• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I hope it did well enough to warrant another new Tomb Raider within the next couple of years, but I did not like Shadow. Hopefully they shake things up for the next game.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
That's good to hear. I just got the game a week or so ago and I am loving it so far. Except for that one section that was a little bit more scary than I would have wanted (i'm a wimp)

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it did well enough for them to be happy about. The Tomb Raider reboots were excellent and, other than story telling, made the Uncharted games feel antiquated in comparison. I hope they keep making them for a long time to come.

Why are people saying they doubt it sold well, when the fucking devs are saying it sold well.

Because people build up narratives in their minds and it doesn't matter what anyone says, they know better. It's as ridiculous as it is common around here, or anywhere gamer's congregate for that matter. You can't have a discussion about a developer/publisher comment without a bunch of neckbeards claiming they are wrong or lying. Who knew the mere act of playing video games gave you more insight and insider information that the people who are actually working in the industry?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Are they done with DLC now? is it safe to look out to buy the complete game yet?

and, most importantly, does it mean Crystal Dynamics will finally start making a new Legacy of kain game?

Oct 27, 2017
It was a cool trilogy. Story-wise, the highlight for me was the first game. Gameplay-wise, Rise was at it (for me). Shadow has some cool ideas, but I feel if they are continuing this character's route, they need a design overhaul, especially in the writing department. Most of the characters are insufferable.

Feb 10, 2018
with marketing (which are still real costs) I bet it's over that

Well if 250 people worked on it for 3yrs
Thats $70000x 250 x 3yrs = $52,500,000
Plus the Microsoft Co marketing.

I don't know I remember ppl here say horizon zero dawn cost like $45 million.

And I said the same thing you did so who knows.

Also one thing people don't realise that it's not only the size of the dev team that gets paid lol.
After completing the TLOU1 the other day, there is literally 1000's of people involved.

So yeah your right, tomb and other games like horizon :ZD cost way more then what the devs get.
These games are probably more like $80-100 million.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I 100% shortly after release. It's a great game and definitely hope they get more swings at Lara down the road. She is now seasoned and ready for prime time as the one and only Tomb Raider.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not buying it, It had 50% discount in 1 month at steam.
I'm sure they loved halving the price after a few weeks.
The real question is whether or not they converted twice as many at half price who might have been interested, but not 60 dollars interested. Sure, it's shitty for those who bought at full price, but so long as SE and CD made their money back, what's it matter if you sell 6 million at 10 dollars or 1 million at 60 dollars? If you can't leverage the entire player base, then you have to meet them in the middle. It's truly a buyer's market. Sucks for the devs, but that's life these days.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Main game was fun but nowhere near as good as 1 and 2 for me story wise. Loved all the tombs and puzzles though.

Was Sam mentioned in the DLC at all? Only thing that would get me to play.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Main game was fun but nowhere near as good as 1 and 2 for me story wise. Loved all the tombs and puzzles though.

Was Sam mentioned in the DLC at all? Only thing that would get me to play.
She's mentioned extremely briefly. If you indeed loved the tombs and puzzles, those are the real reason to see the DLC.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Or we can just take this person at their word and not call them a liar?

Using this logic BotW, GoW and many, many others are not successs either yet because their successors haven't been announced and we don't know what budget they have.
This...is a terrible analogy because those games broke sales records. Why would you choose these games out of all the others to try to prove your point (which didn't work out the way you thought, I might add)?

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Poor story and they had no idea what to do with Lara as a character. the exploration and tombs were fucking ace and the gunplay was solid. they had a chance to make a complete package but had to mire it in more of that trinity bullshit.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll be surprise if we see a sequel (reboot maybe) and tbh I think it's time for the franchise to lie dormant for a while.

I got my copy from a fire sale a couple of months back and lost all interest to continue after progressing 20% into the game. The biggest issue is it's boring combat and story imo.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i hope square enix agrees with him, it would be a really sad day for gaming if tomb raider is cancelled. they need to bring back the old croft manor though.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
Glad it performed well, also glad to see good games that sell well come to Gamepass soon.

I'm currently playing it on Gamepass, so far I see many improvements over Rise, specially in the story and character writing. However I think I enjoyed rise more, probably because it had more room to exploration and because I'm getting tired of linear action games.

Also, Shadow has the best underwater exploration in gaming.
And many many thanks for making a game with incan culture.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Started it through Gamepass then DMC:V and Sekiro came out, I want to get back into it. I liked the opening more than Rise of the Tombraider

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
So happy with the performance it was 50% off a month after launch and joined GP not too long afterwards. That's what success looks like apparently lol.

giphy.gif

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Still I think it's time for a proper reboot again, with an older more experienced Lara. Like 30+ with real climber's body (wide shoulders, strong triceps and back rather than just increasing her waistline a bit but still giving her mostly spaghetti arms). And please none of the "Become the Tomb Raider" stuff as that sounded so silly.

Just look at those noodles.

Now, just for comparison, let's look at some of the best female climbers in the world!

Anak Verhoeven

Ashima Shiraishi

Sasha DiGiulian
https://i./i/pix/2013/02/04/article-2273212-17558BB0000005DC-71_964x635.jpg

So yeah, the strength to weight ratio comes in a different form for climbers: being big isn't a good idea. If anything, the Shadow Lara model is overly muscular (though Lara is more of a gymnast than a strict climber, which is likely why they modeled her with a much more muscular frame).

Also, 'triceps' on a climber...*snicker*

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
TR was butchered this gen by just bad decisions. Release dates killed this franchise possibly.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear. I like that they made their entry into this franchise fairly unique even if it meant it didn't have the wide appeal of the other two. I hope Eidos Montrael gets to make more games because I really enjoy their stuff.

