• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I started this on Xbox One X before I sold it. Now I'm keen to jump back in but can't find it available on the Windows store, suggesting I wouldn't be able to access my save :/ It's also not a Play Anywhere title so cross save might not have even been available.

Why has it been removed from the Windows store? And why it is still so expensive on Steam?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I played the demo and thought it felt like AAA Cliches Simulator. The platforming being shit is just ridiculous as an old TR fan.

The demo starts with like 10 minutes of slow-walking, it's amazing how cliche it is.

Oct 29, 2017
It was fine. I played it for free in Game Pass and had an okay time.

I just don't get what happened with the Tomb Raider reboot series. I loved TR2013. Exciting setpieces, better shooting than Uncharted, Lara was a fun character... then the next two games just had all the fun and excitement sucked out of them. Too much focus on hub areas and I couldn't be less interested in the direction they took the story.

Shadow was an improvement over Rise though.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To quote myself.

They took the criticisms of TR2013 and Rise and decided to address them by offering a no white ledges climbing option and puzzles with no highlights.

The problem is, the criticisms were the climbing was auto-platform garbage and still is, white ledges or not. And the puzzles were brain dead 'interact with only thing can' type puzzles, and they still are just with no highlights now.

So they didn't actually address any of the criticisms and wasted effort on meaningless options. The less combat would have been fine if the platforming and puzzles were engaging, but they aren't.

It's not a game for the shooter crowd as there is barely any, and it sure as hell isn't for Tomb Raider fans as it fails on all required fronts.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot. It was my favorite of the trilogy in terms of platforming and puzzles.

I did miss some of the enemy encounters from the two previous games that threw a bunch of enemies at you at once. The last couple sections of the game were a ton of fun in that regard.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing timed exclusivity and lukewarm/middling reviews had a lot to do in people never even buying it or even buying it when it's on discount.
I liked the previous 2 games but from everything I've heard of this one its just not for me.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Really enjoyed this one, the sense of adventure was the best in this reboot series. Story was poorly written yeah but it didn't detract from the fun I had with this game,

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Hah thanks. I only sometimes forget which it is, but I guess I should have put a sarcasm tag on my post. I was actually answering the thread topic. Shadow was just more of the same and it had a terrible, confusing name. I would bet most people either passed it over because it was meh or they thought it was Rise and didn't realize they are two separate games. (I have a friend that thought this at the time and didn't realize it until I told him so)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The flaws in this game have been articulated so many times here in multiple threads, it's just not very good. As soon as you see big Jonah is somehow a main character now is a clear indication of how poor the cast in the franchise is, and that's just the start of the issues.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They took out the combat but they didn't replace it with anything, so you're left with a game where the main style of gameplay is just jogging down a jungle corridor. Platforming is still Uncharted-style auto jumps and puzzle solving is a little bit better than the previous two games but still held back by the 'puzzle room' style of design where a tomb is just an optional room you walk into, solve, and then walk out of again to go back to the real game. The shooting was the only real skill-based form of gameplay they had in the reboot series, and with that drastically cut down for Shadow there's nothing to pick up the slack.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Shadow wished to be Uncharted 3.
I merely meant it as a comparison of the series rather than the individual games.

Uncharted 1 / Tomb Raider - the first of the series. Rough with lots of repetition, but great potential

Uncharted 2 / Rise of the Tomb Raider - greatly improved upon the predecessor

Uncharted 3 / Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Questionable choices that felt like a step back

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
As others mentioned, Rise's limited Xbox exclusivity basically threw it off my $60 radar (even though the PC release only tailed it by like two months?), despite the fact that I played the Reboot in its launch window and found it pretty pleasant. It took me over 4 years before I got around to Rise (beat it back in early April).

So needless to say that Shadow wasn't gonna get any attention from me when it launched; while also now retrospectively after finally playing both, I found Rise to be the better game. It was more of the same but generally in a good way that improved on 2013. Shadow and the developer switch led it to be half a step forward, two steps to the side, and a step back. Much of the game felt pretty vapid, a lot of the "new" stuff were things already in 2013/Rise that drawing attention to somehow made worse - the hubs for example; the first two games had a couple quasi-Metroidvania hub zones that you were typically kinda organically circled back to, whereas in Shadow, the world felt smaller and more disconnected as you progressed into a linear area that then teleported you back to the hub after.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
One of the best looking games this gen, but I've still not finished it

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I already found Rise to be inferior to TR2013 (which I loved) and I keep hearing that Shadow is even worse than Rise, so I haven't even touched this one yet.

