• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's not the most cheerful game. It is somber and melancholic. I'm also finding it peaceful just wandering about the beautiful world, looking for shrines and fruit tress and shit. The colossus fights are just something I end up doing eventually but I'm taking my sweet time with the game.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I honestly don't remember stamina lizards being this hard to hunt down. It's actually quite annoying. Were they always this evasive?

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
hNFxJWc.gif

R1TVW8p.gif

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't remember stamina lizards being this hard to hunt down. It's actually quite annoying. Were they always this evasive?
I think in the original game they even disappeared into the scenery after a while.

At least that's what I remember. It's the most annoying part of the game, thankfully it's optional.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSA for anyone as dumb as me that is always annoyed by Agro slowing down/moving inconsistently. Tap Triangle to go, then HOLD Triangle to keep going. To slow him down you can just pull back on the reigns while still holding triangle.

What I had been doing through Colossus #12 was just tapping triangle every few seconds to go and trying to manually steer him through all the twists and such...you dont need to do that lol. He kind of auto navigates when you simply hold triangle.

Last edited:

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't think you can nab lizards any other way but shooting them first (even in the OG game).

Anyway patience is a virtue.

Oct 31, 2017
You can go over them and hit them with your dagger, too.

Just defeated Colossus 14. I loved when I figured it out years ago -- it was like this gigantic crazy set piece before Uncharted was a thing. I still love it.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am farily certain 11 needs to be patched.
I got onto his back and got no single opportunity to stab. Only a split second after he shakes but no matter how I positioned myself, I stabbed armor for some reason. 30 minutes later I got onto his back again, via a fireplace, and stabbed him to death within 20 seconds (I could even charge and his movement had no influence on me). This guy is glitched.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I've got left to do is max out stamina and health, and then hunt down those coins. Playing through this again has been a total blast and I'm going to be a little sad once it's time to put it down. Wandering through the Forbidden Lands is always a strangely calming and zen experience. There's no game like this and I always feel a little empty after finishing up a playthrough.

The more I play it though, I think the only big disappointment for me is the sound effect changes. So many of the colossi sound so generic now. There's a few new sounds the colossi make that I really like, but overall I feel like a lot of their sound effects have lost their impact or sound completely forgettable now. Plus the intro and death cutscenes often feel unnaturally quiet due to the changes, like the 14th colossus's death scene for instance. The second colossus losing its shriek when you strike it is another big loss too. It made you feel bad for it and now it barely makes any sound at all when it's struck.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Finished hard time attacks.

They weren't that bad really. I had one strange glitch where I lost my grip on one wing even though I had it pressed. Other than that most were done first time.

Straight back on it now to find the shrines and try to max my stats out.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think you can nab lizards any other way but shooting them first (even in the OG game).

Anyway patience is a virtue.
I don't find them that difficult to shoot with an arrow. You can always just run up to them and slash them with your sword as well.

I always thought it was a nice touch that you can capture just their tails without killing them if you hit them right in the tail too.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I recall them being worse in the original. This time around, they mostly seem to stick to the shrines; I vaguely recall them abandoning ship as soon as they detected you in the original.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Just completed the 6th Colossus and I'm not really feeling this at all. I made a post earlier about hoping this would change after having beaten the second Colossus but after six, I've realised it's not for me. I kind of almost regret purchasing the game because I really wanted to like it and due to word of mouth over the years and the hype it carried I guess I was expecting something more.

It really is just a Colossus battle after Colossus isn't it? I don't see anything else to do unless I'm not looking hard enough? The world looks beautiful but I don't want to explore for the sake of exploring if I get nothing meaningful out of it. I guess in a way I am exploring when I set out looking for a Colossus. The Colossus' themselves aren't particularly difficult to beat (playing on hard mode). Most have the same weak points so it's easy to know where to look, I guess the only frustrating aspect is the grip meter.

The camera and controls don't make the gameplay particularly enjoyable either

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the Fifth Colossus and I'm loving this game. It's weird how I never played this back in the day seeing as climbing giant monsters is the hypest shit lol

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am farily certain 11 needs to be patched.
I got onto his back and got no single opportunity to stab. Only a split second after he shakes but no matter how I positioned myself, I stabbed armor for some reason. 30 minutes later I got onto his back again, via a fireplace, and stabbed him to death within 20 seconds (I could even charge and his movement had no influence on me). This guy is glitched.
Did you beat him like youre supposed to?