The game is also a technical beast on PC. One of the best looking games out there easily and a great PC version.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That's nice. I imagine the budget wasn't nearly as high as the previous games so even if it didn't sell bazillion copies, it still sold well enough and the DLC has kept it fresh in people's minds.
Not bad if it was made on a $40-60 million budget.
I thought the budget is over $100 million? Pretty sure I've read something like that before.

Yeah budget of Shadow is between $75-100m just for production
Another $35m for marketing
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-12-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-costs-usd75-usd100m-to-make

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i still haven't played it. i'm waiting for it to be dirt cheap on sale.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at those noodles.

Now, just for comparison, let's look at some of the best female climbers in the world!

Anak Verhoeven

Ashima Shiraishi

Sasha DiGiulian

So yeah, the strength to weight ratio comes in a different form for climbers: being big isn't a good idea. If anything, the Shadow Lara model is overly muscular (though Lara is more of a gymnast than a strict climber, which is likely why they modeled her with a much more muscular frame).

Also, 'triceps' on a climber...*snicker*
And they ALL have shoulders broader than hers. And no her arms and shoulders do not enough muscle to support her upper body.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This...is a terrible analogy because those games broke sales records. Why would you choose these games out of all the others to try to prove your point (which didn't work out the way you thought, I might add)?

Well yeah that's kinda my point. It's dumb to insinuate that we should wait until that point in the future when games' sequels are announced when we could just like use what we have available right now, such as the person in the OP confirming that this game sold well.

Maternal Heart

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Does anyone know what developers at Square Enix Eidos are even able to take over the franchise? Crystal dynamics is making Marvel GaaS titles and Eidos Montreal seems to become a support studio for the Marvel license

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still think it was off the mark to release it next to Spider-man and on the eve of the incoming heavy hitters of Fall 2018.

I had so much to play by the end of last year I barely even noticed Lara had a game coming out.
And another Square game, Dragon Quest XI, inexplicably was released a week before SotTR. I'll never understand that reasoning especially when the previous weeks were pretty much barren. But nope, let's launch two games that are at risk of falling through the cracks right next to each other and themselves close to the juggernaut that was Spiderman.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if they do another reboot they'll probably skew closer to the original games and bring the budget down a bit. I would certainly love to see more in the style of TR Anniversary or Underworld.
They better not reboot it. Change the style of the game? Maybe but no reboot, not yet at least. They just finished the "origin trilogy" or whatever it is they're calling these games, I want this Lara grown into THE Tomb Raider now. At least in one game.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of the 6 month after release period, but this just reinforce my point even more I guess. That's a steep downward trajectory.

In fairness, the 11m figure for the original reboot would include both the initial release and the definitive edition that hit this generation, so not really apples-to-apples with either Rise or Shadow. The reboot also took over a year to reach 6 million sales (and a further year including the definitive edition to reach 8.5m), so 4m+ for Shadow currently (plus whatever the Gamepass deal entails) is probably not bad all considered.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is good to hear, I was a little nervous about this games performance and I hope Square Enix are still confident in this series and we'll see more. I do wonder if this entries targets were a bit lower due to a different studio taking the lead.

I was a bit apprehensive with Shadow, it's initial reveals didn't look very impressive and it's reception was rather lukewarm, but I ended up borrowing it from my library and was so impressed I immediately bought it (though it was on sale) with the DLC and it's easily my favourite of the reboot franchise. If i'm looking at them all critically, I do think they are all probably about even in quality, each with it's own strengths and weaknesses, with perhaps the first entry still being just slightly the best, but Shadow's much bigger emphasis on it's puzzles and exploration and reduced focus on combat really worked for me. I love how this entry has different difficult settings for those 3 core elements too. There was so many moments of awe and inspiration, and it felt paced far closer to the classic series and I really appreciated that. Didn't feel like it was jumping me from set pieces or forcing me into combat encounters too quickly, it really gave each area and story beat room to breathe. I quite like how the DLC works and added more puzzles and quests into the base game, or had them as optional extras for challenge runs, nearly doubling the amount of challenge tombs in the game. A big improvement over the fairly mediocre expansions that Rise saw, at least for me.

If anyone that enjoyed either of the first two but is on the fence about this entry, I would highly recommend it. Know that it does take a step back in some areas, the combat isn't quite as strong, most notably the feedback from enemies (muzzle flashes on weapons being quite basic, no blood splatter effects, combat just has a little less life in it), and some of the sound design is a bit weaker (those really nice UI sound prompts are quite a bit more basic), but the overall sound design is still strong, with a very good musical score and weapon and environmental sounds. The story is about on par with the last two entries, the dialogue is a bit poor and story overall is fun, and executes on some themes and tropes better than the past entries, but I wouldn't call a step forward in it's overall execution. It really excels with it's environmental designs and puzzles though, that is where the game shines and what I look for in a Tomb Raider game. There is a lot more I could get into, but that's not really what this thread is about and I just waned to quickly give my opinion on the game.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
there are too many people who just want to see the series fail cause they personally dont like the direction.

if your gonna do that, atleast dont make up weird things in your head simply to make yourself feel better.

this is as bad as the anti captain marvel people

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them but I have no desire to play it after the first two games. Hopefully they'll go as far as possible from that style of game whenever they make a new one.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I really liked that Eidos put in their stealth expertise into this game while still being cineastic. I liked it better than shooting an army in the Reboot and Rise. If they only managed to get characters and plot more intruiging...

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Isn't Amy Henning unemployed?. Hire her to direct the next one. And please, fire Camilla Ludington, she is just terrible.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope that they give Tomb Raider franchise a 5-7 year break to come up with something different