• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched my nephew beat the first three colossus. He was pretty blown away and started saying he felt bad for killing them.

I gotta buy it for him so he can finish it and experience it completely

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the 12th colossus and that was so satisfying to beat. Thus far 10 and 12 made me look dumb till I realized what I had to do. These encounters are so well designed. It feels so good getting that lightbulb moment on approaching each colossi.

Also good god I am constantly taking photos and SOTC has by far the biggest folder of screenshots I've ever taken.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough of the PS4 version.

I became a fan of Shadow of the Colossus instantly after I originally beat it back on the PS2, and I have bought each new version since.

Still a masterpiece that will forever be remembered in the industry for its artistry and gigantic influence.

The ending hits as hard as ever. I think I could count with one hand the number of endings that are as powerful and emotional as this one.

The Colossus feel alive. They feel organic. They feel like they truly exist, and are not just polygon models with AI patterns. The way they move, the super realistic animations, the way they LOOK AT YOU.

It blows my mind that the PS2 had the most realistic creatures of its generation.

Fumito Ueda and his team are geniuses, and I eagerly await for their next game.

Right now, Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4 is a magnificent tribute and a big upgrade to one of the best, most respected and beloved games of all time.

And Agro remains the best horse in gaming.

shadowofthecolossus_2ppsq2.png

Last edited:

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I'm finding the game really boring so far. So far after 3 colossi, this is an entire world devoid of all life except some birds, lizards, and this handful of colossi. Feels like a glorified boss run wrapped around some story about idols to destroy. Ride horse through really desolate landscapes to the next boss where you shine your sword and figure out how to climb it. I don't find that puzzle gameplay with zero other things to do really compelling.

I just don't get the love. I'm not asking for Ubisoft level of million icons of things to do, but I don't find a game with nothing to do except boss fights to be something that keeps my attention. Especially since "bosses" are the least interesting and least fun of every game I play.

I believed the hype and all I feel is $40 lighter.

You don't get the love? I get that the game might not be for you, but it is not hard to see why others love this game.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, be honest, people.

How many coins have you found without using a guide?

31, so far. I haven't been actively searching for them, not counting times where I find a rock face that looks interesting or climbable.

I'm noticing they appear to be always near glow tail skinks.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Picked it the White Pro yesterday, after playing the first 5 or so missions on the standard PS4 then now playing it on performance mode for the pro...all I can say is WOW!!!

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that the music is oddly quiet. It's just not as high in the mix as it was in the original. It's a subtle thing, but for some of us who have played the original dozens of times these things stick out.
I still don't get why Bluepoint did this. I mean, it's pretty evident and even messes with the atmosphere at times.

There's a certain level of emotion while fighting the colossi that's diminished in the current mix.

Last edited:

Swimmer98000

Oct 27, 2017
First timer here. Was the voice that gives you a hint in the original game? I feel that it kinda kills the puzzle and I was blowing through the first 5 or so colossi so I turned it off.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the arrow shot when on his hand. I got it originally, then went to jump onto his shoulder and the camera fucked me up and I fell. It's such a tedious fucking fight.

Oh.. is that what you had to do ? I just jumped from his hand straight on to his head on both playthroughs lol. The fight took me <15 mins on both runs.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
First timer here. Was the voice that gives you a hint in the original game? I feel that it kinda kills the puzzle and I was blowing through the first 5 or so colossi so I turned it off.

Yes it was but I feel like they made them come up way quicker in the remake. I remember them not giving hints unless you were stuck for like 5-10 minutes in the original.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I still don't get why Bluepoint did this. I mean, it's pretty evident and even messes with the atmosphere at times.

I'm not sure how different it is from the PS2 version but I'm not really feeling the music in this. Seems like there's none while you're exploring and the colossus battles sound sloppy if you get thrown off a few times.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Cinematic mode on a 4K TV looks a ton better than the performance mode. For a game that is very much about the visuals, this can be very appealing.
This. My first playthrough was in Performance Mode while I was streaming - it looked great on my stream monitor. My second playthrough was in Cinematic Mode on my 4K TV. Flicking between the two on the TV is like night and day when it comes to clarity. I've stuck to to Cinematic Mode for pretty much everything now other than when I stream the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Just in case anyone here plays Sound Shapes, I made a SotC-inspired level a good while ago that was featured in a milkcrate (community spotlight). The name of the level is Colossal.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
PLEASE, Bluepoint, add a lantern item for Agro and Wander to make the night filter viable 100% of the time. I love it so much, but you can't see anything in darker areas. Hell, even just the torch would do.