As far as marketing and the buzz/hype around the title go though, I think the exclusivity of Rise hurt that title and Shadow on that front. By the time Rise hit PS4 a lot of people on the system seemed to have moved on from the new TR series.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horrible naming scheme. I had no idea if I had already played it or not. And I didn't care enough to look it up.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Interest in the franchise somehow dropped. Maybe a marketing fault?

To Shadow's credit, it delivered in what a lot of critics wanted: more tombs, more solitary exploration, and less combat, but the main game itself wasn't too exciting and two different teams just couldn't fix the bad story

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
When your game names start sounding like sequels to Zombie movies it's time to take a step back and think about what you're doing. I could not remember if I played Shadow because I kept confusing it with Rise.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was boring. I didn't care for the story at all, most of the characters were forgettable, the gameplay was fine I guess but I think I just wanted more from it, and overall it was just an easy title to forget about.

I loved TR 2013 and Rise, so it just felt especially disappointing.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Good game, gorgeous with mediocre story, played it via gamepass, it was worth it to me. I've found it better than the other two as a complete package. Rise had the better story of the bunch imo.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was good, but ultimately it's the weakest one in the rebooted series with a lesser story and characters, I hope they make larger changes when they make a new Tomb Raider game.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I was burned out after Rise and I tend to think these games run a bit longer than they should. Might be something I pickup on ps5 after the release window titles.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
After Shadow I'm done with modern reboot series. Far as I'm concerned the last great TR will always be The Last Revelation. Before it all went pair shaped.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I had more fun playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider than any Uncharted game this gen and all prior TRs. Its setting, gameplay and graphics are stunning. Just recently bought the extra content on PSN and can't wait to dive in once I've completed The Last of Us 2.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The reboot games needed to be tighter and smarter instead of an emphasis on graphics like so many other titles out there.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Essentially, for me, it was Lara who ruined it all. She was extremely annoying. The storyline was also a bit jarring and the pacing was out of place.

Ironically, I loved the gameplay aspects, specifically the focus on tombs. I do think the XP system needs to go away though. It's annoying.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I genuinely believe the way Rise of the Tomb Raider was handled (timed exclusivity) dampened a lot of excitement and interest in the IP this generation. Most people just didn't seem all that interested in Shadow.
This was me. I loved the first and was excited for the sequel. The sequel was announced as an Xbox exclusive, and I didn't have an Xbox or have plans to get one, so I was pretty upset (at least at first). Once it finally landed on PS4 my hype had completely faded, especially considering Uncharted 4 had just come out months earlier, which went on to become one of my favorite games of the generation. I eventually played RoTTR, and it really wasn't as good as the first, and I had completely lost interest in the franchise.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The story was stupid but it was way better than the other two NuLara games.

Kudos for the team also to make Lara more atletic and with some muscle in her arms.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Surprisingly its reception was exactly what it deserved imo. The games after TR2013 feel like Resident Evil 6 imo: a lot of money going into making a very pretty, perfectly good time sink but one that is ultimately forgettable and doesn't say anything or leave a strong impression.

It needs a rework ala RE6 to RE7. They had a good start with TR2013 but didn't make the most of it.

I started this on Xbox One X before I sold it. Now I'm keen to jump back in but can't find it available on the Windows store, suggesting I wouldn't be able to access my save :/ It's also not a Play Anywhere title so cross save might not have even been available.

Why has it been removed from the Windows store? And why it is still so expensive on Steam?

It's been hugely discounted (about 80percent off iirc?) a few times during those huge Steam sales events.

Just wait for it, it'll come around again.

Kudos for the team also to make Lara more atletic and with some muscle in her arms.

I think that was the only part I found cool about the game, Lara being able to do those crazy angled climbs.

Of course then you watch her in a cutscene and the good impression is all ruined.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't at all be surprised if there were people who didn't buy it because they mistook it for the 2nd game again.