It sounds like it glitched but youre not supposed to get on his back until after youve broken his armor.
How its supposed to go spoilers: To break his armor youre supposed to have him slam into the fire thing and a glowing stick pops out. You grab the stick then climb the side of the fire thing to light the stick. The bull is scared of the fire so you keep moving toward it and guide it off the edge between those pillars until he falls down outside and his armor breaks. Then youre supposed to jump onto him and his weak spot should be revealed.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I play on PS4 Pro on a 1080p TV would cinematic mode do anything? Or would I need to turn on that new pro super sample setting

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is amazing. I'm looking at it like a remade PS2 game (which is what it is) as opposed to some brand new game and I have no idea how they made the world so big. It's massive. And they did this in the PS2 era? It's crazy.

I still have better memories of Ico but I think if I went and replayed that today it might not stay my favorite of the 3 games. My memory of TLG is that it's by far the weakest of the three games. It wasn't bad really just the god awful controls in that game really hurt it for me.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you beat him like youre supposed to?

It sounds like it glitched but youre not supposed to get on his back until after youve broken his armor.
How its supposed to go spoilers: To break his armor youre supposed to have him slam into the fire thing and a glowing stick pops out. You grab the stick then climb the side of the fire thing to light the stick. The bull is scared of the fire so you keep moving toward it and guide it off the edge between those pillars until he falls down outside and his armor breaks. Then youre supposed to jump onto him and his weak spot should be revealed.

Yeah I did.

I let him trip over the edge with the torch, he fell down, I landed on his back, couldn't stab at all. And during the split second I could stab, I didn't damage him. Until after some time I landed on him from the brazier, and charge stabbed him like 6 times in a row.

Oct 25, 2017
God Malus sucks. Stomped all the other Colossus in a 5-10 minute range but Malus took me 40 minutes. He just would not stop moving his hands.

Finished now and I don't know man I feel like Wander's face and lacking body animations kinda take away from the experience. They definitely took away some of the emotional resonance of the ending.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think in the original game they even disappeared into the scenery after a while.

At least that's what I remember. It's the most annoying part of the game, thankfully it's optional.
I think you are confusing them with Dark Souls lizard, they never used to disappear.
Anyway in the end I started Normal Time Trials too...and I ended up on beating 10 of them. Really, I always found Hard the way to play the game, Normal is just too easy and less interesting with the increased damage output and less vital points. Oh, dunno if you discovered it, but in this version you can get Agro with the Ico symbol by beating Hard Time Trial.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is amazing. I'm looking at it like a remade PS2 game (which is what it is) as opposed to some brand new game and I have no idea how they made the world so big. It's massive. And they did this in the PS2 era? It's crazy.

I still have better memories of Ico but I think if I went and replayed that today it might not stay my favorite of the 3 games. My memory of TLG is that it's by far the weakest of the three games. It wasn't bad really just the god awful controls in that game really hurt it for me.

I still need to beat TLG. I am past the halfway point but the fact I've been staring at the solution for minutes and then the AI would just decide to fuck me over isn't fun to me. Just give me the controls. Thats why I prefer ICO, I am solving the puzzles and doing the heavy work while Yorda is simply following me.

Oct 31, 2017
God Malus sucks. Stomped all the other Colossus in a 5-10 minute range but Malus took me 40 minutes. He just would not stop moving his hands.

Finished now and I don't know man I feel like Wander's face and lacking body animations kinda take away from the experience. They definitely took away some of the emotional resonance of the ending.

I just had the same problem but found
stabbing his hand holds it in position.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN

I played the PS3 version right before this remake and I gotta say, the lacking of certain in-game animations and some deliberate changes (Wander's new combat stance) really changed my impression of his character in this remake. The lost facial animations and better footing made me feel like I was playing as a trained warrior, his new stance with the sword upright ready for combat compared to his exhausted stance, sword held awkwardly, untrained, but still determined. Wander was characterised so much through his in-game animations, his desperation, exhaustion, determination, and lack of training so beautifully expressed, he felt so alive.

