• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
THE HYPE IS THROUGH THE ROOF!

HDmUYbb.gif

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just been announced on Steam that the early access unlock time is 9 AM PT, September 12th: https://steamcommunity.com/app/750920/discussions/0/2590022385674373147/

MJCrystalD [developer] 4 minutes ago

Early Access Unlock - September 12th 9:00AM Pacific
Hey everyone!

If you've purchased a Shadow of the Tomb Raider edition that grants Early Access on Steam, the game will be unlocked and playable on September 12th, at 9:00AM Pacific!

Enjoy Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the thrilling conclusion to Lara Croft's origin story!

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Local Target already have PS4/XB1 versions on the shelves, tempted to get it but haven't played ROTTR and I know it will sink fast in price.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This game has the most gorgeous world ever in a Tomb Raider game.
I hope people buy the game and don't get discouraged by some of the negative reviews. the game is built around exploration as a main focus, and Eidos Montreal listened to what the fans wanted (even if they also played it very safe, and the story is still not that good). maybe the slow pace put some people off but honestly I prefer it this way.

The art style is miles ahead of RotTR : old caves, swamps, lakes, forests, villages, mountains, ruins... you name it! natural views in this game are breathtaking.
also, the imagining and depiction of old civilizations in this game is phenomenal. a huge effort went into creating this.

I'll be sharing some photos later.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes literally no sense for it to come out at noon eastern. 48 hours should mean 48 hours.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Turns out I don't have the funds for this in the budget this week after all so I might be waiting until October for this which is pretty fucking rough so I don't think I'll be hanging around the OT much in case of spoilers but I hope everyone enjoys it, especially NeoRaider lol.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Well that's annoying as fuck. Why advertise it as 48hrs early if it's not actually going to be 48hrs?

It's still a 48-hour head start as the standard edition isn't going to unlock until 9am PT on the 14th, but it's definitely frustrating that the game is unlocking as "late" as it is.

Exactly my issue with this 9 AM PT unlock time. I live over in the Eastern time zone so 9 AM PT would mean 12 PM Eastern... Why isn't this getting a midnight release???

Because Valve refuses to modernise the release process on Steam (automatic unlocks aren't supported in any way, shape or form) and Squeenix doesn't want to babysit the list of countries that are eligible to access the game. I'd hoped that Ubi weaponising the archaic release process to put a feather in Uplay's cap would've spurred Valve into action, but here we hare, more than 18 months later, and nothing has changed.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It's still a 48-hour head start as the standard edition isn't going to unlock until 9am PT on the 14th, but it's definitely frustrating that the game is unlocking as "late" as it is.

Because Valve refuses to modernise the release process on Steam (automatic unlocks aren't supported in any way, shape or form) and Squeenix doesn't want to babysit the list of countries that are eligible to access the game. I'd hoped that Ubi weaponising the archaic release process to put a feather in Uplay's cap would've spurred Valve into action, but here we hare, more than 18 months later, and nothing has changed.
Gotcha. What a comedy of errors.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh thanks for that. That's a bummer.

It would be abused though wouldn't it? Just VPN to a South Korean or Japanese server and you unlock your game early.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WTF?!??! This makes absolutely no sense to me.... So no games released on Steam can have an automatic unlock time? WTF....

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Ahh thanks for that. That's a bummer.

It would be abused though wouldn't it? Just VPN to a South Korean or Japanese server and you unlock your game early.
If the game is available to play to some audiences, and there aren't legal reasons to release it later in other regions, then everyone who has paid for the same version should have it unlock at the same time. Ideally the earliest valid time.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
All the bitching over ludonarrative dissonance and lara not being the real lara.

Meanwhile im hyped and while i think the plot is shit-mwah-the gameplay.
I love psycho Lara and look forward to using photo mode to take pics of her smiling while executing fools

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
If the game is available to play to some audiences, and there aren't legal reasons to release it later in other regions, then everyone who has paid for the same version should have it unlock at the same time. Ideally the earliest valid time.
I agree with you. Origin does automatic unlocks and it's pointless because you can get around it by using the VPN method. My thought is that this is why Valve doesn't bother with it's implementation and leaves the unlock time and date up to the content creator. It's really on SE for releasing it so late. From Software/Bandai released Dark Souls Remastered before the "Release Date" so its a shame SE doesn't do the same.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Nobody bats an eyelid at that sort of thing, really. Ubi does rolling midnight unlocks on Uplay, EA on Origin, Microsoft on the WinStore, and then there's PSN and XBL, too.

WTF?!??! This makes absolutely no sense to me.... So no games released on Steam can have an automatic unlock time? WTF....