I only liked Rise and hated the other two. The reboot needed to focus on better platforming and not just be a more dour copy of Uncharted.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like it doubled down on the worst aspects of the modern TR franchise without improving them in any meaningful way, namely the weak platforming and uninteresting puzzles (outside of the optional tombs) while moving away from from the one thing it was good at: The combat.

If they ever reboot the franchise, I hope they go back to the more laid back, adventure vibe of the older games.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
People hated it without playing it because they prefer Nathan drake was the feeling I got.

I loved it a long with the previous two and I loved the 5 uncharted games.

Maybe that style of game is my preferred type either way I don't think the criticism was honest in some of the case.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I personally enjoyed playing the first 2 games. I never really got into any of the characters or the storylines, though — admittedly not even Lara herself has really ever struck me as interesting.

I do think that their INTENTION with the reboot is good, though — an attempt to ground the narrative and the stakes around Lara is cool, but they seem to use Lara exclusively as the indication that these are rough and tough circumstances... She is a too-constant exposition delivery system about how exhausting and taxing everything she's going through is, and I feel like besides occasional bland imagery of scary or bad imagery, the games just kind of feel like they're selling their grit unevenly and it's focused way too hard in just specific parts of the presentation.

But, I did find exploration fun, and I am kind of a sucker for the exact kind of combat and set-piece presentation that the first two games go for.

Based on my positive experiences despite feeling a sense of unevenness from the first two games, I pre-ordered and got Shadow at its launch and almost immediately bounced off of it (well, I have only ever made it about 2 hours into the game, I guess "immediate" is a bit of an exaggeration). I've tried to go back again and it keeps happening. Even prior to entering this thread, I started downloading the game again, too — I'm gonna try again soon.

No idea why Shadow isn't doing it for me — I actually really did like 2013 and Rise.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I loved it and when I started looking into it online I couldn't believe the lukewarm reviews and people bashing it on forums.

I don't want them to take away all the nice things that this game brought, like less combat and more exploration.

Story was whatever but it doesn't kill the game.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was me. I loved the first and was excited for the sequel. The sequel was announced as an Xbox exclusive, and I didn't have an Xbox or have plans to get one, so I was pretty upset (at least at first). Once it finally landed on PS4 my hype had completely faded, especially considering Uncharted 4 had just come out months earlier, which went on to become one of my favorite games of the generation. I eventually played RoTTR, and it really wasn't as good as the first, and I had completely lost interest in the franchise.
My story as well. That Xbox deal really did a number on so many player's enthusiasm.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
As others mentioned, Rise's limited Xbox exclusivity basically threw it off my $60 radar (even though the PC release only tailed it by like two months?), despite the fact that I played the Reboot in its launch window and found it pretty pleasant. It took me over 4 years before I got around to Rise (beat it back in early April).

So needless to say that Shadow wasn't gonna get any attention from me when it launched; while also now retrospectively after finally playing both, I found Rise to be the better game. It was more of the same but generally in a good way that improved on 2013. Shadow and the developer switch led it to be half a step forward, two steps to the side, and a step back. Much of the game felt pretty vapid, a lot of the "new" stuff were things already in 2013/Rise that drawing attention to somehow made worse - the hubs for example; the first two games had a couple quasi-Metroidvania hub zones that you were typically kinda organically circled back to, whereas in Shadow, the world felt smaller and more disconnected as you progressed into a linear area that then teleported you back to the hub after.
Same I enjoyed the reboot but the timed exclusivity just kind of made me lose interest by the time Rise came out and never got it.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the entire trilogy. I think they're solid games and the best of the entire Tomb Raider series with the first "reboot" following closely behind. While I have a huge soft spot for Tomb Raider 2013 due to the setting and how balanced it is, anyone that has played Shadow can easily tell you it's the best of the bunch. It cut down on the combat encounters which was needed and gave an increased focus to what I think Tomb Raider is all about. Solving puzzles.

It helps that it's a beautiful game too and the environments are a sight to behold. I'm genuinely upset that it seems like we won't get another Tomb Raider game in this vein anytime soon, if ever.

Oct 24, 2019

This is basically me to a tee.

I've never understood the love for RoTR, I thought it was worse than the original in just about every way, and from everything I've heard, Shadow is even worse than RoTR