I guess these otherwise nitpicky changes aren't really that important to the mass, but to me I never felt Wander's struggle quite as powerfully in this remake as I did the original. All these tiny changes and omissions made me feel like I was playing as a corpse in comparison, the static in-game facial animations resembling a custom created character in an RPG. Once I learnt how to pet Agro in this remake (different controls man) I went right into photomode and my heart dropped a little bit before I busted out laughing. That damn face...

6ZANO.jpg

I think this is an incredible remake and have loved the amazing effort Bluepoint has put into redesigning the forbidden lands. The world can look absolutely mind blowing, and I damn love the filters you can use to add variety and totally change the mood. The photo mode is incredible as well. Oh, and don't even get me started on the 60fps mode supported by the Pro, Shadow of the Colossus has never played better!

I'd definitely love more classics to get the remake treatment to this quality, I of course still think the originals should be ported over too but that's a different topic. I'm a huge fan of Team Ico's output, and I of course love Shadow of the Colossus, and I of course love this incredible remake. But this is why it hurts knowing that Wander's character suffered in this incredible translation. Obviously this doesn't effect the majority, but ever since the original controversial thread had posters pointing out the downgrade I knew this was something that would distract me, and sadly it did. Wander didn't feel like the same little dude that I've been playing as for the last 12 years, he felt like a different character, and a much less expressive one at that.

Sorry for the horrible pic, don't wanna ruin everyone else's enjoyment, just bums me out knowing I can't enjoy this thing as much as most due to my OCD brain not letting go of this one flaw. Here's a nicer pic to go out on.

dMhYI.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
His face is fine, it emotes, he looks around, blink, grimaces when attacking etc.

His hair does move and blows in the wind.

His
transformation is fine as he gradually gets more and more pale while dark veins get more prominent rather than just looking dirty until late game (my honest assumption back then, first time around).

...it's just the lack of mouth animation when he's panting and lack of blinking/emoting when holding up the sword or taking damage that kills the entire face package for me.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Finished and it was my first playthrough!

I'm honest. It wasn't that great when I played The Last Guardian but God, I really fucking love the soundtrack and the world.

But I've got few question, may someone answer them, please?

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 31, 2017
The one thing I'm perplexed about, not story-wise, but as far as unlocks post-game:

I played it on Hard and received NOTHING in the Comparisons gallery. You have to actually beat it on Easy and Normal where it says to beat it on Easy/Normal, though in other games, if something unlocks on Normal (usually trophies), usually it also will unlock if you beat it on a normal difficulty.

I was actually shocked to see that nothing in the Comparisons gallery unlocked. O_O

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
On the 7th Colossus, put in several hours. It's my very first time with it. So far I love the world. It feels very Lord of the Ringsy, like Middle Earth in atmosphere and visual design. It feels serene and peaceful, but mysterious and I like that.

Some gripes are the camera getting wonky when on the colossi and controlling Agro. I'm not a fan of that. My initial reaction on mounting Agro the very first time was "Who the hell designed these controls!?". Feels unintuitive but I've since gotten used to them and I tolerate it now.

Eager to continue later tonight though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished and it was my first playthrough!

I'm honest. It wasn't that great when I played The Last Guardian but God, I really fucking love the soundtrack and the world.

But I've got few question, may someone answer them, please?

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Dormin had horns. It's also a reference to the original team's previous game, ICO.
ico_1.jpg

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I seem to remember the 6th Colossi to be harder originally where I took it down very easy here. I think getting on it was always troublesome.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
His face is fine, it emotes, he looks around, blink, grimaces when attacking etc.

His hair does move and blows in the wind.

His
transformation is fine as he gradually gets more and more pale while dark veins get more prominent rather than just looking dirty until late game (my honest assumption back then, first time around).

...it's just the lack of mouth animation when he's panting and lack of blinking/emoting when holding up the sword or taking damage that kills the entire face package for me.
His head movements are really janky looking and much less dynamic compared to the original which also greatly added to his desperation when running away from things and such (especially the colossi tendrils). Tiny little things that added a lot of character. There was pre-release footage of him emoting a scream while stabbing a colossus that is for whatever reason missing from the final release. His blank expression totally ruined a beautiful shot I had lined up while stabbing a colossus. I'm still kinda hoping for some post launch support that might polish things up a little bit. His skin also looks a little off, kinda adds to the corpse look I feel when playing as this version of Wander. That's my only real big criticism with this remake, in-game Wander. Oh, and a real tiny nitpick here, I hate how his cape stops animating at the shoulders, like it's glued there. Really sticks out once noticed.

