• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is it me or does the improved performance make the game a lot easier? I remember spending like 20-30 minutes on a Colossi back in 2005 and getting pissed off with the camera/controls/framerate but now I'm rinsing some of them in like sub-5 minutes.

The camera is still pretty wack but the game is awesome.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or does the improved performance make the game a lot easier? I remember spending like 20-30 minutes on a Colossi back in 2005 and getting pissed off with the camera/controls/framerate but now I'm rinsing some of them in like sub-5 minutes.

The camera is still pretty wack but the game is awesome.

Since they're using the ps4, BluePoint is using some of the extra power to improve the inverse kinematic calculating. I.e. wanders feet slip less

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. There's another tiny cut scene change that pisses me off actually:

The eagle doesn't squawk right at the end of the credits.

Anyway, overall, I would say the PS4 version doesn't ruin the artistry of the original. Throughout most of the game the lighting and atmosphere resemble the PS2 version. More importantly, the picturesqueness of it all is preserved, and it's even enhanced by the increased level of detail for distant objects and terrain. Whatever fog and mist was in the PS2 version is still there on the PS4 however. There are some tiny details I miss from the PS2 version. There are also a handful of locations and scenes where the lighting and hue is significantly different from the PS2 version. In the last cut scene in particular the sort of heavenly dream-like nature of the shrine is replaced by a more realistic lighting scheme.

Also, I do think that overall this actually looks more like Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn than a Team Ico game (read: The Last Guardian). That's not necessarily a bad thing, just different. It looks like a minimalist version of Uncharted 4 or Horizon, which in itself might be one of the best things about this game. Colossus is now the only modern open-world game with AAA graphics AND a sense of minimalism that doesn't flood you with compasses, waypoints, and NPCs giving you a bunch of tasks. As far as open-world games go it looks as good as Horizon but isn't as cluttered, letting those graphics stand out and speak for themselves.

All-in-all this version is probably going to stand alongside the PS2 original (not the PS3 version), but not replace it entirely.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing and had to stop it, my wife wanted to watch a movie.

However, the first 5 minutes are dope. Just epic cinematography, and the sound, oh man. Playing on my home theater is just wonderful. Can't wait to play tomorrow after work

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have to collect all of those damn fruits and kill those lame lizards like in the PS3 version for the platinum?

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm loving this game, and this is coming from someone who first played the PS3 remaster last year and was underwhelmed. The game is absolutely gorgeous. This is probably what it felt like to play the original PS2 release at the time, haha. I finally get it!

Also, I just discovered Reminiscent Mode. Pretty cool, but is there a way to disable the filter?

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize this was a budget release. Now it's tempting to pick. But I think I should still hold off since I'm still playing Monster Hunter and some SNES Classic games. I rented the original back a while ago. I got through the first three colossus but didn't go beyond that. I played it well into the 360 lifespan and it was difficult playing the game with all the performance issues it had.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First time playing and this game is incredible. Just beat the fifth colossi and damn that was so much fun. Glad I know next to nothing about the game. Figuring things out just feels so good. I wasn't sure where to attack on the fifth colossi so I kept stabbing then figured based on previous colossi where it's weak points should be. They haven't exactly been difficult so far on hard mode.

Also I'm sold on cinematic mode. 60 fps is glorious but good god this game deserves to be played at the highest resolution possible.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
literally stuck on the 3rd colossus for an hour lol. i keep running up his sword and then trying to grab onto his leg to climb higher and higher but there's no jumping points and eventually my stamina runs out.
Just remember that everything is not as it first seems in this game. Each of the Colossi is like a puzzle. I know what you are doing wrong in this particular case but I don't want to spoil it for you. Just remember if you get stuck, examine the Colossi carefully and your surroundings and try to figure out if there is anything you are missing. If you are banging your head against something for an hour you're missing something specific.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Shrine or Worship is such an iconic, beautiful, unique and powerful location/piece of architecture. You'd be hard pressed to find something else like it in any other game. In the remake it shines all the more.

39433953844_6357d10b59_o.png

26272127158_7eb69d989d_o.png

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
One little touch I like is how if you just sit one the menu screen it will eventually switch to Agro cam and you can watch her frolick about the game world.

Oct 27, 2017
The way the camera tries to constantly float back into position is incredibly annoying.

Yep, I immediately noticed this as it screwed me on a couple platforming jumps. Wish the player had full 100% control over the camera without it doing that weird offset movement thing. I also wish the camera was pulled back a bit as well.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Beat the second colossus today. My god, the game is still amazing. Somehow, in my mind, the game always looked liked this when it released. It's incredible that technology has finally cached up with this game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
There actually is a trophy for maxing out the health and stamina bars...
Yeah but you can just kill colossi for that. You have to do several playthroughs to get the plat anyway, and colossi are a much faster way to increase your stamina (lizards can be a pain to hunt and give you like a pixel on the stam bar).

One little touch I like is how if you just sit one the menu screen it will eventually switch to Agro cam and you can watch her frolick about the game world.
Yeah, that was in the original too. I think there was also a version you could trigger where the camera followed a hawk instead.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Question
Does the corruption not visibly show on Wander anymore as he kills Colossi? I've killed 7 Colossi and Wander still looks the same as far as can tell

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First timer here

Just beat the fight colossus after about an hour and a half total play time. Really enjoying it.

I like how each new colossus builds upon what you've learned from the previous ones. It introduces one new thing to keep itself fresh which is awesome.