IIRC, Valve's argument is that releasing a game manually ensures someone is at the wheel should users encounter some sort of configuration error, but all of those potential issues can be tested for and ironed out prior to release, so it's not a convincing one, especially considering more than a few games have launched in a broken state of some sort and weren't fixed until hours later. There's really no excuse for publishers not having the option of setting up a release schedule that is processed automatically.

Last year, I actually bothered to make a thread in the suggestion/ideas forum calling for automatic unlocks and unencrypted pre-loads, but, unsurprisingly, it didn't attract much attention, died on the grapevine after a few hours, and obviously changed nobody's mind.

Edit:
I agree with you. Origin does automatic unlocks and it's pointless because you can get around it by using the VPN method. My thought is that this is why Valve doesn't bother with it's implementation and leaves the unlock time and date up to the content creator. It's really on SE for releasing it so late. From Software/Bandai released Dark Souls Remastered before the "Release Date" so its a shame SE doesn't do the same.

To be clear, Steam does support rolling unlocks, and Squeenix used to do them. It just got tired of the logistics involved with periodically updating the list of eligible countries. These days, 2K and Bethesda are literally the only two publishers that still do rolling unlocks on Steam, but not for every major release, and both have downscaled their approach to the three-step one of Oceania and Asia -> Europe -> rest of the world.

Last edited:

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Can I select the hardest difficulty to get the trophy in new game plus as well?
Like keep all your upgrades after beating it and select the toughest setting after? It would make the hardest setting easier at least this way?

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Is this gonna be good or not..

TR reboot is one of my favorite series ever but I am deathly scared of AND for this game.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
IIRC, Valve's argument is that releasing a game manually ensures someone is at the wheel should users encounter some sort of configuration error, but all of those potential issues can be tested for and ironed out prior to release, so it's not a convincing one. I made a thread in the suggestions/ideas forum almost a year ago now calling for automatic unlocks and unencrypted pre-loads, but it didn't attract much attention and died on the grapevine after a few hours.
Yeah. A recent example: when Chasm unlocked the current build at the time was pointing to the wrong executable file, so the game wouldn't start. Someone was on-hand to fix it within a few minutes just by changing a pointer string. Which, great, it's good someone was there, but that shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place.

Meanwhile im hyped and while i think the plot is shit-mwah-the gameplay.
I love psycho Lara and look forward to using photo mode to take pics of her smiling while executing fools
Same! I can't wait to turn her into even more of a sociopath.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting how I'm enjoying this so much more than the previous two entries. Something about this game is speaking to me on a different level. Hopefully, I'll beat it tomorrow, I should have a lot of time to devote to it then.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So if we get the Deluxe or Croft editions now, we can use a VPN to unlock it and play already?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My Xbox shows that it is unlocking at 7pm, which is 25 minutes from now. I just did the pre-order digital and it is downloading, but I noticed the game is only 25gb. Is there a patch for the 4k textures or something? For comparison, Rise of the Tomb Raider on "X" is over 50gb. Just curious why a newer entry in the series is half the size? Looking forward to it regardless. That DF video that John released did me in and I decided to do the pre-order of the Croft edition.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What size is this on Xbox one X? Mine sits at 25Gb with no updates to install. Last update was May. But store says 44Gb.

Not sure why it wouldn't install the updates. It unlocks in a few hours.

I am wondering the same considering that Rise was 50+gb in size and this is so far at 25gb. Must be missing something.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Been playing this the last couple of hours and having an absolute blast!

Playing on the Pro and the HDR is the best I've ever seen. Right from the outset there are some really cool HDR effects that impressed the hell out of me. And I think this may be the best looking game I've played this generation, certainly better than Uncharted 4 IMHO. It's really that good.

As for performance, there is an annoying micro-delay between each camera change in the cutscenes which I'm finding annoying, not sure if this is limited to the PS4/Pro version. Input lag isn't as bad as I feared, it's better than Rise was on XBO at launch. The image quality is quite soft for my liking (on Pro), and you can see the checkerboarding at play quite easily with significant artefacts on the strings for balloons for example, or frequently on Lara's hair. Framerate is near rock solid 30fps in graphics mode though. Performance mode is sadly all over the place framerate-wise and I couldn't tolerate it for more than a minute.

So yeah, it's great, it looks sublime, it performs pretty great too (in graphics mode). And it's the best HDR showpiece yet. May double dip with the X version at the weekend to compare though.
Is the input lag bad on the PS4 Pro?
There's lag, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be based on the DF comments. It's right on par with the lag in the 30fps mode on TLoU Remastered. So if you can tolerate that then you can tolerate this.