I really gotta sit back and admire the scope of this remake though. It's been a long time since Shadow of the Colossus has awed me with it's world. I really feel that is one thing that Bluepoint deserve infinite praise for, recapturing the scale of the original.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
On the 7th Colossus, put in several hours. It's my very first time with it. So far I love the world. It feels very Lord of the Ringsy, like Middle Earth in atmosphere and visual design. It feels serene and peaceful, but mysterious and I like that.

Some gripes are the camera getting wonky when on the colossi and controlling Agro. I'm not a fan of that. My initial reaction on mounting Agro the very first time was "Who the hell designed these controls!?". Feels unintuitive but I've since gotten used to them and I tolerate it now.

Eager to continue later tonight though.
Agro has her own AI, hold triangle when in intricate areas and she'll navigate her way through for you. Also learning how to take off at max gallop, doing a u-turn, and a hard break will help you out big time. Learning how to ride her at first feels unintuitive, but after awhile it'll become second nature and you'll learn to adapt to all the quirks. Still the best horse riding out there! Oh, and make sure to press the square button to express some affection for your colossi killing companion!

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agro controls are fairly good. Most you have to do is hold triangle. He will steer you through small paths and over bridges. Just don't touch LS there.

You can kickstart with down+triangle from stand still. 180 degrees turn with down+triangle,triangle. Hard stop a run with down + triangle. Standing on him with R2+up i think. I use it to climb shrines but you can probably have an edge on some Colossi with it?

The issue is the camera and inverted controls when looking behind. Especially when you have to shoot also.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Agro is the best horse in gaming control wise IMO. Well, it's like you don't control Agro directly but Wander who gives the commands to Agro. Love that and it's almost the best thing in the game for me :D

Oct 27, 2017
There was pre-release footage of him emoting a scream while stabbing a colossus that is for whatever reason missing from the final release.

Not true. This is my pic I used to disprove that.

I can't believe I got a little worried about an unanimated face before playing it because of that stupid thread.

PS4, photomode

ps_messages_20180205_gks5g.jpg

Granted, I'm still annoyed by the stiffness in the instances I mentioned earlier lol.

Edit: just give me a blinking, determined face while holding up the sword and make his mouth open when panting and I'm perfectly content.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Agro is the best horse in gaming control wise IMO. Well, it's like you don't control Agro directly but Wander who gives the commands to Agro. Love that and it's almost the best thing in the game for me :D
I just want to push forward on the thumbstick and have him move myself. It's so simple and smooth in games like AC Origins.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There was pre-release footage of him emoting a scream while stabbing a colossus that is for whatever reason missing from the final release. His blank expression totally ruined a beautiful shot I had lined up while stabbing a colossus.

Can we stop with the hyperbole and misrepresentation of Wander, his face and animations already?

I can't believe I got a little worried about an unanimated face before playing it because of that stupid thread.

PS4, photomode

ps_messages_20180205_gks5g.jpg

I get why some people can dislike the face but it can actually look quite good, depending on the angle.

1518253469-shadow-of-the-colossus-tm-20180210095038.png
People claim he doesn't emote/scream while stabbing enemies, but he actually does, people also claimed he doesn't transform anymore, which also isn't true, people claimed his sword wouldn't hang to the ground anymore, which is also not true, people claimed he wouldn't hunch over anymore, which also isn't true and so on and so on...

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The controls certainly take some getting used to. They're outdated to say the least.

The visuals are pretty amazing, though.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Not true. This is my pic I used to disprove that.

Granted, I'm still annoyed by the stiffness in the instances I mentioned earlier lol.
Awesome stuff, I've been using photo mode like a mad man trying to capture Wander being expressive whilst stabbing a colossus. Every shot I get is Wander about as emotive as myself taking a stroll through the park. Guess I've been unlucky in that department. I actually really like Wander's new face, he looks really good under the right conditions, just some tiny tinkering and skin shaders or something could go a long way. Panting and such while sprinting and exhausted would help too. I'm not holding out for a patch or anything, this game does seem pretty damn polished otherwise.