I said it before in this thread but I just love that I can traverse this open-ish world and not have to worry about having to collect anything. I'm exploring for the sake of exploring and to take the world in. They don't make games like this anymore =/

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Question
Does the corruption not visibly show on Wander anymore as he kills Colossi? I've killed 7 Colossi and Wander still looks the same as far as can tell

It's still there
although the corruption is a bit slower. Look at his wrist and neck area and that's where you first start seeing it creep in.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Glad for all those experiencing it for the first time. Enjoy this masterpiece. And please, please play it with headphones/earphones if you can.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Took me 45 mins to beat Colossi 3.

Kept falling while reaching the Arm :p Though climbing a Colossi never gets Boring.

The Music is still the best of the best.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nomad Colossus is an actual dude that has been exploring, hacking and mining information from the world and assets of Shadow of the Colossus for like ten years.
Yeah I know, I posted about that in this same thread. But you can also refer to Nomad Colossus
as Wander himself. In the end Wander=Nomad, and he turns into a colossus.
It as just an interpretation, and as I told in my post that's probably only a reference to Nomad which will lead to nothing in terms of tucscene/additional boss/etc.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
This game keeps crashing when I try to pick up a gold coin. Different locations same result. On reload you can pick it up but nothing changes in the stats for special items collected? Then find another and crash again.

I'm using Pro performance mode. This is souring me on the whole thing tbh.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This game keeps crashing when I try to pick up a gold coin. Different locations same result. On reload you can pick it up but nothing changes in the stats for special items collected? Then find another and crash again.

I'm using Pro performance mode. This is souring me on the whole thing tbh.

that is strange.. had the game crash on me once (on my standard PS4), but that was not related to anything.
But there is no counter in the stats.. look at the map. There is a counter on the map.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here is the map with a pointer to the coins..

loXp9Ps.jpg

look down in the corner in the clouds.. see the number 57? that is the counter-..

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Third time I buy this game day one. Though Ico is still my favorite (I really hope Sony makes Bluepoint remake that one), I absolutely adore this game. Only played less then an hour, and mostly ran around the world and taking pictures in photomode. Stopped after the first Colossus, which took a me a little more time then I had expected, as failed my timing getting on his back a few times.

DVdyBLPXcAEOHMu

This remake is amazing. The new graphics lift it up for me, and it's great to be able to play without framerate hitches.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game, but man oh man is there some glaring issues. For one, the horse AI is incredibly stupid and the controls for it are awkwardly unresponsive or too sensitive. Jumping from your horse is angering. The camera constantly forcing itself in one direction is just dumb and useless.

Other than that I can't complain too much. Burned through 7 collosi in 2 hours. Didn't think it be this easy on my first playthrough. Maybe should have played on hard.

Last edited:

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Anyone else experienced quite severe screentearing inside the Shrine of Worship? Using HDR and Performance Mode.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it after just 5 hours.I actually didn't have any problems remembering what I need to do for each Colossus.

Still a masterpiece and a worthy remake.

Now I want to play ICO!

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
I absolutely love this game. There should be a notification before you play the game to wear headphones, like in Hellblade. You NEED that music blasting down your ears as you fight the colossi / explore the world. Can't wait to explore tonight. I've been getting into Monster Hunter but all I can think about is getting home and playing this.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Played this for about close to 2 hours yesterday. First time playthrough so all of this is new to me. I've actually always been meaning to play this way back when the remastered version released for the PS3 but I guess now was a good time to actually play it. I've heard a lot of good things said about this game and through word of mouth really is why I wanted to check this out.

First impressions and it might change, but I think it's just okay. I've completed the second Colossi. Nothing has so far astounded me or made me feel like I had been missing out on playing this. Music is great though and the boss encounters are good. Visuals are simply gorgeous and I'm playing on a base PS4. I'm sure it will look even better on a Pro.

My main gripe is with the camera and controls. I don't like how the camera is not centered behind the character and is actually sort of offset to the right. It always feels like I'm having to span the camera around to get a good overall centre view. I like to explore and look around the world but again the camera sort of interferes with that. Using the R1 button to highlight a Colossi while on horseback, I found my character looking up at the sky. Instinctively I assumed you'd be able to use the left analogue stick to control the horse as normal and the right analogue stick to control the direction of the sword.

Anyway outside of the Colossi, is there anything else to do in the game? So is it simply making your way from one boss to the next? No other points of interest or anything?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway outside of the Colossi, is there anything else to do in the game? So is it simply making your way from one boss to the next? No other points of interest or anything?

Please don't just race from colossus to colossus. :( Especially now that the game world is so full of love for detail. Wander (no pun intended ;)) a bit around. There are shrines to be found to pray at, there are lizards with glowing tails to hunt that give you more grip and fruit trees that give you more health. There are also mysterious glowing coins to be found that make you explore off the beaten path, like climbing down into a canyon or climbing up into a temple ruin nestled in the cliffs. There are easter eggs and secret areas, the most famous and beautiful being the garden on top of the big tower. But you need a lot of grip to get there. So hunt those lizards!
Take your time and take in the beauty and atmosphere around you, contemplate where this all came from and what might have happened in this strange, forelorn land. This game is art, one should enjoy it like one enjoys art. :)

Last edited:

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just for curiosity, was anyone able to get the special trophy on colossus 8 on Hard?
I think it's not possible, even by using the jump stab I can't damage both vital points in one run.