Night filter + film grain is giving me an awesome b-movie/horror vibe.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find the music editing bad during the Colossus fights? Like it just abruptly starts or cuts off depending on if you jump on or fall off one.
Me. That stuck out to me in the PS2 already (in a bad way). Games like Red Dead Redemption have much smoother music editing - is it that hard to achieve? For the record: have no clue about (dynamic?) sound editing.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Believe me, I've played this game through more than any other. I don't know if there's a placebo effect for either of us or we're truly hearing differences.

But no matter, I'm treating this as a true remake and accepting all artistic differences and liberties that aren't the fault of a lack of effort (ie, idle face when holding up the sword, absorbing tentacles etc). Efforts to "make it right" out of spite of this remake instead of as a tribute or remembrance of the original is poor form in my opinion.

I just hope that some of the more positive reactions can be measured along with the issues, gripes and nitpicks. Many may know your love of the title, but it isn't the only opinion worth acknowledging. It just seems like that's how it's been coming across leading up to launch and now. You have to remember I only know who you are BECAUSE of our shared love of SotC from back on gaf. You need to give some respect back and not lump many of us as outside of the "dozens of times" group lol.
yes, that comment did sting a little because of my investment in this title lol
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that I was some authority on the game compared to you. I didn't know your history with the game, so for all I knew you might not have been as familiar with the original. I think the number of people claiming a music volume difference should suffice as proof of their being one though. I was playing the PS3 and PS4 versions back-to-back, and the music is plainly louder in the original.

As for my recommended settings to reclaim the original's overexposed lighting and louder music, that was just for fun. I'm not suggesting that it is how the game is meant to be played or anything. People have been wanting filter suggestions for that since before the game launched, so I thought I'd share mine.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Funny thing happened.

Onto the 5th colossi. The Sword Beam pointed to an area. Went there without looking the sword again.

So reached a lake after some platforming and swimming. Having played SOTC on ps2 i was convinced this is the area of a colossi. So did everything but the Colossi didn't appear. Tore my hair out literally. Searched every nook, went to all submerged objects but Nothing.

Turns out 5th colossi isnt there at all. Thats a different one appearing later in the game.I was like lol, wasted 45 mins there.

So having played the game earlier isnt always good at all :p

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Finally found a repeatable glitch! When you're on 3's platform, there's a spot where you can reach the outer walls of the lake by using the 'repeatedly opening and closing the parachute to gain extra momentum' thing. You'll have to fight with the rocks since they've got that thing going on where you can't jump or it is very hard to jump, plus the game actively tries to push you back into the lake. You can eventually get past them and get to a point where you can fall through the ground.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I don't know if my game is bugged at the moment or if I just never noticed before, but if I place the camera directly above Wander (looking down on him) the grass texture is extremely low-res and all of the foliage just looks like a bunch of flat textures placed perpendicular to the camera's perspective. Can someone else check to see if yours looks the same?

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streamed some footage of the glitch.

With how much distance I managed to get towards the end, I wonder if it would be possible to see the second colossus sitting out there in the void before your battle with it. Unless they've made it now that the colossi don't load up until after the battle starts. I'll see if I can check during my next playthrough since I'm past that colossus on my main save at the moment.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I don't know if my game is bugged at the moment or if I just never noticed before, but if I place the camera directly above Wander (looking down on him) the grass texture is extremely low-res and all of the foliage just looks like a bunch of flat textures placed perpendicular to the camera's perspective. Can someone else check to see if yours looks the same?

i got something similar the other day but i think to cause it i had to bounce the camera into a wall but this also made the mountains in the distance disappear too

DVoFqAnX4AAqd-Y.jpg:orig

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm so glad I can start the game in Hard mode from the beginning. If I recall correctly, in the PS2 version you had to beat the game first in order to unlock the Hard mode.

I've beaten the first 3 colossi and I'm having a blast. I played the original game so many times, that I already knew all of the weak spots of these first colossi before the battle even started. I wish my memory fails me in the next battles.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how different it is from the PS2 version but I'm not really feeling the music in this. Seems like there's none while you're exploring and the colossus battles sound sloppy if you get thrown off a few times.
I didn't notice that situation you describe during the battles; but regarding the audio mix, if you want to have a taste of the original version turn the sound fx slider to approx 60% (like ScOULaris suggested). That's what I did and now it feels true to the original audio design, and it's beautiful.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My girlfriend is playing it now for the first time, going for her 4th colossus now. Graphics are amazing but I expected the animations to be better, seeing how he walks up and down stairs is clearly a PS2 era quality lol.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
After messing around with different settings and filters I'd like to share my findings with those of you who would like to bring back the hazy, overexposed look of the original game. These settings will also bring the sound mix more in line with that of the original.

