playing. I might even uninstall it, because honestly I'm tired of the 'Ubisoft School of Game design' that plagues the game.

Of course the plataforming sucks balls, but if it was a more linear experience I think it would hold much better.

I don't see that much Ubisoft influence here. It has some fetch quests but it's not really an open world game. It falls very much in line with the other two which were hub oriented, even if this one has the biggest areas. And it's a much better and more creative product than Assassin's Creed Origins for example, which is a hallmark of Ubisoft design.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that much Ubisoft influence here. It has some fetch quests but it's not really an open world game. It falls very much in line with the other two which were hub oriented, even if this one has the biggest areas. And it's a much better and more creative product than Assassin's Creed Origins for example, which is a hallmark of Ubisoft design.

Even if is not as big as a classic Ubisoft game, it uses the same methodology of filling even more crap to collect in the most dull map design and lamest exploration possible. The game leans even more heavily in those aspects than the past 2 games.