SotC Original Conversion Pack

Filter: Faded (75% intensity)
Brightness: 40%
Music Volume: 100%
Sound Effects Volume: 60%
Dialog Volume: 60%

I was switching between the PS3 remaster and the PS4 remake trying to get them as close together in audiovisual aesthetics as I could. These were the combination of settings that worked best for me, but feel free to share your own if yours differ.
Thank you very much

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to perusing the comparison shots in the in-game gallery, and... wow. Yeah, this had been cemented as my definitive version of the game since launch day, but now there's just no way I'd ever suggest PS2 or 3 versions to a newcomer. No desire to go back to overblown bloom and flat cliff faces, no matter how strange looking this iteration of Wander is, or how "weird" his sword stance might be. My favorite shot was that of the opening bridge, where it's clear that the PS2 version has an almost comically overdone bloom that the remake lacks. It was a cool technique back then, but in modern context, it's way too much. Just visit colossus 13's desert area on PS2/3 if you need to see what I'm talking about. You'll damn-near blind yourself unless your sword is out.

I think people honestly believe others will place the same value on the main character's animation and the way the Forbidden Lands are lit that they do. In reality, that's 10% of the entire package, if we're inclined to be generous. Newcomers will be paying more attention to whether or not the world is immersive and believable, and this remake does absolutely everything to ensure it is. I just love the detail and craftsmanship on display here, and the commendable efforts (and success!!) of the dev team to bring this to modern audiences. I'm not denying the hangups, I'm just choosing to look at the 95 things they got right, instead of the 5 they got wrong.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Started the game today and can't believe it's running with stable 60fps on my Pro. I'm constantly blown away. So much respect for Bluepoint Games.

Oct 25, 2017
12 colossus's down in normal time attack mode. Super easy for the most part. The only ones left are the potentially annoying ones like Phalanx, Malus, Fish and Turtle.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I am enjoying this remake a lot and love the general visual fidelity and the fact that the devs went for a buttery smooth 60fps mode on PS4 Pro - my god, this is the best feature I ever could have asked for. Also, the controls feel perfect - as Digital Foundry said, the perfect balance between responsiveness and the "weight" of the original game.

But I just cannot get over how bad Wander looks. Not only does he look way worse than the original character; this may also be the worst looking main character of any game I've played in the last 10 years. His wax mannequin face and plastic hair look absolutely horrible. This is the character you're supposed to feel connected to, as he represents your connection to the actual game world! I am still hoping for a patch that fixes this terrible, dead wax figurine.

DVqnrx6XkAA5rGb.jpg

DVqnW2lXUAEBx-z

DVw06p3X0AA249b

I also think the developers' interpretation of Wander's haircut is completely off. His hair originally looked like your typical layered, messy, feathery hairstyle you see a lot in manga or Japanese games. With the new haircut I cannot help but to think of this guy:

1674624,vADbWDL43NRAF3Y53Z1Pp1Z76LkGhMHep_p_6W7601FwpWgi6UYEvgJgPeOS3+TzP7qqwCcLyODdR79920XjOw==.jpg

DVqnb9BXkAA63_2

Another thing the original did much better was how the light beams connect to the sky. In the original you just couldn't see anything at all because the sky was all bloomy. In the remake, if you look up in the sky, the re-used assets remind you that you're just playing a game.

DVw3yZtWAAAht9B

This sounds nitpicky for sure, but I am easily bothered by things like these, especially in a game that is more piece of art than game.

These are my main gripes with the visuals though, the rest is pretty much perfect (which makes the ugly face stand out even more).

Last edited:

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
My second playthrough is on Permance mode with motion blur turned off. It definitely plays like butter. That being said, I appreciate and enjoy Cinematic mode more. I will use Performance mode for quick play-throughs like Easy and when I go for the Hard speed trophy. But I will use Cinematic for all playthroughs I want to take my time with and especially with Photo mode.

Well they kept it like the original where only Dormin's male voice is heard after colossus 16. Indicating that the female Dormin went into Mono to Resurrect her. I definitely believe that she shares a connection to the dark queen in Ico.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game yesterday and it remains as good as I always knew and remembered it is.

I finished it on hard, no sweat, and got the speed trophy. But I'm wondering why the easy and normal galleries did not unlock. I finished the game on the highest difficulty, do I really need to go back and finish it again each time on the two lower difficulties to unlock the bonus stuff?

I was a little disappointed, as I wanted to start NG+ soon.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Almost got all the trophies, only 3 left which all require more playthroughs to get max stats (for that specific trophy and then climbing up a place I won't spoil here).

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Just started after only playing this when it originally released.

I see it still has the horrible camera that just about ruins the enjoyment. How hard is it to add an option to disable the camera auto moving.